closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How quickly has an “always wanted” taken to lose its place?

How quickly has an “always wanted” taken to lose its place?

Have quite recently got a watch I was on the list for a long while and was really happy to get the call, initially Great.

After wearing just once in the house, other than the initial try on day, it feels just a bit flash for me. I am gutted as it was a grail watch for me and although I like the watch I just don’t think I will wear it.

Anyone else had the same?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It has happened 3 times for me over the last 4 years, 1 Rolex, 1 Breitling and 1 Fortis, all within the space of 48 hours.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The time it takes to walk out of the shop to the car.

You ignore these thoughts as they seem ridiculous. Then by the time you're home, they're stronger.

And by next morning they have turned to active dislike.

Happened to me at least once, Omega F300 Cone. Wanted one for literally years but when I finally bought one I didn't really gell with it which took some time to accept.

Oddly I still quite fancy giving another one a try at some point but doubt I ever will as it would be some way down the list now and good ones are fewer and further between.

Can be tricky when you like older unusual stuff as often times you never get to see one in the metal leave alone try on the wrist, so it's always a case of scouring the internet which hardly ever really helps.

Yep, several times, but recently it happened with one of Eddie's. I had been after a first generation PRS-29B with the higher dome for a number of years. It always looks superb in photos etc. I found one for sale in the US via watchuseek and bought it, it wasn't cheap either. Put it on and I have to say it was one of the most boring watches I have ever worn. Every time I looked at it it did absolutely nothing for me at all.

The only plus side was that it is a rare watch these days and an easy sell. Listed it on here and e-bay, not a sniff here so obviously not that rare. It ended up with an appreciative buyer in Germany via the bay.

Funnily enough, I’ve been building up to buying a watch I’ve been lusting after for a couple of years and in the last 48 hours, I’ve sort lost enthusiasm for it.

I blame Covid. My lifestyle’s changed and I’m not sure I want the same things anymore

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Funnily enough, I’ve been building up to buying a watch I’ve been lusting after for a couple of years and in the last 48 hours, I’ve sort lost enthusiasm for it.

I blame Covid. My lifestyle’s changed and I’m not sure I want the same things anymore
    I too blame Covid for a few seismic shift in choices. Since the inital lockdown Ive had one curry and found it bland, stopped watching premier league football on the box and attended a few lower league matches and finally given up my quest for a Breitling Navitimer. Do I "really" need another expensive watch. I barely wear the ones I have now. I actually contemplating having a sale and ................here is the shocking part.....................not reinvesting another watch.

Covid has a lot to answer for.

Quote Originally Posted by Watching brief View Post
    I too blame Covid for a few seismic shift in choices.

Since the inital lockdown Ive had one curry and found it bland...
    Maybe you’ve already had it

Blog Entries
    Anyone else had the same?
    Yes.

Master
    The first watch I really ‘always wanted’ I guess was a Tag Heuer Carrera about 20 years ago. My mate also really wanted it and we jokingly argued who would get it if there was only 1 in Tourneau Caesars Palace on a stag do in 2002. There was and we both decided against it after trying it on.

He did eventually go on to buy one, but on that day they had a picture of a Daytona in the window and after the sale person telling me it was unobtainable unless I had a ‘personal in-store spend of $100,000 a year’ that became my focus!

11 years and maybe 100 different AD’s around the world later with ZERO in-store spend at any of them, a random call to an AD in Somerset about a hulk that was in stock, yielded one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    The first watch I really ‘always wanted’ I guess was a Tag Heuer Carrera about 20 years ago. My mate also really wanted it and we jokingly argued who would get it if there was only 1 in Tourneau Caesars Palace on a stag do in 2002. There was and we both decided against it after trying it on.

He did eventually go on to buy one, but on that day they had a picture of a Daytona in the window and after the sale person telling me it was unobtainable unless I had a ‘personal in-store spend of $100,000 a year’ that became my focus!

11 years and maybe 100 different AD’s around the world later with ZERO in-store spend at any of them, a random call to an AD in Somerset about a hulk that was in stock, yielded one.
    A long wait for a Tag Heuer Carrera!

Seiko Alpinist SARB017. Bought one from Velorum a few years ago after having listed after one for ages. It arrived and I instantly hated it. Too thick, dial underwhelming, it found a new owner the very next day.

It is great to not be alone in this one, it is a BLNR and I wanted the old and jubilee. Loved the jubilee and it is just that but too flash for me. Really do want to love it.

Covid has had its impact on watch collecting for me too.

Last edited by TonyAFC8; 23rd October 2020 at 12:01.

Master
    The ‘a bit flash’ comment is interesting, it depends on what you’ve bought really. I find brand new watches do tend to look a bit flash, they are too clean and new and need wearing in. I’ve only bought a couple of new watches, and I like them more with each passing year. A very gentle patina of wear and perhaps a little dirt has calmed them down a bit. However you could be referring to the design, if it’s a yellow gold day-date with diamonds then it may remain a bit flash in future!

Craftsman
    Yep, a couple actually! First was a Steinhart OVM mark 1, which aren't all that common. Was disappointed with the fit and finish, the hands in particular were not very attractive. Second being a B dial Stowa, I just love busy watches but really, really struggled with it.

I've had three:

• Seiko Tuna - SBBN015 - always looked fantastic in photos and on other people's' wrists. Saved hard, imported it on the bracelet from Seyia. Nah. On my wrist it looked like a "monstrous carbuncle." The fact that the seconds hand was off, missing the markers, didn't help. And yet I'm still tempted!?
    • CWC quartz divers - another one which always looks great on anyone else. I got it and was immediately bored by it. Sold it, bought another one. Sold that. WTH???
    • Eddie's PRS-20 - this was more a psychological thing. It seemed too elegant for me to cope with. It was a beautifully made watch but I just couldn't make myself think it looked "right" on me.
    Last edited by dkpw; 12th November 2020 at 19:44.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    Yep, a couple actually! First was a Steinhart OVM mark 1, which aren't all that common. Was disappointed with the fit and finish, the hands in particular were not very attractive.
    I had the exact same happen to me with the OVM1. It arrived, I opened the box and went urgh! It was sold the same day. The proportions were all wrong to my eyes as well.

The desiring, hunting, the longing, the quest for a certain grail is often much more enjoyable than the actual ownership IMO.

Me too.

5 years wanting a panomaticlunar, got one and then sent it back after a week!

Having been through 200+ watches I now know I enjoy the chase more than the ownership. I get obsessed about obtaining the latest object of desire on my list, spend ages tracking down the right one, condition, price etc then end up flipping it a month later.
    All my grails have come and gone, F P journes, AP's, Mosers etc. Nothing wrong with any of them just the buzz fades......

Happened to me not too long ago with a Zenith Defy 21. Still think it's a stunning watch, but just wasn't right for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    It has happened 3 times for me over the last 4 years, 1 Rolex, 1 Breitling and 1 Fortis, all within the space of 48 hours.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Yikes, talk about having a bad weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    The desiring, hunting, the longing, the quest for a certain grail is often much more enjoyable than the actual ownership IMO.
    So very true sadly.

10 years plus and kept for 3 months - Rolex Daytona.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    There is definitely something in the point made earlier about new watches looking too, er, new. Most watches look better with some miles on them. I also think, like a great deal of marketing, it’s easy to fall for watches that are photographed well but that in the flesh, in a non photoshopped natural light environment, are a just boring. For me, it’s CWC divers. I love the monnin case shape but I just get bored of them. I’ve owned eight and flipped the lot. Such a waste of time and money.

Master
    This is why trying on is so important and this watch game is a learning experience about what you do and don’t like. I was sure I liked the Pelagos and tried it on then after 6 months or so decided it was a one trick pony and with only a small collection it just didn’t work for me. Hey ho.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Speedmaster....

I waited so long. Thought that matching it to the right kind of strap would work.

It didn't.

Never been tempted to buy another.
    Snap - I’ve owned a plexi version, sapphire sandwich and a special (?) edition -can’t remember which one. None lasted more than a couple of weeks

Journeyman
    I have, unfortunately, the very same experience. And while reading through this thread I am glad I was not alone with this.
    However I also experienced the oposite feeling. And it happened with my Sinn watch. It was more or less an impulse buy (maybe also because I wanted to try a Sinn but was lusting for completely different model) and I didn't give to the relationship to much future. Right after a purchase I had a very mixed feeling. However within one day, it turned in to a big (and as it looks like long lasting) love :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    ...just the buzz fades......
    When it’s faded on the Schofield on the pink strap, let me know

Craftsman
    I hankered after a Tudor Blackbay for months and months. I loved the look of it in pictures and videos online, same with the real thing in shop windows. When it finally came to me walking into a shop ready to make a purchase, I tried one on and immediately went off it. Didn't suit me and I didn't like the shape of the case. So I guess you could say that it took literally seconds for me to go off it, before money had even exchanged hands.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by W17GEN View Post
    Indeed, few years ago I secured a BLNR on Xmas eve, sold before New Year. Too brash for my taste then, and still is.
    Have kept mine since august and feel the same way, think it will be out of the collection soon.

I lusted after a SubC date for many years. Finally got a brand new one in 2016. I spent the weekend wearing it then decided it wasn't for me (bland bezel and bland/huge clasp, slightly out of line bezel markers).

I will say that Covid has actually boosted my interest in watches and since lockdown I have had two reasonably significant incomings taking my core collection to 4.

Craftsman
    I am actively trying to wean myself onto a Longines Legend Diver. I liked it when it came out (originally the no date but missed that boat). I considered it again more recently but went for a Tudor Ranger. Then came a handful more other watches and I still kept eyeing up the Legend. When I got it finally from here, it was a bit of a let down.

I do think it is a bit down to covid and priorities though. This watch is the equivalent of a couple of months or so of paying off the campervan I ordered when foreign holidays seemed off the menu. My priorities have changed and I would rather spend money on experiences than trinkets. Hopefully that will change though and they can happily coexist like before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    When it’s faded on the Schofield on the pink strap, let me know
    You have first dibs Howard. Funny how that one has stayed longer than expected. There is just something about it..... supremely coooooool but impossible to photograph!

Master
    For me, the maxi-case Sub; bought one new, tried to convince myself , but every time I looked at it, I disliked it more. Too ‘blocky’, too square, too ugly. It’s taken Rolex ten years to wriggle out of that mistake.
    In the meantime I concentrated on Rolex with better case design, mainly the Seadweller. The new Sub seems better, thank goodness. It’s mainly the lug design.

Craftsman
    Cool watch , what is it ?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Sometimes you know right away.. Sometimes you lose enthusiasm, and it comes back.

Sometimes it doesn't come back, and you should find it a new owner who will enjoy it.

It's okay though, it's all part of the fun. Sometimes I spend years admiring the both the stock photos and the wrist shots.

There's watches I want to like, but are too large or too fancy for my circumstances.

Over time I've come to realise that watches smaller than 40mm suit me best. Had to get a 41mm watch to realise that though!

The true grail is the friends we make along the way.

It amuses me when you see a watch here on SC where the seller says "ordered this xx days ago but even before it gets here I know it's not for me".

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves