closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garmin Fenix 6x pro Solar.....

Garmin Fenix 6x pro Solar.....

Who’s got one, and do you rate it?
    Looking for a change from my Apple Watch.

Craftsman
    I have the non-solar version of 6x pro. Deliberately chose this since the solar coating makes the watch face harder to read (it's not a bright watch). Unless you use GPS tracking heavily, the battery will easily last a week with normal watch functions (including calls, notifications, etc). It wears much bigger than the apple watch, so need pretty beefy wrists to pull it off. Also the standard rubber strap is pretty useless but you can buy a SS strap for it from Garmin specifically designed for this watch. I change watches all the time but this one I'm hanging on to - a very impressive piece of tech IMHO and extremely well made.

Like previous poster, bought standard 6X Pro for same reason and unless you’re out in the sun a lot, the solar charging won’t help much.

Very happy with and haven’t worn much else since owning (9 months). Personally don’t mind strap.

Couple of minor negative points - map is obviously tiny and pretty useless IMO; very few UK banks signed up to Garmin Pay, think only mainstream one is Santander.

I also have a non Solar version, the Sapphire Titanium in my case. I only wear it for running/cycling/pilates etc. It’s been fantastic for me, exactly what I wanted.

For me it is really optimised for fitness, more than the Apple watch. The dials, apps, programmable modes and tracking can be really optimised to help your training. I’m quite long-sighted but find the screen easy to read out on a run. The VO2 measurement is reliable - Apple have only recently started to offer VO2. It is pretty robust especially with the Sapphire crystal.

The Spotify and music integration works well enough, as do message notifications and the other lifestyle stuff. I listen to my playlists while I run just from the Garmin; don’t need a phone anymore. Apple is much better at that stuff of course, but I was pleasantly surprised that the Garmin wasn’t as clunky as I was expecting.

In short, the Garmin is a proper fitness/hiking/training device, and the Apple is a 24 hours a day lifestyle device. But both do a pretty good job in the other’s domain.

IMHO of course.

Master
    I have a 6 pro and it has been worn extensively. A great watch and the battery will easy last a week to 10 days. I looked at the solars but apparently they don’t add much to the battery and as stated above are harder to read.

I would class these as one of the best fitness watches out there, but not really a smart watch so to speak. I much prefer it over the wife’s Apple Watch.

Master
    Whilst it’s not a Fenix 6. I have the 5X Plus Sapphire which I have been using for cycling. It’s the one with integrated HRM. I’m very impressed with it so far. It has worn very well (still looks like new) and the genuine Garmin straps are a doddle to change.

Interesting points re the solar functionality, I’ll ditch that, not worth paying for by the sounds of it. I can get a 20% discount on the 6’s and a 40% discount on the 5’s, not sure it’s worth the extra for the 6.

I’m not whether I’d miss the additional functions of the Apple Watch. Such as arlo and eufy alerts, and the 4g connectivity, sometimes they’re useful, but I’m never that far from my phone.

Craftsman
    I also have the 6 Pro. I enjoy mine so much that I no longer have any other watches of significant value as I just can't justify having that much money sat in a draw.
    I love the fact it is more a fitness/adventure based watch over a smart watch. Although the smartwatch notification features are just enough. If you play golf, it comes with a very good golf app built in. Also I think it looks pretty great.
    I can't recommend mine highly enough.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Anyone using a Fenix 6 with an iPhone, can you tell me what notifications you’re able to receive on it please, is it just text/phone or are there other options? Ta!

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Anyone using a Fenix 6 with an iPhone, can you tell me what notifications you’re able to receive on it please, is it just text/phone or are there other options? Ta!
    Think any notification on phone will also go to watch. E.g. Forza (football), Amazon, WhatsApp etc.

Master
    As stated above you get most if not all - I get WhatsApp and ring etc. Unfortunately you can’t reply but I’ve turned them off as I find them annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I also have the 6 Pro. I enjoy mine so much that I no longer have any other watches of significant value as I just can't justify having that much money sat in a draw.
    I love the fact it is more a fitness/adventure based watch over a smart watch. Although the smartwatch notification features are just enough. If you play golf, it comes with a very good golf app built in. Also I think it looks pretty great.
    I can't recommend mine highly enough.

That’s the 47mm one right? I hadn’t considered that, but I like the finish options better than the 51mm one.

Craftsman
    That’s the 47mm one right? I hadn’t considered that, but I like the finish options better than the 51mm one.
    That's correct. I love the size of it. It's not small but it's a Garmin adventure watch so I feel it should look pretty rugged.
    It has the gorilla glass (with no protective sticker) and after wearing it nearly every day for a year for mountain biking, snowboarding, bouldering, being a dad to twins and for every one of my shifts as a firefighter, there isn't a mark on the glass. Also i have worn it on the original black rubber strap since new which is still in perfect condition. I only changed it to the red one about a week ago for a bit of a change.
    I genuinely can not fault this watch.

Master
    I'm a fairly keen runner and have the Fenix 5 (47mm one). Absolutely brilliant watch and I'll replace it with whatever version is out when / if it dies on me. Battery life is great on it and it's fairly quick to charge anyway so not sure I'd bother with solar if it somehow has a worse screen (as mentioned by another poster, i've not seen one first hand to comment)

Craftsman
    Interesting points re the solar functionality, I’ll ditch that, not worth paying for by the sounds of it. I can get a 20% discount on the 6’s and a 40% discount on the 5’s, not sure it’s worth the extra for the 6.

I’m not whether I’d miss the additional functions of the Apple Watch. Such as arlo and eufy alerts, and the 4g connectivity, sometimes they’re useful, but I’m never that far from my phone.
    Contemplating upgrading my Fenix 3 (non HR) and was wondering how you were getting the 20% discount and whether people thought the wrist based heart rate monitor was accurate as currently doing a lot of running/cycling trying to target heart rate zones!

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Contemplating upgrading my Fenix 3 (non HR) and was wondering how you were getting the 20% discount and whether people thought the wrist based heart rate monitor was accurate as currently doing a lot of running/cycling trying to target heart rate zones!
    Usually 15+% available from Amazon sellers.

I’m a vitality member, and that’s their offer, through the Garmin website. 20% on 6’s and 40% on 5’s. it it were 40% on 6’s I’d be wearing one now, but I just can’t make up my mind.

Craftsman
    I’m a vitality member, and that’s their offer, through the Garmin website. 20% on 6’s and 40% on 5’s. it it were 40% on 6’s I’d be wearing one now, but I just can’t make up my mind.
    Thanks for the replies that’s useful information.

How accurate do people find the HRM on the 6 series?

Thanks for the replies that’s useful information.

How accurate do people find the HRM on the 6 series?
    I find it very accurate compared to my chest band HRM, which I think must be the gold standard for personal use. Just make sure it’s a reasonably firm fit on the wrist.

I’ve always used HR zones in my training. The Garmin setup works brilliantly for me. It’s easy to customise the zones to your own heart rate and fitness profile, so you can either just check your HR by looking at your wrist while running, or go for regular audible updates about which zone you are in, which I have found really useful.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I find it very accurate compared to my chest band HRM, which I think must be the gold standard for personal use. Just make sure it’s a reasonably firm fit on the wrist.

I’ve always used HR zones in my training. The Garmin setup works brilliantly for me. It’s easy to customise the zones to your own heart rate and fitness profile, so you can either just check your HR by looking at your wrist while running, or go for regular audible updates about which zone you are in, which I have found really useful.
    I think the need for a firm fit means I shouldn't get one on a bracelet, though I do like the titanium one.

I think the need for a firm fit means I shouldn't get one on a bracelet, though I do like the titanium one.
    I think they recommend not running in the bracelet at all, probably for that reason.

It doesn’t have to cut off the blood flow, just not rattle against your wrist.