closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex St James Visit

Blog Entries
    The forum doesn't focus on anything. The members decide what to focus on, and it seems a lot want that to be Rolex. Which seems to annoy some members who perhaps like less popular brands.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 26th October 2020 at 20:34. Reason: duh
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by W17GEN View Post
    Nice lounge in which to enjoy your shafting. Much prefer BP in Switzerland.
    And so he continues where he left off. How long before the next breakdown?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    The forum doesn't focus on anything. The members decide what to focus on, and it seems a lot want that to be Rolex. Which seems to annoy some members who perhaps like less popular brands.
    As far as I'm aware there are dedicated Rolex forums where the 'chosen ones' can share photos of wrist shots in AD's far and wide, band together to discuss Rolex waiting lists and how boo-hoo awful it is not to have the stickers left on, where the hardened aficionado can buy a service coffin or try to blag a bezel protector for the Submariner that never leaves their safe.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    As far as I'm aware there are dedicated Rolex forums where the 'chosen ones' can share photos of wrist shots in AD's far and wide, band together to discuss Rolex waiting lists and how boo-hoo awful it is not to have the stickers left on, where the hardened aficionado can buy a service coffin or try to blag a bezel protector for the Submariner that never leaves their safe.

and 'wrist-rolls'............. obligatory.

Blog Entries

As far as I’m aware TZ is open to all makes. Unless you know otherwise of course.

As far as I’m aware TZ is open to all makes. Unless you know otherwise of course.
    Absolutely, and as far as I'm aware all opinions are permitted, oh and congrats on the Submarinerwhatever .

Some of that focus may be negative. Some of it may be positive. That’s kind of how a forum works isn’t it? I can only speak for myself but I don’t find it annoying, just a bit repetitive tbh. It does seem there are an equal number of ‘brand critics’ and ‘brand defenders’ at play - and I’m sure the same happens across any number of fora.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Aesthetically it's gone from gentlemen's club to airport lounge!
    Couldn’t have put that better myself. It’s definitely a cross between executive airport hotel & airport lounge

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    and 'wrist-rolls'............. obligatory.
    What is a wrist roll?

https://youtu.be/RvLbxvwZ1eg

This - kinda cheesy.

Seems to me that the Rolex fans are an overly sensitive bunch who can’t accept any criticism of their beloved brand or any of the watches they produce. Thankfully Rolex have their full attention, I’m not sure they’d cope if they were fans of Bremont, CWrd, Tag etc when they’d have to put up with real criticism, usually from Rolex fan boys!

This is a forum for watches of all types, and I don’t mind negative opinions of my watches, so long as they can be justified. Rolex fans don’t do themselves any favours though, the standard response to anyone posting something negative about the brand is that they’re just a jealous wannabe that can’t afford to play the game and have no horological knowledge. Simply not true, some people just do not buy into the hype, some people don’t like the designs, some people like their watches to be more individual, and some people have been there, done it and moved on to makers that give them more joy. It doesn’t mean that they’re not allowed to have an opinion. It just seems sometimes like the biggest Rolex fans are almost offended that everyone else doesn’t share their opinion.

This thread kind of shows it. A few photos of a reception area that looks exactly like any of hundreds of other reception areas in London and, because a few people didn’t post saying how it was the best reception area they’ve ever seen, and because someone dared to post a joke picture, the fan boys are up in arms.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Seems to me that the Rolex fans are an overly sensitive bunch who can’t accept any criticism of their beloved brand or any of the watches they produce. Thankfully Rolex have their full attention, I’m not sure they’d cope if they were fans of Bremont, CWrd, Tag etc when they’d have to put up with real criticism, usually from Rolex fan boys!

This is a forum for watches of all types, and I don’t mind negative opinions of my watches, so long as they can be justified. Rolex fans don’t do themselves any favours though, the standard response to anyone posting something negative about the brand is that they’re just a jealous wannabe that can’t afford to play the game and have no horological knowledge. Simply not true, some people just do not buy into the hype, some people don’t like the designs, some people like their watches to be more individual, and some people have been there, done it and moved on to makers that give them more joy. It doesn’t mean that they’re not allowed to have an opinion. It just seems sometimes like the biggest Rolex fans are almost offended that everyone else doesn’t share their opinion.

This thread kind of shows it. A few photos of a reception area that looks exactly like any of hundreds of other reception areas in London and, because a few people didn’t post saying how it was the best reception area they’ve ever seen, and because someone dared to post a joke picture, the fan boys are up in arms.
    Actually I think it seems more like people like you are offended that others might like Rolex and have to put forward reasons to justify not liking them.

“some people just do not buy into the hype, some people don’t like the designs, some people like their watches to be more individual, and some people have been there, done it and moved on to makers that give them more joy.”

Well I don’t buy into the hype of many other brands. Like Bremont for example.
    And I do like some of the Rolex designs.
    And yes I’ve been there and done it and moved on to makers that give me more joy. One of which is Rolex.

Christ you'd argue with your own shadow, lighten up for goodness sake.

Blog Entries
    Christ you'd argue with your shadow, lighten up for goodness sake.
    Ha ha. Just watch talk nothing personal.
    The new Sub is great btw, forget all the hype it’s just a great watch.

Ha ha. Just watch talk nothing personal.
    The new Sub is great btw, forget all the hype it’s just a great watch.
    Glad to hear it, life is short and we should take our pleasures where we can.

Actually I think it seems more like people like you are offended that others might like Rolex and have to put forward reasons to justify not liking them.

“some people just do not buy into the hype, some people don’t like the designs, some people like their watches to be more individual, and some people have been there, done it and moved on to makers that give them more joy.”

Well I don’t buy into the hype of many other brands. Like Bremont for example.
    And I do like some of the Rolex designs.
    And yes I’ve been there and done it and moved on to makers that give me more joy. One of which is Rolex.
    Let it be. It was a rather lame post without understanding the history or the context.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 27th October 2020 at 05:48.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The market has changed, not for the better. But, thats what markets do...change. As far as I can see, the best move is to buy the wat h you most enjoy, and then just wear it. Forget all the nonsense about scratches, values, idiotic nicknames. Just enjoy your watch. And don’t worry what others think. It’s not their watch.

I agree, and of all the associated guff it's the puerile nicknames that amuse/nauseate me in equal measure. There was none of it in 1979 when I bought my first Rolex, or in 1984 when I bought the Datejust I still wear. However since joining the forum I've come to appreciate and own other makes as well. If I had unlimited funds I wouldn't buy a modern Rolex, there's much more interesting stuff out there, and that realisation comes from years of reading and education both here and elsewhere.
    F.T.F.A.

Many folk are critical of Rolex saying that it’s all marketing hype etc - however in terms of producing a quality product I will say that in 25 years of passionate watch enthusiasm and collecting I have never once had to take a Rolex back to be fixed/ serviced under warranty..... every single Rolex has proved bombproof mechanically.
    I have purchased a couple of Omega’s in more recent times both of which have been sent back under warranty to be fixed. I have a Rio Olympic Speedmaster going back this week- I bought it in 2017 and it’s already completely packed up working- I’m 100% confident a new Rolex would not break in only 3 years ......some Rolex go decades without even a service.
    Last edited by farmkid; 27th October 2020 at 09:14.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I agree, and of all the associated guff it's the puerile nicknames that amuse/nauseate me in equal measure. There was none of it in 1979 when I bought my first Rolex, or in 1984 when I bought the Datejust I still wear. However since joining the forum I've come to appreciate and own other makes as well. If I had unlimited funds I wouldn't buy a modern Rolex, there's much more interesting stuff out there, and that realisation comes from years of reading and education both here and elsewhere.
    Certainly there is a lot of interesting stuff out there. Not necessarily more for me. I enjoy a vast diversity of watches from Steeldive to Patek. Rolex is a small part of it. There are some aspects of Rolex followers that grate but that doesn’t diminish the pleasure I derive from Rolex watches not does it turn me off the brand. Rolex SD/Sub is the most iconic dive watch design/aesthetic for me but is not the only one. I enjoy Omega and Blancpain and evening some of the Seiko/GS divers. I think the push back from Rolex fans comes from the irritating behaviour of a few of the posters who feel obliged to mock or jeer at anything Rolex and their participation in WT is often limited to their snide comments on Rolex threads almost to the exclusion of everything else. Their is no substantial contribution elsewhere in WT from them. Anybody and everybody is within their rights not to like Rolex or even hate them but the constant need to belittle Rolex is somewhat irritating and also to an extent revealing.

Good to hear you can still just walk in.

Will pop in next time I’m in London

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I enjoy a vast diversity of watches from Steeldive to Patek. Rolex is a small part of it.
    Lucky you; we all remember the ostentatious ‘watch drawer’ photo, but for many, buying *one* Rolex in their lifetime with their honestly and hard earned money would be an enviable dream, and when that becomes a closed club, frustrations ensue. You’d hear none of it if they were freely available.

What I don’t get is the need for Rolex (or other) fanboys to argue the corner for their brand. If you like them all well and good. If others don’t think they’re the greatest does it matter?

Rather like sports fans of course but less understandable for things we own.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What I don’t get is the need for Rolex (or other) fanboys to argue the corner for their brand. If you like them all well and good. If others don’t think they’re the greatest does it matter?

Rather like sports fans of course but less understandable for things we own.
    Again it is not about not liking’ Rolex. It is about some whose focus and primary purpose of participating on WT is crapping on Rolex threads. There are several watches/brands/models I am not a fan of but I don’t go around criticising them every time they are mentioned or making some sad, pathetic, lame snarky comments about those who like or own them.
    Largely silent except for coming out of their hopes when a Rolex thread is on the horizon

Master
    Blog Entries

This - kinda cheesy.
    what new hell is this?

Master

This - kinda cheesy.
    There really are no words, what on Earth is that haha, who wants to watch someones fat hairy arm wave about with a watch on haha

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    what new hell is this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    There really are no words, what on Earth is that haha, who wants to watch someones fat hairy arm wave about with a watch on haha

This is what people post on Rolex groups, to the adulation of all (well - almost all).

They even do it in dealers, while trying on watches. The salespeople must be muttering under their breath.

Master
    Time to get over Rolex being popular I think. It’s a bit like a sport, sometimes one team dominates for a while. When Mercedes and Hamilton win every race you could say it’s a bit predictable but that’s the nature of the game. A while ago it was Omega and IWC and some others who caught the zeitgeist, currently there are some interesting microbrands emerging, while some other brands are becoming super premium. It’s in a constant state of flux. Without doubt though Rolex have become incredibly dominant and won the luxury brand battle, or at least the recognition battle, and there’s no point in fighting it or being surprised or upset when there’s a thread about them. In time something else will happen, and until then if you find something else more interesting then start a thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post

To be fair, I think the average non-watch-person would think the same of a picture of a watch on a fat hairy arm!

Master
    This is what people post on Rolex groups, to the adulation of all (well - almost all).

They even do it in dealers, while trying on watches. The salespeople must be muttering under their breath.
    Made me laugh a little

The chosen ones post outside Rolex forums because they are masochists in search for some righteous reality check.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The chosen ones post outside Rolex forums because they are masochists in search for some righteous reality check.
    Oh man, 30,000 plus posts and you are still stuck in this?:-)

You are right. Being a Rolex fan and posting here does suggest masochistic tendencies but it is fun to take these idiots on.

Journeyman

Interesting....

Hi

Good to know they are open again - I think I will now take up their Operations Managers offer to be shown around the premises, put on hold last time I stopped by to pick up a serviced piece.

L-K

Nice to be able to see the watchmakers working on the watches now in the recently refurbished St James.

Love it.
    Chap posts pics of an ad refurb.
    5 posts later it's a rolex massacre.

Some people just can't scroll on by.

I'm off to slag off some speed master fans.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Some people feel obliged to come and crap on every Rolex thread..
    I’m not keen on Rolex but I started reading this thread and thought what a nice revamp, very tastefully done and the Rolex watches shown were actually quite nice, not desirable for me but still nice. Then I read the negativity further down the thread and agree with your comment.
    That said, there are some Rolex owners who do exactly the same to other brands, one poster in this thread regularly ‘craps’ on another brand without any justification. If people are going to bait a dog then they can expect it to bite

Craftsman
    Great to see pics of the RSC, how long in advance did you have to make an appointment? Got a few things that need looking at that I’ve been putting off

Very nice and also glad to see the place finally refurbished.

Fmf

Quote Originally Posted by Aimforthebushes View Post
    Great to see pics of the RSC, how long in advance did you have to make an appointment? Got a few things that need looking at that I’ve been putting off
    I went last week to get a jubilee like the OP and just walked in. I did go early in the morning and was prepared to wait but I was seen very promptly in the end. May be worth booking though if say you were dropping off for service and wanted to go through all the dos and donts.

It was my first visit and expected some sort of signage. The wife and I ended up doing a lap of the square to make sure we had the right place before braving it through the non-descript door. I bet the person on the front desk had a good laugh at us!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

My wife popped here today, no appointment. Dropped hers off for a service which will be 6 to 8 weeks. £550 for a date just

Blog Entries
    Popped in today also to pick up a jubilee bracelet, no appointment, and was served pretty quickly. If its spares you are going for, bracelets, bezel insert etc it's worth calling ahead to ensure they have stock, otherwise just rock up. For example they told me they only had 8 jubilee bracelets in stock today (7 now) and you wouldn't want a wasted trip. Nice refit.