closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Solid gold sub, PX BLNR?

Craftsman

Solid gold sub, PX BLNR?

Tried the new one on at an AD this weekend. Absolutely love the black face one.

But on the grey market I can get into the maxi case almost new for £26k, instead of £30k (new model)

But to make the purchase cheaper I have a BLNR fully stickered from the back end of 2018 that I’ve never worn.

But I don’t know if that would be a silly move long term. I really can’t see me taking the stickers off the BLNR I would wear a Gold sub. Decisions decisions...

Last edited by forest172; 19th October 2020 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post

But on the grey market I can get into the maxi case almost new for £26k, instead of £30k (new model)

But to make the purchase cheaper I have a BLNR fully stickered from the back end of 2018 that I’ve never worn.

But I don’t know if that would be a silly move long term. But I really can’t see me taking the stickers off the BLNR but I would wear a Gold sub. Decisions decisions...
    Silly to have a stickered blnr that you admit you’ll never wear.
    Best to trade it for the gold sub you want.

How much are they offering you for the BLNR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d personally trade the BLNR. Your not wearing it.

Probably ditch the BLNR but it depends what they're offering you. Is that a dummy model in the picture? The time is at 10:10:31. Gold isn't my cup of tea but nice to see a black dial for a change. In YG you usually only see the blue dial.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Silly to have a stickered blnr that you admit you’ll never wear.
    Best to trade it for the gold sub you want.
    My wife’s opinion also. I almost wish the AD had ripped the stickers off like all my other watches. When they do that I wear the things

A very nice decision to have! The gold sub is a beautiful watch! I know what you mean about knowing that you won’t ever remove the stickers. With that in mind I’d take the profit from the BLNR now and get the sub to wear and enjoy! But be careful where you wear that beauty!!!

Craftsman
    Grey dealer with maxi case gold sub at £26k already offered £12k for my fully stickered BLNR against the gold sub

Grey dealer with maxi case gold sub at £26k already offered £12k for my fully stickered BLNR against the gold sub
    Seems a great offer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Probably ditch the BLNR but it depends what they're offering you. Is that a dummy model in the picture? The time is at 10:10:31. Gold isn't my cup of tea but nice to see a black dial for a change. In YG you usually only see the blue dial.
    Yeah dummy watch internally. Tried blue on also, but I feel that adds even more bling. So me the wife and the couple that also went with us all agreed black was the one. But a £4K saving on used isn’t to be knocked for the previous model. The changes they’ve made really are very small, I can live with the older model and the saving. If as new

Blue for reference

Last edited by forest172; 19th October 2020 at 21:57.

I think the change on the Subs is more pronounced on the no date so if going with PM (which only comes in date variant) you could probably go with the older and not notice much difference.

If you did go new it wouldn't hurt your spend. Something to think about if you have something else in your sights for later down the line.

Too many buts … I'm out

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Too many buts … I'm out
    You’re not wrong. Not enough ifs?

I would go with a preowned 116618LN and take the saving. The new model isn’t worth the extra £4K. I prefer the previous model anyway - it’s More of a chunk of gold! Haha.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd go new. At the minute, the old one seems current because everyone is used to it but in 5 years time, the older version will look it, the new model will still be current.

Also, I imagine that dropping £30K at your AD may help facilitate future, harder to get pieces, should you wish to down the line.

In terms of the BLNR, if you're not going to wear it, and selling it means you can afford / justify / placate the wife the gold sub that you really want, then do it. You'll probably look back in thirty years and think 'I could have made some money if I'd held onto that.' But you'll hopefully do so wearing the gold sub you've enjoyed for all that time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I'd go new. At the minute, the old one seems current because everyone is used to it but in 5 years time, the older version will look it, the new model will still be current.

Also, I imagine that dropping £30K at your AD may help facilitate future, harder to get pieces, should you wish to down the line.

In terms of the BLNR, if you're not going to wear it, and selling it means you can afford / justify / placate the wife the gold sub that you really want, then do it. You'll probably look back in thirty years and think 'I could have made some money if I'd held onto that.' But you'll hopefully do so wearing the gold sub you've enjoyed for all that time.
    I take this advice on board. The AD did say that a gold sub and a non date could possibly put together as a deal.

The black on gold looks spot on. The blue looks cheap to my eyes. Good decision to have for sure!

Blog Entries
    I wouldn’t have a watch that I didn’t wear, so the BLNR would be leaving.

I’d go for the new model. It’s a much nicer shape in my opinion although some prefer the wider lugs of the last model. Also it has the new movement fitted with 70 hour reserve.
    As others have said, in 5 years time it will still be the current model, and that spend would certainly help your standing at the AD which is no bad thing.
    Have you looked at a new model and tried one on?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My wife’s opinion also. I almost wish the AD had ripped the stickers off like all my other watches. When they do that I wear the things
    I don’t get the whole leaving stickers on and not wearing watches.
    I buy what I love and walk out of the store wearing it/them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I wouldn’t have a watch that I didn’t wear, so the BLNR would be leaving.

I’d go for the new model. It’s a much nicer shape in my opinion although some prefer the wider lugs of the last model. Also it has the new movement fitted with 70 hour reserve.
    As others have said, in 5 years time it will still be the current model, and that spend would certainly help your standing at the AD which is no bad thing.
    Have you looked at a new model and tried one on?
    I can see your point. The pictures are the new model

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    I don’t get the whole leaving stickers on and not wearing watches.
    I buy what I love and walk out of the store wearing it/them.
    I’m the same with all my other sports. But because the dealer left them on when they should have taken them off, I thought the likelihood of that happening ever again was slim. Then they discontinued the thing

I take this advice on board. The AD did say that a gold sub and a non date could possibly put together as a deal.
    I’ll bet they have a box full of non dates to offer as de facto discounts on the solid gold ones...
    But if you like the gold one, go for it. Black dial more subtle and therefore more desirable than blue imo.

I've done similar a couple of times mate, part-ex'ing harder to get SS models against a RG DD40 and a WG Sub'...

IMO go for the watch you really want, and more importantly, the watch you'll wear.

Edited to add:
    I'd certainly go for the newer model too, not only do I prefer the new case but even if it costs you £4k more from your AD, you could make that back on the next SS Sports model they aim your way if you decided to sell it....
    Last edited by spuds; 20th October 2020 at 08:36.

Craftsman
    Whilst I prefer to blue to the black...

There's something about the gold models that gives them an air of "parts bin special". I think it's how the colour of the bezel numerals and markers doesn't match the hour markers and hands.

Journeyman

But I don’t know if that would be a silly move long term. I really can’t see me taking the stickers off the BLNR I would wear a Gold sub. Decisions decisions...

Really like the black and gold. There was a good article on hodinkee recently about “the man with the golden sub”

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/br...the-golden-sub

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’d do it, although if they’re talking about bundling I’d be asking for something other than a sub non date. Then non date would be superfluous with this in the collection.

Blog Entries
    I can see your point. The pictures are the new model
    Doh, missed that they were pictures of the new model. ;-)

I’d still trade the BLNR and get the black and gold though. It’s a stunning watch and most will never get one.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.