closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Bremont "Broadsword" Bronze Watches

Craftsman

New Bremont "Broadsword" Bronze Watches

Just got a email in about these new Bremont bronze watches. This is my favourite:

It also comes in Slate and Tobacco dial colours. So now I know what colour Sotek is - a sort of slate-grey? Is it something military?

Reasonably priced too for Bremont. At least they did not call it "Broadarrow"!
    Last edited by Tatters; 27th October 2020 at 10:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Just got a email in about these new Bremont bronze watches. This is my favourite:

It also comes in Slate and Tobacco dial colours. So now I know what colour Sotek is - a sort of slate-grey? Is it something military?

Lovely, another Bremont.

I googled Sotek, and found that he's (it's) a character from the popular teenagers' Dungeon & Dragons-like role playing game, Warhammer! Apparently he's the Serpent God of the Lizardmen.

This is useful, as Bremont will doubtless have included some of his scales in the movement to increase its toughness.

Master
    Interesting that Vertex made a similar watch, the M100, as homage to the WWW watches and then a later version in bronze. And now Bremont follow suit with a steel then a bronze. Seems a bit copycat to me.

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    Interesting that Vertex made a similar watch, the M100, as homage to the WWW watches and then a later version in bronze. And now Bremont follow suit with a steel then a bronze. Seems a bit copycat to me.
    And the Vertex looks better as well.

Blog Entries
    To little to late.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post

That's my favourite colour of the 3👍

Very nice watch. I have to said that the bronce has nit been attractive for me, but this one is very nice.
    Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    As an ex employee and having spent a lot of time working on this model, what I can take away from this latest release is the amount of sh*te that marketing spew out about it.
    Aside from that the CuSn8 case is nicely made.

Master
    I do like the look of these watches, and will keep an eye out when bucherer and Chisholm hunter have their sales on as bremont are invariable the ones being discounted

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Cwsellors have £500 off when you spend £2500 or more. The code blk500 works for bremont models including this.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    As an ex employee and having spent a lot of time working on this model, what I can take away from this latest release is the amount of sh*te that marketing spew out about it.
    Speaking for myself, Bremont's marketing material turns me off the brand. I think if they emphasized more some of the technical aspects like hardened cases, starting a watch company from scratch, level of in house manufacturing, factory tours and stopped bringing out "special editions" every 3 months, I might get more interested in them. My thinking is that if you're asking someone to shell out £3k for one of these, you're going to have to expect the customer to have a level of watch knowledge/interest/appreciation and be buying it because they think it's a good watch and the design speaks to them, not because someone's put a crest on the back/wood from an old aeroplane inside/tenuous connection with historical event.

Rant over! I'll have a lie down.

Master
    I hope they make a follow up called the Danny Boy.

hardly a revelation that marketing departments have a certain way with words, from any company. It might help if you can point some of it out rather than just sounding like a disgruntled ex-employee.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    and stopped bringing out "special editions" every 3 months
    they're far from the only watch manufacturer that releases 'special editions' on a regular basis, although every 3 months might be stretching things a little.

one thing I find strange about your comment is that everything you want them to emphasise, they do. From day one they've promoted the technical aspects of the watches they manufacture and offered tours of the hq - not of the factory though as it's no where near the hq. I dare say that might change once the new building is complete.

as for this comment "My thinking is that if you're asking someone to shell out £3k for one of these, you're going to have to expect the customer to have a level of watch knowledge/interest/appreciation", I think that you're mistaken in the belief that every person buying a £3k watch will have a level of watch knowledge. the vast majority of people buying watches at that price point are doing so because they can afford to and want a nice looking watch that wears well. Most won't have a clue about the technical aspects, just the minority on forums like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    I hope they make a follow up called the Danny Boy.
    Perhaps with the case back engraving 'The world is gone so bad that wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    I do like the look of these watches, and will keep an eye out when bucherer and Chisholm hunter have their sales on as bremont are invariable the ones being discounted

I got in touch with Chisholm Hunter in July when I got my S300 and was offered 20% off but decided to buy from Banks Lyon as I'd heard good things about them and could drive there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    they're far from the only watch manufacturer that releases 'special editions' on a regular basis, although every 3 months might be stretching things a little.

one thing I find strange about your comment is that everything you want them to emphasise, they do. From day one they've promoted the technical aspects of the watches they manufacture and offered tours of the hq - not of the factory though as it's no where near the hq. I dare say that might change once the new building is complete.

as for this comment "My thinking is that if you're asking someone to shell out £3k for one of these, you're going to have to expect the customer to have a level of watch knowledge/interest/appreciation", I think that you're mistaken in the belief that every person buying a £3k watch will have a level of watch knowledge. the vast majority of people buying watches at that price point are doing so because they can afford to and want a nice looking watch that wears well. Most won't have a clue about the technical aspects, just the minority on forums like this.
    Whereabouts is the factory ??
    I worked in engineering for 45 years and I was impressed when I saw the manufactured of the casebacks on the CNC's.
    The Spindles must've been flying at 10,000 revs when they were drilling.

I’d love to hear more about your time there. I’ve recently been looking at Bremont and I’m starting to wonder if I should fall for the whole Merry Old England spiel or not. I like the look of their Solo and U2 models. I tried one on recently and was surprised at how well the 43mm case wore.

Master
    hardly a revelation that marketing departments have a certain way with words, from any company. It might help if you can point some of it out rather than just sounding like a disgruntled ex-employee.
    I'm certainly not disgruntled, I enjoyed my time there but I most definitely had the blinkers on whilst working there. Case in point, describing the bronze case as a "living metal" and continually pushing it in every bit of social media. To me if feels like they are treating people like idiots that don't know anything. Second point in case, the whole "approved by her majestys armed forces". You don't see Christopher Ward and Casio pushing that like a hard sell even though they have exactly the same deal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    I’d love to hear more about your time there. I’ve recently been looking at Bremont and I’m starting to wonder if I should fall for the whole Merry Old England spiel or not. I like the look of their Solo and U2 models. I tried one on recently and was surprised at how well the 43mm case wore.
    Wait until their new factory is up and running and book yourself on a tour. The MB cases are all made there and they do more than their fair share of in house manufacturing (excluding the movement).

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Whereabouts is the factory ??
    I worked in engineering for 45 years and I was impressed when I saw the manufactured of the casebacks on the CNC's.
    The Spindles must've been flying at 10,000 revs when they were drilling.
    Henley on Thames.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Perhaps with the case back engraving 'The world is gone so bad that wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.'
    Heh, quite.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Lovely, another Bremont.

I googled Sotek, and found that he's (it's) a character from the popular teenagers' Dungeon & Dragons-like role playing game, Warhammer! Apparently he's the Serpent God of the Lizardmen.

This is useful, as Bremont will doubtless have included some of his scales in the movement to increase its toughness.
    More authentic than some of their other marketing - I for one welcome our Lizard God overlord.

I'm certainly not disgruntled, I enjoyed my time there but I most definitely had the blinkers on whilst working there. Case in point, describing the bronze case as a "living metal" and continually pushing it in every bit of social media. To me if feels like they are treating people like idiots that don't know anything. Second point in case, the whole "approved by her majestys armed forces". You don't see Christopher Ward and Casio pushing that like a hard sell even though they have exactly the same deal.
    You may not be disgruntled but you do sound like the Trump appointees that left either of their own volition or otherwise:-). May be there was a good reason for parting of ways. All the best for your future endeavours.👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You may not be disgruntled but you do sound like the Trump appointees that left either of their own volition or otherwise:-). May be there was a good reason for parting of ways. All the best for your future endeavours.
    Well we all know the reason that Trump appointees left were because they couldn't put up with their boss any longer :D

In all seriousness, I have no ill will towards Bremont and did not part on bad terms. I have just had it up to my eyeballs with what comes out of the marketing department. "Living metal" just tops it off for me.

Second point in case, the whole "approved by her majestys armed forces". You don't see Christopher Ward and Casio pushing that like a hard sell even though they have exactly the same deal.
    That bit amused me. Approved by HM Forces actually just means they paid the MoD marketing department a wedge of cash to obtain the rights to apply the logos to their watch.

Case in point, describing the bronze case as a "living metal" and continually pushing it in every bit of social media. To me if feels like they are treating people like idiots that don't know anything.
    I can't see why that would bother you so much? Just do an internet search for 'living metal' and bronze is right there along with some others. In a way, I think it's a good way to let buyers know that it does patina. You seem to be calling people that don't know about patina "idiots" and yet when I spoke to a local jeweller about a Tudor bronze watch the salesman told me immediately about the patina as they had so many people returning the watches when they did patina as they considered it a fault.

as for your comment about social media, isn't that just how marketing works for every company now?

Second point in case, the whole "approved by her majestys armed forces". You don't see Christopher Ward and Casio pushing that like a hard sell even though they have exactly the same deal.
    I disagree. Christopher Ward push that on a regular basis, I'm on their mailing list and see it mentioned regularly even to the point that I mentioned it once when it seemed that CW and Bremont were bringing out two very similar ranges at exactly the same time. Casio have such a huge range that any promotion will get lost in the swirl. I regularly advertising for Red Arrows watches though. Advertising is just that, you can ignore it easily enough or just take it on board if it's of interest.

I'm not sure he has to. The whole Bremont marketing waffle is excessive guff and lotsa bull$hit

Master
    I can't see why that would bother you so much? Just do an internet search for 'living metal' and bronze is right there along with some others. In a way, I think it's a good way to let buyers know that it does patina. You seem to be calling people that don't know about patina "idiots" and yet when I spoke to a local jeweller about a Tudor bronze watch the salesman told me immediately about the patina as they had so many people returning the watches when they did patina as they considered it a fault.

as for your comment about social media, isn't that just how marketing works for every company now?

I disagree. Christopher Ward push that on a regular basis, I'm on their mailing list and see it mentioned regularly even to the point that I mentioned it once when it seemed that CW and Bremont were bringing out two very similar ranges at exactly the same time. Casio have such a huge range that any promotion will get lost in the swirl. I regularly advertising for Red Arrows watches though. Advertising is just that, you can ignore it easily enough or just take it on board if it's of interest.
    We'll have to agree go disagree. With a background in material science, describing bronze as living metal just sounds shit.

Master
    I think it is fair to say that cw do use the military element a fair bit. There are currently three maybe four watches that they sell that have armed forces links. I think they look great in their own rights.

I do like this new bremont offering though as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks
    We'll have to agree go disagree. With a background in material science, describing bronze as living metal just sounds shit.

"Dear Sirs, I purchased one of your recently launched 'living metal' series, and having seen Terminator 2, I write to express my extreme disappointment that the watch completely failed to melt through a sieve and re-assimilate on the kitchen counter".

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I'm not sure he has to. The whole Bremont marketing waffle is excessive guff and lotsa bull$hit
    such as? Without specifics I can only assume that 'it takes one to know one'

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just can't fathom why it bothers you? Marketing and science were never going to be bedfellows

Quote Originally Posted by tucola View Post
    "Dear Sirs, I purchased one of your recently launched 'living metal' series, and having seen Terminator 2, I write to express my extreme disappointment that the watch completely failed to melt through a sieve and re-assimilate on the kitchen counter".
    you need to brush up on your films - the T1000 was liquid metal or mimetic polyalloy, not living metal

It may sound it but it’s a fairly common description for bronze in watches and is hardly new to Bremont. If you want naff imagine what it would be like if either of the two big boys started making bronze watches. The exact same metal would be trademarked ‘Bronzidium’ and patented as a wonderful new colour changing proprietary metal.

I had a long hard look at the Bremonts in the window of a jewellers. Lots of them.

I kept comparing them with the Time Factors Smiths Everest Expedition on my wrist.

Especially the white dialled three-hander, time-only, no complications ones (oh, I think they had the date; big deal.)

Now I didn't (and haven't) actually handled a Bremont but it was a £300-odd watch vs a £3, 000 watch -- and I preferred the Smiths.

I don't suck up to Eddie or go in for some of the BS here but honestly if they'd been the same price I'd picked the one I was wearing.

Bremont seem have bought the Rolex playbook: lots of military / explorer marketing until they finally manage to make their own in-house movements and then double down on the PR and double up on the price.

A plague on both their houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I had a long hard look at the Bremonts in the window of a jewellers. Lots of them.

I kept comparing them with the Time Factors Smiths Everest Expedition on my wrist.

Especially the white dialled three-hander, time-only, no complications ones (oh, I think they had the date; big deal.)

Now I didn't (and haven't) actually handled a Bremont but it was a £300-odd watch vs a £3, 000 watch -- and I preferred the Smiths.

I don't suck up to Eddie or go in for some of the BS here but honestly if they'd been the same price I'd picked the one I was wearing.

Bremont seem have bought the Rolex playbook: lots of military / explorer marketing until they finally manage to make their own in-house movements and then double down on the PR and double up on the price.

A plague on both their houses.
    I’d pick the Bremont, the Smiths aren’t of interest to me and certainly not at £300. What does this prove? Well nothing other than everyone has an opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    😂 you’ve just described pretty much all marketing!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I’d pick the Bremont, the Smiths aren’t of interest to me and certainly not at £300. What does this prove? Well nothing other than everyone has an opinion.
    What's the price got to do with it? I mentioned the prices as they differ by a factor of about 10 but even at the same price I'd have gone with the one I bought. Are you saying that the higher the price the more likely you are to be interested in a watch? If so, plenty of big names have seen you coming and are happy to cater to you. Would you be more interested in the Smiths if Eddie stuck an extra zero on the end of the price? And if you look at residuals / resale values the Time Factors are a pretty good bet whereas you'll lose money on a Bremont. (A couple of TF Smiths have recently topped £500 on ebay.)

My opinion is subjective (mainly aesthetic) but also founded on some objective criteria, price (new and resale) being among them. Objectively, some pretty high end brands (e.g. IWC) use Sellita movements so it's not even the case that you get what you pay for.

As my mother says (English is her second language) "A fool and his money are some party." I think a lot of High Street jewellers and ADs would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post

- - - Updated - - -

 you’ve just described pretty much all marketing!
    I would pick the Bremont too- any day of the week.

What's the price got to do with it? I mentioned the prices as they differ by a factor of about 10 but even at the same price I'd have gone with the one I bought. Are you saying that the higher the price the more likely you are to be interested in a watch? If so, plenty of big names have seen you coming and are happy to cater to you. Would you be more interested in the Smiths if Eddie stuck an extra zero on the end of the price? And if you look at residuals / resale values the Time Factors are a pretty good bet whereas you'll lose money on a Bremont. (A couple of TF Smiths have recently topped £500 on ebay.)

My opinion is subjective (mainly aesthetic) but also founded on some objective criteria, price (new and resale) being among them. Objectively, some pretty high end brands (e.g. IWC) use Sellita movements so it's not even the case that you get what you pay for.

As my mother says (English is her second language) "A fool and his money are some party." I think a lot of High Street jewellers and ADs would agree.
    🤔

Bremont have their own niche of the market both here in the UK and all over the world. If you don't like them go and do something different. I wouldn't buy them because I know of better watches for the price but if I was given one I would love it and wear it with pride.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Journeyman
    Just to reserect an old thread, I really like the look of the Broadsword Bronze with Teal dial.
    I have never owned a Bremont and wouldn't mind adding one to the collection.
    I watched a few video reviews last night, the majority of which pointed out that this watch was vastly overpriced.
    Not sure what the forums thoughts are on this?
    Are discounts available anywhere?
    What are the advantages of the Vertex 75? It is a little cheaper but any other selling points?
    Cheers

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman53 View Post
    Just to reserect an old thread, I really like the look of the Broadsword Bronze with Teal dial.
    I watched a few video reviews last night, the majority of which pointed out that this watch was vastly overpriced.
    What are the advantages of the Vertex 75? It is a little cheaper but any other selling points?
    Cheers

If you like it and can afford it buy it. Simple.

Master
    I wonder what Mr Banks take on Omegas 'Liquid Metal' marketing strategy.

Master
    Sh*te, like most watch brands marketing. But I do love Omega liquid metal watches, having owned a liquid metal PO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman53 View Post
    Cheers

Having owned a broadsword, buy the Vertex. If anything you get the broadsword on the logo, but the lume is far superior and the packaging is nicer IMO. It comes in a pelicase rather than a canvas bag, and if it means anything to you the movement is an ETA and not a Sellita. Other than that there aren't many other big differences.

Journeyman
    Having owned a broadsword, buy the Vertex. If anything you get the broadsword on the logo, but the lume is far superior and the packaging is nicer IMO. It comes in a pelicase rather than a canvas bag, and if it means anything to you the movement is an ETA and not a Sellita. Other than that there aren't many other big differences.
    Thank You!

Master
    Sorry, meant to say to get the broad arrow on the dial (and not a made up acronym).

I'm seriously coming round to Bremont as a brand. The new movement looks great and is getting pretty damn close to being truly and fully in-house (whatever that actually means).

I even quite like some of their watches, too!

Well, that's all. As you were, gentlemen.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm seriously coming round to Bremont as a brand. The new movement looks great and is getting pretty damn close to being truly and fully in-house (whatever that actually means).

I even quite like some of their watches, too!

Well, that's all. As you were, gentlemen.
    It will be Interesting to see what they do with that movement in the next model.

Bremont co-founder Nick English on bringing industrial watchmaking back to Britain
    https://www.watchpro.com/the-big-int...o-britain/?amp

The Bremont ENG300 is absolutely gorgeous. I love the balance bridge.