closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CWC 1987 reissue - strap choices

Craftsman

CWC 1987 reissue - strap choices

DHL tells me that delivery of the s/h 1987 reissue I bought on ebay last week, is delayed by a day.

I bought it to seize an opportunity to try one . Not sure how much I'll take to an all-black watch, but only one way to find out!

So, while I wait an extra day, a question on what straps people are choosing for their black CWC divers.

It'll sound a bit mad to some, but I don't want to turn it into a SBS homage, with a grey phoenix or similar and would like to demilitarise it a bit on a non-mil strap (I have a mild sensitivity to not wanting to look SBS-wannabe, but to have the watch stand on its own merits- those of you who, like me, have looked askew at non-parachute qualified personnel wearing para smocks may understand where I'm coming from on that - I can't help it, I'm
    institutionalised! 😂😊) #sbssaturday etc on Instagram is great to scan through, but everything's very 'issue', so just wondering if others have taken a 'softening' strap route (I do a lot of water sport, so leather is out)
    Thanks!

zulu diver rubber nato?
    They are great for the money. They come in lots of colours as well. I have a bright orange on my Marathon MSAR.

Try canvas. Just decide whether you prefer parallel or tapering as it can change the look on your wrist.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master
    Would a perlon work? I've bought a PRS-4 from SC and I'm planning to put it on a perlon. If that doesn't look right then a single pass nylon of some description.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve been pleased with Haveston straps,one of the canvas straps might be worth a look.

Craftsman
    Thanks all,

I suspect, key will be going for a non-mil colour (?).

Meanwhile, just had a scout about to see what I have tucked away... bit disconcerting 😳😂

Master
    Blog Entries
    the only colour other than black or grey that will work is orange.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    the only colour other than black or grey that will work is orange.
    You think? I'm inclined to doubt that 😊

I think you're on a hiding to nothing trying to demilitarise a PVD-coated CWC SBS

Grey Premium NATO from Watch Obsession works well and doesn't look as NATO as a standard Phoenix:

Otherwise, try a pink perlon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I think you're on a hiding to nothing trying to demilitarise a PVD-coated CWC SBS

Grey Premium NATO from Watch Obsession works well and doesn't look as NATO as a standard Phoenix:

Otherwise, try a pink perlon.
    ��fair point, to an extent... but if you knew many bootnecks, you'd know pink perlon would be well in scope ������

That looks great, by the way... fills me with hope for when mine turns up.

(Sorry -edited that, and my emoticons seem to have disappeared)
    Last edited by Brauner Hund; 7th April 2021 at 20:06.

Craftsman
    Frustrated retail therapy, I know,  but these sort of ideas strike me as possibilities - just hoping someone may have explored this sort of route

[/url]

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Try canvas. Just decide whether you prefer parallel or tapering as it can change the look on your wrist.
    This just popped up on my fb feed... absent, for my purposes, the Union Flag and the printing, the canvas does look good 👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    Its got a pheon and what could be a Union flag uniform shoulder flash.

So its even more military than a plain black strap surely?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Its got a pheon and what could be a Union flag uniform shoulder flash.

So its even more military than a plain black strap surely?
    Agreed- I wrote 'absent' those features :) .. ie without those features, I think the colour and texture looks great :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    got you.

FWIW

I think all black dial CWC suit a Grey Phoenix NATO.

Last edited by bwest76; 8th April 2021 at 13:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    Thanks all,

I suspect, key will be going for a non-mil colour (?).

Meanwhile, just had a scout about to see what I have tucked away... bit disconcerting 
    I am presuming the RA coloured strap are your old regimental colours? if so why not use them?
    I have a three ex servicemen that work for me, all of them wear either a NATO or polo belt in their old colours with pride almost everyday.

Its not overly militaristic unless you know what they mean. It also leads to good bants when one turns up with the latest bit of gucci kit

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I am presuming the RA coloured strap are your old regimental colours? if so why not use them?
    I have a three ex servicemen that work for me, all of them wear either a NATO or polo belt in their old colours with pride almost everyday.

Its not overly militaristic unless you know what they mean. It also leads to good bants when one turns up with the latest bit of gucci kit
    Correct... and I agree, but I'm not sure it 'goes' with the watch 😂

Which has just turned up, by the way:

Rather pleased, I think

Craftsman
    Going to go through what I have on hand.
    On Gunner:

[/url]

Craftsman
    On G10:

Craftsman
    On unused 18mm CWC canvas that I forgot I had... colour looks good, but too thick under this watch
    (if anyone wants to buy/swap for it, drop me a line!):

Last edited by Brauner Hund; 8th April 2021 at 16:35.

Craftsman
    My CWC isn’t an issued piece or an SBS one but I like the black an grey Zulu Diver single pass strap as I can’t get on with all the excess strap on NATO’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CWC 1987 reissue - strap choices

Gunner or Grey for me!

I actually really like the red and blue.
    I wear mine on a tatty old Phoenix.

Believe it or not... your G10 has a fair bit of value itself.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 8th April 2021 at 16:34.

Craftsman
    On yellowdog rubber:

Craftsman
    Gunner or Grey for me!

I actually really like the red and blue.
    I wear mine on a tatty old Phoenix.

Believe it or not... your G10 has a fair bit of value itself.
    😂😊 yup, the Gunner looks better in the pics than I thought...

the G10, it makes me weep, how many of those I've had and thrown out over the years... buckshee... and to see people now collect them!

Master
    This is my PRS-4 on a Eulit perlon. I’ve ordered a PVD buckle from Watch Obsession.

Craftsman
    On French thing:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    This is my PRS-4 on a Eulit perlon. I’ve ordered a PVD buckle from Watch Obsession.

Very nice!

Craftsman
    On monkeyswag 'dirty Bond' :

Craftsman
    On French thing, Bond:

Craftsman
    On Navy blue, French..

Craftsman
    (And for anyone wondering how to fit MN to fixed lugs... just unpick one end... and 2 mins to re-sew. For this watch, had a play with this threading, which makes the watch fantastically snug to the wrist)

Craftsman
    Well, that's all my try-outs done.

Hopefully, of interest or use to someone other than just me!

Not sure I've found the 'softened' look I'm wanting.

Obvs, knackered G10 looks great, but a bit too Poole-groupie for me and the banter abuse I'd get at work.

The Bonds look a little too subdued / 'warry' for what I'm after.

The Gunner (the blue red zigzag) and yellowdog look good.... although the black rubber is, perhaps, rather visually boring?

The blue and the pusser's grip-colour canvas show most promise for the 'softening I want, but neither quite 100% to my eye.

I think the answer will be something that either makes the (fantastic!) lume colour 'pop' ... or matches it in some way.

Grateful for thoughts from anyone still awake ..

The French Blue looks good as well.
    Rather than a bond striped strap I would go full black.

I think the blue was closest, but as you say, still not quite there.

I personally don't like seatbelt NATOs but this might look good on the SBS:

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...32400251093063

Craftsman
    The French Blue looks good as well.
    Rather than a bond striped strap I would go full black.
    Thanks, yup, ordered another French strap in black with pvd hooks.

The blue is awesome, but I ordered navy blue, which has arrived a bit 'royal blue', which, frustratingly, is - unintentionally- another stable belt colour which would be recognised at work, and achieve the opposite of the effect I'm after! 😂😭

Craftsman
    I think the blue was closest, but as you say, still not quite there.

I personally don't like seatbelt NATOs but this might look good on the SBS:

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...32400251093063
    Thanks - I agree, brown of some sort might work

Craftsman
    Just noticed, the 87 is now showing as sold out at
    CWC - blimey!

Craftsman
    (And for anyone wondering how to fit MN to fixed lugs... just unpick one end... and 2 mins to re-sew. For this watch, had a play with this threading, which makes the watch fantastically snug to the wrist)

I don't have any MN straps but might try one on my CWC Divers. Apologies for dumb question - but in that picture did you unpick the left side of the strap (as viewing the picture), fit it to the watch and then restitch it or is there some other convoluted way of fitting to get that result? I like the idea of fitting the strap without any material under the watch head.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I don't have any MN straps but might try one on my CWC Divers. Apologies for dumb question - but in that picture did you unpick the left side of the strap (as viewing the picture), fit it to the watch and then restitch it or is there some other convoluted way of fitting to get that result? I like the idea of fitting the strap without any material under the watch head.
    Exactly your first thought 👍

Rios1931 make a leather strap with a clever clip-on fitting for fixed-lug watches called Arizona. You can buy them here: https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/sea...os1931+arizona

I have a few different colour variants for my CWC 1983. It's not the best leather strap money can buy, but it's decent for what it costs and opens up another option that wouldn't be available at all otherwise. I tend to wear mine on a NATO most of the time, but I can easily swap one of these on whenever I fancy something a bit dressier and can easily switch it back afterwards.

You can also find a wider range of open-ended leather straps, but they need to be glued in place, which means no changing, ever.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Rios1931 make a leather strap with a clever clip-on fitting for fixed-lug watches called Arizona. You can buy them here: https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/sea...os1931+arizona

I have a few different colour variants for my CWC 1983. It's not the best leather strap money can buy, but it's decent for what it costs and opens up another option that wouldn't be available at all otherwise. I tend to wear mine on a NATO most of the time, but I can easily swap one of these on whenever I fancy something a bit dressier and can easily switch it back afterwards.

You can also find a wider range of open-ended leather straps, but they need to be glued in place, which means no changing, ever.
    Thanks. 👍😊
    (Any chance of a couple of pics on the 83? )

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post

I like them and use one on my CWC.

To the OP, it's probably not what you're looking for but I have a WatchObsession NATO in Khaki surplus to requirements.

I wear my NATO straps with all the buckles and excess strap under the wrist but this one has a really rough 'tag' on the safety strap, which rubbed my wrist to the point of being painful. Worn in the standard fashion the tag is covered by the long strap so it's not a problem.

Anyway, it was only worn for about two hours before I gave up so if you want it PM your address.

It's this one:

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...iant=336524117

Craftsman
    To the OP, it's probably not what you're looking for but I have a WatchObsession NATO in Khaki surplus to requirements.

I wear my NATO straps with all the buckles and excess strap under the wrist but this one has a really rough 'tag' on the safety strap, which rubbed my wrist to the point of being painful. Worn in the standard fashion the tag is covered by the long strap so it's not a problem.

Anyway, it was only worn for about two hours before I gave up so if you want it PM your address.

It's this one:

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...iant=336524117
    Wow, that's really kind! But, before I take you up on it, try taking a nail file or emery board to the sharp bit, and just file the sharpness off - you might find it totally cures it for you👍

Wow, that's really kind! But, before I take you up on it, try taking a nail file or emery board to the sharp bit, and just file the sharpness off - you might find it totally cures it for you
    I tried that and no joy. The stub is just a little bit longer than normal NATOs, which seems to be the problem. I bought a WatchGeko version instead and that's fine.

I could probably return it but thought about this thread seeing as I bought it for the same watch

I think the G10 strap looks the best on your ‘87 but SteveO has what he calls the SBS pull through. If you email him, he might be able to provide it without the Union Jack patch:
    https://www.steveostraps.com/straps-2/nato-straps

Journeyman
    Have you tried vintage issued straps?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    I think the G10 strap looks the best on your ‘87 but SteveO has what he calls the SBS pull through. If you email him, he might be able to provide it without the Union Jack patch:
    Thanks!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
    Have you tried vintage issued straps?
    I think there's one in one of my pics - but my intent was to move away from 'issue' and 'soften' the watch a little 👍😊

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    I'm looking for another strap for my CWC Divers and am considering a canvas one from Havestons but in the mean time I contacted stevos straps as I also like the look of the single pass canvas that he does. He confirmed that he can delete the Union Jack and the printed military should you desire.