closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Royal Mail collecting parcels

Royal Mail collecting parcels

Just read this, but I wondered if RMSD applies or not? Print your own paperwork?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54614871
    Edit
    Just read it doesn't do RMSD, shame.
    Last edited by Rod; 21st October 2020 at 10:22.

Master
    How far behind the times are royal mail, couriers have been doing this for years.
    The biggest problem for Royal Mail is their price once a parcel goes over 2Kg, maybe they might look at this in a few years time??

This sounded great...until I saw no RMSD.
    Still, a step in the right direction for those who live painfully far from a Post Office.

good plan considering Hermes have put their prices up recently.

i would pay 72p to avoid driving 6 miles, parking up, walking to shop in the rain and waiting in a line of people i dont like

Blog Entries
    RMSD price banding is absurd! 2KG is £11.00, (fair enough) but go a few grams over that and you are into the ‘up to 10KG’ band at a charge of £26.60!!!
    Clearly they need RMSD price/weight banding between 2KG and 10KG if they want to keep customers onside.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    How far behind the times are royal mail, couriers have been doing this for years.
    The biggest problem for Royal Mail is their price once a parcel goes over 2Kg, maybe they might look at this in a few years time??
    Much the same as their tracking service, which only seems to tell you retrospectively what/where your package was with a 24-48hr time lag.
    Only of use when something is already known to be lost.

They're behind but at least taking a step in the right direction? I'm sure they'll consider adding RMSD once they've trialed the basic service out. Good time to roll out this service as well as lots of folks are avoiding going out to the post office.

Master
    We can’t even get a daily delivery service here at the moment so getting getting parcels picked up ain’t gonna work.

All very well criticising PO, but don't forget they lost a lot of the profit-making business, while being compelled to continue with the loss-making business.

The companies who are now offering a pretty good service (apart from their employees nicking stuff) - are the ones who benefitted from that sell-off and could invest in new tech/services.

Craftsman
    I live about 1km from a post office, not sure how ‘lucky’ that makes me but I couldn’t be arsed with the admin of them printing off I’d rather pay a visit and get out the house for a walk.

Also, it’s apparently limited to 5 parcels per delivery (500-600 drops), so I wonder how that’ll work if it gets popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Also, it’s apparently limited to 5 parcels per delivery (500-600 drops), so I wonder how that’ll work if it gets popular.

Yes, I don't think this is aimed at commercial sellers - maybe they already have a collection system in place for them?

I can definitely see myself using this for online purchase returns actually.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Yes, I don't think this is aimed at commercial sellers - maybe they already have a collection system in place for them?

I can definitely see myself using this for online purchase returns actually.
    Postmen are going to pick it up as they deliver the usual. The way things are thought out though, I reckon this will be just another thing drivers have to do. So, if things are back to normal we’re looking at a limit of 10 parcels for over 1000 addresses.

Postmen are going to pick it up as they deliver the usual. The way things are thought out though, I reckon this will be just another thing drivers have to do. So, if things are back to normal we’re looking at a limit of 10 parcels for over 1000 addresses.

Oh I see - I misread their blurb as limited to 5 per customer, but yours makes much more sense otherwise they could be totally overloaded. That'll be challenging to administrate!

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Oh I see - I misread their blurb as limited to 5 per customer, but yours makes much more sense otherwise they could be totally overloaded. That'll be challenging to administrate!
    Yes, sorry I could have put it differently. It’s a good idea but well see how it works out... great timing too, with the Christmas pressure... not

Where's the 10/1000 come from? https://www.royalmail.com/collection

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Where's the 10/1000 come from? https://www.royalmail.com/collection
    I work for Royal Mail. We’ve been told it’s going to be limited to 5 per delivery. 1 delivery/500-600 addresses = 1 postman/woman. In Covid free times 1 van = 2 people = 2 deliveries and therefore 1000-1200 drops. Does that make sense?

I work for Royal Mail. We’ve been told it’s going to be limited to 5 per delivery. 1 delivery/500-600 addresses = 1 postman/woman. In Covid free times 1 van = 2 people = 2 deliveries and therefore 1000-1200 drops. Does that make sense?

Kind of! So if two customers have 5 parcels, that's it for that round? Can imagine the service could rapidly reach its limit.

Sounds like good news for customers, what do the posties think of it?

Grand Master
    To be honest i find the hermes parceldrop way easier and have two parcelshops less than 1km away, you just do it online and print the labels in-store, no faffing about and cheaper.

Royal Mail could do well here, but i can see a lot of teething problems with this one, the problem is they've reduced their network whilst others have increased it, and don't appear to like joining forces to widen their potential like others.

Kind of! So if two customers have 5 parcels, that's it for that round? Can imagine the service could rapidly reach its limit.

Sounds like good news for customers, what do the posties think of it?
    I’m not sure how exactly it’ll work, if it’s 5 parcels or 5 addresses. The idea is that the postie can just pick it up while walking with the bag. So, yeah - 5 parcels from one customer wouldn’t work in that situation. I don’t know if posties would get info as to what the size of the parcel is etc. well just have to wait and see.
    With the Covid situation, it’s a complete mess. Can’t even think what Christmas is going to be like...

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    To be honest i find the hermes parceldrop way easier and have two parcelshops less than 1km away, you just do it online and print the labels in-store, no faffing about and cheaper.

Royal Mail could do well here, but i can see a lot of teething problems with this one, the problem is they've reduced their network whilst others have increased it, and don't appear to like joining forces to widen their potential like others.
    I agree, Hermes drop off is great. The delivery service can be a bit of a different experience though

I’m not sure how exactly it’ll work, if it’s 5 parcels or 5 addresses. The idea is that the postie can just pick it up while walking with the bag. So, yeah - 5 parcels from one customer wouldn’t work in that situation. I don’t know if posties would get info as to what the size of the parcel is etc. well just have to wait and see.
    With the Covid situation, it’s a complete mess. Can’t even think what Christmas is going to be like...

Does say 5/customer on your website - ours park the van in our street and don't think they venture too far away. Could always park nearer many/larger parcels if they know in advance.

Had card through door today, looking for Christmas staff...

Does say 5/customer on your website - ours park the van in our street and don't think they venture too far away. Could always park nearer many/larger parcels if they know in advance.

Had card through door today, looking for Christmas staff...
    Oh I see. Well there we go then. I wonder if it’s actually 5 per customer but not 5 per delivery as they told us?

Master
    I agree, Hermes drop off is great. The delivery service can be a bit of a different experience though

I tend to use My hermes as a last resort, when it's too big or too heavy for royal mail, their delivery can be a bit hit or miss though.
    I sent 2 parcels on Monday via my hermes, both to the same person at the same address, one got there today, the other is still in transit, work that one out!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    All very well criticising PO, but don't forget they lost a lot of the profit-making business, while being compelled to continue with the loss-making business.

The companies who are now offering a pretty good service (apart from their employees nicking stuff) - are the ones who benefitted from that sell-off and could invest in new tech/services.
    I do think that a lot of the PO systems, policies and procedures are archaic and need to be improved to keep them competitive in todays market place if they are to survive, but much of the criticism is probably not aimed at the front line staff, more the 'behind the scenes' decisions that are taken.

In terms of the front line customer facing staff (postmen/women and post office counter staff), I still find them some of the best and most dedicated delivery-service people out there.

We’ve a lovely postwoman, will have to post more parcels...

I have just used the RM collection service for the first time and I have to say, it was actually quite slick.

Small parcel sent and stamped from PO: £3.10

Small parcel collected from home with home-printed label: £2.95 postage + £0.72 collection fee = £3.67
    Saving in time/diesel: 10 mile round trip and approx 45 minutes of time.
    Downside: Collection is the following day, so your stuff will effectively take a day longer to get where it is going than if you dropped it at the PO.

I will be interested to hear the posties view on it when I see him, but so far it seems to suit me (as a very rural dweller) pretty well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I have just used the RM collection service for the first time and I have to say, it was actually quite slick.

Small parcel sent and stamped from PO: £3.10

Small parcel collected from home with home-printed label: £2.95 postage + £0.72 collection fee = £3.67
    Saving in time/diesel: 10 mile round trip and approx 45 minutes of time.
    Downside: Collection is the following day, so your stuff will effectively take a day longer to get where it is going than if you dropped it at the PO.

I will be interested to hear the posties view on it when I see him, but so far it seems to suit me (as a very rural dweller) pretty well.
    What’s the latest time at which you can book a collection for the next day?

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    What’s the latest time at which you can book a collection for the next day?
    I have absolutely no idea and could not find it on their website either.
    Sorry.

Craftsman
    I have absolutely no idea and could not find it on their website either.
    Sorry.
    No worries - I’ll take a look. Was wondering how they’re trying to mitigate the +1 day delay issue that’s all!

Master
    There can be a days delay with Hermes etc at collection points depending on pick up time, the one nearest to me is 10am, not rushing out early for that, last parcel collection at the P.O. Is 4pm so I go at my leisure during the day, until there is an alternative delivering letters I’ll just support my posties.
    Even if mail is maybe only 3deliveries a week due to staff shortages, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    There can be a days delay with Hermes etc at collection points depending on pick up time, the one nearest to me is 10am, not rushing out early for that, last parcel collection at the P.O. Is 4pm so I go at my leisure during the day, until there is an alternative delivering letters I’ll just support my posties.
    Even if mail is maybe only 3deliveries a week due to staff shortages, apparently.
    It's not really the staff shortages but rather the fact that the posties can't travel together due to the Covid situation. That makes the job way more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    No worries - I’ll take a look. Was wondering how they’re trying to mitigate the +1 day delay issue that’s all!
    The '1 day delay' I mention is to do with the fact that the postman leaves the sorting office very early, so they will probably not know he has a parcel to collect until he picks up his round the following morning. All guesswork on my part though.

This may change of course if they implement new technology - but I doubt it for a few pence per parcel collected.

The '1 day delay' I mention is to do with the fact that the postman leaves the sorting office very early, so they will probably not know he has a parcel to collect until he picks up his round the following morning. All guesswork on my part though.

This may change of course if they implement new technology - but I doubt it for a few pence per parcel collected.
    It appears on the scanner posties have. They know how many collections they have each morning.

Don’t see a day’s delay being an issue for many (most even) people. Certainly not for returns which could be a big proportion of parcels.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Hermes are absolute garbage. Often get emails from them saying stuff will arrive on X date and you get it 3 days later. Remember using them years back when they first arrived on the scene but wouldn’t touch them now.

Master
    A little 'inside' insight into this
    its a mx of packets per address and 5 addresses per delivery (at the moment)
    Sort of ok if your on a van duty but not so good if you have a trolley and 5 parcels to collect right near he start of your delivery
    The collection info is loaded up in the morning when the postman logs on to his delivery route.
    We have a small (ish) town of 30k del points and have had about 5 collection points per day so far

RM/Parcel force over 2kg is too expensive; and why can't you drop Tracked items at a post office rather than collection centres which are open irregular hours, even more so during Covid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickeros View Post
    RM/Parcel force over 2kg is too expensive; and why can't you drop Tracked items at a post office rather than collection centres which are open irregular hours, even more so during Covid.
    Parcelforce - large parcels - you can drop those of at a PO (not just collection centres). Tracked 24 / 48 - are a PITA - the local collection centre are only open between 8am - 9am!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Parcelforce - large parcels - you can drop those of at a PO (not just collection centres). Tracked 24 / 48 - are a PITA - the local collection centre are only open between 8am - 9am!
    Can you not drop your tracked at the local office where you collect docket left packets?
    Ours has reduced hours buts open more than an hour a day

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    A little 'inside' insight into this
    its a mx of packets per address and 5 addresses per delivery (at the moment)
    Sort of ok if your on a van duty but not so good if you have a trolley and 5 parcels to collect right near he start of your delivery
    The collection info is loaded up in the morning when the postman logs on to his delivery route.
    We have a small (ish) town of 30k del points and have had about 5 collection points per day so far
    Do you know what the cut-off time to arrange collection for the following day?
    We couldn't find it written anywhere on the RM website when I looked last week.

Master
    I don’t but I know that much of the info downloaded to the PDA’s is done by 2am

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I don’t but I know that much of the info downloaded to the PDA’s is done by 2am
    Thank you.