closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on the best 2k - 3k watches.

Craftsman

Thoughts on the best 2k - 3k watches.

I appreciate this topic may have been covered but with things changing all the time, new watches being launched and others fluctuating in price up and down I thought I’d ask the question.

Basically I have my current watch which was bought as a long term keeper. With the possibility of an extension the justification to keep this Watch is wavering. I’m debating selling my current watch and splitting the costs between something else for 2/3k and the rest with go to help with the impending bills.

Ideally I’d like something that will hold the bulk of its value but don’t mind if this is new or used.

Things that crop up initially for me are:

Tudor black bays or Pelagos
    Omega Seamaster

Or something similar.

Again I know this is open to all sorts of suggestions / preferences and personal opinions but thought I’d ask.

Thanks in advance

I've just bought a Blackbay. It's a nice watch. I have no idea how well it might hold its value.
    Pre owned Omega seem to do ok on holding their price. I think you'd take a hit if bought new.
    There are a lot of really nice watches in the up to £2000 price range. I really like some of the current Oris range for example.

There was a month omega sea master on SC must be the job you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    I've just bought a Blackbay. It's a nice watch. I have no idea how well it might hold its value.
    Pre owned Omega seem to do ok on holding their price. I think you'd take a hit if bought new.
    There are a lot of really nice watches in the up to £2000 price range. I really like some of the current Oris range for example.
    At the moment the Blackbay Blue has certainly got my attention. I’m open to any brand really, being a bit of a watch novice I’m sure they’ll be something I’ve not even seen/ considered.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    There was a month omega sea master on SC must be the job you need?

Think I clocked that which is why it went on the list of possibilities. Thanks for the heads up.

The white dialled seamaster on Sc a week or 2 ago?
    Beautiful watch
    Or:
    Sinn arktis /103 diapal
    Sinn 903 (half price Navitimer)
    Used Panerai 000/111/112/104

Journeyman
    Tudor BlackBay 58 would be definitely a good choice and it could holds up its value. Also Omega Speedmaster Professional (aka Moon Watch) seems to me as a good option.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    The white dialled seamaster on Sc a week or 2 ago?
    Beautiful watch
    Or:
    Sinn arktis /103 diapal
    Sinn 903 (half price Navitimer)
    Used Panerai 000/111/112/104
    Google’s on overdrive as we speak, I’ll have a look at each of those thanks

Omega 2254.50 job done.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hondzax View Post
    Tudor BlackBay 58 would be definitely a good choice and it could holds up its value. Also Omega Speedmaster Professional (aka Moon Watch) seems to me as a good option.
    I saw a 58 in blue on sales corner and it certainly got my attention. Tudor seems to have a really good range and from what I’ve read the quality seems up there.
    Last edited by Walts; 23rd October 2020 at 21:13.

Master
    As an Omega fan I’d say buy used and look at the following
    Omega Great white
    Omega speedmaster day date panda
    All 3 watches are travelling northwards value wise and are tough wear anywhere watches
    If Omega isn’t your bag maybe enjoy the depreciation on a Breitling

Last edited by Mark lowman; 23rd October 2020 at 21:16.

Craftsman
    How about a nice breitling superocean heritage nice watch for that money

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    As an Omega fan I’d say buy used and look at the following
    Omega Great white
    Omega speedmaster day date panda
    All 3 watches are travelling northwards value wise and are tough wear anywhere watches
    If Omega isn’t your bag maybe enjoy the depreciation on a Breitling
    Think you, Glyn696486 and others could be onto something with the Seamaster.

The black seamaster is a lovely watch, my mate has one, looks fantastic. the other 2 Omegas are a bit flash

Master
    Blog Entries
    2-3k is a great price bracket but also means mahoosive choice.

Personally I’d be looking used at:

Sinn 103
    Speedmaster Pro
    Seamaster 300m
    Zenith Captain
    IWC Aquatimer
    Black bay
    Fastrider ceramic

IWC MkXVI for me. Depends on what you’re looking for...

Sorry OP, but I am not into the "I have a budget and I want to keep the value" method of watch selecting.
    Aesthetically, the Tudor BB and Omega SM series are totally different. So different that you really must have a preference between them. Personally, I cannot stand the Seamaster, those skelly-hands are just awful to me but I know many that think the Snowflake hands on BBs equally execrable.
    And, as has been pointed out, there are many other choices in the £2-3k bracket that might fit.
    If you buy relatively recent watches in the used market, most will hold their value, so your preferences and choices are much more relevant.
    You've selected 2 of the more obvious ones, but give us a bit more. Breitlings any good? Tag heuer a no-no? Rado Captain Cooks can look great. Sinn. Guinand. Fortis. etc etc

Dave

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    2-3k is a great price bracket but also means mahoosive choice.

Personally I’d be looking used at:

Sinn 103
    Speedmaster Pro
    Seamaster 300m
    Zenith Captain
    IWC Aquatimer
    Black bay
    Fastrider ceramic
    I’m thinking the Seamaster on a rubber strap ticks a lot of boxes at the min and it seems to be a firm favourite on here. I know it’s not the be all and end all but hopefully that indicates a good demand should I ever want or need to move things on in the future without too much financially penalty.

Master
    I think I'd try and stretch to a good s/h Zenith El Primero. It would have done most of its depreciation straight after purchase and hopefully bottomed out at nearer £3k, and is an awful lot of horological bang per buck.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Sorry OP, but I am not into the "I have a budget and I want to keep the value" method of watch selecting.
    Aesthetically, the Tudor BB and Omega SM series are totally different. So different that you really must have a preference between them. Personally, I cannot stand the Seamaster, those skelly-hands are just awful to me but I know many that think the Snowflake hands on BBs equally execrable.
    And, as has been pointed out, there are many other choices in the £2-3k bracket that might fit.
    If you buy relatively recent watches in the used market, most will hold their value, so your preferences and choices are much more relevant.
    You've selected 2 of the more obvious ones, but give us a bit more. Breitlings any good? Tag heuer a no-no? Rado Captain Cooks can look great. Sinn. Guinand. Fortis. etc etc

Dave
    I see your points raised but with a level head I personally need to made an overall decision that ticks all the boxes, looks, quality and price. If it wasn’t for budgets etc I wouldn’t be considering selling my current watch as I do t think I’ll be able to justify getting another one at that price point, certainly not anytime soon.

I won’t list the current watch as I don’t want this to appear to be a stealth sales post.

Breitlings have always seemed a little fussy to me but understand there’s a large selection that I might not have considered but non that seem to be a firm favourite with what’s been recommended.

I’ve previously had a Tag and although wouldn’t rule one out again I do think these can be a bit love or hate, again that shows with the recommendations.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I think I'd try and stretch to a good s/h Zenith El Primero. It would have done most of its depreciation straight after purchase and hopefully bottomed out at nearer £3k, and is an awful lot of horological bang per buck.
    That’s a very good call and something I’d not looked at before. Thanks for the input

There was a similar thread on here a few weeks ago with a guy asking about watch choices for his sons 21st. He had same budget as you too.

I would pick 2 or 3 watches that you really like and put up a WTB on here, there may be a few undercover dealers but in general if you deal with an established member and check out their H&V you should get a nice watch at a fair price.

I have a 2254.50 Seamaster, after owning it for a few years I have to say I would hold it in the same league as far more valuable watches, it's also super legible and accurate, has date, can be worn with a suit or T shirt and jeans, easy to service compared to the co-axial based watches and is the most comfortable watch on a bracelet I own.

Yes they are increasing in value as they have been out of production for a long time but nothing like the Rolex gains, even so it will also come in well under your budget and probably start with a 1..

Put you name down for a Harrods Black Bay.

Sinn U50 - It's got it's own unique love it or hate it look where as a lot of the watches suggested here are just endless variations on a theme down to people having to write down model numbers to tell the difference between them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    An, Omega Seamaster or Tudor Black Black Sports watch category or an Nomos.

Enjoy your choice.
    M

Master
    I think the Op was right first time with either one of the Black Bays or a Seamaster.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Put you name down for a Harrods Black Bay.

If this was an addition to what I’ve got I’d be all over this. My thoughts are that this could be a bit hit and miss with what it goes with clothing wise..... I know a proper first world problem but I just think the blue or black could be that bit more universal.
    Last edited by Walts; 24th October 2020 at 11:38.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the input......

It’s looking like a trip out to Hull to see if the Seamaster sits and fits right and go from there.

Have a good weekend folks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walts View Post
    If this was an addition to what I’ve got I’d be all over this. My thoughts are that this could be a bit hit and miss with what it goes with clothing wise..... I know a proper third world problem but I just think the blue or black could be that bit more universal.
    I think you mean first world problem. Folk in the third world would more likely be agonising over how to feed themselves or access necessities like medical care or clean drinking water than what watch to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Sinn U50 - It's got it's own unique love it or hate it look where as a lot of the watches suggested here are just endless variations on a theme down to people having to write down model numbers to tell the difference between them.
    I get this and I'm seriously tempted by the U50. Problem is that Sinn prices are creeping up and they are dangerously close to a BB58 or a cannily sourced Seamaster 300m. I can't help feeling that the later two are much more special and in a different league in terms of value for money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I would pick 2 or 3 watches that you really like and put up a WTB on here, there may be a few undercover dealers but in general if you deal with an established member and check out their H&V you should get a nice watch at a fair price.

I have a 2254.50 Seamaster, after owning it for a few years I have to say I would hold it in the same league as far more valuable watches, it's also super legible and accurate, has date, can be worn with a suit or T shirt and jeans, easy to service compared to the co-axial based watches and is the most comfortable watch on a bracelet I own.

Yes they are increasing in value as they have been out of production for a long time but nothing like the Rolex gains, even so it will also come in well under your budget and probably start with a 1..

I have more valuable watches, but the 2254 (on rubber) rarely leaves my wrist.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I think you mean first world problem. Folk in the third world would more likely be agonising over how to feed themselves or access necessities like medical care or clean drinking water than what watch to buy.
    Thanks for the patronising response rather than a quick PM highlighting a slip of the tongue post that’s now edited.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walts View Post
    Thanks for the patronising response rather than a quick PM highlighting a slip of the tongue post that’s now edited.
    You’re welcome.

Had a Black Bay i bought without seeing in person. Hated the flat crystal with zero AR. Glared like a £80 invicta.

Lovely bracelet and case though.

Craftsman
    I have quite a few watches but in that price range you’d be hard pushed to better an iconic Speedmaster Moonwatch. It would obviously be used but they are stunning on the wrist.

Craftsman
    Forgot to mention in my previous reply but there are some great offerings from Tudor. The Black Bay is an obvious choice but i also have a P01 which has really divided opinion and is pretty cool.

Craftsman
    What is your current watch - is that a diver, dress watch etc. Do you want your a similar replacement?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it were me.....
    An early blue Bond Trit dial Bond full size B&P’s now! The are insanely cheap,cool and wis worthy.
    P.S. frayed egg dials will be sought.
    M

Price brackets aside, choose the one that makes you smile.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

Really lovely, amother post refers to the skeleton hands on the Seamaster, I hate them, another reason to love this version. Only thing that stops me buying one is the fact that a friend has one!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Price brackets aside, choose the one that makes you smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post
    What is your current watch - is that a diver, dress watch etc. Do you want your a similar replacement?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    The watch that I’m thinking of selling is a higher end smart casual watch. I’d say it’s more of a dress watch although it does work well with smart casual which is another reason why it’s hard to let go. Money no object I’d love to try a Rolex Yacht Master, the Rose gold and black dial with the rubber strap but that’s a whole other topic I guess.

I’ve had both divers, dress watches and often found with a smart watch as it helps with work and fitness tracking.

Wednesday looks like a good day for dragging the Mrs out to the shops, funny it didn’t take me much convincing so think she has her own plans.

I’ll keep the thread updated with some options or outcomes.

Craftsman
    I'm in a similar position, so this is an interesting thread for me. Appreciate for some veterans it may not be so compelling, but the snark relating to your typo was fully uncalled for. Anyway, I'm wavering between a BB black bezel (normal size, find the 58 a bit too small for me), a white Seamaster (currently trying not to PM the guy selling one on SC) & a black Planet Ocean. I think the one I really want is the PO, but they're way more expensive & I've not seen one on SC for ages.

Outliers include: Sinn U50, Brietling Navitimer (again, expensive), and some kind of Panerai (I get confused with these though).

Keen to hear how you get on.

At a smidge under £2k I'd be looking at that new Hanhart 417ES. Also Guinand Starfighter radium.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jari37 View Post
    I'm in a similar position, so this is an interesting thread for me. Appreciate for some veterans it may not be so compelling, but the snark relating to your typo was fully uncalled for. Anyway, I'm wavering between a BB black bezel (normal size, find the 58 a bit too small for me), a white Seamaster (currently trying not to PM the guy selling one on SC) & a black Planet Ocean. I think the one I really want is the PO, but they're way more expensive & I've not seen one on SC for ages.

Outliers include: Sinn U50, Brietling Navitimer (again, expensive), and some kind of Panerai (I get confused with these though).

How much is the White one on SC? Is it on a bracelet? I am 5 posts off viewing I believe

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jari37 View Post

So much choice and I know it’s all down to personal preference but I find myself leaning towards Tudor at the moment. With any luck and I’ll get to try a few on Wednesday and get few pictures of the contenders. Happy hunting buddy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    At a smidge under £2k I'd be looking at that new Hanhart 417ES. Also Guinand Starfighter radium.
    Just had a look at this, it’s very nice and something I’d never considered. Thanks for the heads up

Journeyman
    How much is white one on SC?

Quote Originally Posted by Saints2014 View Post
    How much is white one on SC?
    £3k I think. White on rubber only.