closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPad info help

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

iPad info help

Sooooooo, I need to upgrade Wifey's iPad as some of the books she now wants to download require a more modern iOS, she is on an iPad 2 at present, so the question is, what iPad will be roughly the same size as a 2, has the updated iOS and I can buy cheap? (She only surfs the net and reads it in bed)

mike

iPad 2 ought to be able to just be updated to latest IOS no?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Both hers and mine say that we have the latest which is 9.3.5, the books she wants ask for 11. And above.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Both hers and mine say that we have the latest which is 9.3.5, the books she wants ask for 11. And above.
    Ah - not sure then sorry

I think you'll need an iPad Air 2 at the least? Original iPad Air support was discontinued this summer so won't get iOS 13 or whatever they call it these days. For my money I'd just buy the latest iPad (not air or pro) at £329 if that's all she's using it for and you want to stay with the Apple ecosystem.

Edit, to quantify - you could get an Air 2 cheaper second hand or refurbished, but you need to make the call as whether or not you want to buy something with a better chip (A8X vs A12) and potentially longer support life befire you have to do this again.
    Last edited by Gromdal; 27th October 2020 at 11:19.

I was curious, so found this:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209574

Not sure if 11 is latest ios either.

Compatibility with Ios11
    iPad

• 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation)
    • 12.9-inch iPad Pro (1st generation)
    • iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
    • iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
    • iPad Air 2
    • iPad Air
    • iPad (6th generation)
    • iPad (5th generation)
    • iPad mini 4
    • iPad mini 3
    • iPad mini 2

Darn, took me so long to remember how to screen print on a Mac that everyone beat me to it!
    IOS 14.1 is the current latest release

Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    I think you'll need an iPad Air 2 at the least? Original iPad Air support was discontinued this summer so won't get iOS 13 or whatever they call it these days. For my money I'd just buy the latest iPad (not air or pro) at £329 if that's all she's using it for and you want to stay with the Apple ecosystem.

Edit, to quantify - you could get an Air 2 cheaper second hand or refurbished, but you need to make the call as whether or not you want to buy something with a better chip (A8X vs A12) and potentially longer support life befire you have to do this again.
    That’s actually outrageous that they don’t support the products they sold you. Wonder if there was anything at the time that said we won’t support you for ever’

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    That’s actually outrageous that they don’t support the products they sold you. Wonder if there was anything at the time that said we won’t support you for ever’
    No company can ever guarantee their oldest equipment will work with all the updates - the hardware won’t be future proof forever. I actually moved to iOS from android phones partly because a lot of android phones get the latest updates for just 18 months and that’s it!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I think truth be told it's the limitations of trying to make an OS fit all hardware specifications with correct optimisations (he says while using Windows 10 on 2009 hardware) but certainly for the mobile products from 2012 the technology has moved on so much that it would be so inefficient to do so. My iPad 3 is also back on 9.3.5 and it can literally only be used as a web browser - apps such as iPlayer, Prime Video are all long unsupported on it to the point where I'll be trading it in soon. In fact, OP should look at the Apple trade in value because they offered me £50 for my iPad 3 last week when I was umming and ahhing over the latest iPad Air because at this point the older iOS devices are little more than paperweights.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    I think truth be told it's the limitations of trying to make an OS fit all hardware specifications with correct optimisations (he says while using Windows 10 on 2009 hardware) but certainly for the mobile products from 2012 the technology has moved on so much that it would be so inefficient to do so. My iPad 3 is also back on 9.3.5 and it can literally only be used as a web browser - apps such as iPlayer, Prime Video are all long unsupported on it to the point where I'll be trading it in soon. In fact, OP should look at the Apple trade in value because they offered me £50 for my iPad 3 last week when I was umming and ahhing over the latest iPad Air because at this point the older iOS devices are little more than paperweights.
    Trade in sounds a decent option

I love iPads and Apple products, but recently when my lad broke his, we got him a Kindle Fire HD 10 inch, if it is really is just to be used for browsing and reading, it’s a great low cost alternative.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Didn’t even think of kindle jase, I will have a look at those too