closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 49 of 49

Thread: Thoughts on the best 2k - 3k watches.

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96

    Thoughts on the best 2k - 3k watches.

    I appreciate this topic may have been covered but with things changing all the time, new watches being launched and others fluctuating in price up and down I thought Iíd ask the question.

    Basically I have my current watch which was bought as a long term keeper. With the possibility of an extension the justification to keep this Watch is wavering. Iím debating selling my current watch and splitting the costs between something else for 2/3k and the rest with go to help with the impending bills.

    Ideally Iíd like something that will hold the bulk of its value but donít mind if this is new or used.

    Things that crop up initially for me are:

    Tudor black bays or Pelagos
    Omega Seamaster

    Or something similar.

    Again I know this is open to all sorts of suggestions / preferences and personal opinions but thought Iíd ask.

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Master aldfort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    9,137
    I've just bought a Blackbay. It's a nice watch. I have no idea how well it might hold its value.
    Pre owned Omega seem to do ok on holding their price. I think you'd take a hit if bought new.
    There are a lot of really nice watches in the up to £2000 price range. I really like some of the current Oris range for example.

  3. #3
    There was a month omega sea master on SC must be the job you need?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    I've just bought a Blackbay. It's a nice watch. I have no idea how well it might hold its value.
    Pre owned Omega seem to do ok on holding their price. I think you'd take a hit if bought new.
    There are a lot of really nice watches in the up to £2000 price range. I really like some of the current Oris range for example.
    At the moment the Blackbay Blue has certainly got my attention. Iím open to any brand really, being a bit of a watch novice Iím sure theyíll be something Iíve not even seen/ considered.

  5. #5
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    There was a month omega sea master on SC must be the job you need?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think I clocked that which is why it went on the list of possibilities. Thanks for the heads up.

  6. #6
    The white dialled seamaster on Sc a week or 2 ago?
    Beautiful watch
    Or:
    Sinn arktis /103 diapal
    Sinn 903 (half price Navitimer)
    Used Panerai 000/111/112/104

  7. #7
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Czech
    Posts
    79
    Tudor BlackBay 58 would be definitely a good choice and it could holds up its value. Also Omega Speedmaster Professional (aka Moon Watch) seems to me as a good option.

  8. #8
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    The white dialled seamaster on Sc a week or 2 ago?
    Beautiful watch
    Or:
    Sinn arktis /103 diapal
    Sinn 903 (half price Navitimer)
    Used Panerai 000/111/112/104
    Googleís on overdrive as we speak, Iíll have a look at each of those thanks

  9. #9
    Omega 2254.50 job done.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by hondzax View Post
    Tudor BlackBay 58 would be definitely a good choice and it could holds up its value. Also Omega Speedmaster Professional (aka Moon Watch) seems to me as a good option.
    I saw a 58 in blue on sales corner and it certainly got my attention. Tudor seems to have a really good range and from what I’ve read the quality seems up there.
    Last edited by Walts; 23rd October 2020 at 21:13.

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    2,223
    As an Omega fan I’d say buy used and look at the following
    22.54.50
    Omega Great white
    Omega speedmaster day date panda
    All 3 watches are travelling northwards value wise and are tough wear anywhere watches
    If Omega isn’t your bag maybe enjoy the depreciation on a Breitling





    Last edited by Mark lowman; 23rd October 2020 at 21:16.

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    338
    How about a nice breitling superocean heritage nice watch for that money


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    As an Omega fan Iíd say buy used and look at the following
    22.54.50
    Omega Great white
    Omega speedmaster day date panda
    All 3 watches are travelling northwards value wise and are tough wear anywhere watches
    If Omega isnít your bag maybe enjoy the depreciation on a Breitling
    Think you, Glyn696486 and others could be onto something with the Seamaster.

  14. #14
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    north uk
    Posts
    104
    The black seamaster is a lovely watch, my mate has one, looks fantastic. the other 2 Omegas are a bit flash

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,757
    Blog Entries
    1
    2-3k is a great price bracket but also means mahoosive choice.

    Personally Iíd be looking used at:

    Sinn 103
    Speedmaster Pro
    Seamaster 300m
    Zenith Captain
    IWC Aquatimer
    Black bay
    Fastrider ceramic

  16. #16
    Journeyman Idontgram's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    232
    IWC MkXVI for me. Depends on what youíre looking for...

  17. #17
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    4,646
    Sorry OP, but I am not into the "I have a budget and I want to keep the value" method of watch selecting.
    Aesthetically, the Tudor BB and Omega SM series are totally different. So different that you really must have a preference between them. Personally, I cannot stand the Seamaster, those skelly-hands are just awful to me but I know many that think the Snowflake hands on BBs equally execrable.
    And, as has been pointed out, there are many other choices in the £2-3k bracket that might fit.
    If you buy relatively recent watches in the used market, most will hold their value, so your preferences and choices are much more relevant.
    You've selected 2 of the more obvious ones, but give us a bit more. Breitlings any good? Tag heuer a no-no? Rado Captain Cooks can look great. Sinn. Guinand. Fortis. etc etc

    Dave

  18. #18
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    2-3k is a great price bracket but also means mahoosive choice.

    Personally Iíd be looking used at:

    Sinn 103
    Speedmaster Pro
    Seamaster 300m
    Zenith Captain
    IWC Aquatimer
    Black bay
    Fastrider ceramic
    Iím thinking the Seamaster on a rubber strap ticks a lot of boxes at the min and it seems to be a firm favourite on here. I know itís not the be all and end all but hopefully that indicates a good demand should I ever want or need to move things on in the future without too much financially penalty.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,187
    I think I'd try and stretch to a good s/h Zenith El Primero. It would have done most of its depreciation straight after purchase and hopefully bottomed out at nearer £3k, and is an awful lot of horological bang per buck.

  20. #20
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Sorry OP, but I am not into the "I have a budget and I want to keep the value" method of watch selecting.
    Aesthetically, the Tudor BB and Omega SM series are totally different. So different that you really must have a preference between them. Personally, I cannot stand the Seamaster, those skelly-hands are just awful to me but I know many that think the Snowflake hands on BBs equally execrable.
    And, as has been pointed out, there are many other choices in the £2-3k bracket that might fit.
    If you buy relatively recent watches in the used market, most will hold their value, so your preferences and choices are much more relevant.
    You've selected 2 of the more obvious ones, but give us a bit more. Breitlings any good? Tag heuer a no-no? Rado Captain Cooks can look great. Sinn. Guinand. Fortis. etc etc

    Dave
    I see your points raised but with a level head I personally need to made an overall decision that ticks all the boxes, looks, quality and price. If it wasnít for budgets etc I wouldnít be considering selling my current watch as I do t think Iíll be able to justify getting another one at that price point, certainly not anytime soon.

    I wonít list the current watch as I donít want this to appear to be a stealth sales post.

    Breitlings have always seemed a little fussy to me but understand thereís a large selection that I might not have considered but non that seem to be a firm favourite with whatís been recommended.

    Iíve previously had a Tag and although wouldnít rule one out again I do think these can be a bit love or hate, again that shows with the recommendations.

  21. #21
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I think I'd try and stretch to a good s/h Zenith El Primero. It would have done most of its depreciation straight after purchase and hopefully bottomed out at nearer £3k, and is an awful lot of horological bang per buck.
    Thatís a very good call and something Iíd not looked at before. Thanks for the input

  22. #22
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    407
    There was a similar thread on here a few weeks ago with a guy asking about watch choices for his sons 21st. He had same budget as you too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    4,315
    I would pick 2 or 3 watches that you really like and put up a WTB on here, there may be a few undercover dealers but in general if you deal with an established member and check out their H&V you should get a nice watch at a fair price.

    I have a 2254.50 Seamaster, after owning it for a few years I have to say I would hold it in the same league as far more valuable watches, it's also super legible and accurate, has date, can be worn with a suit or T shirt and jeans, easy to service compared to the co-axial based watches and is the most comfortable watch on a bracelet I own.

    Yes they are increasing in value as they have been out of production for a long time but nothing like the Rolex gains, even so it will also come in well under your budget and probably start with a 1..


  24. #24
    Master vRSG60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Barrowford - Lancashire
    Posts
    2,841
    Put you name down for a Harrods Black Bay.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Master Alansmithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burscough, UK
    Posts
    8,169
    Sinn U50 - It's got it's own unique love it or hate it look where as a lot of the watches suggested here are just endless variations on a theme down to people having to write down model numbers to tell the difference between them.

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    sometimes Suomi.........
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    2
    An, Omega Seamaster or Tudor Black Black Sports watch category or an Nomos.

    Enjoy your choice.
    M

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,064
    I think the Op was right first time with either one of the Black Bays or a Seamaster.

  28. #28
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Put you name down for a Harrods Black Bay.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If this was an addition to what I’ve got I’d be all over this. My thoughts are that this could be a bit hit and miss with what it goes with clothing wise..... I know a proper first world problem but I just think the blue or black could be that bit more universal.
    Last edited by Walts; 24th October 2020 at 11:38.

  29. #29
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96
    Thanks for the input......

    Itís looking like a trip out to Hull to see if the Seamaster sits and fits right and go from there.

    Have a good weekend folks.

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Walts View Post
    If this was an addition to what Iíve got Iíd be all over this. My thoughts are that this could be a bit hit and miss with what it goes with clothing wise..... I know a proper third world problem but I just think the blue or black could be that bit more universal.
    I think you mean first world problem. Folk in the third world would more likely be agonising over how to feed themselves or access necessities like medical care or clean drinking water than what watch to buy.

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    3,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Sinn U50 - It's got it's own unique love it or hate it look where as a lot of the watches suggested here are just endless variations on a theme down to people having to write down model numbers to tell the difference between them.
    I get this and I'm seriously tempted by the U50. Problem is that Sinn prices are creeping up and they are dangerously close to a BB58 or a cannily sourced Seamaster 300m. I can't help feeling that the later two are much more special and in a different league in terms of value for money.

  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I would pick 2 or 3 watches that you really like and put up a WTB on here, there may be a few undercover dealers but in general if you deal with an established member and check out their H&V you should get a nice watch at a fair price.

    I have a 2254.50 Seamaster, after owning it for a few years I have to say I would hold it in the same league as far more valuable watches, it's also super legible and accurate, has date, can be worn with a suit or T shirt and jeans, easy to service compared to the co-axial based watches and is the most comfortable watch on a bracelet I own.

    Yes they are increasing in value as they have been out of production for a long time but nothing like the Rolex gains, even so it will also come in well under your budget and probably start with a 1..

    I have more valuable watches, but the 2254 (on rubber) rarely leaves my wrist.

  33. #33
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I think you mean first world problem. Folk in the third world would more likely be agonising over how to feed themselves or access necessities like medical care or clean drinking water than what watch to buy.
    Thanks for the patronising response rather than a quick PM highlighting a slip of the tongue post thatís now edited.

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Walts View Post
    Thanks for the patronising response rather than a quick PM highlighting a slip of the tongue post thatís now edited.
    Youíre welcome.

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    swansea uk
    Posts
    1,443
    Had a Black Bay i bought without seeing in person. Hated the flat crystal with zero AR. Glared like a £80 invicta.

    Lovely bracelet and case though.

  36. #36
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Fleet
    Posts
    20
    I have quite a few watches but in that price range youíd be hard pushed to better an iconic Speedmaster Moonwatch. It would obviously be used but they are stunning on the wrist.

  37. #37
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Fleet
    Posts
    20
    Forgot to mention in my previous reply but there are some great offerings from Tudor. The Black Bay is an obvious choice but i also have a P01 which has really divided opinion and is pretty cool.

  38. #38
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    208
    What is your current watch - is that a diver, dress watch etc. Do you want your a similar replacement?

    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    sometimes Suomi.........
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    2
    If it were me.....
    An early blue Bond Trit dial Bond full size B&Pís now! The are insanely cheap,cool and wis worthy.
    P.S. frayed egg dials will be sought.
    M

  40. #40
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    8,953
    Price brackets aside, choose the one that makes you smile.

  41. #41
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    north uk
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I would pick 2 or 3 watches that you really like and put up a WTB on here, there may be a few undercover dealers but in general if you deal with an established member and check out their H&V you should get a nice watch at a fair price.

    I have a 2254.50 Seamaster, after owning it for a few years I have to say I would hold it in the same league as far more valuable watches, it's also super legible and accurate, has date, can be worn with a suit or T shirt and jeans, easy to service compared to the co-axial based watches and is the most comfortable watch on a bracelet I own.

    Yes they are increasing in value as they have been out of production for a long time but nothing like the Rolex gains, even so it will also come in well under your budget and probably start with a 1..

    Really lovely, amother post refers to the skeleton hands on the Seamaster, I hate them, another reason to love this version. Only thing that stops me buying one is the fact that a friend has one!

  42. #42
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Price brackets aside, choose the one that makes you smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post
    What is your current watch - is that a diver, dress watch etc. Do you want your a similar replacement?

    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    The watch that Iím thinking of selling is a higher end smart casual watch. Iíd say itís more of a dress watch although it does work well with smart casual which is another reason why itís hard to let go. Money no object Iíd love to try a Rolex Yacht Master, the Rose gold and black dial with the rubber strap but thatís a whole other topic I guess.

    Iíve had both divers, dress watches and often found with a smart watch as it helps with work and fitness tracking.

    Wednesday looks like a good day for dragging the Mrs out to the shops, funny it didnít take me much convincing so think she has her own plans.

    Iíll keep the thread updated with some options or outcomes.

  43. #43
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    120
    I'm in a similar position, so this is an interesting thread for me. Appreciate for some veterans it may not be so compelling, but the snark relating to your typo was fully uncalled for. Anyway, I'm wavering between a BB black bezel (normal size, find the 58 a bit too small for me), a white Seamaster (currently trying not to PM the guy selling one on SC) & a black Planet Ocean. I think the one I really want is the PO, but they're way more expensive & I've not seen one on SC for ages.

    Outliers include: Sinn U50, Brietling Navitimer (again, expensive), and some kind of Panerai (I get confused with these though).

    Keen to hear how you get on.

  44. #44
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,690
    At a smidge under £2k I'd be looking at that new Hanhart 417ES. Also Guinand Starfighter radium.

  45. #45
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    St helens
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Jari37 View Post
    I'm in a similar position, so this is an interesting thread for me. Appreciate for some veterans it may not be so compelling, but the snark relating to your typo was fully uncalled for. Anyway, I'm wavering between a BB black bezel (normal size, find the 58 a bit too small for me), a white Seamaster (currently trying not to PM the guy selling one on SC) & a black Planet Ocean. I think the one I really want is the PO, but they're way more expensive & I've not seen one on SC for ages.

    Outliers include: Sinn U50, Brietling Navitimer (again, expensive), and some kind of Panerai (I get confused with these though).

    Keen to hear how you get on.
    How much is the White one on SC? Is it on a bracelet? I am 5 posts off viewing I believe

  46. #46
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Jari37 View Post
    I'm in a similar position, so this is an interesting thread for me. Appreciate for some veterans it may not be so compelling, but the snark relating to your typo was fully uncalled for. Anyway, I'm wavering between a BB black bezel (normal size, find the 58 a bit too small for me), a white Seamaster (currently trying not to PM the guy selling one on SC) & a black Planet Ocean. I think the one I really want is the PO, but they're way more expensive & I've not seen one on SC for ages.

    Outliers include: Sinn U50, Brietling Navitimer (again, expensive), and some kind of Panerai (I get confused with these though).

    Keen to hear how you get on.
    So much choice and I know itís all down to personal preference but I find myself leaning towards Tudor at the moment. With any luck and Iíll get to try a few on Wednesday and get few pictures of the contenders. Happy hunting buddy

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    At a smidge under £2k I'd be looking at that new Hanhart 417ES. Also Guinand Starfighter radium.
    Just had a look at this, itís very nice and something Iíd never considered. Thanks for the heads up

  47. #47
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    St helens
    Posts
    72
    How much is white one on SC?

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Saints2014 View Post
    How much is white one on SC?
    £3k I think. White on rubber only.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information