closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review - Baltic Aquascaphe SB01

Cool Review - Baltic Aquascaphe SB01

I've been wanting a Baltic for the good part of a year now, watched all the other reviews of various models and finally after many other microbrands being bought and then sold after getting bored and wanting something new again, finally got round to buying the SB01 which was released this summer.

Originally I was dead set on the bronze but recenlty have come to realise that bronze would not be for me due to the patina's transfer not only onto skin but clothing as it ages. So as the bronze was out of stock and the SB01 in stock, that's what I got.

I'm glad I did because this thing is not only beautiful and vintage in style, it also feels top quality from the finishing to the packaging presentation.

Here's the full review: https://youtu.be/DpMFtEd2DJ4

Just watched your review and enjoyed it. I've considered a Baltic watch previously and am now looking at their watches again.

I think you made the right choice of the stainless steel bezel. There is a price difference between the stainless bezel model and the Black Cream and the cheaper version is the better looking IMHO. The green tropic is a better match than the crafter blue strap it comes with, I think I'd spend the extra money on that rather than the BoR.

Are you still as enthusiastic about it and given the choice would you buy it again?

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Great review and a lovely looking watch with great dimensions that really works well with the JB tropic.

Craftsman
    I love the look of these watches and keep toying with getting one. I’m even more tempted now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://wornandwound.com/baltic-adds...he-aquascaphe/

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Just watched your review and enjoyed it. I've considered a Baltic watch previously and am now looking at their watches again.

I think you made the right choice of the stainless steel bezel. There is a price difference between the stainless bezel model and the Black Cream and the cheaper version is the better looking IMHO. The green tropic is a better match than the crafter blue strap it comes with, I think I'd spend the extra money on that rather than the BoR.

Are you still as enthusiastic about it and given the choice would you buy it again?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...26dcbb5334.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8f58009089.jpg

I kind of wish I didn't pay extra for the BoR now lol but I guess I can always sell the bracelet if I want to down the line. It is there for the odd time I do wear it I guess.

Is the Baltic Tropic made by Crafter Blue then? I could not find any details on who makes them so assumed Baltic just sourced them somewhere in France. The Joseph Bonnie one is just sublime though, any new watch I get will have a JB Tropic on it that's for sure.

I've been wearing it every day now even around the house where I'd normally have it in the watch box along with the others. The initial new watch novelty has worn off and evolved into an appreciation for how it looks and the details. The Worn&Wound article is bang on the money. It's a vintage design on its own without trying to copy another specific watch and that's the very reason I think I like it so much. As I've had the Marloe Morar with the 9039 movement before, I was a big fan of the unidirectional rotor noise and this is still the case now, a quick flick of the wrist sends the rotor whizzing away and as it's freewheeling I glance down and watch how the light plays off the bezel and dome.

I know many folks complained about the Miyoto 90xx rotor noise but I really like it, to me that's character and re-assurance of a mechanical machine inside there.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Great review and a lovely looking watch with great dimensions that really works well with the JB tropic.
    Thanks! I've only had it on the JB since that strap arrived (a week after getting the watch) and now if I pick up the Baltic strap the difference is more obvious than I initially felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    I love the look of these watches and keep toying with getting one. I’m even more tempted now!
    I can't tell you what to get, but if your mind's set on it for the right reasons, you know what to do!

Interestingly Baltic have said they are exploring anti=magnetic movement features on future models so I am going to keep a keep eye on what they're up to as I do wonder what movement they will go with for that or if it's just an anti-magnetic backplate on the case back or something.
    Last edited by robbiekhan; 25th October 2020 at 19:08.

Sorry OP, I thought this was a Crafter Blue strap but I was mistaken. If I ordered one, I'd definitely order the JB green tropic

Very thorough review, have had my eye on the Baltic for a while, hoping to pick one up at some point.

Journeyman
    Enjoyed your review very much. Congratulations on this great purchase. I am thinking (for a while now) to get one Baltic too...

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Sorry OP, I thought this was a Crafter Blue strap but I was mistaken. If I ordered one, I'd definitely order the JB green tropic

No problem sir!

Just another note on the JB strap on just how soft/pliable it is, here's both ends flexing onto themselves:

Quote Originally Posted by jsong6688 View Post
    Very thorough review, have had my eye on the Baltic for a while, hoping to pick one up at some point.
    Keep an eye around the Xmas/new year period, I imagine like many micros, Baltic will have some sale offers going!

Quote Originally Posted by hondzax View Post
    Enjoyed your review very much. Congratulations on this great purchase. I am thinking (for a while now) to get one Baltic too...
    Which one are you thinking of? For me it was blue gilt and then for a short while the black with vintage lume appealed until the SS bezel came out lol.

Journeyman
    @robbiekhan my most favorite is a blue glit dial with a bezel in a same color tone.

Craftsman
    I got an email yesterday from Baltic and it looks like they have a GMT version coming out soon!

Yep saw the GMT email too. It might have interested me before but as I already have dual time feature on this with the 12hr bezel, I'm not too fussed have to say but am intrigued on how the GMT one looks and exactly what Swiss movement it is using!

Craftsman
    I love the idea of owning a gmt, but in all honesty it is totally irrational for me, as I have absolutely no need to track multiple time zones. I travel very rarely and even when I do I don’t need to know what time it is at home. But yet still I seem to want one, not necessarily this one though.