closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a perfect watch?

Do you have a perfect watch?

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    Timeless
    I am not sure it is a desirable quality for a watch…
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

All the watches I own are perfect for me. Which one I wear depends on the situation in which I am wearing them as to their suitability for the circumstances and what I am doing at the time. From the cheapest Casio to a Rolex. It just depends.

Master
    There is......no......perfect watch.
    If there was we would all be wearing them

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

i cant afford a George Daniels watch, and im sure even those are not 100% perfect.

I wish the Seiko ‘Baby Willard’ and the SLA017 didn’t have that stupid diashield treatment on. Can’t refinish it because it’s a coating, rather than something integral

Grand Seiko deliberately don’t include it for this very reason, infuriating because otherwise I’d be happy to wear both/either daily

I also like quite a few vintage and ‘classic’ Rolexes, and have one, but I don’t wear it in London for fear of being mugged - so it’s pretty pointless given how often I’m there… make it invisible to others and they’d count
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 4th July 2021 at 16:55.

Master
    Well, yes, I have. I must have had over 50 different watches going through my hands, but there is one that has always been my favorite and most worn watch.

And it's the boring Rolex Submariner. For me it has so many things just right - the soft feel when you put it on, very reliable and accurate mechanism, it's hard wearing - no need to baby it. It's also a good size for me. Last but not least it's a bit of a sentimental piece for me when I was just started in business as an owner.

Journeyman
    Impossible to get a watch that ticks all the boxes but this one comes close for me.

Perfect watch

DSSD for me.

Andy

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    This is pretty darn perfect

Looks great, would look daft on my wrist but awesome watch

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    Timeless and elegant with exceptional finishing, in fact the only quibble I can manage is the price point puts it out of my reach.
    Ooh, that's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieTheBarber View Post

The Explorer 114270 is pretty perfect in my opinion. Looking forward to getting the newest reference - fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks good.

I've always fancied a 42mm (slightly slimmer, bigger dial) BP FF or indeed for my 16600 to be 42mm with wider bracelet (a slightly smaller version of the SD43) - either of these would be improvements for me, and could well get close to my perfect watch.

For those historical days ... those colours ... are the perfect choice.

Last edited by Jo Hande; 27th February 2022 at 13:52. Reason: edit

Favourite

It's the DSSD for me, I can do anything in it and wear it anywhere.
    This watch seems to polarise comments, mostly about the bracelet and the way it wears and fits on the wrist, the best approach is in taking time to size the bracelet as much as possible.
    Legible and easy to read at a glance.

Andy

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieTheBarber View Post

The Explorer 114270 is pretty perfect in my opinion. Looking forward to getting the newest reference - fingers crossed

Same for me! Also considering the new 124270, but also very happy with this

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    My perfect watch was my AP Triple Calendar 25807ST. The 38mm case was a perfect size, it had a decent weight, the functionality was so useful, I.e. day, date, month + time. Really regret selling it to fund a white gold day date 118239.

My 116520 is only used for the time, I've never used the chronograph function and I can't imagine I ever will!

Craftsman

My RN diver is perfect for me. It was almost perfect for me when I got it, however I needed a date function so returned it to CWC for them to fit the day/date dial from the SBS.
    Some may think it’s just a bastardised hybrid of a SBS/RN diver but this was never some issued rare piece. On a practical level, its robust, waterproof and flys under the radar. On an emotional level it’s from a British company who have genuine heritage and great customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    ... My RN diver is perfect for me. ...
    Very much my kind of watch that

Quote Originally Posted by BEZELBOY View Post
    DSSD for me.

Andy
    +1 and for me!

DSSD for me.

Andy
    In a "what's your favourite watch right now?" thread...................... you could be right.

BUT

The DSSD can never be the perfect watch - WAY too clunky.

The Stainless Submariner (classic shape, pre-2010?) fits the bill perfectly......................

Wear with jeans/T-shirt as comfortably as with shirt/tie - looks equally at home.

Going fishing or trekking? Don't bother changing it out

Want the classiest version? - Buy the non-date 14060M.

But if you insist on punting the DSSD as the perfect watch - Why is it better than the Breitling Avenger Seawolf?

Getting closer......

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    In a "what's your favourite watch right now?" thread...................... you could be right.

BUT

The Stainless Submariner (classic shape, pre-2010?) fits the bill perfectly......................

Wear with jeans/T-shirt as comfortably as with shirt/tie - looks equally at home.

But if you insist on punting the DSSD as the perfect watch - Why is it better than the Breitling Avenger Seawolf?
    The DSSD is never going to be the perfect watch for everybody - the size of it dictates you will need largish wrists, and there have been complaints about the bracelet and the height of it.
    I can and have worn it with a suit and under a shirt cuff, with t-shirt, swimming and even taken it scuba diving to 20-25m.
    It is better than a Seawolf because I think it looks better (I do have a Superocean) but that is my opinion and yours will differ as someone has already stated if there was that perfect watch we all would be wearing it!

Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post
    The DSSD is never going to be the perfect watch for everybody - the size of it dictates you will need largish wrists, and there have been complaints about the bracelet and the height of it.
    I can and have worn it with a suit and under a shirt cuff, with t-shirt, swimming and even taken it scuba diving to 20-25m.
    It is better than a Seawolf because I think it looks better (I do have a Superocean) but that is my opinion and yours will differ as someone has already stated if there was that perfect watch we all would be wearing it!
    They are wearing it - it's a Submariner...................

Sure - you have worn a DSSD under a shirt cuff, but let's be honest- most other watches would be more appropriate/suited.

When it comes to perfection, less is more. I must admit the Explorer is making a very good case for itself in this thread.

However my preference is for something a little more dressy.

Patek Philippe 3919

It's the DSSD for me, I can do anything in it and wear it anywhere.
    This watch seems to polarise comments, mostly about the bracelet and the way it wears and fits on the wrist, the best approach is in taking time to size the bracelet as much as possible.
    Legible and easy to read at a glance.

Andy
    Andy, I am with you 100%. I adore my DSSD and rate it over my old 214270 Explorer; which has gone stratospheric just because it was discontinued; do not get me wrong it is an epic watch, but the DSSD is on another level entirely, I adore it and can fully appreciate the endeavours of Rolex making their ultimate Sports watch.

Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post

Sure - you have worn a DSSD under a shirt cuff, but let's be honest- most other watches would be more appropriate/suited.
    Does everyone own a Submariner now? Damn... need to remember where I apparently left mine then, I had no idea I owned one!

To me, the Oyster Perpetual Date 15010 perfects the idea of a single do-it-all watch.

It has only one flaw: inflated price.

Craftsman

But the original question was ‘your’ perfect watch. The DSSD is a hefty watch to wear under a shirt cuff, but what if the wearer rarely wears a shirt cuff? The Submariner is arguably pretty close to being perfect, but for me, the cost (both rrp and the inflated used market) makes it an expensive luxury which is way to valuable to get damaged. It is also too well known as a luxury timepiece which doesn’t appeal to me. So yes, close to perfect for some, but far from perfect for me.

Why does Tapatalk delete my punctuation??
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 28th February 2022 at 11:07.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I find the Submariner perfect, but small for me.
    The DSSD I find perfect for me as I like a big watch.
    Perfection is perception based, there's no point arguing about it.
    Watches for me can be as appropriate as they like suited, but given that I never wear a suit bar weddings and funerals, it becomes an irrelevance that I wouldn't judge perfection on.

I wear my Subs a lot more than my DSSD.

Submariner could easily be the perfect watch but the DSSD is in many ways the ultimate watch.

Absolutely love it and have mine down as a lifer.

BUT

Because 'I' prefer it, though absolutely nothing wrong with the Avenger Seawolf either.

Andy

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

It's close but not quite perfect.

70 hour power reserve is genuinely brilliant. I've worn it for a few days, put away for few days and have been surprised a number of times that it's still running.

The size is perfect.

The look is perfect.

The lume is perfect.

The bracelet links are perfect.

But I'd prefer a smaller clasp, the 14060 version was slimmer and shorter. And it's too valuable for every day messing about. This is third Sub I've owned and was much more comfortable when they were worth 2-3k.

In conclusion, the perfect watch doesn't exist. If it did, it would be a 124060 sub, with an 39mm Explorer sized clasp, with glidelock, and an RRP of £3000, a used value of £2500, with free lifetime servicing.
    I think two forum members have now mentioned the issue of high value actually spoiling enjoyment (in this case ‘perfection’) and it’s really rung a bell with me. There is no question for me that I’m much more comfortable wearing watches that I don’t ‘worry about’. I had a ‘sought after’ Rolex and was forever drawing my wrist in as i walked close to door handles! And the more valuable it became the worse it got, until i put on my older Seamaster and immediately felt more comfortable again. That optimal ‘value’ will obviously vary for all of us but however ‘perfect’ an Aquanaut may be i doubt i could relax enough to appreciate it!

Journeyman

Another vote for the 16610 from me. It's from an era where Rolex got the sizing and proportions just right. As there's no such thing as perfect, I'd like a sturdier bracelet and better quality clasp. They're perfectly acceptable on a £2.5K watch (which is what I paid many years ago) but not when you compare it to watches of a similar value today.

The only things that have tainted it for me are the outside influences of security and value meaning I'm less lightly to reach for it on nights out or when I'm bashing about in the garage so it doesn't score well in versatility but that's not the watch's fault I guess. Lets not hijack this thread into a Rolex security and values rant but they are a factor for me now, as they seem to be for many others. Shame.

Master
    Not one, but two...

Last edited by Filterlab; 1st December 2023 at 00:31.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Every time I go back to the 114270 I’m reminded it’s pretty perfect and could be my only watch.

I wear the 58 a lot but this is really the one.

I’m on the list for a sub but I’m doubtful that will ever come so will never know if that would top the Explorer.

I think I must be pushing 100 watches that I’ve tried, some duplicates of the same and many of them fine watches but this, in my opinion is as close to perfect as I’ve found. So much so, I’ve sold a few others and am seriously considering selling the remaining few, the only real hankering I have now is for the 126610LV. That absolutely may change at any given moment though.

The few tweaks have made this just right, for me.
    Last edited by Craizeehair; 19th July 2022 at 23:34.

126610LV. No idea why but it just fits everything for me. No great fan of green, but it just works. Love it. I love the white gold blue bezel sub. 126619, I think. I really like Subs, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I think I must be pushing 100 watches that I’ve tried, some duplicates of the same and many of them fine watches but this, in my opinion is as close to perfect as I’ve found. So much so, I’ve sold a few others and am seriously selling the remaining few, the only real hankering I have now is for the 126610LV. That absolutely may change at any given moment though.
    Right there with you. It’s my number 1 worn watch by miles.

The two on my list to get are the LV and the Black SkyDweller but I think for a daily you just can’t beat the ND in the new 12- reference.

I think perfect depends on the situation.

A Cartier Santos for dress situations or a Panerai Luminor with a polo-shirt and jeans.

I think that's why most people have collections, and the Rolex Submariner is so popular as it's acceptable in so many situations... much like the old Land Rover Defender 90/110.

To answer your question directly, nope!

Craftsman
    Would have to be this

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    I think perfect depends on the situation.

A Cartier Santos for dress situations or a Panerai Luminor with a polo-shirt and jeans.

I think that's why most people have collections, and the Rolex Submariner is so popular as it's acceptable in so many situations... much like the old Land Rover Defender 90/110.

To answer your question directly, nope!
    Think you hit the nail on the head there. Maybe just maybe you solved one of my first world problems! Maybe a Santos, a Panerai and a ND Sub would be my perfect 3 watch collection plus my sentimental pieces of course!

Master
    Blog Entries
    As a fellow watch critic we always find fault with a piece.

Here’s my take

Rolex GMT BLNR for gmt/ travel.

Speedmaster for the chrono

Grand Seiko for formal ( SBGR 061)

Bremont MB3 Travel/ holiday/ beater/ work.

I need to sort the diver element.

Diver ( no date sub on the wish list on a nato) pref filled lugs

Journeyman
    For me, it has to be the humble Omega 2254.
    Slim, unpretentious, elegant, torch-like lume, timeless design with a military touch, and perfect for most occasions. My daily go-to.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Every time I buy a new watch, I think it’s the perfect one. This lasts until the next perfect watch comes along to displace it. This hobby of ours is an illness! Concurring with many others, the latest no-date submariner is the closest thing to perfect in my eyes. Versatility is what it does better than any other watch I own. Thinning the super case was a great move by Rolex too. In order for it to be perfect, I would still have preferred it at 40mm with a proportionately smaller dial and on the 20mm bracelet.

Since Dec 2022, I have the PRS25Gilt .

Half year later, this is still my favorite one!

Reliable, automatic, 100% readable, sapphire ... beautiful to watch!

For the moment ... my perfect watch!

Grand Master
    I think this works.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Can be worn with jeans and T-shirt through to suit and tie.
    Water resistance high enough for any recreational exercise.
    Quick set hour hand for travelling.
    Chronometer

Just enough quirks to stop it being bland
    Lovely movement decoration if you get bored of the front
    Looks great on any number of straps.

And, perhaps of least importance but still worth an intangible something:

A respected brand rich with history, who have been consistently making brilliant watches for decades.

Understated class. IMO, you can’t get better.

Craftsman
    My perfect watch should be with me in a few weeks. Then I'm out the game. This is the one I've been looking for since I begun my interest in watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a few that are perfect this is my favourite.

My zenith el primero defy 21, it has not been off my wrist in the last 4 years, it is a little beat up so could do with a polish at some point. It is not for everyone but I love it, plus most people have no idea what it is so even thought its big people don't tend to notice it.