closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holidays 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Would like to go to Italy first few weeks of September but like you say, very little guidance on what they’re doing. I recall from the football 3 weeks ago you couldn’t go to Italy from the UK without the requirement to quarantine for 5 days. No idea if that has been/will be relaxed.

Malta and Greece seem very clear on guidance.

Vaccinated - no need for a test to get out there or no need for quarantine. Need a test to return and a ‘day 2’ test.

Hopefully going somewhere for those weeks but as it stands absolutely no idea where.
    Yes the England match was because you had to quarantine for 5 days so seeing the match would have been impossible. Thats not really a problem I was more interested to know any experiences such as where to stay (there is mention some hotels may refuse guests who have to quarantine) and also the whole lateral testing before and coming back.

I'm going to Greece for a 12-19th August with the family for a week.

My oldest son aged 20 gets his second jab on 3rd August, so he just about wont have to quarantine on return, but will have to take a lateral flow test to enter Greece (as it will not be 14 days since second vaccination). My younger son aged 17 will also need a lateral flow test to enter Greece, but is young enough not to quarantine on return. Myself and wife both doubled vaccinated for a while now.

So my research tells me we'll need to arrange 2 x lateral flows to enter Greece (£34 each), 4 x lateral flow to leave Greece (20 Euro or £17 each) and 4 x day 2 PCR tests (£43 each). So by my reckoning Covid testing will add £308 to the bill. Prefer not to pay it, but worth it to get away.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I asked if anyone had travelled have you?
    Well to answer your first question, yes, people have travelled to Italy.

Can't see what's so confusing though, the information appears to be in that link.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That wasn’t my question.

Have YOU travelled if not why are you even bothering to comment?

***edit***

You know what forget it. I have made the error of getting into the usual pointless argument with one of the TZUK regular “I must comment on every thread even if what I say has no value and offers nothing” crowd

Anyone here any experience travelling there, what was it like?
    Last edited by robert75; 26th July 2021 at 17:12.

That wasn’t my question.
    Looks like it too me.

Anyone travelled to Italy this year?

Craftsman
    Yes the England match was because you had to quarantine for 5 days so seeing the match would have been impossible. Thats not really a problem I was more interested to know any experiences such as where to stay (there is mention some hotels may refuse guests who have to quarantine) and also the whole lateral testing before and coming back.
    Yes, and the rule still stands as per what you’ve already read I suspect. Also hoping it gets lifted myself.

May be worth looking at forums on tripadvisor as May have people sharing stories etc.

Looks like it too me.
    Your an idiot

Yes, and the rule still stands as per what you’ve already read I suspect. Also hoping it gets lifted myself.

May be worth looking at forums on tripadvisor as May have people sharing stories etc.
    Yeah been looking at them but not much there, fingers crossed for the end of the month but it doesn’t look hopeful

Your an idiot
    I believe Kingstepper may be many things but an idiot he is not. Maybe you want to read your post again, and apologise?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I believe Kingstepper may be many things but an idiot he is not. Maybe you want to read your post again, and apologise?
    You still making offensive comments about single parents to score points? At least 2 people told you to apologise at the time, didn’t happen though did it?

You are an utter low life and you have been told before to stop commenting on my posts but you just can’t help yourself

Another one of the “Must comment on every thread” crowd.

Crawl back under your rock
    Last edited by robert75; 26th July 2021 at 17:21.

Your an idiot
    You are.

Not sure why you have umbrage with me, I posted a link which you might not have seen and which might be useful. Chinese_Alan also hasn't been to Italy but you've no problem with his post.

TBH, if you're easily confused maybe you shouldn't be travelling at all.

Thanks for your support (I think!).

You still making offensive comments about single parents to score points? At least 2 people told you to apologise at the time, didn’t happen though did it?

You are an utter low life and you have been told before to stop commenting on my posts but you just can’t help yourself

Another one of the “Must comment on every thread” crowd.

Crawl back under your rock
    You're an idiot. And you cannot remain civil in this part of the forum.

You're an idiot. And you cannot remain civil in this part of the forum.
    Says the man who attacks single parents to win points and refused to apologise for his comments even when being called out to do so

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I'm going to Greece for a 12-19th August with the family for a week.

My oldest son aged 20 gets his second jab on 3rd August, so he just about wont have to quarantine on return, but will have to take a lateral flow test to enter Greece (as it will not be 14 days since second vaccination). My younger son aged 17 will also need a lateral flow test to enter Greece, but is young enough not to quarantine on return. Myself and wife both doubled vaccinated for a while now.

So my research tells me we'll need to arrange 2 x lateral flows to enter Greece (£34 each), 4 x lateral flow to leave Greece (20 Euro or £17 each) and 4 x day 2 PCR tests (£43 each). So by my reckoning Covid testing will add £308 to the bill. Prefer not to pay it, but worth it to get away.
    Well, we were supposed to fly on Thursday to Athens, and then drive the 3 hours down to Stoupa on the southern Peloponnese. But about a month before travel the villa owner advised that he was having trouble servicing the villa, and if it was OK with use were we flexible to agree to a cancellation.

Our BA return flights has just been moved a few hours, so we could get a refund and the hire car was refundable. We moved the Easyjet flight on the way out to Rhodes for July 2022. So it was an easy decision for us, especially as late a one month ago holidaying abroad was still very uncertain, so we were happy to cancel.

Fast forward 3 weeks to last week and the Government mood around holidays seem to dramatically change. As soon as Grant Shapps announced no change to European travel rules, and that he would guarantee no change for 3 weeks, I hopped on the Tui website and booked a package holiday for the week after.

A bit of a nervous week as my partially vaccinated 20 and 17 year olds still needed to take a fit to fly test. They passed that this morning, phew. I've read that demand for European hoildays abroad is now back to normal, and certainly noticed that all the last minute Tui deals disappeared very quickly after we booked.

We are very much independent type travellers, but on this occasion the package holiday makes so much sense. Discounted COVID tests and a insurance backed guarantee that they have a duty of care to look after you and get you home if the worst happens.

Anyway, off to Elounda in Crete tomorrow, and after this crappy COVID year I'm really looking forward to it.

Master
    just got back from Croatia; attending a dance music festival along with approx 4,000 others.

all went well with loads of testing, use of masks etc. Had to do the fit to fly test day before travel and thankfully returned negative.

Flew back with BA on Wednesday evening and thought I was home & dry, then my phone starts going nuts yesterday afternoon as someone on the plane back tested positive and I've 10 days isolation to endure.

now we were on a 2h 30m flight, all wearing masks but the plane was full. The issue is that everyone has the 10 day notice which seems excessive as I'm double jabbed, tested negative and am currently awaiting the day 2 result back (dropped off the Randox at Heathrow this morning)

having dodged a bullet in not being caught throughout the trip, I'm glad the loosening of the isolation kicks in on Monday as this seems a little excessive; but what the genuine solution is I've no idea.

Master
    I’m not sure everyone on the plane has to isolate, I thought it was within a certain number of rows??
    I had the same, my day 2 test was negative but on day 4 I got the texts and emails telling me to self isolate for the remaining 6 days. A bit of a pointless exercise given most infections are passed on in first 5 days and I’d been to a pub a restaurant and meeting up with quite a few people.

Master
    Here in Wales, if you get pinged as being in close contact with someone who has tested positive, as long as you’ve had both vaccinations you don’t have to isolate.

Journeyman
    Has anyone been abroad yet this year since you’ve been ‘allowed’?

Where did you go? How easy was it to get a test for return etc? is it sensible to have a tour via Vodohod taking into account modern pandemic restrictions?

Cheers
    This June we had some plans to travel around Europe for a while but in the long run decided to cancel all our arrangements. To be on the safe side. But talking about Russia, I would go there for sure.
    Last edited by Owren; 29th August 2021 at 19:14.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    I’m not sure everyone on the plane has to isolate, I thought it was within a certain number of rows??
    I had the same, my day 2 test was negative but on day 4 I got the texts and emails telling me to self isolate for the remaining 6 days. A bit of a pointless exercise given most infections are passed on in first 5 days and I’d been to a pub a restaurant and meeting up with quite a few people.
    Presumably those in Bluetooth range for the app rather than by rows.

Shouldn't phone be in 'airplane' mode anyway so any contacts wouldn't be recorded...

Master
    Just got back from Ibiza with my family (wife and girls aged 11 and 14). Me and the Mr's both double jabbed so only needed a pre test (within 72hrs before landing in Ibiza) for my eldest as she's between 12 and 16. Got a kit from a pharmacy, did the test then dropped it back off at the Pharmacy which was then sent on to the labs. Took 24hrs to get the certificate allowing her to fly. Took tests with us to carry out 3 days before landing back in the UK. Did the tests ourselves then sent a picture of the result along with pictures of our passports. Within 5 mins of sending them off we had certificates emailed to us showing we were negative and fit to fly back to the UK. Just done the 2 day tests at home which have been posted off. Cost a bit all together for all the tests but the holiday was so cheap it was well worth it. Planes, both outgoing and incoming, were half full so plenty of space. Flew from Newcastle which was empty, Ibiza airport a bit busier but got checked in straight away and took around 10 mins to get through security. Flew with Jet2. Best advice I can give is to have all paperwork printed out before getting to the airports. Also obviously had to fill in the passenger locator forms.

Just back from Crete with the family.

Return testing was easy peasy. Never felt at risk or worried the whole time we were there. Tui were great, and the package holiday meant most of the risk was on them in it all went tits up.

The whole holiday including spending for 4 didn’t cost much more than renting a large house in Cornwall for a week, given the eye gouging prices being charged for a staycation these days.

If I had more time off from work, I’d be off to Greece again without a second thought.

Master
    Blog Entries

Shouldn't phone be in 'airplane' mode anyway so any contacts wouldn't be recorded...
    Due to the passenger locator and airline information they know who sits near you on the plane. No need for the app.

We've been to our flat in Menorca and are going again in October. The forms/paperwork coming back is a bit of a pain and seem largely irrelevant but I've given up expecting any kind of logic from governments over Covid measures.

Ok, fair enough!

Master

It’s nothing to do with the app. Your PLF identifies you as being on that flight and where you were sat.

….ooops just seen answered above!
    Last edited by craig1912; 28th August 2021 at 10:23.

Master
    Just back from Crete with the family.

Return testing was easy peasy. Never felt at risk or worried the whole time we were there. Tui were great, and the package holiday meant most of the risk was on them in it all went tits up.

The whole holiday including spending for 4 didn’t cost much more than renting a large house in Cornwall for a week, given the eye gouging prices being charged for a staycation these days.

If I had more time off from work, I’d be off to Greece again without a second thought.
    Retired so I don’t have days holiday to worry about. Was in Crete in July and off there again next week (we avoid the school holidays for obvious reasons)

France trip via Eurotunnel last week was easy. Nothing on the way over and the French border control just glanced out our vaccine certificates. Did a test in France 2 days before traveling back, uploaded the PF to the Eurotunnel portal as well as the Passenger locator form. Straight through.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Retired so I don’t have days holiday to worry about. Was in Crete in July and off there again next week (we avoid the school holidays for obvious reasons)
    No real need to avoid the school holidays this year. Last minute August package holidays were cheap given the low demand, and I found the resorts to be comfortably busy, but not manic like you expect in the school holidays. That was saved for Devon and Cornwall.

Master
    Just booked a trip to Rhodes for next weekend - Greece PLF seemed easy enough and all of us double jabbed so printed off NHS confirmations as well as all 4 of us having phone app with the QR etc

The hotel does either antigen or PCR FOC before we come home so that’s hopefully sorted but the day 2 is where I’m struggling - all providers have sh*t reviews and costs vary from £43 up to £100+ but nothing seems to be different in terms of service - as far as I can tell the only critical issue for us is to make sure we get the code to enter onto the UK PLF before travelling home?

Can anyone recommend (I was going towards Screen4) recommended by BA at £50 but not sure if I need to order ASAP or just order mid week when we are in Rhodes as seems they only send out a couple of days before flight home anyway?

Appreciate any advice from those already through the process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used Randox for the 2 day test when we got back from Portugal,

Master
    No real need to avoid the school holidays this year. Last minute August package holidays were cheap given the low demand, and I found the resorts to be comfortably busy, but not manic like you expect in the school holidays. That was saved for Devon and Cornwall.
    Oh there is …. Kids! Got two grown up ones myself but been through all that and prefer a bit of peace and quiet 😄

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    We used Medicspot who were ok

- - - Updated - - -

We used Medicspot who were ok

Master
    We live in the middle of nowhere and no dropboxes so extra costs for postage as I understand it and given recent publicity on them was avoiding to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got one UK holiday left this year and if things ease up further will do one in Xmas .

July - Brean on sea - a lodge
    August - 5 days in portugal
    August - Disney cruise in the UK

Left centre parcs in October .

Master
    Took the plunge last week and went to the Algarve for 4 nights. Flew from Bristol. Airports both ways were very easy, no hassle at all. Weather was beautiful. Few rounds of golf and some fantastic food.

Craftsman
    Cornwall for 3 nights in November remains between now and Christmas. Doing a Nathan Outlaw double header Friday and Saturday - can’t wait.

Master
    Curious if anyone is booked to go away this month and still going? We’re booked to go to Gran Canaria next week and are/were happy to do the day 2 PCR test on our return and isolate until the results come back. This weekend’s announcement of doing the pre departure tests before our return is making us rethink it.

Just wonder if anyone else is in the same position and what your thoughts are?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Curious if anyone is booked to go away this month and still going? We’re booked to go to Gran Canaria next week and are/were happy to do the day 2 PCR test on our return and isolate until the results come back. This weekend’s announcement of doing the pre departure tests before our return is making us rethink it.

In wouldn’t worry the World isn’t going to stop till the 5 Jan, then we’ll go back into panic mode and lock down then wonder why the cases have gone up. Boris won’t want to spoil Christmas spending for the sake of a few deaths.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    In wouldn’t worry the World isn’t going to stop till the 5 Jan, then we’ll go back into panic mode and lock down then wonder why the cases have gone up. Boris won’t want to spoil Christmas spending for the sake of a few deaths.
    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    That's what we're kind of thinking today. We're all double or triple jabbed and are cautious, so should probably go. Our main concern I guess is if they made Spain a red list country and we had to pay nearly 10k for us all to isolate in a hotel. Highly unlikely but you never know.

Master

My wife and I had a couple of weeks booked in Berlin from 23rd December but with recent changes to travel, restrictions over in Berlin, a ban on New Year fireworks and our hotel deciding not to have a Christmas dinner as such we have decided to stay home.

Individually all of the things are no more than an inconvenience however we have a belief that we stand by when we are making plans - if there are too many obstacles then someone or something is trying to tell us something.

Fortunately we won't lose out on anything but the long and hard earned break away from home in the place we love to be.

We could manage it but too many lingering reservations along with what we already know have made our minds up for us.

First World problem so can't complain.

Master

Just cancelled our trip to Germany just too much hassle and the Christmas Markets (if they are on) just won’t be the same.
    Booking three nights in the Cotswolds instead.

Master
    A colleague tells me that, in Bavaria at least, they were all cancelled a couple of weeks ago.

Bit of cold comfort for you.

Craftsman
    So what options are there to cancel with no losses if the destination you're travelling to is still open with both hotels and flights in operation?

My assumption is that you'd be looking at cancelling that at your own loss, no?

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Boris won’t want to spoil Christmas spending for the sake of a few deaths.
    It didn't bother him last year!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
    So what options are there to cancel with no losses if the destination you're travelling to is still open with both hotels and flights in operation?

Yep.

Currently wobbling myself with this, flights to Alicante for Mrs RJM and I booked 19th-26th and just don’t know if I can be arsed with it all now.

The fear is testing 2 days before we return and getting a positive, then facing 10 days isolation in a hotel plus new flights home.

The cost of the hotel, plus food, plus the cost of the flights, plus my car at Manchester airport for 10 extra days, plus 10 days off work (potentially unpaid?) followed by another test here before I can go back to work which could then STILL be positive…… And then paying for ANOTHER 10 days isolation in a hotel plus food plus another 10 days off work (potentially unpaid?)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    There's only one metric that matters...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries

M
    Remember the shops were open…..

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Remember the shops were open…..
    I remember my son being made redundant because his shop was closed down during the main pre-Christmas selling period and went out of business (Toy shops do a huge proportion of their selling pre-Christmas).

Of course, Amazon and the like did plenty of business so the Chancellor's coffers were swelled with the huge amount of tax those sales generated...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post

We booked through TUI who offer the option of transferring to another date - it’s nearly double the price move it to most of the dates we could go, which is a ridiculous amount for what it is. We could go to the Caribbean for less. Alternatively move it to somewhere in Europe in the summer which isn’t ideal as we’ve other holidays booked. If they cancel it we can get a refund, but that’s highly unlikely.

I’m fairly sure if we stay here, we’ll spend the week wishing we’d just gone! Likewise if we go, we’ll spend the week saying we should have stayed at home :-)

Of course things would be different if one of you had a positive test before departure, wouldn't they?

Blog Entries
    I remember my son being made redundant because his shop was closed down during the main pre-Christmas selling period and went out of business (Toy shops do a huge proportion of their selling pre-Christmas).

Of course, Amazon and the like did plenty of business so the Chancellor's coffers were swelled with the huge amount of tax those sales generated...

M
    Shops opened in the first few days of December right up to ‘just after Boxing Day but it was too little too late…..

The pubs and restaurants being shut had a dramatic effect on football as well….

- - - Updated - - -

Of course things would be different if one of you had a positive test before departure, wouldn't they?
    It then becomes a holiday insurance issue, assuming you have the cover.