closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: No forum love for the aqua terra?

No forum love for the aqua terra?

I’d be interested to hear some views on some musings...

When I first got into the hobby a few years ago, the AT was very much a watch I looked up to and hoped to acquire. To me, it’s extremely versatile, dresses up or down, has a modern movement and comes from a respected manufacturer. It is, in my view Omega’s answer to the Explorer 1, a perennial forum favourite, though I’ve never got onboard with the explorer’s lumed 3,6,9 dial, and Rolex price and availability issues also come into the discussion when that comparison starts.

Thing is, the aqua terra seems to be very rarely spoken about and I hardly ever see them pop up for sale. I would assume not many others like it and I wonder why:

Does its aim to be a watch for all occasions mean it’s fundamentally not really one for any, essentially let down by its versatility? Is it that it gets walked over by similar watches above and below its price point?

All views welcome!

Craftsman
    Love my skyfall. Don't think I'll ever part with it. Back with omega for service at the moment.

Master
    I used to find them a bit bland. Nowadays I appreciate them but they’re too expensive for me. The earlier Railmaster appeals to me so much more and looks more of a rival to the Explorer. Having said that, the Aqua Terra on SC at the moment looks great and is really well priced.

Craftsman
    I really liked them, but other watches seem to take over and never got around to getting one. Suppose they can be quite bland, however i'm starting to appreciate bland as i get older... much like my food. Maybe if the opportunity presents itself i will pick one up as i do find myself looking at them more and more lately.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The blue on silver AT has been one of my favourite watches for well over a decade. I've worn it to weddings, on holiday and even as a reserve while diving, although to be fair, that was mostly to be able to say I had. It's an examplary all rounder that you can put on and forget about in all circumstances and in the full range of social situations. There are some vintage watches that can carry this off, but only the classic DJ and the best of the Grand Seiko manage it with such unphased aplomb.

If I could only have one watch out of every watch there is, this would be a serious contender.

I love mine, looks great on the bracelet or leather, I’ve even been known to pop it on a nato, just this morning I put it on a Haveston canvas for something different.

I've been looking at these myself recently. I think a blue or black dial 39mm 2500 would be a perfect all rounder. Versatile and understated.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No forum love for the aqua terra?

Last edited by Argon; 25th October 2020 at 14:13. Reason: Pic posting issues

I'm a big fan! I've had a couple of 41.5mm AT's. Love the fully brushed bracelet.

Here is my current grey dial, and my long gone white dial.

Sent using Tapatalk

It’s one of my favourite watches. As others have said, it’s versatile and such a clean design.

Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    I've been looking at these myself recently. I think a blue or black dial 39mm 2500 would be a perfect all rounder. Versatile and understated.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    My views exactly. Have always fancied the sky fall mentioned above but a new black dial one would probably be the supreme all rounder.

Master
    They keep tweaking the design but only a few versions feel exactly right. The latest generation with the change to horizontal stripes and date at 6 doesn’t seem to have caught on in a big way. Watches like the Oyster Perpetual and Datejust ended up winning the glamour battle, with the AT feeling a bit corporate and middle of the road. And having polished centre links.

It’s a versatile and well proportioned watch though, particularly now it’s thinner, and I find it wears extremely well, with the 38mm options being better sized than the Rolex options on my wrist. I still have the applied indices 38.5mm AT quartz. In fact, this version is getting hard to find, possibly even becoming rare! I had a look recently and couldn’t see a single one on sale, only the later printed dial versions.

Craftsman
    Having owned four different Omega Seamaster SMP's the one thing that always put me off the aqua terra is the minute hand no lume along the the shaft of the hand?? why?? once seen you cannot unsee it.Incidently i bought my wife the ladies diamond set aqua terra and she loves it;but still not for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I love mine, looks great on the bracelet or leather, I’ve even been known to pop it on a nato, just this morning I put it on a Haveston canvas for something different.
    These are the sweet spot for me. They maintain the date surround which for me balances the dial well and it is before the new cupcake style crown, more fussy and to my eye less attractive case back and I am not that keen on the current horizontal fat then thin style engraving. I own the golf edition of the age above and love it.

https://i.imgur.com/DbEVTP5.jpg
    Last edited by Stuno1; 25th October 2020 at 16:22.

I picked up a 39.5mm AT a couple of weeks ago on SC.. it's a perfect all rounder. The 2500 coaxial gives a fairly slim case profile in this one. The dark blue dial looks black most of the time but it's a great watch for the price used.

Last edited by JohnnyE; 25th October 2020 at 15:45.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Idontgram;5566967]II hardly ever see them pop up for sale. I would assume not many others like it!/QUOTE]

The lack of them for sale may be an indicator of the complete opposite. Perhaps people like them and keep them, so fewer are constantly changing hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by silver centurian View Post
    Having owned four different Omega Seamaster SMP's the one thing that always put me off the aqua terra is the minute hand no lume along the the shaft of the hand?? why?? once seen you cannot unsee it.
    I don’t agree with that at all - one of the characterful features of the AT is the lumed arrow at he end of the minute hand. I like the way this looks in the dark with the lume glowing, with the line indicating the hours and the triangle showing the minutes. Fundamental to the design IMO!

Master
    Nice looking watches but, like so much of the GS offering as well, too thick. No 3 hander has any excuse for being more than 12mm.
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 25th October 2020 at 19:10.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Nice looking watches but, like so much of the GS offering as well, too thick. No 3 hander has any excuse for being more than 12mm.
    The earlier 2500 models aren't thick at all but I think they switched to the 8500 in around 2008, adding a few mm.

Just checked mine there. Case back to the peak of the crystal is 10mm.
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 25th October 2020 at 19:25.

Blog Entries
    Owned this one for a while, always regretted selling it and I think it's the nicest looking Aqua Terra they ever made. I may be biased.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Not sure why the OP says ‘no love for’ because it’s always been a popular model here. Rolex mania has just changed the landscape.

I’d say much more so back in 2012-14ish (from memory) - there was a definite rush for them back then and I remember being disappointed at missing out on one a couple of times on SC - they sold ultra quickly. They were often on SC and often talked about, particularly the white one with blue markers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I don’t agree with that at all - one of the characterful features of the AT is the lumed arrow at he end of the minute hand. I like the way this looks in the dark with the lume glowing, with the line indicating the hours and the triangle showing the minutes. Fundamental to the design IMO!
    As an old man with severe astigmatism who wears high index varifoculs the design is a total deal breaker for me.The hand design of the Railmaster Aqua Terra 2503.52 is the same arrow tip design but has the full lume hand which i find preferable and i can actually see in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Not sure why the OP says ‘no love for’ because it’s always been a popular model here. Rolex mania has just changed the landscape.

I’d say much more so back in 2012-14ish (from memory) - there was a definite rush for them back then and I remember being disappointed at missing out on one a couple of times on SC - they sold ultra quickly. They were often on SC and often talked about, particularly the white one with blue markers.
    Perhaps I’ve not been around the forum long enough. I just never see it coming up in discussions in the months I’ve been here. Conversely, speedmasters, planet oceans, sea master pros, black bays etc dominate the chat in that territory.

Equally, maybe they were a watch of that time and maybe fallen out of favour, I was just curious what others thought.

Interesting point about thickness above too

Master
    I certainly don’t find it too thick mine (purchased in 2013) is 13.2mm thick. For a 41.5mm diameter watch I think that’s more than acceptable. Also the ability to change the hours without hacking the second hand is a great feature.

Love them, had three, hate the lack of adjustment on the bracelet, don’t like them on any other strap, all three flipped once I remembered why I can’t wear them.

Journeyman
    I’ve had 3 variations of the Aqua Terra starting with the 41.5 Opaline Master, 38.5 Opaline Quartz with applied markers and now I’ve got the 38.5 Skyfall.

The watch is superb and is certainly a beach to boardroom watch, you can leave it on the bracelet or mix it up with a variety of straps such as rubber, leather and nato. It will fit any occasion so if you’re looking for that one watch I think this can be the one.

One possibility is if you have a collection then it may not fit in as you would have a specific watch for each occasion e.g. diver, dress chrono etc.

For me I like versatile watches so them Aqua Terra, Datejust are perfect for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the larger tech dial one a few years ago. Not sure why, just didn't bond with it. Found it a little bit bulky and uncomfortable.

Craftsman
    The Sedna gold version holds its own in my collection, absolutely stunning watch

I love the Aquaterra. I have always thought of it as a nice,simple,clean looking watch. I have this all gold version. Quite rare from what I gather........

Blog Entries
    I had the sky fall - lovely watch - very versatile. Long gone though...

I've liked the previous style of Aqua Terra for many years, especially in quartz. However it couldn't compete on a number of levels with the Explorer.

I find the current crop too chunky.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    The earlier 2500 models aren't thick at all but I think they switched to the 8500 in around 2008, adding a few mm.

Just checked mine there. Case back to the peak of the crystal is 10mm.
    Yes, I should have been clearer that I was talking about the latest models.

I think a 38.5mm Sedna gold version of the latest iteration, if it had a height of around 11-12mm, would be a tremendous watch.

Craftsman
    When I first joined the forum there were two watches that got lots of mention, seamaster 2254 and planet ocean.

The planet ocean despite being a current model is not one that gets many mentions these days.

I like the Aqua Terra. I’m relatively new to the forum so don’t remember the days when the watch was ‘hot property’ but it’s always been in my list of nice to haves. In fact, I came close to buying a new one a couple of years ago, the white dial/grey rubber strap, new 8500(?) movement. I ended up going the Rolex way instead and to be honest, since I’ve been a member here, I’ve realised that if I was to buy an AT, it would be an older model as they look even nicer.

So, I don’t think it’s an unloved watch at all. Just a little bit more under the radar than the more in your face, big R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    A wonderfully versatile watch that straddles dress/sports/luxury/formal/casual better than any watch. Can be dressed up and down as needed.

Not sure on the new version with the horizontal teak but I have not gone to the bother of handling one.
    I think they peaked for the sky fall version. I let mine go recently but wouldn’t be against getting another. Have a soft spot for the grey and while versions.

Below is stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post

I did really like mine, it was even the watch I wore on my wedding day. But ultimately it succumbed to the great Grand Seiko watch cull of 2018.

The one pictured was mine, this being the 41mm version. It was a great looking watch, but as time went on I wish I bought the smaller model.

It was a brilliantly versatile watch. Good on a bracelet and gator.

The initial killer was this Seiko. The sdgm001, which apart from the movement was as good, if not better a watch. It ultimately led to a GS.

This thread nearly accidentally cost me £3k for an overpriced AT on eBay!!

Went to bed late last night and couldn't sleep. Lifted the phone... started browsing eBay.

Woke this morning to unlock my screen and there's an AT in the last page of checkout. One tap to confirm the purchase!!! Must've fell asleep and had my finger on the screen!!! Close call. My Paypal is linked up so that would have billed straight through to my current account.

Note to self: do NOT use eBay when half asleep!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    This thread nearly accidentally cost me £3k for an overpriced AT on eBay!!

Went to bed late last night and couldn't sleep. Lifted the phone... started browsing eBay.

Woke this morning to unlock my screen and there's an AT in the last page of checkout. One tap to confirm the purchase!!! Must've fell asleep and had my finger on the screen!!! Close call. My Paypal is linked up so that would have billed straight through to my current account.

Note to self: do NOT use eBay when half asleep!
    Haha. I have done that too! Could have been worse if you had been browsing patek nautilus!

Journeyman
    i love them - so understated and not flashy at all

So, we can conclude that, by and large, the forum still loves the Aqua Terra. We just don't talk about it excessively. Proper order.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyWheels View Post
    So, we can conclude that, by and large, the forum still loves the Aqua Terra. We just don't talk about it excessively. Proper order.
    Long live the Aquaterra! A nice affordable compromise against a datejust or daydate.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyWheels View Post
    Fair enough. As the OP, I think I should probably declare the case closed. Thanks all.

now back to looking for an aqua terra...

One of my all-time favorite is the Aqua Terra Seamaster - same case different dial, slightly modified movement to get rid of the date. As you mentioned it has a Explorer-style dial, which to me is cleanly executed and has a lovely symmetry to it. This is actually the only no date watch I have other than the BB58 which I flipped after 2 months...

Attachment 18454

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by jsong6688; 28th October 2020 at 09:39.

I had one for about 5 years and loved it, I much prefer the older versions with the date surround around the original skyfall time. I had a grey dial and it was a great watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I’d be interested to hear some views on some musings...

When I first got into the hobby a few years ago, the AT was very much a watch I looked up to and hoped to acquire. To me, it’s extremely versatile, dresses up or down, has a modern movement and comes from a respected manufacturer. It is, in my view Omega’s answer to the Explorer 1, a perennial forum favourite, though I’ve never got onboard with the explorer’s lumed 3,6,9 dial, and Rolex price and availability issues also come into the discussion when that comparison starts.

Thing is, the aqua terra seems to be very rarely spoken about and I hardly ever see them pop up for sale. I would assume not many others like it and I wonder why:

Does its aim to be a watch for all occasions mean it’s fundamentally not really one for any, essentially let down by its versatility? Is it that it gets walked over by similar watches above and below its price point?

All views welcome!
    So cards on the table, I wouldn’t buy one - it just isn’t my taste for the moment. But I see it as a great watch. The build quality is excellent, the movement is strong, it’s a handsome watch, the price is ok and can be gotten down, the manufacturer is well thought of... the ingredients are all there. I think where it may suffer is that the marque’s forte is two other strong watches - the SMP and the Speedy and perhaps many customers going in for an Omega want the icons and not something less readily identifiable?

I always thought of it as more a contender to the Date-Just than the Explorer, but perhaps it is for both. The availability and price alone mean it should shift, but Omega are not daft, that model has been around a long time and it hasn’t changed much in that time. Perhaps it does better than we perceive?