closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays 2021

We have a 16 night cruise t Iceland and Greenland booked - carried over from last year.

Whether it goes ahead I think is 50/50, and we won't go if the experience is going to be compromised in anyway.

We are lucky enough to have a holiday home by the sea in Somerset (which we haven't been to since October), so we will go there regardless - which to be honest is fine by me.
    So clever my foot fell off.

We're playing it by ear but looks like most of the UK will be booked, and super expensive as result, so hoping to do the usual car and bikes on the tunnel to France for self-catering somewhere.

Last year was one of our best holidays, partly because all the initial uncertainty and the stress involved in the build up meant getting there was a massive relief.

To think that the threshold for placing a country on the at-risk register was 20 in 100,000 positive cases. Those were the days …

Craftsman
    Wife booked the Monday to Friday at centre parcs to celebrate her dads 80th birthday this July.
    One 3 bedroom and a 2 bedroom for 6 adults and 3 kids. Could have got a Rolex OP for what it cost, if there were any available that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Wife booked the Monday to Friday at centre parcs to celebrate her dads 80th birthday this July.
    One 3 bedroom and a 2 bedroom for 6 adults and 3 kids. Could have got a Rolex OP for what it cost, if there were any available that is.
    The only way to get rid of money quicker than staying at Center Parcs is burning £50 notes in the garden.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    The only way to get rid of money quicker than staying at Center Parcs is burning £50 notes in the garden.

'Ain't that the truth.

We used to go a fair bit years back - haven't been for probably fifteen years as the prices have become ludicrous.

Mind you, one of my staff was telling me that their four night stay for a family of three at Butlins half-board - scheduled (and cancelled) for this Easter was £2.5k!!!

Bonkers.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Infinitely more pleasurable as well.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    I know. I hate the place but the mrs and her side of the family love it and go every year, I’m only going cause it’s her dads birthday. They’ve not even booked activities yet, and they love the activities.

Not even going to consider foreign travel this year.

Master

Holidays 2021

A lot of optimism in this thread for the summer which I don’t really share if I’m honest
    50/50 maybe
    Booked a caravan as a fallback in Scotland and if foreign holidays are on can book last minute.
    I hope you guys are right and we’’’ are flying
    Last edited by Hood; 3rd March 2021 at 23:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Heading to Thailand in July
    IIRC you have contacts there, do you know how they have been affected by covid. Aside from loss of tourism do they have high infection rates,are they coping with healthcare?

No problem if you don’t know!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    IIRC you have contacts there, do you know how they have been affected by covid. Aside from loss of tourism do they have high infection rates,are they coping with healthcare?

Afaik, they are doing quite okay. Generally everyone in the city is compliant and wear masks

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Master

Thailand’s infection rates and deaths are tiny compared to ours.
    They stopped international travel almost immediately and for those permitted to enter the country, it was and still is 14 day quarantine in a government chosen hotel at the cost of the person flying in if they are not a Thai national.
    I’m a member of a group called breakfast club Pattaya on Facebook and there were regular updates on there from people living there.
    Beaches were shut (couldn’t even walk on them let alone swim in the sea) even swimming pools in hotels and condos were shut. Masks were worn in public. All restaurants and pubs were shut.
    It was pretty draconian but it worked. Everything mentioned above is now back open.

They have had a grand total of 86 deaths and now have vaccines arriving in the country from Sinovac and Astrazeneca. They have done very well

we cancelled everything last year and bought a caravan, we also cancelled this year's trip to Spain but have decided to sell the caravan, it wasn't what I thought I'd be.

Not bothering with any holidays this year, I'm going to use the time to get a few odd jobs done around the house but I'm going to use my credit note to book a flight next May and I've just put down a deposit for a holiday in July/Aug next year.

My wife's 2020 Butterfly spotting holiday (to Greece, I think, I've actually forgotten where she was going!) has been cancelled for 2021, so she's going to carry it over to 2022 (It's seasonal, like most nature trips).

No word on my Cyrus trip yet, but I doubt it'll be possible in early May (I certainly won't have received 2 doses of any vaccine by then), so I may look at moving my flights to late Summer or even 2022.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Apprentice
    I'm thinking of flying to Kyiv and checking out Chernobyl. Has anyone done this? Is it worth doing?
    Anyone know how busy the tour groups get this time of year? I'll probably go by myself, but would hopefully want at least a few more people on the tour group.
    I’ve found online https://trip-to-chernobyl.com/ seem to priced for those traveling in a group.
    Last edited by Zurvan7; 12th March 2021 at 15:01.

A bloke at work just booked two weeks inclusive in Crete, he was going to book a caravan on the south coast but it was more expensive

We have booked flights to Greece in July. I am pretty sure we won't have had the jab by then so might be moving the flights to later in the summer

Master
    Not even contemplating foreign travel this year- Family visit to the Emerald Isle on the agenda, actually looking forward to just few hours drive, no horrendous airport/ plane journeys, no jet lag and weeks of glorious sun...... well potentially cloud and rain. I always seem to just pop over for long weekends so will be nice to spend two weeks relaxing.

Master
    We’ve now booked flights to Greece in June and September. Will both have had at least the first jab by then so fingers crossed!

We've booked flights to northern Cyprus via Turkey for late June. Flights can be rescheduled for free and we have a place over there so it gives something to hope for.

Taking the caravan to the Cotswolds in early May for a week, then over to the Gower in July. Also booked a 10 day motorcycle tour of the Champagne region in early September.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Had a cruise booked on the ship where my wife and I first met while working on board. Not only was the cruise cancelled, but the cruise line went bust and the ship has gone to the scrap yard. So we'll never get the chance to see it again

Holiday for four of us, wife, two girls and myself, going to Sorrento last July ended up morphing itself into Barut Fethiye Turkey in early june this year. Consequently tui had to move our flights which didn't suit and none of us felt secure enough to want to go anyway so refund issued.
    We are now (hopefully) going to a Hoseasons lodge not far from the Yorkshire coast with a "hot tub time machine" and are going back in time to September 19, Wuhan China to take a flame thrower to a massive wet market.
    On coming forward again in time with said time machine, we will see if it worked and enjoy a week somewhere warm in September for our anniversary :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Anyone taken the plunge recently and booked anything recently ? So many conflicting stories about whether travel is going on or not in a few months time.

Unlikely we’ll go abroad this summer, but if we do it will be last minute if things feel safe. Considering December or February further afield but reluctant to commit right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Anyone taken the plunge recently and booked anything recently ? So many conflicting stories about whether travel is going on or not in a few months time.

Unlikely we’ll go abroad this summer, but if we do it will be last minute if things feel safe. Considering December or February further afield but reluctant to commit right now.
    Started thinking about 2023...Japan top of my list.

Master
    We have re-booked our January 2021 far east holiday till January 2022. Fingers crossed it will actually be all open for visitors then.

Craftsman
    Ive got ober 2k stucjk with easyjet at the moment with no chance of a refund.
    We were originally going in a large family group to France last summer, when that went wrong we thought we'd be ok to travel in 2021 so changed the flights to Cyprus in late July this year.
    The villa owner is now not renting it as he has been unable to get there himself over the winter and Iwe do not want to be travelling this summer even if we can.
    Will probably move the flights on again to 2022 or maybe use for a couple of city breaks later in the year.

I speculatively (re)booked some flights to the US last year for the end of May 2021. Seems the US could be one of the few places on the rumoured green list, but I think ours will come too soon to go with any confidence that it still won’t be disrupted in some way. Could potentially delay till later in the summer, otherwise the trip will be postponed for the 3rd time and pushed out to 2022!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I've booked a trip for March 2022 abroad hoping the autumn/winter wave should be over then, existing UK trips still planned in May and July 2021 and a couple of weeks in June/July off work but will only be booked at short notice for wherever is appropriate shortly before the time!

Master
    We’re not going to bother this year - too much uncertainty. Devon and the Lakes for us so not complaining.

I used to do at least one long haul (and a couple of short hauls) per month with work and I haven’t stepped foot on a plane for the last 15 months. I haven’t missed it!

Master
    Booked 2 week's end July beginning Sept' to Corfu.
    If we can go we will, if not, re-book for 2022. We're with Jet2 who seem very good at re-bookings/refunds.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    That’s just my kind of 2 weeks
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Holiday for four of us, wife, two girls and myself, going to Sorrento last July ended up morphing itself into Barut Fethiye Turkey in early june this year. Consequently tui had to move our flights which didn't suit and none of us felt secure enough to want to go anyway so refund issued.
    We are now (hopefully) going to a Hoseasons lodge not far from the Yorkshire coast with a "hot tub time machine" and are going back in time to September 19, Wuhan China to take a flame thrower to a massive wet market.
    On coming forward again in time with said time machine, we will see if it worked and enjoy a week somewhere warm in September for our anniversary :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    God speed and the very best of luck to your plan.

Master
    If we can go we will, if not, re-book for 2022. We're with Jet2 who seem very good at re-bookings/refunds.

Sorry, meant last week Aug/Sept,
    hard to keep track of the changes/cancellations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That’s just my kind of 2 weeks
    Yep, wish it were true, however, meant to say last week Aug, 1st week Sept. Well spotted.

Craftsman
    Has anyone been abroad yet this year since you’ve been ‘allowed’?

Where did you go? How easy was it to get a test for return etc?

Cheers

Not been anywhere, not going anywhere. Will take a fresh look next year.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not been anywhere, not going anywhere. Will take a fresh look next year.
    Same as - same as.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post

Cheers
    Wife and i came back from Majorca a week or so ago. Was a faff getting the tests for our return as we booked it too late to get the one offered by TUI.

Luckily the clinic was opposite the hotel we stayed in for the one required for our return to this country and we did all the passenger forms online without too much stress.

I’d say it it was worth it overall; got out of the country and didn’t worry/watch the news, was a relatively quiet place and generally just did bugger all for 2 weeks.

Cheers
    Went to the USA to see the wifes' family, the trip coincided with my 50th and my sons 11th Bdays, so it seemed too good an opportunity to miss, I suspect there may yet be additional travel restrictions applied before this is over.
    No need for a test when we returned to Spain, kept mostly to ourselves socially for 10 days but no requirement to do so. Took a test at a local pharmacy within 48 hrs of departure. Madrid airport was nearly empty when we flew out at the end of June and once we'd proved to the lady at the Iberia desk that I was entitled to admission by virtue of marriage to a US citizen all was good. On return leg we filled out a 'locater form' that was required for readmission to Spain, the Spanish rules evolved while we were over there to say we didn't need a test on return.
    Last edited by Passenger; 26th July 2021 at 12:37.

July proved a bust for going to France, and just as we were looking at end July/1st two weeks August - the lack of accommodation coincided of a rule change on returning, so that cancelled that idea.

Still hopeful of 2wks in Pyrenees in Sept.

Anyone travelled to Italy this year? The rules for amber list countries seem confusing as hell.

Master
    Arrived back last week from nearly a month in Portugal, lovely and quiet (as could be expected) for high season.

All covid documentation ready for outward flight - no one asked to see any of it! - around 10 passengers on the plane.

Test to return very easy to arrange locally if required , around 25 Euro, but we had purchased a 4 test package before departure from Randox Health so used a drop box locally with results within 24 hours.

UK passenger Locator forms completed but due to the change in rules re no quarantine required for vaccinated arrivals from amber list locations as from the 19th July, they had not been fully updated online so it was best efforts.

Covid and locator form inspected at Faro airport, but passport only at UK, no mention of quarantine and no phone call/contact since.

Again a nice quiet flight back, and looking forward to returning very soon

Master
    We have booked a one way ticket to Spain and hope to do just a smidge under 90 days out there. Even the sunny weather is rubbish over here.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Anyone travelled to Italy this year? The rules for amber list countries seem confusing as hell.
    Would like to go to Italy first few weeks of September but like you say, very little guidance on what they’re doing. I recall from the football 3 weeks ago you couldn’t go to Italy from the UK without the requirement to quarantine for 5 days. No idea if that has been/will be relaxed.

Malta and Greece seem very clear on guidance.

Vaccinated - no need for a test to get out there or no need for quarantine. Need a test to return and a ‘day 2’ test.

Hopefully going somewhere for those weeks but as it stands absolutely no idea where.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    It's all here https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...virus-covid-19

Would like to go to Italy first few weeks of September but like you say, very little guidance on what they’re doing. I recall from the football 3 weeks ago you couldn’t go to Italy from the UK without the requirement to quarantine for 5 days. No idea if that has been/will be relaxed.

Malta and Greece seem very clear on guidance.

Vaccinated - no need for a test to get out there or no need for quarantine. Need a test to return and a ‘day 2’ test.

Hopefully going somewhere for those weeks but as it stands absolutely no idea where.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

I am booked to fly into Pisa in September, and then onto Florence (7 days total) - I am going to wait until the second week in August to decide. As Kingsteppers link shows, not worth it at the moment, depends if they lift quarantine rules - the rules apply upto 30th July, fingers crossed they change.

Master
    Currently in Crete, travelling here was a pleasure, quiet airport, plane not full , quick test on landing. Returning tomorrow- took our lateral flow tests with us and now done. Will have to do a PCR when we get home tomorrow. No British tourists here but nice atmosphere and the Greeks couldn’t be more welcoming. Coming back here in September

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I asked if anyone had travelled have you?