closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Showing the TAG Heuer Aqua Racer Some Love - Review with Pics

Showing the TAG Heuer Aqua Racer Some Love - Review with Pics

I bought one of the new Tag Aqua Racers in the early summer months. I only really had my daily watch, and wanted something that was handsome enough for some occasional desk diving but tough enough for holidays & weekend sports - coaching footy, bike rides, bit of open water swimming that I’ve somehow been dragged into etc. Plus we have a little family timeshare cottage by the Welsh coast, so any sports watch for me sees it’s fair share of paddle boarding, swimming and water skiing (no actual diving though!).

Budget was up to £1500, and after much mulling I settled on the Aqua Racer. For reasons that have been discussed to death, TAG get more than their fair share of critics. Whether that’s reasonable or not I don’t know, but what I do know now is they are capable of making a cracking watch at this 1200-1800 price range.

Mine is the 41mm in gun metal grey dial (also comes in black or white, with SS bezel or ceramic). The proportions are spot on - 41mm case is complemented by a 46.5mm lug to lug and 20mm lug width, very similar to the Sub dimensions and it wears really well. The case has an angular profile that makes it wear really slim on wrist.

The dial has the ribbed effect, with faceted indices and a couple of subtle yellow splashes to liven it up. I think the dial, case size and shape combo make it aesthetically pleasing while being rugged at the same time.

All the other features are spot on - the crown is a good size, easy to use with positivity. The bezel action is fantastic. The lume is dual colour for added orientation - ice blue mostly with a dash of green, looks really nice and more importantly lasts for ages.

The presence of a cyclops often divides opinion, but for me they’re fine on a sports watch like this provided they actually work, and this one has really strong magnification. I had a TAG years ago and I have to say they have massively improved their bracelet and clasp game. The bracelet is super supple and comfy, and the clasp is really well done.

You’ve got 300m water resistance and inside is an ETA 2824 which must’ve been well regulated as mine is running at -1.8 secs per day.

Any criticisms? Well supposedly these have a plastic, rather than SS movement spacer inside. Some say this is good as it makes the watch lighter and plastic is more shock absorbent, some say it’s merely a cost cutting exercise. For me it’s academic as I have no intention of opening the watch up.

The bracelet links are pinned, not screwed. Some prefer screws as they are easier to size, but again for me it’s not essential - you do it once and it’s done, and some would say pins are more secure. Whilst the clasp is very nice, and does have a divers extension as you’d expect, I think the cherry on the cake would have been a non-tool micro adjust.

I’d say these are minor quibbles and do not impact my enjoyment of the watch at all. It’s common knowledge you can usually negotiate a discount on a TAG, these RRP at 1800 but I got mine for 1450 and I think at that range it’s an excellent option - handsome, well proportioned, reliable, tough. I think this line of watches really deserves more love within its genre than they seem to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davidj54; 20th October 2020 at 14:57.

Journeyman
    Very concise review .I love Tag , I have the GMT aquaracer , a 2006 Indy 500 chrono and a 2018 formula 1 chrono. All great watches that I can’t fault in anyway for their price range. And all get a lot more compliments from others than my Rolex does.

Master
    I think that’s a belting watch for the money. I tried a White dial on at Xmas and was very impressed.
    I’ve said it before, nowt wrong with a Tag !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Love this watch...

...Currently keeping an eye in the usual places for one to come at the right price in the right condition.

You know the score LOL :)

Journeyman
    I've got the older model, and like you said, it's a beast and well build. Sits well on the wrist, plus I love the yacht-deck style dial! It's a got an Aqua Terra/Nautilus type vibe.

One of my most versatile watches - plus as they're less expensive than my Omegas, I don't baby it nor fret too much when bashing it around.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darklel View Post
    I've got the older model, and like you said, it's a beast and well build. Sits well on the wrist, plus I love the yacht-deck style dial! It's a got an Aqua Terra/Nautilus type vibe.

One of my most versatile watches - plus as they're less expensive than my Omegas, I don't baby it nor fret too much when bashing it around.

Snap. But in the blue. Bought very recently second-hand. A good, robust, versatile daily wearer that I’m not precious about.

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Snap. But in the blue. Bought very recently second-hand. A good, robust, versatile daily wearer that I’m not precious about.

That blue is tasty. My feeling is the same, it hasn’t been bought to be babied, it’s already got some action under its belt with plenty more ahead, just a really well built, handsome but rugged sports watch that I’m feeling offers a lot in its price bracket. Which is why it bemuses me that these don’t get discussed as much when people ask about sub £2k divers, and when they do the inevitable TAG snobbery rears it’s head.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    That blue is tasty. My feeling is the same, it hasn’t been bought to be babied, it’s already got some action under its belt with plenty more ahead, just a really well built, handsome but rugged sports watch that I’m feeling offers a lot in its price bracket. Which is why it bemuses me that these don’t get discussed as much when people ask about sub £2k divers, and when they do the inevitable TAG snobbery rears it’s head.
    I agree, more discussion would be nice. The TAG snobbery is a shame, as tag pulled their socks up recently and produce fine timepieces, and if people complain about their excessive marketing or a plastic spacer (which has pros and cons) then it's minor in comparison.

What's more, they can be found for an absolute bargain second hand, which doesn't get mentioned enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Darklel View Post
    ...a plastic spacer
    Always good to mention the delrin brake at this point.