I don’t post often as to be honest my interest in watches comes and goes. Over the years I’ve had a few fairly nice watches from manufacturers like Stowa (went through a phase with them), Sinn, Seiko, Tag, a Tudor Blackbay. For the last few years I’ve just had two watches that I really enjoy - a lovely 1970 Datejust 1600 with a silver sunburst dial on an Oyster bracelet and a Maurice Lacroix Pontos S diver which is a beautifully made hunk of retro yet modern dive watch.
With my 50th looming my wife has asked me if I would like another watch. Tricky one as I wouldn’t mind but not sure what. I admit I’m not that excited by the idea unless it’s something quite special, which probably means a budget of £15k. My taste is more towards a sport watch sized 37-42mm rather than a dress watch, but not a chrono. Massive choice I know and I’m probably a bit out of the loop. I know I don’t want a Rolex as it feels way too predictable and they don’t really do much for me apart from the 36mm vintage Datejusts, which are like little jewels, and I own about the nicest one of these you’ll ever see. Models I’ve seen which I like the look of as a used buy in this price range are some of the VC Overseas range and IWC Ingenieur. I also like the look of the AP Royal Oak but probably out of my price range. A colleague has a Patek which I think is an Aquanaut which I really like too but they are beyond the budget. With this tricky brief it would be great to get any other ideas and your thoughts! Thanks