closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is the Black Bay Harrods worth the premium ?

Is the Black Bay Harrods worth the premium ?

One day hopefully I will have a BB or Pelogos and I was looking at the Harrods BB version, is it worth the premium or is it just down to personal taste ?
    Last edited by TheTigerUK; 20th October 2020 at 17:41.

Surely it can only ever be down to personal taste, unless you're looking at future returns. If you like it and can afford it then buy it, if you don't like it then don't unless you think you can make a return down the road. You'd also want to factor in the x month wait (I haven't researched timescales, I don't like it) and the cost of getting to London to pick it up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    One day hopefully I will have a BB or Pelogos and I looking at the Harrods BB version, is it worth the premium or is it just down to personal taste ?
    Only one person on this thread can answer that.

Master
    What premium are you referring to?
    Pretty sure it is the same price as a regular BB. Pelagos is more from memory.

Journeyman
    I had my name down on this 12 months ago it has lost its exclusivity now 5000 made so far it was supposed to be 100!!!!!!! cannot see anyone paying more than list anymore for this

Master
    One day hopefully I will have a BB or Pelogos and I was looking at the Harrods BB version, is it worth the premium or is it just down to personal taste ?
    How can a different colour bezel be "worth" anything?

Master
    People still ask for a premium on them, a year ago you could get one for just over £3k, now they seem to be over £3.5k. There are several 1000 of them now, so I am surprised that price has not softened for them, like it has the blue bucherer version, which you can now pick up for around £2.5k-£2.7k

they do look great in my opinion,

Master
    Is any watch worth more than it was originally sold for when it’s not even vintage . I think not. Tudor seem to be doing what Rolex do. Create exclusivity and the price rises. Why would anybody think it’s a good deal to pay 40 percent over rrp for any watch. The Rolex thing is a joke . Let’s hope Tudor don’t follow suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the Tudor harrods Edition and it’s a bit of a bargain at sub £3k. As for why anyone would pay 40% over RRP for a watch, well I’ve paid near 100% over RRP before and also paid a fraction of rrp before. It all come out in the wash

Master
    Blog Entries
    No,not to me.

I understand it cost the same as it non Harrods equvelant (~£2.8k), so there is no premium and therefore it is just down to your personal taste... If you like it add your name to their list...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It's the same price as a standard BB.
    I have my name down for about a month and they advised a 6 month wait

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    I nearly spat my dummy out at that comment!

Quote Originally Posted by Saints2014 View Post
    I had my name down on this 12 months ago it has lost its exclusivity now 5000 made so far it was supposed to be 100!!!!!!! cannot see anyone paying more than list anymore for this
    Because?

No one would ever pay over list for watches made in their thousands...
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Because?

No one would ever pay over list for watches made in their thousands...
    To help with the benchmarking, approx how many Rolex GMTs are there?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I’d say yes when compared to what some people are currently paying for Rolex Hulks.

As stated, it's for the OP to decide. I have paid premiums for watches, although there are many on here who wouldn't. In some cases it's have the Watch now or not at all as you are never going to be offered one at list (GMT, Daytona etc).

I paid £9k for a Silver Snoopy (£4.6k list) - now trading at £35k and £13.75k for a White Ceramic Daytona (£9k'ish list) - now trading at close to £24k. Sadly both gone, but it does illustrate that sometimes what seems bonkers today is actually a good idea.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    but it does illustrate that sometimes what seems bonkers today is actually a good idea.
    Only if you hang onto them! :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Only if you hang onto them! :)
    The models that are the least popular end up being the rarest and the best investment.
    Long term the Bucherer will be worth more than Harrods IMO

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
    The models that are the least popular end up being the rarest and the best investment.
    Long term the Bucherer will be worth more than Harrods IMO
    Like the air king I hope 😁

Thanks for the replies and thoughts, if I buy a BB or Pelogos future selling price/popularity would not be an issue as it would be a keeper, I really do like the look of them and how they wear and not just buying one because they are popular, thanks.
    Last edited by TheTigerUK; 21st October 2020 at 18:52.

Master
    Friend of mine has one. Waited 6 months, paid list. Worth a premium? No way but it's not my extra £1K. Blowers and Chronomaster have had them so I guess people are happy to pay extra. They aren't in short supply, just produced in small numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    By restricting supply. We all know it's madness.

Cue the old argument about intrinsic value and art.

I can add something here. The Sunday before last, I went with my son down to Harrods to pick up the special edition he had ordered some 14 months before. We asked the sales lady for the current list length and she said 18 months.
    Under the glass on the counter there was a demo model to view and handle.
    A chap stood by our side and asked to view the demo model. He offered to pay an extra 20% if he could buy the watch there and then. The sales girl said “sorry waiting list piece only.”

I have to say the Harrods buying experience was just average. It was almost too quick, just like buying a pair of trousers in M&S.
    I have had more chat and understanding from buying watches at Ernest Jones. Don’t expect to sit down and have a coffee while you look at the watch. Standing at the counter while the rest of the world walks by.
    Also, Harrods are patrolling the buyer lists. My son put his name down in an email for another one and they replied saying no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I have to say the Harrods buying experience was just average. It was almost too quick, just like buying a pair of trousers in M&S.
    I have had more chat and understanding from buying watches at Ernest Jones. Don’t expect to sit down and have a coffee while you look at the watch. Standing at the counter while the rest of the world walks by.
    Sounds ideal. I bought a Tudor at the weekend and it took about 10 minutes, much too long. If there was a self check out like Tesco I would have used that.
    Also, Harrods are patrolling the buyer lists. My son put his name down in an email for another one and they replied saying no chance.
    Good. Chancer.

At RRP the Harrods version is better value than the regular Black Bay options. One simple reason - you get an extra nato strap for the same price.

At second hand prices it's totally down to you. Objectively it's not worth the c£700+ premium for an engraving, green bezel and a nato. However personally I find the link to the Harrods store to be an interesting aspect of the watch, mainly because I live in London and associate Harrods with Christmas time visits as a child and fond memories. That adds value to me, but may add zero value to the next guy. That said, if you like the link to the store, I'd suggest waiting to actually buy it in the store!

Yet they do. Not sure we're in the 5k region yet.

I can add something here. The Sunday before last, I went with my son down to Harrods to pick up the special edition he had ordered some 14 months before. We asked the sales lady for the current list length and she said 18 months.
    Under the glass on the counter there was a demo model to view and handle.
    A chap stood by our side and asked to view the demo model. He offered to pay an extra 20% if he could buy the watch there and then. The sales girl said “sorry waiting list piece only.”

Struggling to understand your objection here. Would you rather than accepted extra money to allow that guy to skip the queue? Do you think it's fair for a waitlisted watch that others should miss out while your son buys multiples? These seem like very strange grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    At RRP the Harrods version is better value than the regular Black Bay options. One simple reason - you get an extra nato strap for the same price.

At second hand prices it's totally down to you. Objectively it's not worth the c£700+ premium for an engraving, green bezel and a nato. However personally I find the link to the Harrods store to be an interesting aspect of the watch, mainly because I live in London and associate Harrods with Christmas time visits as a child and fond memories. That adds value to me, but may add zero value to the next guy. That said, if you like the link to the store, I'd suggest waiting to actually buy it in the store!

Yet they do. Not sure we're in the 5k region yet.

Struggling to understand your objection here. Would you rather than accepted extra money to allow that guy to skip the queue? Do you think it's fair for a waitlisted watch that others should miss out while your son buys multiples? These seem like very strange grievances.
    I just related what happened during the buying experience. I have never witnessed in person someone offering to pay extra for a watch to jump the queue. Well done to the staff for saying no. Personally, I was not comfortable with people peering over my shoulder to see what was going on whilst my son was spending nearly £3K. In B'ham, where many of my watch purchases have occurred in the past, the staff offer to put the watch box in something like a Sainsburys carrier bag or ask if I want a Bullring security guard to accompany me to the car. Maybe London is safer?

The only thing that disappointed me afterwards was that my son put his name down for another watch as normally he is as cross as everyone is at the folks who buy a watch to flip it for a profit. I only added that section to let you all know that Harrods do scrutinise the list of interested customers.

...the staff offer to put the watch box in something like a Sainsburys carrier bag or ask if I want a Bullring security guard to accompany me to the car. Maybe London is safer?
    £3k coming out of Harrods is like a Mars bar coming out of Tesco but I know what you mean. I usually bring a backpack or at the least buy two bags for life nearby and put the box in that and the watch separate, usually in a travel box.

Craftsman
    Exactly this, Harrods rang me twice to say they had it allocated to me but I turned it down both times. P01 is a better punt.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

This is the typical example of the intangible for watches like Rolex and PP. You pay for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    Exactly this, Harrods rang me twice to say they had it allocated to me but I turned it down both times. P01 is a better punt.

Except the PO1 looks like a box of dog muck

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Except the PO1 looks like a box of dog muck
    I think it’s better in the metal to be honest though wears big. The context of the conversation was around value accretion and I think the PO1 is a better punt over the long term than the Harrods watch precisely because a lot of people hate it. An unpopular watch is a good bet if you are concerned over value.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    I think it’s better in the metal to be honest though wears big. The context of the conversation was around value accretion and I think the PO1 is a better punt over the long term than the Harrods watch precisely because a lot of people hate it. An unpopular watch is a good bet if you are concerned over value.

Only on the Rolex scale does that work. In fact, only on the Rolex scale does accretion really come into it......

Regardless, Harrods (or not) black bay is a good looking watch, PO1 is a POS

I think we can safely conclude that at RRP it's a better deal than the other BBs (personal preferences aside), but at a premium you're really rolling the dice on unknown future demand.

To be honest if someone wants one, there's zero barrier to entry beyond a circa 10 month wait. Anyone can join the list, no funny games. So if you want one and you're based in the UK, I see no reason to pay a premium.

Speedmaster winding question

Wrong thread!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Only on the Rolex scale does that work. In fact, only on the Rolex scale does accretion really come into it......
    Time to buy some Cellinis then! Can you imagine if they are the new 'unicorn watch' in 10 years time!?

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    People still ask for a premium on them, a year ago you could get one for just over £3k, now they seem to be over £3.5k. There are several 1000 of them now, so I am surprised that price has not softened for them, like it has the blue bucherer version, which you can now pick up for around £2.5k-£2.7k

they do look great in my opinion,
    I have seen a bucherer 79250BB for that sort of price! I would snap one up if I could find one at that price