closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays 2021

Master

Holidays 2021

Anyone booked anything or still waiting to see how things go?

We had two holidays cancelled this year and intended to rebook for next year but until a friend mentioned it earlier we haven’t really thought about it too much. I’ve seen the canaries have opened up again and a week in December this year would be lovely but just doesn’t seem sensible right now. There will be a sensible time but when I guess is the million dollar question.

100% waiting - if for no other reason than to see if any airlines or travel companies fail. I’d hate to book now only to have to go through a claim

I hear Devon's a nice place to holiday in. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Biking holidays in France and Spain if possible. Won't be booking anything until late spring though.

Managed to squeeze one in this year.

Everything I had booked for 2020, I’ve rebooked for next year.
    Without fail, every hotel, airline or holiday group have responded positively to rearranging the travel plans .

I must admit, I did also toy with a break in The Canaries towards the end of the year but I think I’ll just sit tight for now .

Booked flights to Athens for mid-August and will pick up a hire car and head down to the southern Peloponnese (Stoupa).

The outbound was paid for with an EasyJet credit note for a flight we didn’t take in summer 2020, and the return is with BA and paid for on credit card, but was so cheap we decided to take the risk. I booked all this back in late August.

Villa and hire car is cancellable with no charge almost right up to arrival.

So, all booked with only £100s at risk. Not sure I’d be doing the same if I was lumping £1000s out.

Master
    Nothing booked but busting to get stuff in plan, my ski trip,wifes france visits to her brothers, our joint trips. Reluctant to spend any money with all the uncertainty and prefer to keep any funds at home. The only relative certainty is our trip out in our Narrowboat.

One rebooked for August 2021, second for 2022 (cruise).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I hear Devon's a nice place to holiday in. ;-)

R
    Probably the best place of all, give it a go :-)

Blog Entries
    Still struggling to get a lot (a lót!) of money back from ClubMed... We'll see after that. For me, it's pretty easy: sailing. That's as covid-proof as possible can be when I'm on a boat. I'm thinking about selling one of my cars and buy a nice Dutch-classic wooden boat instead.

M

Master
    We had two good foreign holidays since lockdown - much needed as working more than full time throughout - but we chose to drive and stayed with relatives abroad, thus mitigating some of the travel related risk. Best holiday ever; there’s something special about getting somewhere abroad under your own steam and I’ll always remember the experience.

There’s no way I’d book a traditional holiday for the next year or so (eg flight & hotel).

I think driving holidays offer the safest bet. Watch the stats and news closely and take an informed risk on when to go - that’s what we did, and it paid off well. It’s not ideal, and still could have caused issues if lockdown were suddenly imposed whilst away, but it worked out for us back in the Summer.

I wouldn’t suggest even considering thinking about doing it again until next Spring at the earliest though.
    Last edited by ach5; 25th October 2020 at 20:42.

I usually book a ferry before Christmas for 3 of us to do a 3 week tour somewhere in Europe on the GSAs
    I think I may wait this year. Still looking to go though
    This year I managed to get away for 2 weeks on my own.
    Who knows what star we’ll be in next year. Impossible to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Got a week snowboarding in Andorra early Feb... expecting it to be cancelled but it's all covered anyway.
    Also have a trip to Bruges booked for the end of Feb as that was the latest I could move it to following months of hassle trying to get a refund from LastMinute.com

Sent from my OnePlus Nord using Tapatalk
    Last edited by amnesia; 26th October 2020 at 13:34.

Master
    Good question!

One of the advantages of my job is I get a fair amount of leave and usually allocate it through the year and plan trips in advance as half the fun is in the planning IMO.

Had some trips at the start of this year which were nice and then one domestic one in July. Since then has been day trips to places rather than any real holiday. I haven't really had the inclination to go anywhere over the last few months as there is no where I want to go with all the risk and hassle +/- quarantine that this currently entails. Had a week off in early Oct that was wasted IMO as it didn't really achieve anything!

May well have a sabbatical from holidays until mid 2021 and just book overtime during weeks of leave and use this to fund a sabbatical from work potentially from mid 2021 if things look better then. However might strategically plan the weeks off when I may ordinarily go skiing for example just in case things take a turn for the better!

Craftsman
    We are sitting tight, have a channel tunnel crossing booked for December 27th (was meant to be August 29th) which I’ll move to next year, IIRC you can move the booking unlimited times as long as you travel within the year following the original booking. I saved £20 by not booking cancellation with a refund option... great decision.

We are planning on doing the same trip next summer - I’ll book all hotels on free cancellation again. I’ll probably end up booking in March hopefully if we have a better picture of how things will stand.

We had a trip to the US booked which took c.3 months to get everything back on.

I managed to get away twice this summer without the need to isolate both times. Spain on July 9th and Italy August 29th. Very lucky.

Craftsman
    I will add - getting money back in 3 months I thought was pretty damn quick.

I have a flight to Larnaca booked for May.

It was supposed to be last March and then September, so I'm not holding my breath...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    I really need a holiday this year. What are peoples thoughts on the virus situation come October?
    7 months of vaccinations away, will we get back to some semblance of normality by then?
    I’d like to do two weeks in Turkey to just crash out by the pool and let the kids wear themselves out in the water park.

Heading to Thailand in July

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    One rebooked for August 2021, second for 2022 (cruise).
    And the 2021 has just been cancelled.........................jeez.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I really need a holiday this year. What are peoples thoughts on the virus situation come October?
    7 months of vaccinations away, will we get back to some semblance of normality by then?
    I’d like to do two weeks in Turkey to just crash out by the pool and let the kids wear themselves out in the water park.
    It’s not just what we (UK) have done but also what the other countries have managed to do.

Personally I would book what you feel comfortable booking and with the knowledge that you may lose some money. I would guess that Turkey will be ok by October.

I can't help but think that the world needs to be a bit more 'stable' for cruises. If there is an outbreak on a cruise ship - you can (all) find yourselves at the mercy of Port Control of whatever country you are visiting.

I'd want to review a year's cruises before casting off, so to say........................

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I can't help but think that the world needs to be a bit more 'stable' for cruises. If there is an outbreak on a cruise ship - you can (all) find yourselves at the mercy of Port Control of whatever country you are visiting.

I'd want to review a year's cruises before casting off, so to say........................
    I concur - just seems sooooooooo long since we had a holiday.

Master
    FYI - looks like P&O intend to try cruising this summer but only the British Isles. Whether that’s allowable or even viable remains to be seen.

Greece and Spain seem keen on getting Brits this summer. Have to say we went to Portugal last summer and everything went smoothly. Airports, shops etc all mask wearing but it was fine.

I’m guessing most of us will have been vaccinated in a couple of months which might be the rule for travelling, but the issue I guess will be, what about children? Will they be exempt?

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    FYI - looks like P&O intend to try cruising this summer but only the British Isles. Whether that’s allowable or even viable remains to be seen.

Greece and Spain seem keen on getting Brits this summer. Have to say we went to Portugal last summer and everything went smoothly. Airports, shops etc all mask wearing but it was fine.

I’m guessing most of us will have been vaccinated in a couple of months which might be the rule for travelling, but the issue I guess will be, what about children? Will they be exempt?
    Saw this earlier today.

Ours was Royal Caribbean to Alaska (from Vancouver) it was looking shakey a few weeks ago when Canada announced it's ports were closed to cruise ships for the whole of 2021.

Master
    Devon and the Lake District... we’ve given up on the Far East plans for another year!

I guess Spain / Portugal etc may be possible late summer. But certainly not banking on it.

Mostly UK, hopefully Transylvania and I have a feeling that Nepal will be pushed back to 2022. Work trips are a holiday without having to book leave, a couple of those might come along.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master

Talking about a trip to Kiev with some friends on November, and would like to get a way for a multi city stay in Italy for the wife’s Birthday in December.
    Other than that not going to plan much, still trying to get a refund nearly a year on from a cancelled trip to Rome, and whenever we look at travelling somewhere it seems to have another increase and end up being locked down again

Blog Entries
    Sailing in July That was and is allowed under the current rules. So I think I'll start when the weather is nice. Often around Easter.

Blog Entries
    Nah, not going to bother yet. Had the opportunity to rebook two cruises for this year but took the refunds instead. I'd rather wait and see, there won't be any shortage of holidays when things open up again.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I quite fancy a trip to Las Vegas for a blow out in the Autumn, get a car and drive through the desert..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I quite fancy a trip to Las Vegas for a blow out in the Autumn, get a car and drive through the desert..
    looking for the ghost of Gram Parsons check into 29 Palms or the Joshua Tree
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

Was having the same conversation with my missus last night. Would love to get away and the vaccine passport sounds promising, but there has been no mention of how any such rules will apply to kids (as seems to be zero chance they will be vaccinated any time soon, if ever)

Please continue to observe the local rules on masks, distancing etc wherever you go.

Cornwall late June with the grown up kids +
    puppy, then a week in the Lake District just the good lady and me (with puppy) in September. Intend to take the MX5 on both trips...should be entertaining packing

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Please continue to observe the local rules on masks, distancing etc wherever you go.
    Fat chance of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    We're in a similar boat. Confident that the wife and I will have had our vaccines but doubt the kids will have by then... I reckon countries will be doing everything in their power to start tourism again but vaccines may be the obvious proviso.

So can we jettison the kids...

Craftsman
    Had a holiday booked in St Lucia for March 2020. Lockdown a week before we went. Holiday was postponed to November. Didn’t happen and was rebooked for March this year- obviously still not on. Currently earliest date for overseas travel is 17 May and we have flights on 20 May.....I’m still not confident and have provisional bookings for November. We will get there eventually.
    It’ll feel like a free holiday because I paid for it nearly 2 years ago.

Master
    With the speed in which rules change and dramas unfold with this virus it would be utterly reckless to take my family abroad. Somewhere in the U.K. I expect but will see what happens

Master
    Blog Entries
    We have a Cruise booked for the 4th May which now ain’t going to happen, also a week in Wales August that should be OK. October we are all booked for Mexico held over from last October as my daughter is getting married, we are hopeful for that one. It’s cost me more money to shift it from last year and when you are paying for ten people it adds up. We have now booked a Mekong river Cruise in Feb next year just hope it all clear by then.

Master
    We will be going to the Caribbean on 21st June.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Holidays 2021

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    have now booked a Mekong river Cruise in Feb next year just hope it all clear by then.
    That should be good....some years ago I ambled along the Mekong for a few days on what was basically a raft with a roof. Absolutely brilliant. Lovely part of the world with lovely people.

Last edited by village; 3rd March 2021 at 21:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    With the speed in which rules change and dramas unfold with this virus it would be utterly reckless to take my family abroad. Somewhere in the U.K. I expect but will see what happens
    I agree, if we were talking about now, but for me personally, I’m looking seven months down the road. That’s a lot of vaccinations in that time and obviously we would monitor the situation closer to the date.

We had a trip planned to Portugal for May. We didn’t bother booking flights and the accommodation could be cancelled free of charge which we have now done. There’s no way I’m going abroad this year. Instead we’ll be visiting my parents in Devon and going on holiday to Kent in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    We will be going to the Caribbean on 21st June.
    Which cruise line Steve?

Master
    Happened to me and 'er indoors as well today. Was supposed to be going to Malta, Greek islands and somewhere in Turkey on Azura (P&O).

Master
    So far I have a week in the Forest of Dean in late May with family and a week near Rutland Water in early July with a small group of friends. Both self catering and with good cancellation policies and thus fairly low risk in the context of holidays nowadays. If you had asked me in 2019 where I would travel to in summer 2021, neither of those places would have made the cut (!) but they are places I haven't been and better than no travel I am sure.

Have a lot of leave to use before August so have another week off work in mid June and late June/July so will look to book something else for at least one of those but probably more of a last minute thing.

Will evaluate later summer 2021 towards the start of summer as things may well have changed a bit by then...

Blog Entries
    Quite honestly there are just the two of us and we have no plans to holiday anytime soon got to be some big changes , opening up and safety in place but i am lucky retired live semi rural and on the beach with the dogs most days so a holiday is not a priority.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Which cruise line Steve?
    Not cruising off to a nice sunny beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Not cruising off to a nice sunny beach.