closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch for 50th

Watch for 50th

I don’t post often as to be honest my interest in watches comes and goes. Over the years I’ve had a few fairly nice watches from manufacturers like Stowa (went through a phase with them), Sinn, Seiko, Tag, a Tudor Blackbay. For the last few years I’ve just had two watches that I really enjoy - a lovely 1970 Datejust 1600 with a silver sunburst dial on an Oyster bracelet and a Maurice Lacroix Pontos S diver which is a beautifully made hunk of retro yet modern dive watch.
    With my 50th looming my wife has asked me if I would like another watch. Tricky one as I wouldn’t mind but not sure what. I admit I’m not that excited by the idea unless it’s something quite special, which probably means a budget of £15k. My taste is more towards a sport watch sized 37-42mm rather than a dress watch, but not a chrono. Massive choice I know and I’m probably a bit out of the loop. I know I don’t want a Rolex as it feels way too predictable and they don’t really do much for me apart from the 36mm vintage Datejusts, which are like little jewels, and I own about the nicest one of these you’ll ever see. Models I’ve seen which I like the look of as a used buy in this price range are some of the VC Overseas range and IWC Ingenieur. I also like the look of the AP Royal Oak but probably out of my price range. A colleague has a Patek which I think is an Aquanaut which I really like too but they are beyond the budget. With this tricky brief it would be great to get any other ideas and your thoughts! Thanks

Craftsman
    Not a sports watch but what about a Dornbluth?

I feel they are one of the more special watches out there and are made to order.

Bulgari Octo Finissimo

Although the rrp is 10.5-12.5K the grey price is 8-9K

Review here:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...steel-in-depth

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be looking at a pre owned VC Overseas. I had the pleasure of trying one on recently and it felt very special.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I would be looking at a pre owned VC Overseas. I had the pleasure of trying one on recently and it felt very special.
    That is a good call. I also like the fiftysix

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    +1. Also OP there is a beauty on SC I think still available. It’s an LTD Ed too so rather special. I would have got it but already have a 4500v so I feel it would be greedy :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    +1. Also OP there is a beauty on SC I think still available. It’s an LTD Ed too so rather special. I would have got it but already have a 4500v so I feel it would be greedy :-)
    I’ve probably looked at that listing 20 times! Just think I would prefer one with the date at 3 o’clock and on a bracelet. But overall a used VC overseas with a blue face on a bracelet is top of my list.

Master
    Rose gold Blancpain fifty fathoms would be gettable within budget. Yes it is 45mm, but wears much smaller, and is imho a beautiful timepiece.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Another one for a VC overseas. I got the 4500 for my 50th you could say. It was 17k and now around 19k so maybe if you could find a pre owned one possibly? For me the 3 strap options give it such versatility that you could easily just have one watch forever (obviously on a watch forum I’m making that up and should be locked up for blasphemy). One thing I’ll stress is that personally no pictures do it justice - seeing it is the only way you’ll know how
    Special it is. I’d go and try one on if you can.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    I’ve probably looked at that listing 20 times! Just think I would prefer one with the date at 3 o’clock and on a bracelet. But overall a used VC overseas with a blue face on a bracelet is top of my list.
    I got mine 4500v just in your budget 2nd hand - but you may not be able to get a blue faced one at that price even 2nd hand now.. search carefully.

Master
    I've recently acquired a Tag Monaco and it's really grown on me it's different without being outrageous, easy to read and a pleasure to look at.
    Happy birthday whatever you decide.

How about an Omega Seamaster 300m? I had overlooked them but they are superb and seem to perfectly match your criteria. Well within budget.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    How about an Omega Seamaster 300m? I had overlooked them but they are superb and seem to perfectly match your criteria. Well within budget.
    Thanks but the only Omega I really like is a Speedmaster. Borrowed one once for a month off a friend and it wasn’t that comfortable so I decided against buying one.

At the moment I think my clear favourite is VC Overseas. I have actually seen one Rolex that I do really like - the rose gold Yachmaster. Can’t see any in budget though!

You don't seem too blown away by the idea of a new watch, very luke-warm about it all. Have you considered something else as a gift?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    You don't seem too blown away by the idea of a new watch, very luke-warm about it all. Have you considered something else as a gift?
    Actually you are right and I must admit that having re-read my posts I sound very ungrateful. To be honest I think I’m at the time of life where I have everything I want materially. Another nice watch would be...nice, and maybe something else to leave to my son eventually but I can’t get seem to get massively excited about it. Maybe I need to reflect on this a bit more. My wife says I’m an awkward bugger to buy for as if I’ve wanted something enough I’ve already bought it for myself. I feel sorry for her sometimes!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Thanks but the only Omega I really like is a Speedmaster. Borrowed one once for a month off a friend and it wasn’t that comfortable so I decided against buying one.

At the moment I think my clear favourite is VC Overseas. I have actually seen one Rolex that I do really like - the rose gold Yachmaster. Can’t see any in budget though!
    It is rather lovely

It is rather lovely
    Pick of the litter imo, even with the belters in your collection.

It is rather lovely

Yes that really is a stunner!

I like YM very much. I should have one.

Master
    One of those new spring drive diver Grand seiko are nice. Also think the Piaget Polo S is a lovely, well made sports watch that doesn't get enough attention

Sent from my SM-A405FN using TZ-UK mobile app

I love Panerai. You can see this Luminor Marina 2392

https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec...na---42mm.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you not call any of the ADs and explain the circumstances and with hard cash get a nice new GMT?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wainy001 View Post
    Can you not call any of the ADs and explain the circumstances and with hard cash get a nice new GMT?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    What GMT? I'm so confused by your post, did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    What GMT? I'm so confused by your post, did I miss something?
    It confused me too. I don’t want a GMT!

Craftsman
    Fifty Fathoms Barakuda is probably the right answer. Ticks all the boxes. Either that or a VC Overseas like you said.

Although I have to say that it doesn't sound like you exactly want a watch and so I'd have a little think about what else £15k might buy you instead.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Caminos;5569251]I love Panerai. You can see this Luminor Marina 2392

https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec...na---42mm.html

+1

Thanks for all your comments. After looking around I have to say I think my favourite is this rose gold Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra. Hits the spot for me in terms of something a little bit special and I’ve actually never owned an Omega. It’s can be bought for a real bargain price too at the moment (down from £15k to just over £9k!):