closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would you recommend these bottles of alcoholic drinks be safely disposed/dumped ?

Would you recommend these bottles of alcoholic drinks be safely disposed/dumped ?

In a previous life I used to get lots of bottle's of different booze given to me at Christmas by customers, rum, brandy, whiskey, wine etc etc i'm not a teetotaler but neither my wife or me drink alcohol just doesent do anything for us :)

Over the last few years I know my wife has disposed/dumped most of the shorts by various means but I found these in my garage, the whisky I think was a present a couple of years back, would they be safe to drink ? or should they be dumped responsible ? thanks.

Master
    This is a bit of a wind up right?
    The whisky and port are already 10+ (and anything up to 30+) years old already and in sealed bottles so I'd say another few really won't make any difference. Same for the rum.
    If you don't want to give the wine away then just pour it down the sink but I imagine you must know someone who would at least try it and then bin it if it's off.
    I think they might laugh if you took it to the tip, or just drink it!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    If nothing else you could get about £80 for the Macallan.

The corks may have dried out and may fall apart when you try and extract them, but you won't know until you try. I'd suggest using an 'Ah So' cork puller. If not, just filter out the cork that's crumbled into the booze using filter papers. Those two screw tops will be fine though!

It'll almost all be fine to drink - you can usually tell if somethings gone a bit iffy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    If nothing else you could get about £80 for the Macallan.
    That box usually £36 in Costco with two glasses included.

Port and whisky should be fine if unopened rest I’d chuck down the sink

Thanks, bare in mind these have been in a outside garage so temperature's have varied from freezing to very hot (remember that day ? ) would that affect the drink ?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Why not stick it on SC for the fundraiser?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Thanks, bare in mind these have been in a outside garage so temperature's have varied from freezing to very hot (remember that day ? ) would that affect the drink ?
    Yes, certainly. But if you don't have a 'stock' one to compare to, you won't be able to know the difference

It's definitely something to declare if you want to sell anything though.

Should be fine.

Give the spirits to the postie or the binmen or people who have done you a favour.

Put the wine in cooking at Christmas. Taste it first.

Master
    PM me your address and I'll pop round and "dispose" of it for you (if I can sleep it off in your garage).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    PM me your address and I'll pop round and "dispose" of it for you (if I can sleep it off in your garage).
    What a fun thread..!

If you need any help let me know.

Master
    Bon't dother purple. I've jot this one shorted, and I've taken the hands off bis hottles. *hic*

I had a similar problem with a late Uncle's 'gifted' booze .. he was a chartered arbitrator. I drank a bottle of brandy and realised finishing off the remainder myself was too risky ... so donated the lot to club raffles ...which raised £funds for the club and benefitted all the members.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Journeyman
    safe disposal is the way forward. Hard to do properly. If you wish, send them over to me and i shall dispose of them in the safest and best way

All sorted, dog walking mate had the wines to sort through, postman had the whiskey and the Bacardi went down the sewers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    the Bacardi went down the sewers.
    always the best option for Bacardi!

Old bottles of spirits can sometimes be worth a surprising amount, even if they were very common at the time of original release. People are willing to pay a £100 quid for a 1980s bottle of Bacardi.

I did a little reorganizing in the garage this afternoon after buying a nice set of metal draws at the car boot today and while doing so I came across this Janneau Grand Armagnac VSOP unopened bottle in its tin carrier which I must of had for at least 25 years, I assume as above this will be fine ?

Yeah, should be fine - get it down you!

Craftsman
    What about Champagne and similar sparkling wine? I have got loads of bottles I have accumulated over many years, mainly as rewards from work. As I don’t drink alcohol they have just been sitting in the cupboard. Some must be at least ten years old. I was thinking of taking them to a Jubilee street party, but I don’t want to poison anyone.

What the feck is all this nonsense about not drinking booze? Bejesus!

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    What about Champagne and similar sparkling wine? I have got loads of bottles I have accumulated over many years, mainly as rewards from work. As I don’t drink alcohol they have just been sitting in the cupboard. Some must be at least ten years old. I was thinking of taking them to a Jubilee street party, but I don’t want to poison anyone.
    on their sides - they are probably still ruined by the ambient temperature (in summer)

stored vertical - air will have been pumped in and out by the varying temperatures past dry corks.

so many "work" gizzits were pretty mediocre to begin with, never mind in 5yrs time