closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Aftermarket Sapphire Crystal on Rolex

Craftsman

Aftermarket Sapphire Crystal on Rolex

A few years ago I bought an Explorer 2 16570 from my usual dealer. He made me aware at the time that he had replaced the sapphire with a non-original part (without the laser-etched crown). It’s one of the very last ones manufactured (with the engraved rehaut and 3186 movement etc). I felt the price was right, so I went for it. My concern is that at service, Rolex will note the crystal is not one of their own and insist on replacing it (at an additional cost!). Does anyone have experience of a similar issue? I can obviously get it serviced outside of the hallowed halls of St James’s but keen to know what people think. The 3186 movement versions are starting to command premiums over the 3185, so I want to do things right.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Given the value of the watch, for £100 or so, I’d just bite the bullet and have Rolex replace the crystal.

Craftsman
    Is that all it costs? Ok well then no brainer! Thanks for this.

Master
    Indeed, as part of a service I think it may even cost a little less. As your dealer described the watch correctly and the price reflected its state, then if you were going to have it serviced anyway the small cost of a glass at the same time is the perfect next stage in a happy ownership history.

Carry on and enjoy!

As for the 3186 in 16710s and 16570s, I find inexplicable the significant premium for an invisible and essentially undetectable tweak to the calibre but am happy to follow all inflationary pressure!
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 1st November 2020 at 12:44.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Indeed, as part of a service I think it may even cost a little less. As your dealer described the watch correctly and the price reflected its state, then if you were going to have it serviced anyway the small cost of a glass at the same time is the perfect next stage in a happy ownership history.

Carry on and enjoy!

As for the 3186 in 16710s and 16570s, I find inexplicable the significant premium for an invisible and essentially undetectable tweak to the calibre but am happy to follow all inflationary pressure!
    Thank you Mr Milton! I agree entirely. There was virtually no premium between a 3185 and a 3186 version when I purchased the watch but the halo effect from the much rarer 3186 versions of the 16710 seems to have transferred over to the far less rare 16570. I’m not complaining!

Grand Master
    If the crystal is replaced I would ask that the generic one be returned with the watch. Its your property, and should the crystal get damaged and need replacement in future you may wish to have it refitted.

Sending the watch to a Rolex a credited indy might be worth considering, they will probably be OK refitting the generic one. Price will also be a little cheaper and the standard if work will be same. Watches are serviced by skilled guys using tweezers and screwdrivers, Rolex elves don’t exist!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If the crystal is replaced I would ask that the generic one be returned with the watch. Its your property, and should the crystal get damaged and need replacement in future you may wish to have it refitted.

Sending the watch to a Rolex a credited indy might be worth considering, they will probably be OK refitting the generic one. Price will also be a little cheaper and the standard if work will be same. Watches are serviced by skilled guys using tweezers and screwdrivers, Rolex elves don’t exist!
    Thank you Walkerwek. I agree on the elves point, but if I do ever look to sell, I’d like to do so with a fresh Rolex service warranty. No plans to as yet, so accredited makes sense.