closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Holidays 2021

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    A colleague tells me that, in Bavaria at least, they were all cancelled a couple of weeks ago.

Bit of cold comfort for you.
    Yes there are three regions that have cancelled them. One we were going to also closed and everything looks a little dodgy over there so I’m expecting other regions to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

It then becomes a holiday insurance issue, assuming you have the cover.
    I think one needs to have a serious look at the terms and conditions of one's travel cover - before commiting a substantial sum to a foreign holiday.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Curious if anyone is booked to go away this month and still going? We’re booked to go to Gran Canaria next week and are/were happy to do the day 2 PCR test on our return and isolate until the results come back. This weekend’s announcement of doing the pre departure tests before our return is making us rethink it.

Just wonder if anyone else is in the same position and what your thoughts are?
    We went to Lanzarote a few weeks back when all was 'green' on the Canaries. We (Netherlands) were 'red' at that time (and that hasn't changed). Spain has it's own paperwork to get into the country, You need to fill in all sorts online and that will provide you with a Spanish QR code you need to show when you've landed.

That was the only time someone asked us about a QR code, test certificate etc. Remember, a few weeks back. Things may have changed.

I did notice though that UK citizens are treated differently. Our opinion was that it had nothing to do with Covid-checks, but more with the EU's attitude towards Brexit. When the QR was checked, there was a queue from the 'EU + Swiss + Scandinavian countries' and there was a queue 'other countries'. The 'other countries' row was significantly slower than the EU queue.

On the Canaries, we needed to wear a facemask inside shops, hotels etc. When seated at a table in a restaurant (inside), one is allowed to take the mask off. The good thing is that you can have dinner etc outside where you do not need a facemask. And remember: the strong wind works as an advantage! More ventilation than you need...

On return from the Canaries, we didn't need to show anything at Schiphol. It was like there's no Covid... Perhaps that has changed now. On the other hand: my wife returned from Chicago last Thursday. And again, she wasn't asked for a QR code or similar.
    Last edited by thieuster; 6th December 2021 at 19:01.

I’m supposed to be going to Gran Canaria on Boxing Day ,fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Cancelled a family trip to Paris for 4 days the week before Christmas
    Booked up London instead.
    Lost about £400 as had some cover for the flights(though small print revealed no refund on extras like seats and baggage charges) and the hotel was refundable.
    Couldn't spare an extra 2 days on the return.

Master
    It's all looking rather dire again isn't it?
    After much serious consideration we have spoken to our travel agents and they have agreed that they are unlikely to be able to fulfil our holiday requirements (Singapore Hotel "under new management " and can't honour our booking for example) so have given us a full refund thankfully.
    We aren't even bothering to rebook at the moment although we still want to go, maybe Christmas/New Year at the end of next year. Maybe reassess June or July.

Master
    With all going on we looked at swapping to another date and it turns out the penalty fees make almost cheaper just to cancel the booking altogether. If we’d cancelled more than 28 days before going we’d have been fully covered, but 28 days ago no one had heard of this new variant. Supposed to be flying Monday. 50/50 on what to do now.

Blog Entries
    With all going on we looked at swapping to another date and it turns out the penalty fees make almost cheaper just to cancel the booking altogether. If we’d cancelled more than 28 days before going we’d have been fully covered, but 28 days ago no one had heard of this new variant. Supposed to be flying Monday. 50/50 on what to do now.
    What's your destination?

Remember that -over the last two years- we've experienced that the virus isn't very active during the summer. Chances of getting the virus will drop when yo go to a warm destination. Apart from that: a warm destination = eating outdoors etc. Your biggest risks are sitting in an airplane.

My next-door neighbours went to Capetown a few weeks back. During their stay, the new version of the virus was found and they were flown back to Schiphol. There, no-one was prepared: on return, the people from two flights (approximately. 600 pax) were 'stacked' together in a hall, waiting for their test... They sat there for hours. Only a handful certified nurses were available. My next-door neighbour tested positive, his wife negative. All he experienced was a cold. Now he's good again. It makes you wonder: did he get it in Capetown, on the plane or during the hours waiting? His idea is that he got it during the waiting period.

My idea is that flying to a warm-spot-on-the-map can't be too bad. What's more: the sun will provide your body with vitamin D (among others). And D has a positive effect on keeping the virus out. Several studies have shown that.

Menno

Master
    We’re going to Gran Canaria which should be reasonably warm. I’m triple jabbed and my wife and son are double jabbed. We’re more concerned of being stuck over there if we have to isolate with our 5 year old daughter who just wouldn’t understand what’s going on. Even more so with Xmas round the corner. One of my colleagues tested positive a few days back so I’ve been doing lateral flow tests since and waiting on a PCR result so if that’s negative going isn’t the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    What's your destination?

Remember that -over the last two years- we've experienced that the virus isn't very active during the summer. Chances of getting the virus will drop when yo go to a warm destination. Apart from that: a warm destination = eating outdoors etc. Your biggest risks are sitting in an airplane.

My next-door neighbours went to Capetown a few weeks back. During their stay, the new version of the virus was found and they were flown back to Schiphol. There, no-one was prepared: on return, the people from two flights (approximately. 600 pax) were 'stacked' together in a hall, waiting for their test... They sat there for hours. Only a handful certified nurses were available. My next-door neighbour tested positive, his wife negative. All he experienced was a cold. Now he's good again. It makes you wonder: did he get it in Capetown, on the plane or during the hours waiting? His idea is that he got it during the waiting period.

My idea is that flying to a warm-spot-on-the-map can't be too bad. What's more: the sun will provide your body with vitamin D (among others). And D has a positive effect on keeping the virus out. Several studies have shown that.

Menno

Blog Entries
    Just back this week from 5 nights in New York. Apart from some hassle around changing entry rules the break was brilliant. We had to produce ID and Covid vaccination confirmation on all tours, bars and restaurants. The mask wearing was neigh on 100 per cent. Great to get away. PS. All negative but one LFT and two PCRs this week. The last one to end the self isolation only came through about an hour ago.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    We’re going to Gran Canaria which should be reasonably warm. I’m triple jabbed and my wife and son are double jabbed. We’re more concerned of being stuck over there if we have to isolate with our 5 year old daughter who just wouldn’t understand what’s going on. Even more so with Xmas round the corner. One of my colleagues tested positive a few days back so I’ve been doing lateral flow tests since and waiting on a PCR result so if that’s negative going isn’t the issue.
    Don't forget to go to this website: https://spth.gob.es We noticed that quite a few people landing on the Canaries (Lanzarote in our case) had forgotten to fill this in.

Master
    We used our refunds to have a new kitchen! SWMBO is very happy. me, not so!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    We used our refunds to have a new kitchen! SWMBO is very happy. me, not so!
    'A happy wife a happy life', springs to mind. Honestly, I wasn't into going to Lanzarote, but my wife insisted - and paid for it. I have admitted to her that it was a great idea. The fact that I was bowled over by the scenery of the island must have helped changing my view. In this case, the 'happy wife...' phrase had everything to do with the holiday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Don't forget to go to this website: https://spth.gob.es We noticed that quite a few people landing on the Canaries (Lanzarote in our case) had forgotten to fill this in.
    Thanks. Just made the decision not to go. Ensuring a happy Xmas for our 5 year old outweighed the risk. Oh well. Not going to dwell on it now.

Master
    We have a family trip booked to Malaga right after Christmas, on 26th. Not 100% sure anymore if we will go, my wife is eager to go, but the reality might just be otherwise. I was on a business trip this week and it was clear to see that there were less travellers and more officials at airports. Coming back we could not get online boarding passes - we had to queue at the airport so they could check the covid passports before they gave the boarding cards. This will, once again, only get more difficult as infection rates increase.

My only holiday this year was two weeks in hospital with pneumonia and complications. Looking forward to a trip to Rome in April with family. Not holding my breath but at least I can now. :)

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Yep.

Currently wobbling myself with this, flights to Alicante for Mrs RJM and I booked 19th-26th and just don’t know if I can be arsed with it all now.

The fear is testing 2 days before we return and getting a positive, then facing 10 days isolation in a hotel plus new flights home.

The cost of the hotel, plus food, plus the cost of the flights, plus my car at Manchester airport for 10 extra days, plus 10 days off work (potentially unpaid?) followed by another test here before I can go back to work which could then STILL be positive…… And then paying for ANOTHER 10 days isolation in a hotel plus food plus another 10 days off work (potentially unpaid?)

Rebooked mine for Easter. It was £6.05p more expensive and EasyJet insisted I pay that before they would change it.

So, I hope I’m out on bail by then because likely to give someone in my extended family a slap if I have to spend a second successive Xmas with them…….. they’re the reason I go to Spain for Xmas!

Sri Lanka for New Year all being well.

Blog Entries
    Slowly but surely we're able to start the Holiday 2022 thread. My grandmother would have used the term D.V. as well: Deo Volente(...)

Master
    My wife phoned and amazingly they allowed us to move it for free. Well done TUI!

My wife phoned and amazingly they allowed us to move it for free. Well done TUI!
    Result
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I still plan to go but admit to getting bored with the endless hoops to jump through.

Im impressed by TUI so far.

I had BA and virgin gold cards for over 5 years. BA were unacceptably slow refunding flights they cancelled and Virgin don’t seem to fly anywhere I want to go any more. So no longer any loyalty to them.

Has anyone been to Lanzarote (or any of the Canary Islands) since the UK Government introduced the need for a PCR? Be interested to know how much the test was and how easy it was to organise (especially if you got the trst done at the hotel). Thanks.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Blog Entries
    The only thing I can tell you is that there are a lot of small clinics on Lanzarote, often run by English or German speaking medics. Lots of these small clinics are close to the large hotels.

My wife and her brother are planning a trip to Grindelwald (Switzerland) in January. Swiss authorities demand a PCR test when they're there. Their hotel offers help to arrange that. That has to do with the fact that the hotel management is afraid that lots of potential tourists will back out before embarking on their skiing holiday.

Why not contact the hotel on Lanzarote? I'm sure they're more than willing to help with an address of a clinic on Lanzarote. For them it's an insurance that people will still be traveling to Lanzarote. (Where will you be staying, btw)

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 14th December 2021 at 20:33.

Master

Holidays 2021

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Sri Lanka for New Year all being well.
    We are there in Feb all being well, BIA seems to be the biggest worry with red tape around what tests they will and won’t accept for the return (even to allow you into the airport to catch your flight!)

Oh and also just spotted mandatory local insurance is now required from 1stJan 22 for all visitors including fully vaccinated - see here for link

https://covidtraveladvice.kuoni.co.u...tion/sri-lanka

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nictry; 16th December 2021 at 00:26.

One of the grads at work just went away for a week with his gf. Negative PCR tests on the way out but the gf had a positive PCR coming back.

They took the picture of the passport and PCR test as normal and then edited out the second line in Photoshop and uploaded the Photoshop instead. Caught the flight home no issues.

I wouldn't trust planes at the minute if it really is that slack. Also can't believe he was on a Teams meeting bragging about it but he is a kid.

Holidays 2021

Going Saturday to the French Alps for our first family ski holiday. 2 years in the making and over £500 of covid testing but hopefully memories for a lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Going Saturday to the French Alps for our first family ski holiday. 2 years in the making and over £500 of covid testing but hopefully memories for a lifetime
    Not sure if the NHS Scotland app works even now - in France, and when I tried to get the French app/QR code a couple of months ago - they stated that they were swamped, so to just take my NHS Scotland certificate. I printed off a few - and had to show it in restaurants. In reality - they gave it a cursory glance and surmised that us old duffers would be fully vaccinated.

Enjoy yer hols !

Holidays 2021

The French app is called TousAntiCovid.
    It is brilliant.
    It will be in English if it’s the language your phone is set to.
    It will recognise NHS QR codes, including boosters.
    It will give you local Covid info if you type in the French postcode.
    It respects your privacy.
    If you use an iPhone and/or Apple Watch, you can have your QR code on the watch or as a widget. Probably the same with Android but haven’t tried.

It is however likely that rules for travelling to France will change very soon and I don’t know how it will affect us in the UK.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 16th December 2021 at 09:05.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Just on news now, France increasing restrictions on travel from UK.

Master
    Or maybe spending time in quarantine looking out on the snow- news doesn’t look promising

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Just on news now, France increasing restrictions on travel from UK.
    \

Unless you are French or your spouse is - that should keep the virus at bay.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The French app is called TousAntiCovid.
    It is brilliant.
    It will be in English if it’s the language your phone is set to.
    It will recognise NHS QR codes, including boosters.
    It will give you local Covid info if you type in the French postcode.
    It respects your privacy.
    If you use an iPhone and/or Apple Watch, you can have your QR code on the watch or as a widget. Probably the same with Android but haven’t tried.

It is however likely that rules for travelling to France will change very soon and I don’t know how it will affect us in the UK.
    There is/was a distinct difference in NHS England and the other devolved NHSs

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    \

They are trying to LIMIT, not cut off completely. I guess you know that?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    There is/was a distinct difference in NHS England and the other devolved NHSs
    My apologies: I have only tried it with NHS England QRs, for obvious reasons.
    However I just checked on the French Embassy site and
    La nouvelle attestation de vaccination NHS Scotland comprend un QR code qu’il est possible de scanner et d’ajouter dans l’application TousAntiCovid pour justifier de votre statut vaccinal. Vous pouvez aussi imprimer votre certificat de vaccination avec QR code et le présenter sur papier.
    {source: https://uk.ambafrance.org/Passe-sani...au-Royaume-Uni)
    I put the French version as the English version is more succinct and does not address this specific issue.

My apologies: I have only tried it with NHS England QRs, for obvious reasons.
    However I just checked on the French Embassy site and

{source: https://uk.ambafrance.org/Passe-sani...au-Royaume-Uni)
    I put the French version as the English version is more succinct and does not address this specific issue.

I reckon it will work now, then. The Scottish NHS app now shows booster dates (after a fashion) also for international travel.

First it is not about being French, as it works if you or your spouse is a EU citizen.
    Second, it would require a completely different level of blockage (up to martial law, possibly) for France to prevent its citizens from returning to their own country.
    Lastly, no, it will not keep the virus at bay. Nothing will. It may however buy a little time.

Master
    Deleted. Was meant to be a new thread.
    Last edited by gerrudd; 16th December 2021 at 11:33.

France has banned tourists from the UK starting Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    France has banned tourists from the UK starting Saturday.
    Good job.

First it is not about being French, as it works if you or your spouse is a EU citizen.
    Second, it would require a completely different level of blockage (up to martial law, possibly) for France to prevent its citizens from returning to their own country.
    Lastly, no, it will not keep the virus at bay. Nothing will. It may however buy a little time.
    The boat has sadly (ironically?) sailed.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The boat has sadly (ironically?) sailed.
    Possible, but we don't know that yet. The number of daily cases identified in the UK yesterday was marginally higher than France's but that is not really the issue. I am convinced that both here and across the Channel covid restrictions will increase significantly. It is politically easier to do in France, and unfortunately for Halitosis here and all the professionals who work in the sector I am not sure that holidaying in France or anywhere in Europe, and beyond anywhere that hasn't closed its borders to us (because they are already badly affected, mad or desperate, or a combination of those three) is a good idea until we know more about how dangerous this variant really is.

Master
    I feel sorry for you given the latest news from France. There is maybe some useful info here https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...-holiday-plans

Well that didn’t pan out well. Gutted

Well that didn’t pan out well. Gutted
    Sorry to hear that, especially after all the planning.

Master
    Heads up when flying TUI.

If you pay for premium seats ( approx £1000 per seat extra), it’s does not mean you will be sat next to each other.

Don’t ask how I found out.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post

If you pay for premium seats ( approx £1000 per seat extra), it’s does not mean you will be sat next to each other.

£1k additional PER SEAT???? Where were you going - Outer Space????

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Pmsl

Master
    Might as well be there now as it’s cold and there’s very little atmosphere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post

Did you not pre book the seats at the time of booking? We always do that before completing the booking and did it a couple of days ago when we moved a holiday.

Only time it’s not worked was on a P&O cruise to the Caribbean where they used a TUI plane and you could only book premium seats until a few weeks before departure (I guess when some cruise itineraries are organised it’s a couple of years before the planes are booked) - my parents sat together, as did my two sons and my wife and daughter, but I was seated a bit away.