closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a perfect watch?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I've got hundreds of watches including Rolexes but the watch I always lean towards is an Omega Seamaster my wife bought me many years ago.

Of course it has a sentimental attachment but the fact it is slim, stylish, feels just right and always tells the right time when I pick it up makes it my most worn watch.

A very underrated watch IMO.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    I’ve never owned the perfect watch. I’m rather picky though, and can usually find something about any watch I’d rather change.

High level requirements for my perfect watch would be :
    No numerals on the dial
    Date
    A dive type bezel to help protect the watch (I can be clumsy)
    Made of something heavier than titanium
    Not too thick
    No cyclops (though as my eyes get older this may change!)
    Must have micro adjust in the clasp as my wrist tends to change size through the seasons
    Mechanical automatic movement - I love other technology, especially Spring Drive of which I’ve had three, but my perfect watch would be mechanical

Of my previous and current watches I can easily rule out most for failing at at least one of the above, though don’t get me wrong, I love them all.

Rolex 16600 - tinny / rattly clasp
    GS Ti Diver - Not mechanical / automatic,
    Seiko MM600 SD - Not mechanical, too thick
    Patek 5711 - Easily damaged bezel, no micro adjust
    GS Snowflake - Not mechanical, easily damaged bezel, no micro adjust, rather lightweight
    Rolex 116600 - Comes very close, if I’m being very picky it’s a bit thick but apart from that it ticks all my boxes
    Seiko SKX007 - Probably hits most of my perfect watch criteria, but isn’t premium enough to be perfect

I think a current Sub date with no cyclops is the closest I can think of to my perfect watch, but the fun is in trying different watches!
    Omega Seamaster surely based on that criteria?
    No numerals on the dial✅
    Date✅
    A dive type bezel to help protect the watch (I can be clumsy)✅
    Made of something heavier than titanium✅
    Not too thick🤔
    No cyclops (though as my eyes get older this may change!)✅
    Must have micro adjust in the clasp as my wrist tends to change size through the seasons✅
    Mechanical automatic movement✅

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I've got hundreds of watches including Rolexes but the watch I always lean towards is an Omega Seamaster my wife bought me many years ago.

Of course it has a sentimental attachment but the fact it is slim, stylish, feels just right and always tells the right time when I pick it up makes it my most worn watch.

I've got a few more expensive watches, but this is also the watch I reach for on a daily basis. It simply feels good on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Omega Seamaster surely based on that criteria?
    No numerals on the dial✅
    Date✅
    A dive type bezel to help protect the watch (I can be clumsy)✅
    Made of something heavier than titanium✅
    Not too thick🤔
    No cyclops (though as my eyes get older this may change!)✅
    Must have micro adjust in the clasp as my wrist tends to change size through the seasons✅
    Mechanical automatic movement✅
    Not a bad suggestion, but the weird helium valve stops it being perfect. Also, I’d prefer a solid case back, I never look at the back of my watches and it would probably be a bit thinner.

That said, I’d love a Seamaster, I’m being deliberately picky as this thread is about the perfect watch.

Not a bad suggestion, but the weird helium valve stops it being perfect. Also, I’d prefer a solid case back, I never look at the back of my watches and it would probably be a bit thinner.

That said, I’d love a Seamaster, I’m being deliberately picky as this thread is about the perfect watch.
    I'm with you on pretty much all of your criteria. I went SLA023 because it's all of them (plus really well made) except it is tall (15.3mm), which I don't mind. I do look at it though and wonder if it were 4mm or so shorter it would be a genuine Submariner competitor at half the price. But when have Seiko ever done anything the conventional way?
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by scwazrh View Post
    Have you a SOTC post?
    Good grief no.

I'd be there for ever trying to photograph them all and write them up and I'm quite an idle person really.

You'll see plenty of them around these pages though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    A very underrated watch IMO.
    I am not sure you can consider it underrated. It deserves all the praise it get but considerable bandwidth is taken up by the appreciation of the watch here and elsewhere on a regular basis.

Master
    Smug as it sounds, I struggle to find fault with either of my two current daily wearers.

SBGV005 - the champagne-dialled GS quartz with the 44GS case. Proportions, dial composition, comfort and, of course, finishing are flawless imo. COVID-induced reduced office time means I have very limited need for what is quite a dressy watch, so this might be up for sale shortly , but that is no reflection on what is a perfect distillation of what GS does best.

SBGA231 - the titanium GS Spring Drive diver. Perhaps my girly wrists would slightly prefer a 1mm reduction in height but really there's nothing I feel the need to change. The titanium makes it exceptionally comfortable despite its size while the dial manages to be both interesting and extremely legible under all conditions. The bracelet and clasp aren't to everyone's taste but I like the slightly industrial look, which fits well with a dive watch, and the extendable clasp is the most practical of any I've seen or worn. Perfect or not, there's no other diver, at any price point, I would swap it for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I am not sure you can consider it underrated. It deserves all the praise it get but considerable bandwidth is taken up by the appreciation of the watch here and elsewhere on a regular basis.
    I was going to say exactly the same - a forum favourite if anything.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    16610 for me. Cant think of anything id change.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes it's only a (super) quartz watch but out of all my material possessions, this Breitling B-1 is the last thing I'd sell.

Does everything I need in a watch, and more, and harks back to a time when Breitling made true Instruments for Professionals and not fashion items of dubious quality and materials (check out the current plastic and rubber 'Endurance' series that I suspect is anything but !)

Sent from my OnePlus Nord using Tapatalk

This ticks all the boxes for me personally

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Yes it's only a (super) quartz watch but out of all my material possessions, this Breitling B-1 is the last thing I'd sell.

Does everything I need in a watch, and more, and harks back to a time when Breitling made true Instruments for Professionals and not fashion items of dubious quality and materials (check out the current plastic and rubber 'Endurance' series that I suspect is anything but !)

Sent from my OnePlus Nord using Tapatalk
    SUPER watch and well made photo!

Now that is lovely!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    My perfect watch is: the last one I bought (until another is bought), so presently:

Craftsman

the watch for everything

Master
    For me it'd have to be this:

Works well in both dressy and casual environments and has a sentimental attachment for me as well.
    As someone remarked above it'd be the last material thing I sold if things were bad and even then I'd avoid doing so by any means necessary.

Compared with many, I'm not picky, but I don't think any of my watches are perfect and I've not spotted any here either.

I love the Sinn Arktis, but the date wheel isn't colour matched to the dial and bezel is sharper than I'd prefer.

The Speedmaster is close, but the crown is often fiddly to wind.

My Cosmonaute is lovely, but a straight forward 806 would be easier to tell the time on.

And so it goes...

I'm sure, if you're honest, none of you really believe your watches are perfect. Maybe the closest you have found, for you, but not perfect full stop.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 22nd October 2020 at 18:59.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I'm one of those

Even if I could afford it I dont think that I would like to own one though - it would worry me too much regarding damage, accidental loss of theft

So I am more than happy with this

Cant think of any way it could be improved, though I dont have a problem with picking up a few more with dial variations

If it weren't for my ongoing bouts of themed watch collecting then I have little doubt it would be my 325 quid exit watch
    Looks nice on the perlon strap, nice choice

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    You’re right, it would be even better without a date. Even so it’s one of IWC’s finest, complete with JLC movement. I have the later XV model.
    I think this is closest to perfection, agree that without the date it would be even closer as per mark xi

Journeyman
    Attachment 18431
    This is my closest watch to perfect, if only it was an automatic and not Tritium I would wear every day.

Blog Entries

z
    Last edited by zelig; 25th October 2020 at 11:54.

Craftsman
    5712 for me. Slim case, well fitting bracelet, light and some interesting complications. Yes the bezel is a scratch magnet but watches are for wearing. Also just picked up a 1999 16713 which is truly lovely to wear even with a Rolex rattle bracelet.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a dozen or so "perfect" watches, whichever is most "perfect" at any given time will be on my wrist.
    F.T.F.A.

This is pretty bang on to me

Surprised no one has mentioned the current Sub (slimmer case profile & upgraded movement) makes it an easy 8/10 on most scores across the board. Guess the issue is getting one.

Or the new VC Overseas surely most be up there, price against I guess, and a white date window I always find annoying (match the dial).

In my small modest collection and past watches the BB58 hits pretty much all the bases for me. Sometimes I find the coin edge bezel visually not great and the gilt bezel markers (I'll hope these will fade overtime).

Quote Originally Posted by Crowsfoot View Post
    This is my closest watch to perfect, if only it was an automatic and not Tritium I would wear every day.
    The Hamilton is my favourite 6b, I don't mind the manual wind or tritium but I find the size a bit small for my wrist. It still gets lots of wear though.

For me it's my Tudor Pelagos. Ticks off all the "perfect watch" boxes for me in terms of 1) clean, sterile looks, 2) automatic, 3) date, 4) general tool-watch ruggedness

Next would have been the Sinn 556i but I've been a little disappointed by its power reserve, having to manually wind it on quiet, wfh days.

Another mentionable contender is the Speedbird PRS-23 that I used to have.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned the current Sub (slimmer case profile & upgraded movement) makes it an easy 8/10 on most scores across the board.
    I mentioned it, though I did say it would be perfect without a cyclops.

Craftsman
    The problem I have is what I would view as the perfect watch differs from day to day. That is part of the joy of having several watches. I can choose the one that feel right for my mood on the particular occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This offering from Eddie comes pretty close for me.

36mm
    Very comfortable on wrist
    100m WR with screw-down crown
    Sapphire Crystal with AR
    Antimagnetic
    Very legible
    Good lume
    Date
    Reliable and accurate movement
    All for £325

What more do I need in a watch?

The Seiko's Spring Drive are the most advanced watches today, calibre speaking. (According to Phillipe Dufour)
    apart from the price,... one of this would be my final choice!

Yea yea, it's a Rolex, how very predictable. But I don't care, this one is simply the dogs danglies and my favourite watch I've had the pleasure of owning by a considerable margin

Craftsman
    Occasionally I look at my modest selection and think “sod it, I’m selling the lot and keeping one” that one is a Ti Seiko Shogun.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    This for me is perfect.
    One of only 50, so unlikely to see another one out and about. The finish is very good and a perfect size.
    I can't take the credit for the picture, it is one of Howard's.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

It’s been perfect since 2009

My old Gen. 1 Rolex Explorer 39mm 214270. I stupidly sold it as a cash raiser. Regretted it ever since.

My Heuer 1153. First watch I ever bought. Can’t explain it but to me it’s perfect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z
    I haven't seen one as crisp and sharp as that. Is it unpolished?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    I haven't seen one as crisp and sharp as that. Is it unpolished?
    Thanks !
    It's in incredible condition for the age.
    Up close there are a few swirlies to be seen - but it looks unpolished to me.

z

Craftsman
    White dial VC Overseas is the closest I can think of to perfection. The only watch I've ever looked at where I can't come up with a single thing that's wrong with it.

In the unlikely event that I ever bought one though, I bet I'd find something to complain about almost immediately.

Subjective - init.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries

You could go for this one instead (for you Omega aficionados - spot the modification)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    You could go for this one instead (for you Omega aficionados - spot the modification)

Hands?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Hands?
    Bezel swap. From a “great white”. Those were the days when Omega made great, affordable, quality product - rather than endless variations on multiple themes.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 26th April 2021 at 10:53.

This is the perfect watch for ..... paragliding! (Casio G-Shock-GW-M5610-1ER)

Got this a few weeks ago and it hasn't been off my wrist since (except for fishing / swimming)

Seamaster 165.002 from 1968

Crown could be bigger / easier to wind but it's looks great and matches the rest of the watch. Also it's an automatic and fantastically accurate so there's no need to use the crown anyway.

If it was waterproof it would be ideal but that's the trade-off with vintage.

Case (size, shape, proportions etc) is perfect.

Dial is a sort of very dark slate grey with a slight and subtle metallic gunmetal sheen that shimmers when it moves in direct light. 4/5ths tool, 1/5th dress. Smart yet also casual. And very very cool.

But the lume! Speedmaster layout in vintage tritium aged to a creamy vanilla. Gorgeous.

Fuller write-up and extra pics here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...on-quot-c-1967

It's close but not quite perfect.

70 hour power reserve is genuinely brilliant. I've worn it for a few days, put away for few days and have been surprised a number of times that it's still running.

The size is perfect.

The look is perfect.

The lume is perfect.

The bracelet links are perfect.

But I'd prefer a smaller clasp, the 14060 version was slimmer and shorter. And it's too valuable for every day messing about. This is third Sub I've owned and was much more comfortable when they were worth 2-3k.

In conclusion, the perfect watch doesn't exist. If it did, it would be a 124060 sub, with an 39mm Explorer sized clasp, with glidelock, and an RRP of £3000, a used value of £2500, with free lifetime servicing.

The Explorer 114270 is pretty perfect in my opinion. Looking forward to getting the newest reference - fingers crossed

I have a PRS29, which is very close...

And I HOPE on sunday 4th, to be able to order a PRS25 gilt 36mm...
    ... also close to a perfect watch!

Timeless and elegant with exceptional finishing, in fact the only quibble I can manage is the price point puts it out of my reach.