closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New in, a Dekla Pilot watch...

Craftsman

New in, a Dekla Pilot watch...

I've had a bit of an itch for a pilot watch that needed scratching.

I spent quite a while trying to decide between a type A or type B dial, and whether I wanted a sterile dial or not.

Whilst trying to decide, I saw a post about a German brand called Dekla. Their website offers a watch configurator, where you can choose from a number of options:

- Steel or bronze case.
    - Three case sizes (40mm, 42mm, 44mm).
    - Four case finishes (bead-blasted, polished, brushed, 6steel).
    - Two crown types (onion or diamond), on either the left or right side.
    - Three dial types (black, sunray blue, sandwich).
    - Two lume colours (old radium or BGW9).
    - Three hand types (heat blued, 14kt gold, black lacquered).
    - Sterile dial, or with logo.
    - Optional FL23883 engraving.
    - Automatic or hand wound movement (ETA or Selita).
    - Two strap colours (brown or black).

Eventually I decided on a sterile type A dial, in a 40mm bead-blasted case, with old radium lume, heat blued hands, and a manual winding movement. A fairly classic look!

After six weeks (longer than the 3-4 weeks quoted), the watch arrived this morning. The packaging is minimal, but nice:

40mm is the sweet spot for me in terms of case size, and this certainly fits very well. The case design is quite modern, compared to a Laco. It's certainly not trying to be a period correct watch. The leather strap is quite thick and has a very large buckle (not particularly period) and will definitely need some time to wear in.

The heat-blued hands are absolutely lovely. They look very blue, depending on the light and the angle with which you look at the watch. A really nice touch.

At just under €500, and with a wealth of options available, I'd definitely recommend the brand. We'll see how the watch performs over the next few weeks, but at the moment I'm really happy with the purchase!

Very nice indeed. I was looking at their site a little while ago and they look to be very good value if the quality is good.
    F.T.F.A.

Thats really nice, the blued hands especially.

It look's spot on. The hands look particularly good.
    Think I'll bookmark their website for a future purchase

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Thanks all. It's early days obviously, but so far I'm pretty pleased with the watch.

My watch came with a Selita 210 movement installed. If you choose the automatic option, you can pay a little extra to guarantee an ETA.

So far, the only negative is the strength of the lume. I had read that the old radium option wasn't as bright as the BGW9 option, and that's what I'm seeing.

From my browser history I see I have checked out their deck watch with Roman numerals -- a bit too large for me at 40mm all-dial, no bezel. It looks to me that they use the same cases for different models -- curious how this case compares to IWC Mk XVIII's (which I didn't like when I tried it on). Congrats on your acquisition and wear it in good health.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    It looks to me that they use the same cases for different models -- curious how this case compares to IWC Mk XVIII's (which I didn't like when I tried it on).
    I suspect your right about their cases. It would make sense to share the case shape, especially considering they offer lots of finishing options.

It’s quite a modern case design, compared to something like a Laco. I’ll try to take some photos of it.

I don’t have a XVIII to compare against unfortunately :)

No worries, I now checked the specs and the dimensional differences are telling. Dekla seems both thinner (10mm vs 11mm) and shorter in L2L (48mm vs 51mm) than IWC, which would mean a much better fit for me, at least in theory.

That's nice looking, I like the style.

I have a Laco...

Cheers,
    Neil.

That Dekla is a lovely looking watch in the metal! I've also been looking at them for a while, but have held-off as I believe a blue-dial option may be becoming available for the more contemporary-style "Turbulenz" model, so holding-out for now.

Did you opt for the standard stainless case, or their so-called "6-steel" hardened finish?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    That's nice looking, I like the style.

I have a Laco...

Nice!

I was definitely torn between the type A and type B dials. Maybe something to buy in future :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Did you opt for the standard stainless case, or their so-called "6-steel" hardened finish?
    Standard steel case.

I don't think I'll be wearing it in the sort of situations where the hardened case would be useful, but it sounds like an interesting feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    Standard steel case.

I don't think I'll be wearing it in the sort of situations where the hardened case would be useful, but it sounds like an interesting feature.
    Understood. It's something I obsess over a little; I'm a clumsy cnut (ana.).

It's good to see some IRL pics of the watch you went for - Dekla's website really does not do it justice.

Craftsman
    I'm very pleased with the time keeping so far from the Sellita SW210-1. After four days it's showing as -4 secs.

That's after wearing the watch each day since Monday, and placing it face up on the bedside table overnight.
    Last edited by Joppers; 23rd October 2020 at 12:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    I'm very pleased with the time keeping so far from the Sellita SW210-1. After four days it's showing as -4 secs.

That's after wearing the watch each day since Monday, and placing it face up on the bedside table overnight.
    Can't argue with that! Be interesting to see if it maintains this accuracy in the longer term (I've had 6R powered Seikos that were bang on at first then descended into minus 30 secs per day after a month or so). Anyway, thanks for the update.