closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lego as an investment

Lego as an investment

Just looking at the Prices Lego is fetching on Ebay.Does anyone dabble and had any success. Where would you start, i remember a porsche being talked about on here a while ago and i think it was 179
    these are now fetching north of 350.
    some sets are fetching more than can be bought on Amazon.
    was thinking of buying a couple of sets maybe the Chiron and Labourghini.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Lego as an investment

Lego is a good investment - once a set is discontinued it almost always rises above retail. There are some exceptions like the Lego frozen series, but overall it does well. Look here

https://www.cnet.com/news/lego-brick...s-report-says/

Also similarly to watches, box and papers help with residuals

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Whilst some LEGO sets have increased significantly in recent times, LEGO have cottoned on and now produce most sets in much higher quantities... only the true limited availability sets I would expect to increase in value.
    For example, the company recently pulled the Osprey Rescue Aircraft Technic set from sale due to connotations with military vehicles, but allowed 1000 ish sets into the wild as they'd already been sent to the stores.
    These were 170 RRP but appears on eBay for several times that immediately.

There is a rumour that the current Star Wars Deathstar is about to be 'retired' - a sealed version of this will undoubtedly increase in value over the coming years, especially if George Lucas makes some new SW films (as is the rumour).

Choose wisely, keep them in good condition, and you can make money.
    I'd personally avoid the large Technic sets though, and look at the 'Hard To Find' models on lego.com

The building bricks towards future wealth

Master
    Please, no!

I hope the simple pleasure that is Lego isnt dragged down the speculation rabbit hole.

How long before we get thread content like had the call from my local toy dealer, had to buy a lot of Lego Friends stuff, but got me the latest Technic set... :)

I have huge amounts of it from when i was a child.

I would wager that its fairly worthless, as with most stuff you have to be lucky and have the exact right set, unopened and rare to be worth anything decent

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I have huge amounts of it from when i was a child.

I would wager that its fairly worthless, as with most stuff you have to be lucky and have the exact right set, unopened and rare to be worth anything decent
    If its not in sets then it retains value by the kg

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    If its not in sets then it retains value by the kg

Unless you create a Bricklink shop and have aeons to faff about separating parts that make you 0.01p a pop.

I have around 5k in LEGO at last count. I've not deliberately bought any of it to make a profit, but I am aware that I could easily sell some of my sets for considerably more than I paid for them.

In reality it's no different from collecting anything else, including watches.

Lego as an investment

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Unless you create a Bricklink shop and have aeons to faff about separating parts that make you 0.01p a pop.

I have around 5k in LEGO at last count. I've not deliberately bought any of it to make a profit, but I am aware that I could easily sell some of my sets for considerably more than I paid for them.

In reality it's no different from collecting anything else, including watches.
    When I say value per kg I mean as loose Lego as job lots. I have a massive amount of Lego but been gradually reducing as kid gets older. Basically the collection was free due to rises which is nice of course

I think its the main reason we havent moved house . I cant imagine Pickfords being happy moving a Star Wars fleet

I have invested over the past few years

Returning almost 400 on a 911 gt3 that I was told I was mad to buy at about 120 (I bought three)

Its all about condition and not opening

Also buying at the right price - discontinued sets rise in value but nobody has a crystal ball

Ive got a fair old haul and if the price is a good deal Ill happily put a few hundred at the sets or set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Lego as an investment?? I very much doubt its worthwhile giving up the storage space - if the value is in sealed sets then its hardly the sort of stuff you can chuck in the loft or garage and forget about, it needs dry storage. The sets that bring fortunes tend to be the huge ones which sell in low numbers (because not all kids get a 500 quid deathstar for christmas), and the examples above which are pulled from sale early or withdrawn for other reasons.
    Some Lego-land exclusives do well, and there have been a few Hamleys exclusives (mini-figure sets, mainly) which have soared in value - a jurassic world one springs to mind - but again that can be said for anything exclusive.
    Generally speaking, a 25 quid set is going to be worth 25 quid. There are lots on Ebay fetching close to RRP even ten and fifteen years after release. Makes me think that if there is value in it, it's going to be a very, very long game.

When I say value per kg I mean as loose Lego as job lots. I have a massive amount of Lego but been gradually reducing as kid gets older. Basically the collection was free due to rises which is nice of course

I think its the main reason we havent moved house . I cant imagine Pickfords being happy moving a Star Wars fleet
    Lots of lovely UCS kits there!

I have been looking on eBay for some of the retired and well rated Star Wars kits. From what I can see they definitely go up in value if you choose quality kits! As already noted, you would need some good storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    Lots of lovely UCS kits there!

I have been looking on eBay for some of the retired and well rated Star Wars kits. From what I can see they definitely go up in value if you choose quality kits! As already noted, you would need some good storage space.
    Which sets are you after - Ill see if I can convince son to let more go

Which sets are you after - Ill see if I can convince son to let more go
    Only The Y-Wing, Tydirium Shuttle, Snowspeeder, Tie Fighter, Slave 1, B-Wing, AT-ST! Oh, and maybe a few others.

I would probably need to get a new Missus if I bought all of it. 😁

Lego as an investment

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    Only The Y-Wing, Tydirium Shuttle, Snowspeeder, Tie Fighter, Slave 1, B-Wing, AT-ST! Oh, and maybe a few others.

I would probably need to get a new Missus if I bought all of it. 😁
    Id def let the Y wing go. its the old UCS one. It does have a bit of sun yellowing on some bricks due to prev owner being careless. Not too bad though and could replace those bricks. Pm me if interested. The others have all been kept in shaded room
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 26th October 2020 at 15:00.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Depends what you buy tbh and there is always an element of chance.
    Limited edition Christmas stuff can do well as can certain Creator sets (particularly some buildings) and some Ideas stuff ,particularly older ones under the Cusoo name. For instance when released in 2014(I think) the Back to The Future DeLorean set 21103 cost around 40 and is now worth around 150/160. So about 300% growth.
    The right Star Wars set can appreciate nicely but you always have the potential for Lego to torpedo the price by releasing a more up to date box set. For example, Set 10144 Sandcrawler was released in 2005 and cost about 100. The price for a sealed box slowly increased and you could get get 500-600 for them. Then Lego released a UCS edition in 2014 (75059) and the price dropped. Then they released another edition (75220-less expensive than the UCS edition) in 2018 and the price dropped again. Now you can get around 250,maybe 300 if you are lucky.
    Some boxes are smaller than others and the storage space can be an issue.

Now....if you want easily stored Lego then look at minifigures. You would be surprised at the price you can get for certain figures. Its not unusual for sets to be purchased just for the figures. Sometimes its the promotional ones that appreciate most. For example a few years ago you got a free chrome stormtrooper with a purchase of x or more. They go for around 70/80 at the moment and certainly dont take up storage space!

You dont need that much space as they are boxed

The big sets are where the money is

However - some smaller sets of bought in sakes or promos can return 100% Profit

Avoid anything opened or box damage

Loads of sets on eBay tgat have no mini figs as the seller is making his money from the figs and takes a small hit on the set

Its far more fun than youd think

The veron i dont believe will be a fast result profit - yet the Lamborghini I feel will

I also believe itll always wipe its face as an investment and Ive done very very well out of it over the last couple of years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for everyones input plenty to think about

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post
    Thanks for everyones input plenty to think about

Rather than thinking of buying it as an investment just think of it as a purchase that will barely (if at all) depreciate.

Its more fun than watching your bank account rise by 0.5%

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Whilst some LEGO sets have increased significantly in recent times, LEGO have cottoned on and now produce most sets in much higher quantities... only the true limited availability sets I would expect to increase in value.
    For example, the company recently pulled the Osprey Rescue Aircraft Technic set from sale due to connotations with military vehicles, but allowed 1000 ish sets into the wild as they'd already been sent to the stores.
    These were 170 RRP but appears on eBay for several times that immediately.
    My son has an Osprey (he works in a toy shop that sells lots of Lego) - While the general story is that they're not allowed to sell 'military sets', this seems a bit unlikely given it got all the way through design, production and marketing.

He mentioned that there is a design flaw which means the gears break remarkably easily...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    My wife is a Lego monster we have half the living room full of built kits and every landing in the house has a display cabinet full of the stuff. She refuses to let it sit in the box and accumulate value.
    I've bought the JB DB5 as a dabble in speculation - probably not the best set to do this with as it's still available and quite popular but If it's not bought me a Patek in a few years time I can always build it and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Loads of sets on eBay tgat have no mini figs as the seller is making his money from the figs and takes a small hit on the set
    About ten years ago I used to do just this. Buy a smallish kit in Tesco with 3 or more figures in for maybe 12-15, sell the figures separately, then get about a tenner for the kit. Money was made, but loads of work though, definitely less than minimum wage per hour spent doing it.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    My wife is a Lego monster we have half the living room full of built kits and every landing in the house has a display cabinet full of the stuff. She refuses to let it sit in the box and accumulate value.
    I've bought the JB DB5 as a dabble in speculation - probably not the best set to do this with as it's still available and quite popular but If it's not bought me a Patek in a few years time I can always build it and enjoy it.
    The JB D45 will be a good one once its discontinued. Typical runs are for a year or so. You do lose a bit if you build it but tbh not that much. You can still build and enjoy it and see it go up in value.

Top tips......

1. The boxes if carefully opened at both ends can be safely flattened so they take up a lot less space.

2. Dont let sunlight hit the sets. They discolour due to UV reaction.

3. Keep the instructions.

I have the Harry Potter Lego castle constructed in my office but I cant imagine it being a long term investment. I just like Harry Potter

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    My son has an Osprey (he works in a toy shop that sells lots of Lego) - While the general story is that they're not allowed to sell 'military sets', this seems a bit unlikely given it got all the way through design, production and marketing.

He mentioned that there is a design flaw which means the gears break remarkably easily...

M
    Lego do not produce kits which are military vehicles.This is the official statement from Lego..

The LEGO Technic Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey was designed to highlight the important role the aircraft plays in search and rescue efforts. While the set clearly depicts how a rescue version of the plane might look, the aircraft is only used by the military. We have a long-standing policy not to create sets which feature real military vehicles, so it has been decided not to proceed with the launch of this product.We appreciate that some fans who were looking forward to this set may be disappointed, but we believe its important to ensure that we uphold our brand values.

More details here.

Interestingly there is also a design flaw (details here) so it looks like the issue about the Osprey being a military aircraft may have been serendipitous and gave Lego a slightly more palatable reason to stop the release.

We have got 100s and 100s worth of Lego Harry Potter. Our kids loved making each.

We carefully dissembled each item and packed safely away ready for our future grandchildren.

Sod Lego as an investment.

Master
    I dunno if this is quite relevant, but the timing with this thread is perfect.
    Yesterday in Sainsbury's my lad picked up a couple of the Lego comic/magazine/whatever it is. They do half a dozen different mag's for the various ranges, Lego Marvel had a free Iron Man mini-figure which we've already got a couple of times over, but there is a Jurassic World magazine with Vic Hoskins and a little quad/buggy. For 3.99 we chucked that one in the trolley and I have to say, it's a brilliant little set. Out of curiosity after reading this thread I checked eBay and the figure alone is selling for 4.

Considering that set isn't available to buy in the shops, just a freebie if you buy the magazine, it essentially makes it a 1 month limited release. For 4 quid those unique sets are probably worth speculating on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Please, no!

I hope the simple pleasure that is Lego isnt dragged down the speculation rabbit hole.
    This, this a thousand times over. Please, this!

Fortunately those speculating on the bucket wheel excavator seem to have had their fingers burned with prices currently less than retail. I'm keeping an eye out for a bargain one to keep for my son when he's ready for it in 2 or 3 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Lego do not produce kits which are military vehicles.This is the official statement from Lego..

The LEGO Technic Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey was designed to highlight the important role the aircraft plays in search and rescue efforts. While the set clearly depicts how a rescue version of the plane might look, the aircraft is only used by the military. We have a long-standing policy not to create sets which feature real military vehicles, so it has been decided not to proceed with the launch of this product.We appreciate that some fans who were looking forward to this set may be disappointed, but we believe its important to ensure that we uphold our brand values.

More details here.

Interestingly there is also a design flaw (details here) so it looks like the issue about the Osprey being a military aircraft may have been serendipitous and gave Lego a slightly more palatable reason to stop the release.
    I know, but it seems very unlikely they would have got all the way to shipping these to stores before realising this.

It wasn't at the prototype or design stage, it was in production and shipping before being pulled.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Jesus wept!

I opened this thread actually thinking it was a wind up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    I have the Harry Potter Lego castle constructed in my office but I cant imagine it being a long term investment. I just like Harry Potter

Yeah the wife had the Hogwarts Castle as her graduation present and got the Death Star for xmas last year - I'm buying her the new Diagon Alley set for xmas this year but vacillating on whether to buy it now or see if there are any deals for black Friday. She also wants the Hedwig character set as she too is a massive HP fan.
    She has the Minecraft 'mountain cave' which I bought her at an inflated price as it was discontinued for a previous xmas. It's now being sold for over 4 times what I paid for it on amazon.

Craftsman
    This thread made me remember I had bought a Lego Big Bang Theory set sometime ago because I had watched a few series and wanted to purchase the set with the intention of putting it on display, once made.

I think I paid 40 from eBay (brand new and sealed) and having look online they now appear to be selling for over 120.

Luckily I never got round to making it so I might have to try and find it.

Also, are the production numbers released by Lego, i.e, the amount of sets or models they intend to make before it is retired?

It would be interesting to know.