closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Flight cancellations

Craftsman

Flight cancellations

Hi, I booked return flights to Hong Kong last February leaving on the 29th November. The flights so far have not been cancelled but even if they are not it’s not feasible to take them due to CV19 restrictions . Anyone in a similar situation ?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    Hi, I booked return flights to Hong Kong last February leaving on the 29th November. The flights so far have not been cancelled but even if they are not it’s not feasible to take them due to CV19 restrictions . Anyone in a similar situation ?

Are they still scheduled to take place at the exact same time as when you booked them?

We managed to get an easy refund with Virgin on some flights to the states because they’d adjusted the times slightly outside of their bounds of fairness which meant their policy enabling us to claim refund was triggered.

Craftsman
    I will check ..

Master
    Blog Entries
    Generally speaking, if you booked before Covid was a thing and cannot travel due to government policy at either departure or destination then your insurance will cover it.

If you book now, you're pretty much on your own as Covid is a known quantity unless as above the airline cancels or changes the flight significantly in which case you're entitled to a refund.

Master
    [QUOTE=Kitz;5568064]Hi, I booked return flights to Hong Kong last February leaving on the 29th November. The flights so far have not been cancelled but even if they are not it’s not feasible to take them due to CV19 restrictions . Anyone in a similar situation ?

Yep, in exactly the same boat. We booked our trip before Covid was a pandemic and at the moment we can't get into any of the countries we are going to (Singapore, Australia and Malaysia). Realistically, we don't expect to be travelling in January so as soon as we are cancelled we will re-book for the same time 2022, which is a bit of a shame as it was to mark a significant birthday of mine. That being said, it's not the end of the world as we are all well and we just need to be a bit philosophical about it.

I was meant to fly to Bangkok last month (come back in December), with Thai Airways.

Of course...this was cancelled...........Only trouble is, Thai Airways, are going through turmoil! I will be amazed if I get any of my money back...."Luckily"! I used some "frequent flyer" type miles.......so I will "only"! lose 400 and odd quid..Hey ho!

Journeyman
    yep. booked in Feb for this coming christmas. Up till end of last week BA saying no refund, it's still on. Today they said we can move date or get vouchers

I had flights booked to Thailand with gulf air for August. When I phoned In June I was offered the option to rebook for a different date which I really didn't want to do so I left it till nearer the date and the flights were then cancelled so I managed to get a full refund

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    I was meant to fly to Bangkok last month (come back in December), with Thai Airways.

Of course...this was cancelled...........Only trouble is, Thai Airways, are going through turmoil! I will be amazed if I get any of my money back...."Luckily"! I used some "frequent flyer" type miles.......so I will "only"! lose 400 and odd quid..Hey ho!
    Did you pay on credit card? If so, speak to your card provider.

How did you book - was accommodation booked at the same time to be considered a package. If so it might be ATOL protected.

If you booked and had insurance before March this year they might contribute. If booked after or purchased insurance after then corona is not covered.

If you paid the £400 on credit card and you have no joy from Thai Airways (do not accept a credit note), tell your credit card to refund you under section 75 of the consumer credit act. Your credit card company is jointly liable with the airline.

It can even be an overseas purchase, and long as it is on a U.K. credit card.

I booked one way flights from Aegean Airlines from Athena to London and paid in 800 Euros on a U.K. credit card. Aegean cancelled my flight an point blank refused a refund, and only offered a credit note.

I didn’t even bother arguing the toss, just rang up my credit card company and the credit was back on my card instantly, and after 90 days (45 days if the airline doesn’t appeal) the credit refund couldn’t be reversed if it was found in your favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Thejoker View Post
    yep. booked in Feb for this coming christmas. Up till end of last week BA saying no refund, it's still on. Today they said we can move date or get vouchers
    They want you to move the date or request vouchers because with vouchers you cannot then request a refund.

You can always get vouchers a week before the flight is scheduled, so why not wait. If the flight goes ahead, request vouchers much nearer the time if you don’t want to travel.

If they cancel the flight claim a refund.

They are playing you at the moment and it is not for your benefit

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    If you paid the £400 on credit card and you have no joy from Thai Airways (do not accept a credit note), tell your credit card to refund you under section 75 of the consumer credit act. Your credit card company is jointly liable with the airline.

It can even be an overseas purchase, and long as it is on a U.K. credit card.

I booked one way flights from Aegean Airlines from Athena to London and paid in 800 Euros on a U.K. credit card. Aegean cancelled my flight an point blank refused a refund, and only offered a credit note.

I didn’t even bother arguing the toss, just rang up my credit card company and the credit was back on my card instantly, and after 90 days (45 days if the airline doesn’t appeal) the credit refund couldn’t be reversed if it was found in your favour.
    I paid with my debit card.

The problem is, Thai Airways has to put refund requests from customers on hold as it undergoes debt rehabilitation proceedings through Thailand's Central Bankruptcy Court.

Im no financial wizard! So I rate my chances of getting any of my money back as mega remote! Seems like they owe money all over the place!

I paid with my debit card.
    Try a debit card chargeback. It is not enshrined in law like section 75 on a credit card. This Visa link gives an example for an airline chargeback.

https://www.visa.co.uk/chargeback.html

Unfortunately, if flights are still flying doubt credit/debit cards are liable.
    That travel to a country is difficult not fault of the airline, they are still providing the service paid for.