closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 57

Thread: Veyron is dead - long live the Tuatara

  1. #1
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    37,423

    Veyron is dead - long live the Tuatara

    331mph average!.

    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  2. #2
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    9,839
    Itís impressive for sure

    Iíve never really understood the need for those kind of insane speeds tho. Not like you could ever use it. Guess Iím just not a petrolhead at heart.

    What impressed me most was at 331 mph the steering was absolutely rock solid

  3. #3
    Master Papa Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Not Edinburgh
    Posts
    5,592
    How does one pronounce that?

    Twat-a-rah?

  4. #4
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Twat-a-rah?
    Wasn't that one of the Thundercats?

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    1,555
    Staggering. Watching the video and the acceleration once he put his foot down at 200MPH (!) is amazing.

  6. #6
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Staggering. Watching the video and the acceleration once he put his foot down at 200MPH (!) is amazing.
    And when slowing he waiting till 200mph so it was Ďsafeí to take his hands off the wheel to fist pump

  7. #7
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    21,639
    The tyres are what amazes me the most. It was apparently the main limiting factor for the Bugatti.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  8. #8
    Master amnesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    2,808
    Blog Entries
    1
    Bad luck Christian von Koenigsegg... the Jesko will be 'just another hypercar' now

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Malvern
    Posts
    6,538
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Staggering. Watching the video and the acceleration once he put his foot down at 200MPH (!) is amazing.
    I had to rewind it, I looked up at around 200 for a couple of seconds, looked back and it was hitting 250. What a missile, I wonder if it corners like an American supercar?

  10. #10
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    17,111
    Amazing car but I prefer the looks of the Veyron.
    ďThe more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.Ē

  11. #11
    Grand Master GraniteQuarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    26,834
    At full tilt it'll run out of fuel in a few minutes! Be a fun ride though

  12. #12
    Master AlphaOmega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Trinovantum
    Posts
    9,655
    Reading the comments, it says the reason he doesn't give it the full beans until 200mph is to keep the turbos cooler.

    It would be good to understand how quickly everything wears out at 330mph. Tyres, petrol, engine...

  13. #13
    Master Skier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    2,252
    Wow, that's insane. That was a smooth piece of tarmac and it appeared so stable. 1750bhp!!!

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    355
    It is the car for the world as it is in 2020.

  15. #15
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    652
    Very impressive, especially considering the variance in budget between SSC and the likes of Bugatti and Koenigsegg. Now SSC just need to sell 20 odd cars to be able to claim the production car speed record.

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    1,555
    Read that the motor was assembled by Nelson Racing Engines.. which figures as they do some unbelievable work.

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    swansea uk
    Posts
    1,441
    Another one for the people who can afford such things out in the UAE

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,505
    More info here https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...p-speed-record

    Interesting that the drivers prep is just a mental calmness thing - which tbf sounds sensible. Also they are planning to make a lower power version for mere mortals

  19. #19
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    9,839

    Veyron is dead - long live the Tuatara

    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    More info here https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...p-speed-record

    Interesting that the drivers prep is just a mental calmness thing - which tbf sounds sensible. Also they are planning to make a lower power version for mere mortals
    Nvm. Edit to delete. Guess I should have read it

  20. #20
    Wasn't the Veyron already dead? Killed by the Chiron a few years ago?

  21. #21
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    24,285
    Impressive piece of engineering, but it does beg the question why?

    A better milestone these days might be 100mph, for 100 miles on one litre of fuel.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  22. #22
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    18,240
    Iíve always been a petrolhead, but I lost pretty much all interest in Hypercars post Veyron. That was pretty much the final word and full stop in the hypercar story in my view.

    Iím becoming increasingly interested in the astonishing performance offered by electric cars in the real world.

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Buckinghamshire, UK.
    Posts
    2,328
    I presume you mean the Chiron rather than Veyron. Either way I can't help feeling Bugatti will consider it as "challenge accepted". The last time an upstart company beat Bugatti it didn't take them long to respond and wipe the smiles from their faces. Even then, the Bugatti Chiron has the distinction of being the first production car to go through the 300mph barrier. And to me it's the better looking car. The Tuatara, while undeniably impressive, looks like a Ferrari F50 that's gone through a car wash and shrunk a bit. The Chiron has these swooping lines and that wonderful Art Deco C-curve that starts from just below the radiator grille, runs around the side, past the front wheels, up and over the side windows to connect with the bottom of the front windscreen. If you'd gone to one of the great coachbuilders of the 1930s - Chapron, Saoutchik, Figoni et Falaschi etc. and as an academic exercise asked them to design you a car that in 2020 would top the 300mph mark and carry you comfortably as it did so they would have designed something like the Chiron. It is perfection.

  24. #24
    Master pacifichrono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    5,728
    Bugatti's model names suck! Can't they think up a more exciting and appropriate moniker?

  25. #25
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    pride of the north
    Posts
    486
    As was mentioned previous, the steering wheel didn't even twitch. Must be one finely balanced machine

  26. #26
    Journeyman sickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    521
    Mental. Imagine hitting anything at that speed. Nice but just mental lol.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

  27. #27
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    18,240
    Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    I presume you mean the Chiron rather than Veyron. Either way I can't help feeling Bugatti will consider it as "challenge accepted". The last time an upstart company beat Bugatti it didn't take them long to respond and wipe the smiles from their faces. Even then, the Bugatti Chiron has the distinction of being the first production car to go through the 300mph barrier. And to me it's the better looking car. The Tuatara, while undeniably impressive, looks like a Ferrari F50 that's gone through a car wash and shrunk a bit. The Chiron has these swooping lines and that wonderful Art Deco C-curve that starts from just below the radiator grille, runs around the side, past the front wheels, up and over the side windows to connect with the bottom of the front windscreen. If you'd gone to one of the great coachbuilders of the 1930s - Chapron, Saoutchik, Figoni et Falaschi etc. and as an academic exercise asked them to design you a car that in 2020 would top the 300mph mark and carry you comfortably as it did so they would have designed something like the Chiron. It is perfection.

    No, I meant the Veyron. In my view the Chiron is really a Veyron Mark 2 - sure, even faster, with 50% more power, but it was the Veyron that was so far ahead of anything else, even the McLaren F1 which had been the benchmark for 13 years, that it presented the kind of leap that I don't think any car has since (including the Chiron - which is more an evolution whereas the Veyron was a revolution in hypercars).
    So clever my foot fell off.

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Buckinghamshire, UK.
    Posts
    2,328
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    No, I meant the Veyron. In my view the Chiron is really a Veyron Mark 2 - sure, even faster, with 50% more power, but it was the Veyron that was so far ahead of anything else, even the McLaren F1 which had been the benchmark for 13 years, that it presented the kind of leap that I don't think any car has since (including the Chiron - which is more an evolution whereas the Veyron was a revolution in hypercars).
    My post of "I presume you mean the Chiron" was directed to the OP, TFB. I can see why you thought it referred to your post as my post does immediately follow yours. But when I started writing that reply, the last post in this thread was that of Andyg at 18:22. Chalk it up to one of those curious coincidences that occasionally happens on the internet.

  29. #29
    Master earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The Flat Stuff, Lincs.
    Posts
    1,413
    It's a hugely impressive number in a Top Trumps sense, and a handsome car too - very much unlike modern VW-Bugattis. But aside from certain salt flats and deserts, where can you get anywhere near those sort of speeds? Accounts I've read of taking hypercars onto Autobahns suggests however good you and your car may be, other drivers moving at >100mph do not cope well with being passed at twice their ambient speed, never mind three times that. Guess it's irrelevant since they'll all disappear into private collection, only reappearing at occasional auctions.

    I'm glad someone's doing this barmy stuff, though. Seems like the internal combustion engine's going-out with a bang and not a whimper...

  30. #30
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    18,240
    Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    My post of "I presume you mean the Chiron" was directed to the OP, TFB. I can see why you thought it referred to your post as my post does immediately follow yours. But when I started writing that reply, the last post in this thread was that of Andyg at 18:22. Chalk it up to one of those curious coincidences that occasionally happens on the internet.
    So clever my foot fell off.

  31. #31
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    12,302
    That's impressive, but what is it like for clutch control in a traffic jam on the M25!

  32. #32
    Grand Master GraniteQuarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    26,834
    As there doesn't appear to be space for a golf bag (unlike the McLaren F1) I'll sadly have to pass.

  33. #33
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    18,240
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    As there doesn't appear to be space for a golf bag (unlike the McLaren F1) I'll sadly have to pass.

    A very good point.

    If I were to buy one of these, and my wife borrowed it to go to Waitrose or Aldi, I'd have to be convinced that it had sensors all round, reversing camera, and good visibilty, not to mention space for the weekly shop.

    As a result, I don't think that it is going to meet my requirements, and for similar reasons (ie there was no space for the dog or to mount a roof rack), I also rejected the Veyron when it came out.




    So clever my foot fell off.

  34. #34
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    12,854
    Insane!

  35. #35
    Master amnesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    2,808
    Blog Entries
    1
    Tim (Shmee150) is calling BS...



    Makes some very valid points around gear ratios, engine revs etc.

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Tim (Shmee150) is calling BS...



    Makes some very valid points around gear ratios, engine revs etc.
    You beat me to it - although it was different source that I read it from.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  37. #37
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    37,423
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Tim (Shmee150) is calling BS...

    Makes some very valid points around gear ratios, engine revs etc.
    Very interesting - clearly not what it originally claimed perhaps.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  38. #38
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    Shmee's analysis, and that of Misha & Robert is horribly flawed.

    Neither took account of the time fluctuations once 88 mph was achieved. Schoolboy error.

  39. #39
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    37,423
    Quote Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post
    Shmee's analysis, and that of Misha & Robert is horribly flawed.

    Neither took account of the time fluctuations once 88 mph was achieved. Schoolboy error.
    Would love to see this explained - I hope they did do it, but clearly some are casting doubts.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  40. #40
    Master AlphaOmega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Trinovantum
    Posts
    9,655
    Quote Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post
    Neither took account of the time fluctuations once 88 mph was achieved. Schoolboy error.
    I'm surprised they generated the necessary gigawatts to be honest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Would love to see this explained - I hope they did do it, but clearly some are casting doubts.
    My thinking:

    1. Isn't there a third party monitoring this by GPS?
    2. Why was the speedo blanked?

  41. #41
    Grand Master Foxy100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Die FuchsrŲhre
    Posts
    14,326
    "A man of little significance"

  42. #42
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    9,839

    Veyron is dead - long live the Tuatara

    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Tim (Shmee150) is calling BS...



    Makes some very valid points around gear ratios, engine revs etc.
    Tim appears a bit envious but I donít know why. Not sure his motive for discrediting it.

    Edit. Iím not an expert so canít really say whether his analysis is accurate or flawed

  43. #43
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    9,839
    Curious... does anyone know if thereís been a response from SSC?

  44. #44
    Master amnesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    2,808
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Curious... does anyone know if thereís been a response from SSC?
    Indeed there has...

    https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ssc...eo-accusations

    Sent from my OnePlus Nord using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    Grand Master GraniteQuarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    26,834
    And Bugatti not long with a response, albeit a track weapon (at first...)

    https://www.topgear.com/car-news/con...4bhp-track-car

    0 to 500kph in 20.16 secs jeeesus!

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Buckinghamshire, UK.
    Posts
    2,328
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    And Bugatti not long with a response, albeit a track weapon (at first...)

    https://www.topgear.com/car-news/con...4bhp-track-car

    0 to 500kph in 20.16 secs jeeesus!
    What did I say?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL Smout
    I can't help feeling Bugatti will consider it as "challenge accepted". The last time an upstart company beat Bugatti it didn't take them long to respond and wipe the smiles from their faces.
    And what a stunning response. It looks astonishing.

  47. #47
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Indeed there has...

    https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ssc...eo-accusations

    Sent from my OnePlus Nord using Tapatalk
    Interestingly Dewetron have also issued a statement disputing SSC version of events. Whilst SSC used Dewetron equipment Dewetron essentially say they can't verify the equipment was set up correctly and that they havent varied the speed run and distancing themself from SSC.

  48. #48
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    9,839
    Well if itís that good.....

    They can get Guinness, Dewetron et al down there and do it again to remove all doubt.

    Round 2 anyone?

  49. #49
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    9,839
    https://youtu.be/F13MrkZsl3c

    Dewetron completely distancing themselves from SSC. Stating they had nobody there to calibrate and set up the equipment and there is no way they would be willing to verify the accuracy if any data in this speed run.

    Looks like the house coming tumbling down

  50. #50
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    24,285
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    https://youtu.be/F13MrkZsl3c

    Dewetron completely distancing themselves from SSC. Stating they had nobody there to calibrate and set up the equipment and there is no way they would be willing to verify the accuracy if any data in this speed run.

    Looks like the house coming tumbling down
    Even with a 10% calibration error, the SSC still achieved over 300mph.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information