closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Comfortable, re-usable Face Mask Recommendations please

Comfortable, re-usable Face Mask Recommendations please

Hi,

With no sign of the need to wear a face mask in shops etc, I was wondering if anyone had found a really comfortable re-usable one that they could recommend please?

We've been using disposable single use ones up until now, but this seems like a lot of waste, given that we will need these for the forseeable future

Thanks
    John

Master
    Purchased a couple of three packs of the Adidas ones.

https://www.adidas.co.uk/face-covers...ck/H08837.html

Craftsman
    Paisie masks are well made and the most comfortable that I’ve found:
    https://www.paisie.com/collections/face-masks

Journeyman
    Some searching should show the thread from a month or two back where masks were discussed extensively, in it someone recommended https://mymaskie.com/collections/all which is what I went with. Decent fit on me with adjustable ear loops, reasonably priced and has been through 8-10 washes as a guess, seems reasonably well made.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Tried a few now and Mars Knitwear gets my vote, about £35 for three. Generously sized so real comfy if you have a big fat manly face like moi

Knitted face masks - surely less effective at filtration than cotton? I need large, so would be interested otherwise.

P.S. Thanks for the Alder Hey link, some duly purchased - my wife's forever telling me I need to brighten up.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 27th October 2020 at 01:08. Reason: P.S.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Charles Tyrwhitt look good

https://www.ctshirts.com/uk/mens-acc...es/face-masks/

Or, if you're feeling brave, one of these would reduce the size of the queue in the Post Office...

https://www.ruroc.com/en_gb/lite-snood-plasma.html

I’ve got these. Very comfortable and hard wearing.

https://www.notjustclothing.co.uk/co...ons/face-masks

Perfect TZ_UK!

Going from disposable 20p face masks to £30 snoods in ten posts

Just save up for the one you really want, are you on 'the list' yet?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The problem with the fancy ones are that they often have multiple thick layers and make it more uncomfortable to wear. I bought cheap black cotton ones from eBay which turned out to be double layer so I cut one of the layers out to make it as thin as possible. It also prevents my glasses from steaming up as my breathe just escapes out of the front rather than being ducted upwards over my eyes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Perfect TZ_UK!

Going from disposable 20p face masks to £30 snoods in ten posts

Just save up for the one you really want, are you on 'the list' yet?

M
    But which masks are the best investment?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    The problem with the fancy ones are that they often have multiple thick layers and make it more uncomfortable to wear. I bought cheap black cotton ones from eBay which turned out to be double layer so I cut one of the layers out to make it as thin as possible. It also prevents my glasses from steaming up as my breathe just escapes out of the front rather than being ducted upwards over my eyes.
    Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of wearing one though?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Adidas for me as well, think they were £12 for 3.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of wearing one though?
    Depends what the purpose is. If it’s to comply with the current law then it doesn’t defeat the purpose and I can’t see any difference between a single layer of cloth and a paper mask that people seem to re-use for a month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    'This season's must-have accessory: face masks made from Tyrwhitt's favourite fabrics. Perfect for the socially distanced man about town or for running essential errands in style'

Can't decide if that's taking the mick or genuinely what they think...

Blog Entries
    Depends what the purpose is. If it’s to comply with the current law then it doesn’t defeat the purpose and I can’t see any difference between a single layer of cloth and a paper mask that people seem to re-use for a month at a time.
    Could be true I suppose.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    'This season's must-have accessory: face masks made from Tyrwhitt's favourite fabrics. Perfect for the socially distanced man about town or for running essential errands in style'

I think the stores have realised more and more people will migrate from the temporary option of having a nappy look of the paper mask to paying more for something that looks better. I think they are serious!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Tried a few now and Mars Knitwear gets my vote, about £35 for three. Generously sized so real comfy if you have a big fat manly face like moi
    These are the ones I have ended up using. Definitely the most comfortable although it does get a tad warm if worn for long periods of time.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 9 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post

Sounds like the usual sales spiel... I do like how the mask doubles as a pocket square. Not sure how the silk will stand up to washing!

Now, and there's no way around this, I have a big nose. Aquiline I think it's called. Anyway, have yet to find a mask that fits securely under my chin whilst also staying put on my nose.

Any recommendations?

Craftsman
    I have a couple of sunspel masks which are comfy and very generously sized

Craftsman
    I'd recommend the Livinguard - comfortable and anti-viral: https://nowshop.uk/pages/technology

There is no difference in reality, you're right. But IMO both examples are equally as daft as each other and the comparison proves the ineffectiveness, but also proves why I see value in buying a decent face mask.

It's impossible to know how many asymptomatic people you're close to, who see no point in masks so only have a single layer of cloth over their face (or a month-old paper mask) and are unknowingly spreading the virus. Masks may only reduce rather than remove the risk, but that's still more of a reduction than not wearing one.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, I've bought a few from Etsy that have a pocket inside for a removable filter. They're washable and the filter can be changed regularly, but they're also pretty cheap. I paid less than a fiver each.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I find the maskie ones really comfortable.
    https://mymaskie.com/collections/all...ts/maskie-loop

you can wear them as is or with a filter, which is fine for me.

Have a look at your favourite charity website, they will probably sell masks that’ll raise a few bob for a good cause rather that some schuyster out to make money off the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Have a look at your favourite charity website, they will probably sell masks that’ll raise a few bob for a good cause rather that some schuyster out to make money off the pandemic.
    Refer to my earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I'd recommend the Livinguard - comfortable and anti-viral: https://nowshop.uk/pages/technology
    Please be ultra cautious with any facemask that claims to be ‘anti-viral’ - I don’t have time to look into their science / testing reports now but as a rule I like to see peer-reviewed evidence (which they may / may not have).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Make your own. Like so:

I've posted about this extensively down in Covid thread in the Bear Pit. You want one layer of quilted window e-cloth, the sort that doesn't need detergent and one layer of something tough to protect it and do the primary filtration. Personally I have ended up using linen or cotton Jaquard material as it is strong but has a low pressure differential. The reason you want the window cloth is because these modern e-fabrics rely upon the Van De Waals effect to capture dirt and grease. There are several long posts in the BP with all the research behind this but I'm not searching them out now. So that's the material.

Next you want a pattern. The one I have used repeatedly is this one:

https://www.infirmiers.com/pdf/masque-tissu.pdf

Heres someone making a mask using this pattern to help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-RR...0&t=+%E2%80%9C

There are two changes I'd make. Don't use an easily bendable wire for the nose. They just don't work over extended use. Get a coat hanger and cut a length about four inches long - bend it so that it perfectly fits your nose and all the way down to underneath your eyes.
    sew a tunnel that you can slide it into when the mask is almost finished.

Second, make the length of the earpieces adjustable.

Finally I'd also be generous with the material cut on the bottom of the mask, It just looks nicer when it fully covers the chin. Oh, and shave! This mask has a reasonable pressure difference when properly seated - you can wear it all day, but don't run or project your voice or breathing in will get exciting!

To be clear, I think that one of the things we should have had back in January was a national homemade mask standard, with clear instructions about construction, materials and so on. The science had been done both in Europe and the US. However there is no mask standard and so, while I feel I have researched and modified the mask to be most effective and to offer excellent protection for others, a gas tight seal and at least some protection for the user, it is just one bloke on the internet's idea and Kirk is absolutely right as usual, so do your own research and satisfy yourself of the effectiveness of both fabric and design before using it anywhere risky, like Wetherspoons!

As for use, I run about five at a time, (which took me a couple of hours to make, a competent sower not using a 1920's Singer would probably be a damned sight faster) and wash normally. The science on that is that the effect improves for about 150 washes and then degrades slowly after that. I have a bag with a selection of masks and dog poo bags - when I've finished, or after a high risk situation I stick the mask in the dog poo bag. I wash infrequently and just empty the bag onto a warm sunny widowsill and leave it for a day or two. I'll switch to radiators
    Last edited by M4tt; 27th October 2020 at 23:46.

Lots of the options don't look to have wires at the nose which makes them far less useful if you wear glasses. Given the proportion of the population who do wear glasses, I am somewhat surprised by that.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    These are the best I've tried

https://theugleymaskcompany.com
    I checked these out, bought one yesterday, it arrived today and is so good I've bought a pack of five. Thanks for the recommendation. Oh and my glasses don't mist up either.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    What I've been using for one of my jobs working in a cafe; very comfy for a eight hour shift.

https://www.the-body-doctor.com/buy-facemasks/

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I checked these out, bought one yesterday, it arrived today and is so good I've bought a pack of five. Thanks for the recommendation. Oh and my glasses don't mist up either.
    Thanks, have bought some as it's frustrating having my glasses steam up with the disposable ones.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

I'll give one a go if they work with glasses!
    Dave E

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Adidas for me as well, think they were £12 for 3.
    Me too but had to get my wife to replace the ear loops with normal elastic as they are no good for a large turnip head.

I have bought some of these for work. The guys in the warehouse use genuine N95 disposables and they are not in any way comfortable. Will report back on their success.

Thanks for the link,
    Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, bought a couple based on recommendations here to try. Reporting back, the Paisie one works well for me with glasses, fits my face well and doesn't cause misting. I'll be getting more of those. The Ugly company one doesn't, I get misting. Seems to be something to do with face shape and how exactly your glasses sit: my wife tried it (she also wears glasses) and it is fine for her.
    Dave E

Quote Originally Posted by D3ckard View Post
    I have bought some of these for work. The guys in the warehouse use genuine N95 disposables and they are not in any way comfortable. Will report back on their success.

Thanks for the link,
    Simon

I found these to be super comfortable. Clearly faces, like opinions, vary.

Very soft material but with a large and optional 2.5 filter. All in all, I’m very impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    These are the best I've tried

https://theugleymaskcompany.com
    Another vote - bought a pack of 5 kimono pattern as a result of this thread.
    They’re well made, material feels good, comfy, eco packaged, take a carbon filter if you want, etc

And a nice little thanks-for-buying card from the owners

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Another vote - bought a pack of 5 kimono pattern as a result of this thread.
    They’re well made, material feels good, comfy, eco packaged, take a carbon filter if you want, etc

And a nice little thanks-for-buying card from the owners

Also bought the kimono 5 pack and a set of filters. Decided to use the filters as if I’m going to wear a mask, I may as well make it as effective as I can, within reason.

https://cambridgemask.com

I have one of these and find it very good.

Which? Have published a face mask guide on their website and made it free access

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/face...s-awLeA3A6XoZD

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Which? Have published a face mask guide on their website and made it free access

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/face...s-awLeA3A6XoZD
    Great info, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

Look very similar to these:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...archweb201603_

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9660266.html

Indeed. Valved respirators only protect the wearer, and that's not the idea in this scenario.