closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Computer Advice

Computer Advice

I've recently set up a home office and have been working on a laptop. I want to set up dual monitors. I've got the monitors but only one HDMI port on the laptop so I can only use one at the moment. What else do I need?

I've looked on Amazon but it's not very clear, I don't want to end up with one screen mirrored, I want to use two applications at the same time.

Would appreciate any advice.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    I've recently set up a home office and have been working on a laptop. I want to set up dual monitors. I've got the monitors but only one HDMI port on the laptop so I can only use one at the moment. What else do I need?

I've looked on Amazon but it's not very clear, I don't want to end up with one screen mirrored, I want to use two applications at the same time.

Would appreciate any advice.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Pretty sure you can only mirror two displays as HDMI doesn’t have the ability to send two different signals. Have you got a vga port as well?

A USB to graphics adapter might work. Depends whether your graphic card can handle an additional display.

What other ports does your laptop have?

Master
    you also might be able to buy a docking station which might do it. What the make of laptop

Journeyman
    If you have USB-C you can get a USB-C to HDMI connector.

Try eBay . Currys if you're in a hurry.

Might be worth giving us the name and the model number of the laptop.

Most laptops will have 1x hdmi and then 1x usb or display port. You should be fine unless you're really unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Might be worth giving us the name and the model number of the laptop.

Most laptops will have 1x hdmi and then 1x usb or display port. You should be fine unless you're really unlucky.
    Thanks for the responses. It's an HP 15s-fq1003na. It has 1x HDMI port, 2x USB/A ports and 1x USB/C.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the responses. It's an HP 15s-fq1003na. It has 1x HDMI port, 2x USB/A ports and 1x USB/C.
    I think a USB-C to HDMI cable would work perfectly on one monitor, alongside a HDMI cable for the second monitor.

Otherwise the more expensive option would be a USB-C docking station (e.g. Dell WD15).
    Last edited by mrsammyp; 21st October 2020 at 17:15.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    I think a USB-C to HDMI cable would work perfectly on one monitor, alongside a HDMI cable for the second monitor.

Otherwise the more expensive option would be a USB-C docking station (e.g. Dell WD15).
    Thanks, I guess I'll try the cable first and get a docking station if that doesn't work.

Master
    Something like this adapter would give you pretty good flexibility. USB-C is a highly capable interface. Will allow you to use a regular HDMI<->HDMI cable.

Craftsman
    Are the monitors 1080p rather than 4k? Not many laptops have a graphics card that can drive 2 x 4k plus their own screen.

I set up a single 4k with laptop at the start of lockdown. I looked at adding another 4k monitor recently but I would not be able to run 3 screens at that res with my current laptop.

Think you're stuck with 1x external monitor, sorry. The USB C port is gen 1 which is data only. No video signal passes through which is what you'd need. Could try a bigger monitor?

Only buy cables to try from places with good returns policies. USB C should have been fine, but not Gen 1 which is what the specs say you have.