closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hanhart 417 ES - a Lesson in re-issues

New Hanhart 417 ES - a Lesson in re-issues

I just wanted to say Bravo to Hanhart, whose new release today, the 417 ES, looks fantastic.
    Not last week's bronze one, today's SS one.
    Handwound, 100m WR, with Superluminova, it is a pleasant surprise that, as a re-issue of an issued classic from the original brand, it is under €1800.
    And it looks epic.
    Chapeau Hanhart.
    Wish I had the readies to just get one.
    Dave

Just had a quick look - I agree it's very well done and reasonably priced. Can't really find a fault with it!

Master
    Just ordered one. Good timing on my part. Sold off three watches this week as I tend to wear the same watch for weeks or months at a time so I can justify one in. I just wish it was 40mm or even less. But it’s not a deal breaker. Manual wind, non-date chrono with not much text on the dial. It ticks a lot of boxes for me. Free delivery too. I love their packaging too, a simple leather watch roll. Just need to wait 14-21 days until it arrives.

Master
    For info.

Really nice that...

Journeyman
    I had a chance to (briefly) get my hands on it. Really love it. I made some shots also. Here is the first one - a wrist shot (17,5 mm wrist)

Thanks for spotting that, Dave, really does look superb. I am a big fan of reissues and the execution and pricing of this should certainly teach other brands a lesson - 10 X the price for a Blancpain Air Command or over 4 X the price for one of the Breitlings?

Only thing holding me back is that I used to own an original but this re-issue looks like a steal. Apparently Hanhart used my one for some of their publicity, in particular a video of it taken by Al Gibbons of ATG Vintage Watches.

Regards

Jon.

I was all excited and then … 42mm.

Looks superb, just out of my size comfort zone.

Craftsman
    I'm really, really tempted to buy this. I was sorely tempted by the bronze one, too, but just really wanted a stainless one... At which point a 1940 replika popped up on eBay, so I bought that! But then I really like the 417 so... Which 2 to have! I'm now thinking to keep the monopusher and buy the 417...

Very nice!
    Bronze one arriving any minute but this looks to be right up there on the buy list too!

Got the email this morning. I think the only thing stopping me is the size, as I’d prefer 40mm... well, that and the fact that I’d be looking to move something in the other direction and I’m not really wanting to do that right now.

I have to say it’s lovely, though.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    Which 2 to have! I'm now thinking to keep the monopusher and buy the 417...

This would be also my choice.

Master
    Yes, very nice.
    Does anybody know the lug to lug size and can you remove that bund thing behind the case and just wear it with the strap?

Stop the temptation - move away from the keyboard!

My resolve is weakening every time I see some nice new watches, but I’m trying to be strong - I’ve managed not to buy a watch so far this year, and I might just manage it - maybe :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Yes, very nice.
    Does anybody know the lug to lug size and can you remove that bund thing behind the case and just wear it with the strap?
    21mm.

Regards

Jon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StampeSV4 View Post
    21mm.

Regards

Jon.
    Thanks Jon, but that must be the lug width

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Just ordered one. Good timing on my part. Sold off three watches this week as I tend to wear the same watch for weeks or months at a time so I can justify one in. I just wish it was 40mm or even less. But it’s not a deal breaker. Manual wind, non-date chrono with not much text on the dial. It ticks a lot of boxes for me. Free delivery too. I love their packaging too, a simple leather watch roll. Just need to wait 14-21 days until it arrives.

Agree that 40mm or below and this would have been absolutely perfect!

Still lovely but would have to try in person to see how it wears at 42mm.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Agree that 40mm or below and this would have been absolutely perfect!

Still lovely but would have to try in person to see how it wears at 42mm.
    Check my photo above. My wrist is 17,5 cm and even though I would prefer 40 mm over anything larger, I have to say, that fit was really good.

Journeyman
    Yes, very nice.
    Yes, that leather thing below the watch is removable and it can be worn than just on a strap.

Master
    Yes, very nice.
    49.75mm according to the page on the website.

Been a fan for a while...
    this one just landed and has replaced my Sinn Dark Star
    I was waiting for the stainless one direct from Hanhart but wanted to grab one of the 150 Bronze examples while I could. So far, very impressed and will also add a stainless ES at some point soon.
    will try and photograph with an original for comparison soon..

kind of reminds me of my 18kt Tutima Fliegerchronograph I owned a few years back.

Journeyman
    @GOAT congratulations! Can't wait to see your photos.

Journeyman
    Yes, very nice.
    you can buy it with a normal strap on their site if you don't like the bund

Yes, the base of the bund can come off after the clasp is taken off, the strap width is 21mm
    heres mine next to the original, that is, a 60's era 417ES "Mcqueen" this shows the difference in diameter

this shot shows the side view of comparative case thicknesses

and finally for the McQueen fans, my new brnze 417, an original 417ES, A Heuer Monaco cal 11 and a Benrus 1061 "Bullitt"

apologies for the iphone pics....
    Last edited by GOAT; 23rd October 2020 at 16:44.

New Hanhart 417 ES - a Lesson in re-issues

Yes that looks very nice. The style, font and hands look very much like a Hanhart made Vixa Type 20 French airforce watch that I once owned.

I’m on my third Hanhart, started with a 1939 Replika, then the Vixa which I should have kept and now a 1940s Hanhart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting - why chrono reset button is not red?

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Interesting - why chrono reset button is not red?
    The new one or 1940s?

I was informed on MWR by the recognised Hanhart expert that none produced in WW2 had a red pusher. Any that have, had the red added later on.

That does look really nice. Is this limited edition or regular production?

This looks great. It’s the first new watch I have been interested in for a while.
    The bronze looks great as well. I would imagine after some wear it would take on a similar patina to the base metal originals.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    That does look really nice. Is this limited edition or regular production?
    Steel version is a regular production.
    Bronze version (Revolution collaboration) is a limited edition. I think 150 pcs only.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    This looks great. It’s the first new watch I have been interested in for a while.
    The bronze looks great as well. I would imagine after some wear it would take on a similar patina to the base metal originals.
    Hmm, not sure about that. The plated base metal originals wore through their outer plate to a more golden metal, but that never seemes to get to a patinated brown or green. Plated watches that wore through to the base metal never took on that type of colour, apart from a few that suffered from extraordinarily aggressive acidic sweat, which generrallt pitted very deeply (the base metal was more susceptible to the asid than the plate, and they generally went bright green.
    I think the Hanhart line that it was meant to imitate the brassing of the plate wear is total BS, they just wanted to make the SS the production model, so had to make the LE out of something else, so had to "justify" the difference.
    Still both epic watches, but there is a bit of PR BS there, there's no doubt about that. The LE Brone is paired with the ability to buy a Belstaff waxed jacket at discount, which is hilarous, as McQueen wore a barbour waxed jacket, never a Belstaff. Especially for the ISDT, the source for most of the photos wearing a Hanhart.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Hmm, not sure about that. The plated base metal originals wore through their outer plate to a more golden metal, but that never seemes to get to a patinated brown or green. Plated watches that wore through to the base metal never took on that type of colour, apart from a few that suffered from extraordinarily aggressive acidic sweat, which generrallt pitted very deeply (the base metal was more susceptible to the asid than the plate, and they generally went bright green.
    I think the Hanhart line that it was meant to imitate the brassing of the plate wear is total BS, they just wanted to make the SS the production model, so had to make the LE out of something else, so had to "justify" the difference...
    To be honest I had not heard that this was a line they had put forward.
    It was just an observation on my part.
    The fact that they push a jacket with the Watch seems a bit daft to me.
    The McQueen thing does nothing for me (although he was a great actor in some quality films). Celeb endorsement (alive or dead) is a bit of a turn off, I just really like the vintage look of the watch. I have always had a soft spot for Hanharts anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    The new one or 1940s?

I was informed on MWR by the recognised Hanhart expert that none produced in WW2 had a red pusher. Any that have, had the red added later on.

Oh, I see. I read some story about lipstick or nail polish on a soldier watch and assumed that some WWII thing and as such expected on their reissue

I think the Hanhart line that it was meant to imitate the brassing of the plate wear is total BS, they just wanted to make the SS the production model, so had to make the LE out of something else, so had to "justify" the difference.
    Still both epic watches, but there is a bit of PR BS there, there's no doubt about that. The LE Brone is paired with the ability to buy a Belstaff waxed jacket at discount, which is hilarous, as McQueen wore a barbour waxed jacket, never a Belstaff. Especially for the ISDT, the source for most of the photos wearing a Hanhart.
    Dave
    Yes, there were two different original versions, the 417 plated base metal version and the stainless steel cased 417ES. If you recall, Dave, I had the 417 ES and Alistair Gibbons had the base 417.

Regards

Jon.

Very nice this but agree with others that 40mm would have been the perfect size

They did do sort of a good job. Is it a wind up or a automatic ? The Automatic ones ruin it for me. And does it have fly back like the original ?

My original

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    They did do sort of a good job. Is it a wind up or a automatic ? The Automatic ones ruin it for me. And does it have fly back like the original ?

My original
    Manual wind. No fly back function.

Over 49mm lug to lug and over 13mm thickness. That's a chunky watch especially being 1950s honed, a time where wristwatches were considerably smaller.

Personally not for me, aesthetically pleasing, but needlessly chunky.

Master
    Dave
    Dave, I agree with your comment about the McQueen jacket being a Barbour for the ISDT race and this is well documented and easily researchable. I have to say I am disgusted by revolution not travelling that and instead muddying their words around that.
    However, there have been reports that he was using belstaff as well in his private life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Like that they decided to use their old logo even on a buckle.

I keep coming back to this thread. This may be my first purchase of 2020.

Where’s the best place to buy - direct from Hanhart?

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post

The UK AD Stewarts is sold out. Hanhart will sell direct but delivery is likely around Xmas

Thanks Ryan, really helpful. I don’t mind the wait, just keen to secure one.

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post

You could try http://pilotswatches.co.uk/ (Their website's somewhat messy!)

Phone number is 0121 427 4740.

No connection etc..
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Since I ordered this one I’ve bought back my old Pioneer Dual Timer from Lammylee. When the 417 arrives I’ll have two Hanhart chronos in a three watch collection. If two Hanharts prove to be one too many, then I’ll probably put the 417 on SC for what I paid (£1640).

Master
    It just arrived. I’ll post some of my customary awful pictures as soon as I can.

Journeyman
    One more from my Instagram account:
    417 ES and Mk1

Journeyman
    Not seen these before, they're lovely. I do prefer the lugs on the 417, shame it's 42mm. Would love to see it side by side with and SKX007 to see how it compares size wise. I don't usually like 42mm but the SKX wears small and I can get away with it.

How is the bronze Rake Hanhart looking now?

I wondered if anyone has a pic of how the bronze on The Rake x Hanhart version is patinating?

I'm after a Hanhart 417 and can't quite decide whether to hunt for vintage, a Rake bronze version or the new stainless one from Hanhart and seeing how the bronze one is developing in looks will help the process!

This is now my new biking watch...