closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where would you buy a desk from?

Master

Where would you buy a desk from?

When I search online main places that come up are ikea, made.com, wayfair, John Lewis. Anyone got any other good suggestions? Or any desk suggestions for that matter?

I like this https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis...-desk/p3176350 but don't really want to spend that much!

Ideally don't want to wait months to get it!

Craftsman
    I went cheap and cheerful and bought a desk from an office clearance in Lichfield just down the road. Basically the same as what I had in my office at work just 1/3 smaller. Doesn’t look great, but it’s more sturdy than anything you’d get from IKEA.

Oh and it was a tenner..

Maybe worth a Scout on eBay if you’re not fussy. I spent much bigger on a chair which IMO is the important factor.

I wanted one that you sit or stand at and Ikea had a suitable option which works well. Other alternatives would be made.com

Currently sitting at this Argos Malibu 3 Drawer Office Desk: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8201100

It's ugly, on the small side and not remotely luxurious (a bit like me), but then again it is a paltry £60.

For an upstairs bedroom, now converted to an office that nobody else sees, it's fine. It's not remotely something I'd want in my living area.

But, it's easily assembled, surprisingly sturdy, the drawers work smoothly and the shelving is great for holding power packs, adaptors, boxes etc.

Having moved house just before lockdown and with options limited, it was quick & easy and got me out of a hole.

Will upgrade it eventually, and for £60 I won't feel like disposal will be a waste of money.

Edit: Something else to consider is physically getting the thing both to & into your home - the above Argos jobbie came flat-packed and was easy to collect & shove into the back of a hatchback and then carry up the stairs on my own, assembled in situ. A pre-built solid oak desk would be a lovely thing indeed, but less so to collect & manhandle around your house, unless you have transport and some help.
    Last edited by Stringer; 26th October 2020 at 18:08. Reason: Additional comment

I've bought from this company before.
    http://www.ukfurniturecompany.co.uk/...furniture-ltd/

i bought reasonably cheap computer desks at Argos about 20 years ago and they are still going strong.

however i would wager that quality is about half of what it used to be, just the way the world has gone.

could try local ads for quality used ones, you would probably get a more up market one for the same cost that way

I picked up an Oak Furniture Land desk off eBay. Apart from crap handles (replaceable) it’s a solid, sturdy modern oak desk.

Now that SWMBO is using the office, it’s no longer suitable for “our office” so will be up for the chop (not literally) once she’s sourced “suitable” desks!

Blog Entries
    From a second hand furniture dealer last time.........

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I bought a very nice desk second hand from a private Ebay seller years ago for a couple of hundred quid (new price well over a grand) - worth keeping an eye out for something you like, and if you can arrange to collect them you are likely to find something very nice with a bit of effort

eBay.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

For a computer desk where you don't need drawers - Make one
    Keep any offcuts for woodworking projects

Zebrano blockwood kitchen worktops, made into a custom fitted workstation - 6m of wood at around £100 per meter
    Cheaper wood is available, or you could upcycle / recycle.

I have one of these from the Swedish shop - surprisingly good quality.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/klimpen...rey-s79213895/

You can always get a nice chunk of wood from a kitchen top supplier and then place it upon e.g. Ikea Alex drawers. That way you can choose the exact wood, length, thickness etc.

Some even do a cutting service where you can have sections removed, e.g. if you use a monitor clamp on the back edge of the desk, which without the cut-out would mean the desk back isn't flush with the wall.

I've got an Ikea desk and there's nothing wrong with it. I put my Mac on a riser and it's got space to run a second Cinema Display. Won't have cost more than about 80 quid at least 10 years ago.

Craftsman
    I recently bought a second desk off facebook marketplace. I wanted a big desk and picked one up from an office clearance for £20 so I think it's well worth a look.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Or any desk suggestions for that matter?
    I’ve always preferred to build them to my own specificaltions. www.worktop-express.co.uk have a good service, and were able to cut a very unusually shaped one for me for my latest effort, fitting under a spiral staircase. A semi technical drawing with the dimensions knocked up in photoshop was enough for them to go on, since I don’t know how to do it properly. Installing something like that only takes quite basic skills, a bit of drilling and a few screws etc.. It’s satisfying to have something built exactly for your space and your style of work. It’s amazing what you can get built and delivered these days, just from a bit of internet searching and a few emails.

Master
    Desk's like those in OOK's post are almost a commodity in the antiques market. There is nearly always one in my local monthly antiques auction and it nearly always goes for give or take £100.

Bought mine from these guys

https://rwhitecabinets.com/products/...caAoFnEALw_wcB

Been great and do lots of different complimentary units.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Master
    We needed a very specific size desk that wasn't too low to fit in a box room that we converted into an office. After a very lengthy search we settled on one from argos. I was sceptical but pleasantly surprised at the quality for such a reasonable price.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4899...m:desk:49:62:1

Craftsman
    I guy I worked with got what was basically a lump of oak, oiled it, then placed it on a really old hinge on his wall giving him a drop down desk, looked fantastic. Will try and get a pic.

Depends if you’re pushed for space mindd, that was his reasoning.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Currently sitting at this Argos Malibu 3 Drawer Office Desk: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8201100

It's ugly, on the small side and not remotely luxurious (a bit like me), but then again it is a paltry £60.

For an upstairs bedroom, now converted to an office that nobody else sees, it's fine. It's not remotely something I'd want in my living area.

But, it's easily assembled, surprisingly sturdy, the drawers work smoothly and the shelving is great for holding power packs, adaptors, boxes etc.

Having moved house just before lockdown and with options limited, it was quick & easy and got me out of a hole.

Will upgrade it eventually, and for £60 I won't feel like disposal will be a waste of money.

Edit: Something else to consider is physically getting the thing both to & into your home - the above Argos jobbie came flat-packed and was easy to collect & shove into the back of a hatchback and then carry up the stairs on my own, assembled in situ. A pre-built solid oak desk would be a lovely thing indeed, but less so to collect & manhandle around your house, unless you have transport and some help.
    I have one of those in my office, I decided that I hated my 20 year old computer desk and wanted to replace it.

I was getting a bit carried with expensive desks and couldn't make my mind up so thought sod it, I'll just get a cheapie to tide me over, and TBH no regrets, it's decent enough for £60, was easy to build, the drawers and shelves are useful. It's a bit small but my office is small so that's ok.

I doubt I'll change it for the foreseeable future.

Master
    If it's the style of the John Lewis desk that you're after, but at a better price, I would suggest you look at the Ashwicke from Oliver Bonas.
    I have a Galant desk from IKEA, now discontinued but replaced by the similarly styled Thyge. It might be worth considering the legs & underframe of the Thyge, possibly sprayed black by your local bodyshop, and topped off with a custom made timber top of walnut/oak/ash veneer ply, with exposed ply edges. A kitchen or bedroom manufacturer will be able to supply, cut and lacquer the ply top to your requirements. This is similar to the very smart Herman Miller Abak desk, but should work out less than half the price. If your budget will stretch to about £500 check out the Abak with scallop legs.
    Last edited by TomGW; 28th October 2020 at 01:15.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    From a second hand furniture dealer last time.........

If you want something like this, and I think I will in my new place, try your local auction house. Locke & England in Leamington Spa does a great house-clearance auction on Thursdays, with viewing on Wednesday (by appt, I think, in COVID times). There will be something like this near to you - grab a bargain, but be patient!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Desk's like those in OOK's post are almost a commodity in the antiques market. There is nearly always one in my local monthly antiques auction and it nearly always goes for give or take £100.
    Yes they can be picked up for reasonable money, and usually are in pretty good condition.
    I paid about £250 for mine I think a few years back but the size and type was exactly what I was looking for.
    Of course they won’t suit most modern decor etc so that keeps the price down a bit. Considering it’s probably about 100 years old mine’s in pretty good condition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    If you want something like this, and I think I will in my new place, try your local auction house. Locke & England in Leamington Spa does a great house-clearance auction on Thursdays, with viewing on Wednesday (by appt, I think, in COVID times). There will be something like this near to you - grab a bargain, but be patient!
    My advice would be to wait for the right one to come along. I looked at several until I found the one that I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    My advice would be to wait for the right one to come along. I looked at several until I found the one that I wanted.
    Good advice - it's my wife who loves an auction, rather than me, and she'll go and be very careful about not just buying something because it's there, when it might not be right! Take your time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post

Mine too 1400x800mm Karbon jobbie for £120 ish

https://www.officefurnitureonline.co...ice-desks.html

Use code OCT20DBBL for 5% off.

Master
    This is the Ikea Thyge legs and underframe. Very sturdy and stable and with a modern vibe. A custom timber top to suit your decor will result in a fairly slick desk.
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/thyge-f...lour-50293779/

Pretty sure I've seen something similar to that John Lewis one at Habitat.

If you do see something on their website, it's also worth checking if they have the same product on Argos. Argos sometimes sells older Habitat furniture for cheaper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Good advice - it's my wife who loves an auction, rather than me, and she'll go and be very careful about not just buying something because it's there, when it might not be right! Take your time.
    Yes, it also depends on the type you want. There are a lot of repro desks and 'captains chairs' out there, and some of them are fine enough. Mine had sat in a University office all it's life according to the guy I bought it off, and he had acquired it when they decided more modern furniture was needed! I just like the fact it is still going strong after all these years, although Ms Oak prefers more modern furniture so it lives in my time warp room!