closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: End of BST

End of BST

Happy end of BST this Sunday. Remember to change all those watches and clocks and microwaves and cookers and car clocks.

In what could be the grimmest winter for decades, let's do our best to enjoy the forum, our watches and all those we hold dear.

See you on the other side!

Blog Entries
    Take care all - though most appliances in the house are internet connected and stand-alone clocks are linked to radio time-signals (and don't drive now much so car clocks are a non-issue)

I'm going (back) to sunshine Portugal at the earliest opportunity - had enough of the weather and incessant blinkered news topics - but will keep in touch with TZ. Just need to decide which watch to take, but not too difficult a choice though! The 4500v went with me last time, probably the 126655 will travel this time.

Christmas is cancelled - bhah humbug.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 23rd October 2020 at 11:13.

And find the manuals to put summertime off on the satellite and radio controlled watches.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Take care all - though most appliances in the house are internet connected and stand-alone clocks are linked to radio time-signals (and don't drive now much so car clocks are a non-issue)

I'm going (back) to sunshine Portugal at the earliest opportunity - had enough of the weather and incessant blinkered news topics - but will keep in touch with TZ. Just need to decide which watch to take, but not too difficult a choice though! The 4500v went with me last time, probably the 126655 will travel this time.

Christmas is cancelled - bhah humbug.
    Radio controlled clocks? Luxury!

I have 8 non atomic G-Shocks, the car, the microwave, one clock, the cooker and whatever mechanical I'm wearing to set. Actually as it's a GP Weekend - Portugal as it happens, that'll be the Explorer, phew.

Enjoy the sun.

My wife just spent ages figuring out how to finally correct the clock in the car. I didn't have the heart to remind her the clocks change back this weekend :D

In a rare occurrence of doing stuff ahead of time, I changed all my quartz watches last week! In truth, it was still procrastination, it seemed more important to do that than things I actually needed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    In a rare occurrence of doing stuff ahead of time, I changed all my quartz watches last week! In truth, it was still procrastination, it seemed more important to do that than things I actually needed to do.
    You are not alone.

I've posted this before, but a friend of mine's father, kept this sheet to show which of the many clocks and devices he had to change. He'd do it on the Thursday before, which drove his wife (and everyone else) mad.

Master
    The only clock I make the effort to manually change is the boiler timer, watches done as I rotate wear and the car displays are too small to see without reading glasses on, which I don’t wear for driving, and they’re right 6 months of the year anyway, 50% is a pass mark.

Back in the day when car clocks were knob-twisted I managed fine to change the time, even with the advent of H and M buttons I coped ok but with the deep-in-the-menu requirement of our current cars it's a case of CBA for me.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I wish! Maybe I'm too poor, or too mean spirited to buy new stuff, but none of my appliances are internet connected! The only thing that will change itself is a radio controlled clock!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Back in the day when car clocks were knob-twisted I managed fine to change the time, even with the advent of H and M buttons I coped ok but with the deep-in-the-menu requirement of our current cars it's a case of CBA for me.

R
    OK going OT here, but this reminds me when I had two motorbikes of the same model, but one was brand new, and one was around 14 years old. To set the time on the new one, you had to press the Menu button, press the scroll down keys to get to the Time Setting option, then press Menu again, then scroll through the hours displayed to select the right hour, press Menu a couple more times, then scroll back up to the 'Return' option, then press Menu again.

On the old one, I had to press the 'Hr' button once.

I think this demonstrates how technology and the user interface to it has progressed over the last 20 years.......

Changing all the watches takes about 10 minutes, the clocks probably a bit less, oven and microwave a minute each, and thankfully the car (Audi) and heating (Tado running an oil-fired boiler) deal with themselves. I hate the dark late afternoons and evenings - roll on 28 March 2021.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    OK going OT here, but this reminds me when I had two motorbikes of the same model, but one was brand new, and one was around 14 years old. To set the time on the new one, you had to press the Menu button, press the scroll down keys to get to the Time Setting option, then press Menu again, then scroll through the hours displayed to select the right hour, press Menu a couple more times, then scroll back up to the 'Return' option, then press Menu again.

On the old one, I had to press the 'Hr' button once.

I think this demonstrates how technology and the user interface to it has progressed over the last 20 years.......
    I remember a letter to the papers a while ago in which an old gent was exasperated to find that the user manual for his new tv was longer than the one he'd kept from when he learned to fly a Vickers Wellington in WW2 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I remember a letter to the papers a while ago in which an old gent was exasperated to find that the user manual for his new tv was longer than the one he'd kept from when he learned to fly a Vickers Wellington in WW2 ...
    Excellent, and all too believable.

Master
    I wont change the time on the watch - just as easy to change the watch on Sunday 😂

Thanks for the reminder, D.

I was hoping to be abroad now, somewhere where WiFi and phone reception are awful with a bit of luck.

That idea's been quashed.

So I will be here. It does feel as though we have to take one collective deep breath and hope for Spring...

Sorry - I could have added this on here instead

BBC News article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-54387428

Windsor Castle: Changing hundreds of royal clocks
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 24th October 2020 at 09:14.

Master
    Sadly I am working tonight so my 12.25 hour shift becomes 13.25. It is a bit of a pain having to maintain logs and journals, with no two people agreeing about when the time actually changes. I tend to opt for 02:00 back to 01:00.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Sadly I am working tonight so my 12.25 hour shift becomes 13.25. It is a bit of a pain having to maintain logs and journals, with no two people agreeing about when the time actually changes. I tend to opt for 02:00 back to 01:00.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Correct. UK time changes at 01:00 GMT on the last Sunday of March (+1 forward) and October (-1 back).

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    True, especially the oven!