closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Missed out on ebay bargain

Journeyman

Missed out on ebay bargain

I've just missed the new model omega seamaster 300m in blue on bracelet. On ebay went for £2200 thought it would of been £3000 mint condition. Gutted

From a seller with 2 feedback?...do me a favor

Journeyman
    Nice price. But I am sure some other will pop up again.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    From a seller with 2 feedback?...do me a favor
    Private messaged him, he is re-listing it. I offered to go to him and pay cash get it verified at a dealer too. He wont!

Master
    Smells bad to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saints2014 View Post
    Private messaged him, he is re-listing it. I offered to go to him and pay cash get it verified at a dealer too. He wont!
    I suggest that you run from this ‘deal’ and when you have ran, run some more!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Oh, in such a case, it smells badly. Definitely would stay away of this deal.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hondzax View Post
    Oh, in such a case, it smells badly. Definitely would stay away of this deal.
    Why do these people bother?

Master
    So he can scam a second victim no doubt.

Journeyman
    Why do these people bother?
    They just trying.

Craftsman
    IMHO eBay is a horrendous platform to buy or sell on. I had my Sedna SMP on there and took it off in the end. Unbelievable amount of sketchy ‘buyers’ and attempted scams coming out of the woodwork.

Such a shame as if eBay put in the effort to police it properly it would actually be a decent sales platform. So obvious that they want big volume pro sellers on there only.

To where there is no internet?:-)

And once you have ran some more and are completely out of breath, stop for a quick rest behind the old oak tree. Once you feel like you have some more energy then keep on running! Hopefully by now you are lost and you cannot find your way back to this seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    The old adage, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I’ve had some great deals on eBay however it’s always high risk buying from an individual

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    @OllieG could not agree more.

Not saying it's legit (I wouldn't buy based on sellers 2 feedback), but I personally have a perfect track record on eBay over 10 years with 100% feedback and would also decline your offer to meet in person and do cash. Unfortunately suspicion is a two way street, from his perspective he doesn't know you're legit either!

Master
    You do occasionally get lucky...

I was looking for a set of art books for a year or so; they’re very rare and sell for around £1500.

One day a mint set popped up from a private individual seller and we was thrilled to get £100 for them!

They now have pride of place in my collection.

Otherwise agree I’d never sell anything on eBay personally. I’ve had *nothing* but good buying experiences there though, and I buy a lot (but maybe there’s less fraud in the art book world, which is where most of my eBay £’s go, compared to sellers of watches and tech).

The best way to buy something in ebay is to check for a seller with more than 500 sales, more than 5 years and almost zero negative feedbacks. You can start with this level to reduce the risk. Ah.. also local, not from other continent or something like that. That are the main recommendations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Not saying it's legit (I wouldn't buy based on sellers 2 feedback), but I personally have a perfect track record on eBay over 10 years with 100% feedback and would also decline your offer to meet in person and do cash. Unfortunately suspicion is a two way street, from his perspective he doesn't know you're legit either!
    Agreed.

Hey there! Why don’t you bring that expensive watch of yours to a meeting with a complete stranger you met online with no guarantees of safety and then, even if he isn’t going to rob you, accompany him to a shop so that he can decide whether or not to pay you an absolute bargain basement price on your watch. If he doesn’t want it, it’s just a trip out and a jolly around town to hawk your wares during a pandemic!

As above, bad vibes from the seller as a buyer but if I was the seller I’d run a mile!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    You do occasionally get lucky...

I was looking for a set of art books for a year or so; they’re very rare and sell for around £1500.

One day a mint set popped up from a private individual seller and we was thrilled to get £100 for them!

They now have pride of place in my collection.

Otherwise agree I’d never sell anything on eBay personally. I’ve had *nothing* but good buying experiences there though, and I buy a lot (but maybe there’s less fraud in the art book world, which is where most of my eBay £’s go, compared to sellers of watches and tech).
    Think that’s very true. Watches and phones (for example) attract the worst types. Other stuff, like camera equipment, far less - your books even less risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Hey there! Why don’t you bring that expensive watch of yours to a meeting with a complete stranger you met online with no guarantees of safety........
    I don't necessarily agree with this. It should be ok to meet in a safe public location, of the sellers choosing, so that the buyer can see the watch and decide if they would like to buy it. Bring a friend or two if available. One shouldn't assume that they are going to be robbed. With this thinking, why would you ever risk wearing the watch in public?

I know ebay would have a problem with the transaction occurring in a way that would prevent them getting their fees, but that's a separate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyWheels View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with this. It should be ok to meet in a safe public location, of the sellers choosing, so that the buyer can see the watch and decide if they would like to buy it. Bring a friend or two if available. One shouldn't assume that they are going to be robbed. With this thinking, why would you ever risk wearing the watch in public?

I know ebay would have a problem with the transaction occurring in a way that would prevent them getting their fees, but that's a separate issue.
    and the other guy turns up with the watch - and sees the the three of you.............................

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    and the other guy turns up with the watch - and sees the the three of you.............................
    Exactly. If I got to the point where I had to bring a couple of mates with me to do a deal with someone, I’d take that as a pretty good sign that I should walk away. Face to face meetings are fine but for me it would have to be with someone who I could have some form of reference on.

Craftsman
    In my experience, sellers tend to cancel the deal if you get too much of a bargain, either with some flimsy excuse or simply by saying "The price was not what I was hoping for", and just take the bad feedback if it comes to that. Understandable in a way, but also goes against the "spirit" of an auction IMO. If you want to make sure you get at least a certain amount of money for your object, there are payable options for that.

I meant that the seller (the person bringing the watch) could bring along a friend if it made them feel more comfortable.

Master

Kinhell!!! If it’s too good to be true.’it is this joker ended listing early as he shat his pants.simple as it happens

Quote Originally Posted by AllyWheels View Post
    I meant that the seller (the person bringing the watch) could bring along a friend if it made them feel more comfortable.
    I thought my point was valid for either party turning up on their own and seeing 2 or 3 on ‘the other side’

I thought my point was valid for either party turning up on their own and seeing 2 or 3 on ‘the other side’
    The purpose of the face to face is to let the prospective buyer see the watch and decide if they would like to buy it.
    The watch has to be present therefore the seller should decide the circumstances of the meeting.

You seem to be assuming that the buyer will arrive with their pockets brimming with cash but that shouldn't be the case in this day and age.

The alternative to a face to face meeting is ebay/paypal/postal exchange, with myriad risks to both sides.

It can be absolutely safe if appropriate measures are taken. A genuine seller should encourage a face to face transaction at their home, which provides security and also demonstrates to the buyer that they can be traced in the event of selling fake goods. In return, the buyer should never take cash but agree in advance on an instant bank transfer once happy with the item. The buyer doesn't leave the seller's home with the item until the funds appear in their bank account. For extra security at or before the transaction both swap a photo of each-other's driving licence - as safe as a private sale can reasonably be.
    5 or more years ago I got an email from eBay congratulating me on reaching £10k of sales - I was gobsmacked, but as the saying goes "one man's junk is another man's gold"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    It can be absolutely safe if appropriate measures are taken. A genuine seller should encourage a face to face transaction at their home, which provides security and also demonstrates to the buyer that they can be traced in the event of selling fake goods. In return, the buyer should never take cash but agree in advance on an instant bank transfer once happy with the item. The buyer doesn't leave the seller's home with the item until the funds appear in their bank account. For extra security at or before the transaction both swap a photo of each-other's driving licence - as safe as a private sale can reasonably be.
    5 or more years ago I got an email from eBay congratulating me on reaching £10k of sales - I was gobsmacked, but as the saying goes "one man's junk is another man's gold"
    As a collector who occasionally holds expensive watches under my roof I wouldn’t be thrilled to have someone I don’t know in my place...

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    A genuine seller should encourage a face to face transaction at their home, which provides security and also demonstrates to the buyer that they can be traced in the event of selling fake goods.
    Absolutely no chance I'm having you or anyone else in my house to sell a watch. What a security risk.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Absolutely no chance I'm having you or anyone else in my house to sell a watch. What a security risk.
    But you’d have to give out your address to have one posted to you (which is why everything I buy from eBay / SC gets sent either to my work address or another one that I use where I don’t live)

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    But you’d have to give out your address to have one posted to you
    Depends. From here, yes. From eBay, no, I wouldn't use it for high value. Even then I wouldn't have someone from here in my home. I have before but since then my collection has grown and I wouldn't feel comfortable now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Depends. From here, yes. From eBay, no, I wouldn't use it for high value. Even then I wouldn't have someone from here in my home. I have before but since then my collection has grown and I wouldn't feel comfortable now.
    Agreed, neither would I.

Master
    A face to face would feel safer with my Glock 19 tucked in the back of my belt

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    You should of course take appropriate precautions, but I find most people just want to conduct a deal. I’ve had people come and collect stuff from my house before, admittedly not high value.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    You should of course take appropriate precautions, but I find most people just want to conduct a deal. I’ve had people come and collect stuff from my house before, admittedly not high value.
    Absolutely - when I sold a motorbike on Ebay to a fella I didn't know - I moved my other bikes to my neighbour's garage beforehand.

He appeared totally honest and genuine, but I didn't need him even mentioning to any pals about the guy who sold him the bike, and that I had XXXXX, XXXXX and XXXXX too.