Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New LR defender

New LR defender

Anyone own a new defender?
    Took one for a test the other day and was impressed
    Very nice smooth Ride and really radical and different inside
    Pricey though and only a 2l engine at the mo
    Andy

I’m an original Defender fanatic and was very impressed by the new styling (had to happen eventually).

My only problem is I don’t trust any new JLR these days when it comes to the engine, electronics, build quality or reliability unfortunately.

Damn shame as it looks fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    I’m an original Defender fanatic and was very impressed by the new styling (had to happen eventually).

My only problem is I don’t trust any new JLR these days when it comes to the engine, electronics, build quality or reliability unfortunately.

I have a Series III and think the new one looks terrible and is just a (failed) styling exercise on the same old JLR platform sharing gubbins. I'd love an original Defender though.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Are they not launching a new engine soon-ish? Bit bizarre so soon after launch, but hey ho.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I have a Series III and think the new one looks terrible and is just a (failed) styling exercise on the same old JLR platform sharing gubbins. I'd love an original Defender though.
    Having owned more than I care to admit, including a Series 3, obviously the original Landy will be timeless and forever cherished.

Having seen many a crashed Defender, they no longer adhere to modern safety design, so their days were always going to be numbered. As for the new reincarnation, I applaud their attention to detail and nods to the past, however I do believe it should have been called a Discovery X really, and the Defender laid to rest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Are they not launching a new engine soon-ish? Bit bizarre so soon after launch, but hey ho.
    Run out!

Yes the dealership said this. Early next year. A new 3l diesel

Blog Entries

Have you owned any new JLR vehicles in the last 10 years? I only ask because in that period I've owned 2 new Jaguars and 1 new Range Rover and all 3 have been really good cars.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It is what they do. We purchased a Evoque 6 months after launch, then further 6 months down the line all new engines. Sales ploy perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    It is what they do. We purchased a Evoque 6 months after launch, then further 6 months down the line all new engines. Sales ploy perhaps.
    If you’re talking about when they introduced the Ingenium engine around 2016 then believe me you’ve got the better engine by a country mile.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Have you owned any new JLR vehicles in the last 10 years? I only ask because in that period I've owned 2 new Jaguars and 1 new Range Rover and all 3 have been really good cars.
    Had Disco 2 & 3 which were faultless and old RR Sport which again no major issues.

Sadly both my SIL and FIL have new Discovery and RR Vogue with string of engine light and oil level issues that are still being resolved!

Don’t like it sorry.
    But then again I like G-wagens, maybe because I drove a couple of Unimogs in a previous life...
    (Don’t have one, mind)

I find the exterior styling to be really impressive. It’s a shame though to see all the screen-based toot inside; hard-point interfaces would have pointed to a vehicle that one might drive across decades.

Blog Entries
    Now Google any manufacturer and breakdown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I find the exterior styling to be really impressive. It’s a shame though to see all the screen-based toot inside; hard-point interfaces would have pointed to a vehicle that one might drive across decades.
    I think the screen based interface is a mistake also. Even on the Range Rovers I didn’t like it.

Craftsman
    I think in the world as it is today with what will be ever increasing environmental regulations, it wouldn't be realistic to expect to drive a vehicle across the decades. Not that I think that's necessarily a good thing, mind.

I think in the world as it is today with what will be ever increasing environmental regulations, it wouldn't be realistic to expect to drive a vehicle across the decades. Not that I think that's necessarily a good thing, mind.
    Agreed, but the built-in obsolescence is frustrating. My 1995 Defender 90 is rebuilt onto a new chassis and will be going strong for years to come. The environmental arguments never seem to factor in the huge amount of resources needed to build a new vehicle in the first place, rather than keep something perfectly serviceable on the road. That's before you've used a huge amount of energy to melt the old vehicle down and a landfill or incinerator for anything that can't be recylced.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Agreed, but the built-in obsolescence is frustrating. My 1995 Defender 90 is rebuilt onto a new chassis and will be going strong for years to come. The environmental arguments never seem to factor in the huge amount of resources needed to build a new vehicle in the first place, rather than keep something perfectly serviceable on the road. That's before you've used a huge amount of energy to melt the old vehicle down and a landfill or incinerator for anything that can't be recylced.
    I do agree with that frustration and the point about the real use of resources is a very good one. I believe environmental concerns though of course valid will simply be used as another lever bizarrely to keep folk consuming.

As someone who keeps his cars in really good order, and doesn't subscribe to buying a new one very regularly, I'd like to be rewarded for my 'non-consumption'. Its nice to dream I suppose.

For the new Defender I'd certainly question how 'built to last' these really will be - I'd say for 95%+ of buyers that won't be a concern as it won't be kept long enough to really find out.

For the new Defender I'd certainly question how 'built to last' these really will be - I'd say for 95%+ of buyers that won't be a concern as it won't be kept long enough to really find out.
    Something north of 90% of new cars are leased or on credit of some kind. Much like our music and films, our cars are now just rented. It will be interesting to see what it costs to run an electric car once it's seven or eight years old and in private hands.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Anyone own a new defender?
    Took one for a test the other day and was impressed
    Very nice smooth Ride and really radical and different inside
    Pricey though and only a 2l engine at the mo
    Andy
    I have been looking at them, but not yet driven one, so interested to hear your view. The 2L engine is available as 240bhp, and still good to tow 3.5T.

I'm currently debating the various differences/ advantages of new Defender vs Discovery vs Disco Sport PHEV (apart from the pitfall of all being JLR before somebody comments!). Main dragging point on the Defender is the price, especially as it has higher APR than the other 2. I have no desire to own one outright and keep it for 10 years, I'm happy with the peace of mind of lease/ PCP etc.

Have you driven a Discovery too? if so I'd be interested to hear how they compare.

Andy
    You know I worked at Jag - the warranty claims already are ridiculous

Barge poles wouldn’t get me near one

If you ever do decide to keep a car why not look at the proper German reliable stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    I have been looking at them, but not yet driven one, so interested to hear your view. The 2L engine is available as 240bhp, and still good to tow 3.5T.

I'm currently debating the various differences/ advantages of new Defender vs Discovery vs Disco Sport PHEV (apart from the pitfall of all being JLR before somebody comments!). Main dragging point on the Defender is the price, especially as it has higher APR than the other 2. I have no desire to own one outright and keep it for 10 years, I'm happy with the peace of mind of lease/ PCP etc.

Have you driven a Discovery too? if so I'd be interested to hear how they compare.
    Yes I drove the disco also. The 3l engine is very refined they are both really nice to drive
    I just prefer the new looks of the defender at the mo. Reliability is the issue stopping me from buying I think
    I managed to get a little discount on the defender quote.
    Or wait till the new year and get a defender with the new 3l engine ? Apr wise 3.9 v 5.9

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Andy

If you ever do decide to keep a car why not look at the proper German reliable stuff?

I know pal. Big worry to be fair

I really like it, op if you do your research you’ll find that JLR warranty work is no worse than BMW or Mercedes it just gets talked about more on Internet forums, which isn’t doing them any favours

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I really like it, op if you do your research you’ll find that JLR warranty work is no worse than BMW or Mercedes it just gets talked about more on Internet forums, which isn’t doing them any favours
    I'd agree with this having bought their cars.

Andy

Take no notice of sweepingfloors the "reliable German stuff" is no more reliable than JLR. If Reliability is your main concern then get a lexus

Master
    Andy

Out of interest did you work at a dealership or actually for jaguar?

New LR defender

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Out of interest did you work at a dealership or actually for jaguar?
    Perhaps he was the man that makes the thing that drills the hole that holds the ring that drives the rod that turns the knob that works the thing ummy bob that makes the engine roar?

(Gracie Fields, Lisa’s auntie)

When you’ve seen them blow up
    On the test track - break down in the country l as me outside the test track s x have to rapidly erect covers so the press don’t see maybe you’d get the gist

I wouldn’t buy any JLR car other than maybe the ipace

On the test track - break down in the country l as me outside the test track s x have to rapidly erect covers so the press don’t see maybe you’d get the gist

Having worked for JLR, Mercedes and BMW I have seen plenty of problems across all of them. You're avoid JLR and buy reliable German advice is misinformed.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=lenlec;5564382]Yes I drove the disco also. The 3l engine is very refined they are both really nice to drive
    I just prefer the new looks of the defender at the mo. Reliability is the issue stopping me from buying I think
    I managed to get a little discount on the defender quote.
    Or wait till the new year and get a defender with the new 3l engine ? Apr wise 3.9 v 5.9

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I drove the 3l Disco a while ago and it was lovely - so smooth and had the Range Rover style glide and whoosh. I too prefer the look of the Defender though. I'll try to get behind the wheel of a Defender to see how they compare. We do quite big miles so comfort is also key!

Quote Originally Posted by maccado View Post
    Having worked for JLR, Mercedes and BMW I have seen plenty of problems across all of them. You're avoid JLR and buy reliable German advice is misinformed.
    Yep, as a supplier I get to see the 8Ds

On the contrary, as with diesel finally falling from favour (whodathunkit), there might arguably be a time when we realise that the build/disposal impacts of artificially short vehicle lifecycles outweigh marginal operational improvements along the way.

Craftsman
    Saw my first two this morning both in black, one parked on the side of the road the other going the other way and not a fan on first sight, to 'fancy' to be a true Defender. Can understand why the local farmers who have been replacing theirs have gone for the new trend of commercial pick-ups as the new work horse.

Craftsman
    On the contrary, as with diesel finally falling from favour (whodathunkit), there might arguably be a time when we realise that the build/disposal impacts of artificially short vehicle lifecycles outweigh marginal operational improvements along the way.
    Diesel might well come back into favour, but not an old one, as there'll be no money in that. Call me cynical and all that..

Craftsman

Having worked at MIRA and Milbrook I’ve towed all brands off the track with dead motors. That’s the point of testing...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post
    Saw my first two this morning both in black, one parked on the side of the road the other going the other way and not a fan on first sight, to 'fancy' to be a true Defender. Can understand why the local farmers who have been replacing theirs have gone for the new trend of commercial pick-ups as the new work horse.
    Based on looks then?

What engines were blowing up?

Master
    I have one on order which should be here before Xmas. New 250hp 3L inline 6 engine although I quite liked the 4cyl 240hp I test drove. Very much a LR fan and have owned lots. Currently have a 1964 series 2a and a 1991 V8 Range Rover Classic so a sucker for punishment I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    I have one on order which should be here before Xmas. New 250hp 3L inline 6 engine although I quite liked the 4cyl 240hp I test drove. Very much a LR fan and have owned lots. Currently have a 1964 series 2a and a 1991 V8 Range Rover Classic so a sucker for punishment I guess.
    Didn’t realise the 3l 250hp was available that quickly
    What colour and spec you gone for ?

Master
    Didn’t realise the 3l 250hp was available that quickly
    What colour and spec you gone for ?
    It’s an Eiger Grey 110 SE with added arches, side steps, classic flaps, tow bar, dog guard etc. I actually went in to test drive an ex demo D240 but there was very little in the price from a new one so I ordered one about a month ago. The dealer is hinting that delivery may be earlier than the scheduled 25th December, I hope so!

Edit - the new engine is also MHEV / mild hybrid so I’m hoping the residuals will be better too.

Blog Entries
    It’s an Eiger Grey 110 SE with added arches, side steps, classic flaps, tow bar, dog guard etc. I actually went in to test drive an ex demo D240 but there was very little in the price from a new one so I ordered one about a month ago. The dealer is hinting that delivery may be earlier than the scheduled 25th December, I hope so!

Edit - the new engine is also MHEV / mild hybrid so I’m hoping the residuals will be better too.
    Sounds like a great spec so be interesting to see what your thoughts are when you get it.

Sounds great. I liked the 2l 240 as well. But want to try the 3l. Did you manage to drive the 3l ?

Master
    Sounds like a great spec so be interesting to see what your thoughts are when you get it.
    Very happy to do this in the New Year.

I will add that we sat in and / or test drove every model in the showroom (inc Jaguar models) other than the full fat RR. The Defender just felt and drove right. Very planted, quiet and powerful, a comfortable and commanding driving position. I found it more of a successor to my much loved Disco 4 than my previous late model Defender.

Master
    Sounds great. I liked the 2l 240 as well. But want to try the 3l. Did you manage to drive the 3l ?
    No unfortunately. I think they aren’t being produced until next month.

No unfortunately. I think they aren’t being produced until next month.
    Same for me. The d240 defender felt very smooth and easy to drive. Everything felt solid. The interior is great IMO
    Hope the 3l is a perfect match for the car

Blog Entries
    Very happy to do this in the New Year.

I will add that we sat in and / or test drove every model in the showroom (inc Jaguar models) other than the full fat RR. The Defender just felt and drove right. Very planted, quiet and powerful, a comfortable and commanding driving position. I found it more of a successor to my much loved Disco 4 than my previous late model Defender.
    Appreciate that. I bought the F Pace in March as I didn’t like the screen interface in the Range Rovers. If the Defender turns out to be as good as people are saying it might be worth getting used to.

Master
    Appreciate that. I bought the F Pace in March as I didn’t like the screen interface in the Range Rovers. If the Defender turns out to be as good as people are saying it might be worth getting used to.
    I liked the F Pace but swmbo has trouble getting comfortable in the seats due to her lack of vertical achievement. We had the same problem in the Evoque and Disco Sport, the Velar was a better fit but honestly, the Defender was better on the road.

Definitely worth a test drive.

Craftsman
    Based on looks then?
    Looks and apparent size, large vehicles often cause road blocks on the narrow roads round my neck of the woods, hence having a Panda Twinair 4x4 myself

Though it would be interesting to try one out compared to the military Defenders I used to drive; many years ago now mind.

Blog Entries
    Based on looks then?
    Looks and apparent size, large vehicles often cause road blocks on the narrow roads round my neck of the woods, hence having a Panda Twinair 4x4 myself

Though it would be interesting to try one out compared to the military Defenders I used to drive; many years ago now mind.
    Strange that local farmers would be buying commercial pick ups then, they must be quite wide and large? But probably a bit different to the old Defenders yes.

Craftsman
    Strange that local farmers would be buying commercial pick ups then, they must be quite wide and large? But probably a bit different to the old Defenders yes.
    They don't seem to mind stuffing them in the hedge if they are not going mach 9 making everyone else get out the way, hence again having the little car to get through the gaps. Still a few L/R's about and sadly three long dead early examples slowly falling apart in a field just up the road from our place. Think there's another broken one further down the dale but with a DIY body.