closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me a *sensible* scientific calculator

Hybrid View

Recommend me a *sensible* scientific calculator

Right, I'm not a scientific chap. I have managed perfectly well in recent years with the scientific calculator on iOS. However, I have an upcoming exam where I will need a scientific calculator and phones are not permitted.

I have in front of me two Casios: fx85WA and fx83ES. Both are driving me to distraction and I yearn for my venerable, dearly-departed fx115N. I can't see any new equivalent on Amazon etc, but perhaps someone here has a suggestion that would fit the bill?

Required specs:
    • hard keys for: 1/x; M+; MR
    • answers expressed as decimals instead of chuffing fractions
    • a normal, old-school lcd display instead of chuffing pixels

Yes, I'm aware that this is a bit ranty, luddite, and that I'm probably no more than a couple of clicks away from finding out how to operate all the joypads and other toot on the calculators I have to hand. But I don't want to; I just want a proper old school chuffing calculator. Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    I have a Casio fs-85B - sent you a pm. - (not dot-matrix). Fired it up tonight and works fine! (Dual power source)

Looks like this:

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd October 2020 at 22:58.

Certainly close. I do dislike those dot matrix displays though....

Master
    Something like this?

It's 35 years old and still works on its original battery!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Something like this?

It's 35 years old and still works on its original battery!
    I had one of those, excellent calculator. More geared to stats than modern school calculators and useful constants for chemistry/physics. Nowadays they're more geared towards graphing - maybe useful for A' level maths if at all.

Still need 2 keys for reciprocals though!

Before buying a new calculator, its worth checking with the uni or exam board that you are sitting with, what calculators are permitted for the exam.

Most uni exam boards have limited the models that are allowed due to cheating and the rules are very strict.

If it's not one of the listed models then it can't be used (even if its a very basic office model that only adds up, subtracts, divides and multiplies) then it can't be used, and any attempts to use a non approved calculator is instant disqualification

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I had one of those, excellent calculator. More geared to stats than modern school calculators and useful constants for chemistry/physics. Nowadays they're more geared towards graphing - maybe useful for A' level maths if at all.

Still need 2 keys for reciprocals though!
    So for reasons I won't bore you with I decided to take a "gap year" in the middle of my degree at LSE, ended up working for an insurance company, the mundanity of the work being made up for by having some money for lots of partying!

Anyway, when I left the job I decided to go back to LSE and my leaving present was this calculator which I chose due to the amount of stats I had to do...got a 2:1 in the end so all ended well!

I found this when clearing out some stuff a couple of years ago and was amazed to find it still works, so it sits in my desk drawer for basic calculation duties.

TBH, I have no idea what most of the stuff it does means anymore

Good luck OP in finding what you need

There seem to be a plethora of fx115N calcs on eBay. Top one on the list was £8.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    There seem to be a plethora of fx115N calcs on eBay. Top one on the list was £8.
    I'm leaning towards the eBay route, in the apparent absence of any current model meeting the spec.

Martyn - have replied to your kind PM thanks.

I'm running a Casio FX-3600Pv, got to be at least 20 yrs old, still works a treat.

Journeyman
    i remember this from my maths A-level!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I have a Casio fs-85B - sent you a pm. - (not dot-matrix). Fired it up tonight and works fine! (Dual power source)

Looks like this:

Recommend me a *sensible* scientific calculator

What about an old fx-39?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233754416182

Or an fx-451?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164454245466

I don’t need a calculator but I’m tempted myself!

Put “casio scientific” in the eBay search bar and there’s thousands to choose from! And a proper trip down memory lane.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 23rd October 2020 at 09:11.

Craftsman
    I must confess this was not a thread I was expecting to see! But strangely, it has put a smile on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are welcome to have my fx-570c if it works for your needs. Not getting any use anymore here.

Great machine. Delighted you are happy with it but now we need photos
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Great machine. Delighted you are happy with it but now we need photos
    Serious question - can I post a picture direct from an iPhone or iPad? Since photobucket died some years ago, I’ve not tried to post a picture as I don’t care for photo hosting sites...

If you use Tapatalk, yes.
    If not, I use imgur.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I had a Casio programmable calculator in the '80s. I only ever wrote one program for it, to solve linear equations using Gaussian elimination, for the Numerical Methods module on my Computer Science degree. I well remember writing out the code on paper then transferring it to the calculator. Worked first time! A pretty painstaking job because as I recall, the calculator's language used something akin to assembler; definitely not a high level language.

I still have that calculator, but that was the only program I ever wrote for it. Shame really.