closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clocks going back?

Imagine having to change the time on 400 clocks .... and getting paid to do it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-54387428

Master
    How about leaving the clocks alone [GMT]... and moving school hours if necessary... start/finish an hour later/earlier?

Round here, the farmers work late into the dark with powerful floodlights.
    Most kids are ferried to their school by Chelsea Tractor, or maybe school bus - very few walk these days.

Journeyman
    I think it would be better to stop the clocks going back. But ideally doing so in concert with nearby countries.

For a while in the late 1800s and early 1900s, Ireland was between 25min 21s and 25min 22s offset from GMT. That would have been a bit of a pain.

Master
    Before the advent of the railways and their timetables, there was no single unified timezone in Britain. If it was 6pm in London, it probably wasn't 6pm in Newcastle. What the definitive reference for the time was in any town or city back then, I have no idea. The cathedral or town hall clock? How did whoever was responsible for maintaining those in the early 19th century determine the correct time?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Before the advent of the railways and their timetables, there was no single unified timezone in Britain. If it was 6pm in London, it probably wasn't 6pm in Newcastle. What the definitive reference for the time was in any town or city back then, I have no idea. The cathedral or town hall clock? How did whoever was responsible for maintaining those in the early 19th century determine the correct time?
    Link:

Before clocks were invented, people kept time using different instruments to observe the Sun’s meridian passing at noon. The earliest time measuring devices we know of are sundials and water clocks...

...and having observed the meridian passage they would be able to correct the town / church clock. Once they had some idea of the clocks timekeeping ability they would be able to apply an average correction until they made another accurate solar observation.

Master
    Thanks! Very interesting.

Master
    It’s seems like the article I read that most seem in favour of scrapping this - you’ve only got a few hours left to get this done. Even Martyn Lewis has been talking about it

Craftsman

Clocks going back?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Made me smile.
    Me too. I love that’ it’s a picture of a Polish Squadron that’s being used to evoke some “British” spirit.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Lolz, it's always 'the details' that catch people out.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    How about leaving the clocks alone [GMT]... and moving school hours if necessary... start/finish an hour later/earlier?

Round here, the farmers work late into the dark with powerful floodlights.
    Most kids are ferried to their school by Chelsea Tractor, or maybe school bus - very few walk these days.
    That might mess with parents working hours unless they’re changed too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Was that a free pullout with The Mail on Sunday?