closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a perfect watch?

Do you have a perfect watch?

Of course, no watch is perfect, at least not for everyone. Some people might look at a 1016 Explorer and see perfection, some will see a tiny little boring nothingness. Some people will see perfection in a Yachtmaster, normal people will hate it. Such is life, and such is the game of watch collecting.

Everything I have, there's one or two things I'd prefer were different. I wish my Black Bay and Radiomir were a couple of mm thinner. I wish the Explorer had a dab, even the tiniest hint, of anti-reflective stuff on the crystal. I wish my Monster had a decent movement. I wish my Speedbird didn't have a date window. I wish my CWC G10 was a couple of mm bigger. I wish the lugs on my Zenith were a couple of mm taller but lower in the case.

All annoyances that I can live with, and I love every one of those, but I cannot describe any of them as perfect. Have you got one that you can strap on, safe in the knowledge that you don't secretly hate it?

It's a good question. I've flipped watches on for being a few mm too small (36mm Ex I) or a few mm too big (Eterna Four-Hands). I've condemned watches for the tiniest defects (the MkI dialled D66, with it's lack of 5 minutes marks for the 30-min subdial!!).

I've had few perfect watches. My Vertex M100 is perfect, in my eyes. THe red at 12 puts some off, but the proportions are just right. I've said before - if you make a simple watch, it has to be right.

The titanium G-Shock 5000 is about right, too - I can't think of anything I'd change.

I haven't found the perfect watch either. I don't think one exists. I have favourites but even then there are always one or two things I'd change.

The SD43 is close to perfect for me but a monstrosity for others. I wish it had a thinner caseback and I wish it had the same clasp as the DSSD. I used to wish it didn't have a Cyclops but I think I like it now.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 23rd April 2021 at 21:57.

Journeyman
    I think most come with caveats. I love my 1016 but wish it wasn’t so damn important to keep it in good shape although I wear it a lot - I also wish that was still the Explorer they made. I wish my Seiko SLA033 ‘6105 8110 Willard’ limited edition from last year had the exact case shape and crown positioning of the original but again, I love it. I think it’s a toss up between my Sea Dweller 16600 or my 36mm Everest (which arrives tomorrow); the first I know I couldn’t improve and the latter I doubt I could improve even though I haven’t handled it yet. Actually, my Seiko Tuna SBBN031 is just right too.

SLA023 does it for me. Excellent build quality, excellent design, excellent movement and it glows all night like a torch. Yes, the bracelet leaves a lot to be desired (actually the bracelet is fine, the clasp is poor) but on an Erika's Original it's perfect. I've worn it every day since I bought it from MikeMS at the end of July.

"A man of little significance"

Close enough for me...

Yes SD43 and SD4k with DSSD close on the heels.

Yes, 2264 on a Nato.

Good enough quality but not too OTT.

Suits my character. Mid-range, dependable, accurate. Fairly common. Not too flashy. Did someone say boring? Damn cheek.

The Sewills Carmania.

Buy one in your 40's and the style will see you out ..............

Also - not so expensive that it will get nicked when you go in to a care home.

Last edited by blackal; 19th October 2020 at 21:48.

For me it’s the Grand Seiko SBGX261. 37mm, under 10mm, perfect size and to me also perfect design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the perfect watch exists
    The MM300 is close, I think the bracelet is poor compared to modern equivalents / rival brands but I think the clasp excellent... I have often thought it’s the only watch I need.

My CWC auto from 2012 has poor lume, if it were better it would be perfect for me.

The Heuer 1550SG is a lovely looking watch and would be my perfect Chronograph but the aluminium bezel is so easy to damage.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th October 2020 at 17:54.

I've owned 15 Rolexes and at the end of the day the steel Submariner Date is the best one.

Yeah... boring choice perhaps but can't help it... it's my all time #1 favorite and I wear it the most of my watches. Super comfortable and looks fantastic.

Master

I love the SLA017 as a great all rounder
    Comfortable wearing it wherever

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The SD43 is close to perfect for me ... I wish it had a thinner cashback and I wish it had the same clasp as the DSSD. I used to wish it didn't have a Cyclops but I think I like it now.
    Pretty much in the same boat. Lack of instant adjustability renders imperfect some other watches I love aesthetically, leaving the SD43 as consistently the most comfortable, though like you I wish it was a fraction slimmer; I was always pragmatic about the cyclops but have become more appreciative of it as the eyes age.

I have a watch I wanted 25 years ago. I like it, but it is not a parfect watch.

Master
    No, there’s always something. I’m not sure a perfect watch could even exist unless it’s made from something you can’t scratch, that looks as good as steel or white gold, with a movement that never needs servicing, and a seamless clasp that’s somehow micro-adjustable. The most you can hope is that a particular watch seems perfect for a moment in the right situation.

The nearest I have are the 16000 Datejust and 17000 Oysterquartz, their vintage quirks are part and parcel of what they are and there’s very little I’d change. The 16000 DJ is wearable in any situation, it’s just never wrong. The Grand Seiko SBGX061 also exudes faultlessness on the right day in the right light, though the dial looks better in the evening than the day and 38mm wouldn’t have hurt, so there’s always something. Finally my ‘67 Seiko Skyliner always strikes me as just right. Perhaps having GS on the dial would have been a bonus, but it’s affordability is part of its perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    The titanium G-Shock 5000 is about right, too - I can't think of anything I'd change.
    I can think of something I'd change... the price!

Master
    I keep coming back to the Datejust, which doesn’t make it perfect at all but the G-Shock GW-M5610 must come close and have one of them too.

I think the perfect watch is whatever I’m wearing at the time! My daily wearers are a bit marmite, Seiko Tuna, B&R instrument, so not really “perfect”, except to me on my wrist.

Both the 16610 and 16570 have an excellent balance of virtues, Sub is the iconic one, and the Explorer II the most comfortable. What stops them being perfect is that the damn things are too expensive to wear easily

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is pretty darn perfect

I have at least 5 different watches that I wouldn’t change a thing about:

16610LV
    SMP300
    G Shock 5000

others are close but I’d probably like to change something in some way.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    2254.50 (on bracelet) and '68 Moonwatch on well worn OEM croc & deployant. Wouldn't change anything on either of them.

Whilst on the bracelet no, now on the nato, yes!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Although I was always an admirer of Rolex, I've never been a fan boy, and owning one was never seen as an option. Somehow the stars aligned late last year, and I become the owner of a SubC. I have to say hand on heart, that there is not one thing I would want to change on it, and its about as perfect as a watch can be (to me)

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Whilst on the bracelet no, now on the nato, yes!

Loving that combination! Not seen it before, although I do like the OEM bracelet this looks great.

I'm lucky to consider two watches I have as near damn perfect in my opinion; my Planet Ocean gen 1 42 mm and Expl II Polar 39 mm. The PO gets a new lease of life for me every time I change the strap, currently on leather white stitching and the Expl to me is a classic - wouldn't change anything about either.

Chronograph with day/date - check
    Hardened-steel case - check
    100m WR - check
    Drilled lugs - check
    Sapphire crystal - check
    Fabulously ergonomic crown - check
    Reliable, serviceable movement - check
    Supreme legibility - check
    Strapwhore - check
    Refreshingly Bull****-free - check

I have pricier watches, smarter watches, watches that exceed it in every quantifiable way, but the Damasko DC57 is the watch I wear the most, the most versatile, the most useful and if I had to boil everything down to one watch, it'd be the one I kept.

Probably.

It's close to perfect, but if it really was the only watch I owned, then for the last 1% of OCD perfection I'd scale-up to an even-easier-to-read 43mm, add some Tritium tubes for all-night visibility, and, most heretically - a solar movement, so I'm not worrying that using it as I want to is harming the movement...

Got my coat, I'll see myself out...

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    100m WR - check
    Drilled lugs - check
    Sapphire crystal - check
    Strapwhore - check

I have pricier watches, smarter watches, watches that exceed it in every quantifiable way, but the Damasko DC57 is the watch I wear the most, the most versatile, the most useful and if I had to boil everything down to one watch, it'd be the one I kept.

Probably.

It's close to perfect, but if it really was the only watch I owned, then for the last 1% of OCD perfection I'd scale-up to an even-easier-to-read 43mm, add some Tritium tubes for all-night visibility, and, most heretically - a solar movement, so I'm not worrying that using it as I want to is harming the movement...

This damasko dc 57 is really nice. First time see this watch. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    100m WR - check
    Drilled lugs - check
    Sapphire crystal - check
    Strapwhore - check

Probably.

I’d show more interest in Damasko if they’d ditch the day/date combo. I much prefer no date watches, but I suppose I can tolerate a date feature. But adding the day feature is just rubbing my nose in it.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I haven't found the perfect watch either. I don't think one exists. I have favourites but even then there are always one or two things I'd change.

The SD43 is close to perfect for me but a monstrosity for others. I wish it had a thinner cashback and I wish it had the same clasp as the DSSD. I used to wish it didn't have a Cyclops but I think I like it now.
    Same for me but I love all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I’d show more interest in Damasko if they’d ditch the day/date combo. I much prefer no date watches, but I suppose I can tolerate a date feature. But adding the day feature is just rubbing my nose in it.
    My other Damasko:

Master
    My other Damasko:

That’s more like it! The only Damasko without a day or day/date feature. That’s definitely the pick of the litter for me. That or the Pilot A-13A as a reasonable alternative.

Mine is definitely my SD43 it’s big and bulky and bold and readable and it has a date..... took me a long time too find something I could wear to the pub the club the rave an the pool and the beach but this is most definitely it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think all of my watches have had something about them I’d rather they didn’t.

In terms of any watch made, I think a white dial AP RO 39 on bracelet is just about perfect.

I've had this long enough now not to worry about bashing it, which is an important part of enjoying a 'perfect' watch – the lack of fear wearing it – and it just fits and works for me …

The only niggle with it is I haven't had it pressure tested, but once I get it serviced and the 100m WR guaranteed, it will be 100%

Wouldn’t change anything in my old Heuer 1153. Perfect.

I’d be pretty happy with a vintage Daytona with screw-down pushers - that had passed a pressure test - and cost, say, five or ten thousand pounds.

Silver dial or Paul Newman, I’m not fussy.

Or something with Comex written on the dial, for the same sort of price.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 20th October 2020 at 00:39.

Blog Entries
    At the moment it's this one. (just beat the Exp II)

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Nope
    I would change something about everything I have, and have ever had.

The EZM1 needs a uni-directional bezel and pushers that work underwater.
    The A-13A needs a bezel and better lume
    The Siduna M3440 needs to be a bit slimmer and lighter with better lume.
    ZUZ Tutima needs a better bezel edge
    Tudor snowflake needs lume that works (this is a problem with all vintage stuff, the lume looks lovely but is useless)
    Pelagos is near, but the internal lug corners are too sharp
    etc etc etc

Part of the fun is the chase for perfection, even if it is never completely achieved

Dave

Master
    I'd like it more if it didn't have a date. So no, it's not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Nope
    I would change something about everything I have, and have ever had.

[...]

Part of the fun is the chase for perfection, even if it is never completely achieved

Dave
    ^^^ This

Talk of the "perfect watch" (one watch to rule them all) is dangerous sedition. We ALWAYS need more!

But for me the ones that come closest are Eddie's "Everest Explorer" (Time Factors PRS-25; although maybe it would look better with 18mm lugs? I don't know.) And another Smiths, the classic militrary-issued W10 (although you need an example with a good dial -- i.e. perfected aged tritium. And if it had an automatic movement and 18mm lugs rather than the awkward 17mm that hates 99% of bracelets)

I’ve never owned the perfect watch. I’m rather picky though, and can usually find something about any watch I’d rather change.

High level requirements for my perfect watch would be :
    No numerals on the dial
    Date
    A dive type bezel to help protect the watch (I can be clumsy)
    Made of something heavier than titanium
    Not too thick
    No cyclops (though as my eyes get older this may change!)
    Must have micro adjust in the clasp as my wrist tends to change size through the seasons
    Mechanical automatic movement - I love other technology, especially Spring Drive of which I’ve had three, but my perfect watch would be mechanical

Of my previous and current watches I can easily rule out most for failing at at least one of the above, though don’t get me wrong, I love them all.

Rolex 16600 - tinny / rattly clasp
    GS Ti Diver - Not mechanical / automatic,
    Seiko MM600 SD - Not mechanical, too thick
    Patek 5711 - Easily damaged bezel, no micro adjust
    GS Snowflake - Not mechanical, easily damaged bezel, no micro adjust, rather lightweight
    Rolex 116600 - Comes very close, if I’m being very picky it’s a bit thick but apart from that it ticks all my boxes
    Seiko SKX007 - Probably hits most of my perfect watch criteria, but isn’t premium enough to be perfect

I think a current Sub date with no cyclops is the closest I can think of to my perfect watch, but the fun is in trying different watches!

I've got hundreds of watches including Rolexes but the watch I always lean towards is an Omega Seamaster my wife bought me many years ago.

Of course it has a sentimental attachment but the fact it is slim, stylish, feels just right and always tells the right time when I pick it up makes it my most worn watch.

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

For me absolute comfort becomes top priority to allow consideration. I currently have two which I think for the category.

One has already been mentioned by Qatar-wol, the Ti metal G, which is rather brilliant.

Secondly is my new Ming 27.01 - just disappears on the wrist and has tons of visual style. Nothing I’d change about that. Incidentally both watches purchased this year, not sure what that says about my previous buying!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I've got hundreds of watches
    Have you a SOTC post?

Varies from person to person but for me my most recent acquisition - the Sinn556i, is as close to perfection as I’ve ever got. For my wrist size (6.75”) the proportions of 38.5mm case, 45mm lug-lug and 20mm lug width are the absolute sweet spot. Combine that with it’s toughness (anti magnetic, 200m WR etc), a movement that is running at +1.3 secs per day, drilled lugs, lovely H link bracket and an understated, under the radar but beautifully done clean, legible dial, with a subtle date window and I’m just about as close as I can get. Office clothes, sports wear, beach, jeans & tee, I’d wear this with anything and it would look spot on. Versatile for strap changes too. The only change I’d make is a slightly more refined clasp, but what you get still isn’t worth grumbling about.

I have 20 watches between 15 and 400€, but this 2 are my absolute favorites.
    SMITHS PRS 29 although remains NR 1.
    And for different occasions: a matching strap.
    So you have a complete different watch.

Blog Entries
    My perfect watch is: the last one I bought (until another is bought), so presently:

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th October 2020 at 21:07.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I'd like it more if it didn't have a date. So no, it's not perfect.

You’re right, it would be even better without a date. Even so it’s one of IWC’s finest, complete with JLC movement. I have the later XV model.

Master
    For me the sd43 comes closest to being perfect. I like the Cyclops, feel it is part of the Rolex DNA. If it had the DSSD clasp with the JC dial it would indeed be perfect. IMHO anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Polar Exp II 42mm... absolute perfection for me.

Breitling Chrono SuperOcean probably also ‘perfect’