closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tag Heuer, do it or not?

Blog Entries

Tag Heuer, do it or not?

So I've had a hankering for a Tag for a while now (years!)

Recently I've been looking at these two. What kind of discounts would you expect on Tag? What is the hive minds opinion on these, and should I just leave it as an itch that never got scratched?

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I might be biased as I have this:

I really like the current and recent Heuer badged watches, they seem to be the more classic, iconic shapes for me. I also prefer the Heuer logo... that may just be snobbery, mind.

The TAG watches are popular, but generally just don't do it for me. (And my first expensive watch was an F1 in 1991...)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I might be biased as I have this:

I really like the current and recent Heuer badged watches, they seem to be the more classic, iconic shapes for me. I also prefer the Heuer logo... that may just be snobbery, mind.

The TAG watches are popular, but generally just don't do it for me. (And my first expensive watch was an F1 in 1991...)
    Must admit the early F1 was always a possibility for me. Like you I prefer the Heuer logo, but I'm a bit worried about taking a bath on the values. Do they hold up at all?

(nice watch btw)

I like the gulf striped one but I'm back into buying watches "just because" so I'm not a reliable person to ask. No idea about discount.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    I like the gulf striped one but I'm back into buying watches "just because" so I'm not a reliable person to ask. No idea about discount.
    I know what you mean about the gulf striped one, but then I keep lusting after one of these to leave in the wardrobe, so worried it might end up the same............(unless I do actually get a GT40 I Gulf colours of course)

Craftsman
    I really like the Carrera, not too convinced on the gulf one but if you like it then that is the main thing.

Again I prefer the Heuer badged ones but probably just because they seem more classic, I think the tag Heuer logo is good too.

Don’t know much about the specs for the price but I think Tag are alright and probably not as bad as they get made out to be.

I had one of the newer F1’s with red dial and black bezel, was a nice watch and I sometimes miss it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Must admit the early F1 was always a possibility for me. Like you I prefer the Heuer logo, but I'm a bit worried about taking a bath on the values. Do they hold up at all?

(nice watch btw)
    Thanks!

Values for the Jack Heuer Carreras, I would think, would remain fairly stable, if you can find a good secondhand example?

Master
    I've had the Gulf Tag on my list for a while. Thought it would make a great holiday watch, but as I didn't go on holiday this year I didn't pull the trigger (not heard that expression for a while). Think I would prefer it on the Tag blue and orange NATO though.

Would also be interested to find out about discounts.

Tags are generally discounted if you ask. I've had a number of Tags over the years and they all have been discounted, latest was the Tag heuer 01 RRP for £4350 and managed to get it discounted to £3800. So had a massive saving right there, also purchased a F1 Indy 500 before Xmas RRP £1400 and managed to get that for £1200. So usually averaging 15%

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Of the 2 I'd go for the top one however the movement is modular and a bit clumsy. The crown isn't aligned with the pushers (it sits lower) and frequently the seconds hand runs fast and slow so it is hard to align correctly to be dead on 12. It is a foible of that movement (Calibre 17) also seen in the Monaco. The watch is gorgeous though so if that doesn't put you off I'd get that.

Have a look at the Chronos with the new 02 movement in it as the 02 movement is superb - on par with anything from Omega and a nice 80 hour power reserve.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 22nd October 2020 at 23:21.

I don't like the Gulf one, but it's going to be your watch...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I also prefer the Heuer logo... that may just be snobbery, mind.
    I know where you’re coming from, but can’t help thinking that the tag part will itself end up within the whole vintage nexus before long. Hard to believe it, but the Williams FW07 is forty years old....

Craftsman
    My own view - the gulf watch won’t age well. It would be the kind of thing I’d buy, love for a year or two and then wonder why I didn’t buy the classic watch. Your mileage may vary if course and your attention span may be longer than mine.

The Carrera will look like a classic for as long as you own it, that’s a great looking design. I’m a watch snob too but the badge wouldn’t bother me either way.

As to values, of course you’re going to take a bath on a new Tag, there’s just no way you won’t in anything other than the long term. If you hang on to it for five to ten years - maybe you’ll get your money back, but if you’re a serial flipper, this is going to lose you money. Go into that with your eyes open.

As to discount, it’s a long time since I bought a Tag, but it used to be the case that they could be heavily discounted. We’re talking Omega levels here, c. 10-30% depending on the wind.

I’d have thought the Gulf would be easier to discount than the Carrera, but don’t be driven by the discount.

You’ll be wearing it, take a cold look as decide which has the longevity.

Both are lovely watches, you’ll do well with either.

https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/timep...1B.FC6479.html

https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/timep...1C.FC6488.html

These are 2 limited editions with the 02 movement in. I have the white dial Montreal version (2nd link). Utterly superb watch. I was unable to obtain a discount however - I have seen the silver dial variant at 10% off though. I feel the fit and finish is a step above the previous versions of the Carreras and seems to be part of a move to a more upscale Tag Heuer brand.

I am really impressed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I know where you’re coming from, but can’t help thinking that the tag part will itself end up within the whole vintage nexus before long. Hard to believe it, but the Williams FW07 is forty years old....

Keke Rosberg won the 1982 World Championship in that car, I believe. It had a reliable Cosworth engine against all the turbos back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Of the 2 I'd go for the top one however the movement is modular and a bit clumsy. The crown isn't aligned with the pushers (it sits lower) and frequently the seconds hand runs fast and slow so it is hard to align correctly to be dead on 12. It is a foible of that movement (Calibre 17) also seen in the Monaco. The watch is gorgeous though so if that doesn't put you off I'd get that.

Have a look at the Chronos with the new 02 movement in it as the 02 movement is superb - on par with anything from Omega and a nice 80 hour power reserve.
    That's a shame to hear, as part of me really wants the Calibre 11 Monaco, but high RRP for the movement. Really wish they'd put the 02 movement in this style case (even if the current 02 Monaco is thick).

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    That's a shame to hear, as part of me really wants the Calibre 11 Monaco, but high RRP for the movement. Really wish they'd put the 02 movement in this style case (even if the current 02 Monaco is thick).
    https://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-...w-ref-cbl2113/

They have

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Calibre 11 monaco is lovely to be honest.

Heuer badges pass the watch snob test in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Have a look at the Chronos with the new 02 movement in it as the 02 movement is superb - on par with anything from Omega and a nice 80 hour power reserve.[/QUOTE]

With Ryan on this one, the new Carrera’s look great, 42mm so a decent size also.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the thoughts guys. Will probably try on the black chrono as my local dealer have one.

Master
    Here's a review of the Carrera (CV211).

https://www.calibre11.com/first-look...-silver-black/

It's a limited edition (properly- 400 across both colours), so I'm hoping will hold its value. It's a 2016 watch, so will be NOS, even if they are claiming it's new. Seem to be a few about on Chrono 24, but far more in silver.