closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Fortis GMT uses the Tudor movement

New Fortis GMT uses the Tudor movement

I only just spotted this at the weekend.
    It seems that Fortis is one of the first external (to the Rolex group) manufacturers given access to the Kenissi movements, in this particular case the movement from the Tudor BB GMT. So, as with the Tudor, it is a travellers' GMT, not an office one.
    It looks like a very nice watch, if a little large at 43mm, but light in titanium.

Photo courtesy of Hodinkee

But it is $4150, surely that is even richer than a BB GMT (official price is $100 less)?
    Anyhow, it seems that things are going full circle. Tudor was founded in order to use external proprietary movements in Rolex cases, now it seems that they are seling proprietary movements to external watchmakers.
    Dave

Quite a bold move from Fortis... there's got to be cheaper out there, this movement makes for an expensive Fortis and then there's the well-documented date change issue on top.

I had no idea Fortis were using Tudor movements. I really like to look of the new Fortis offerings, prices are a bit rich but if they are using 'higher quality' movements over ETA its does justify a cost increase in a way. - they are still very expensive though.
    Coincidently I am wearing my earlier Fortis GMT today for the first time in 6 / 8 months. I paid £350 for it new about 15 years ago. Its still a great watch with fantastic lume.

Thanks for posting - an interesting development, for sure. And you're right - the pricing seems to be sticking point here. It's likely to be a well made, and light!, watch, but it'll have to be, to tempt people away from more established manufacturers. Or even away from Sinn/Damasko.

Bold move indeed. Maybe they're relying on the inflated RRP to make discounts look more appealing?

Loving the titanium though.

I think it is a bold move too, but I can't help feeling this is a little late in the day when people like Mido are offering traveller GMTs with similar power reserve for so much less. The Ocean Star GMT is so much more compelling an offer for under 1/3rd of the price.
    Dave

I like Fortis and they are generally discounted a lot from the RRP, 43mm is too lumpy for me, for the choice I think I would search out a Glycine Airman 24 GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    New Fortis GMT uses the Tudor movement
    I'd be keeping that quiet if I was Fortis.

Craftsman
    “Jupp Philipp, the new owner, has a bold vision for the company, saying that he wants it to be compared to the likes of Tudor, Breitling, and IWC in the future.”

I imagine that statement includes placement in the market regarding price: something tells me Fortis are about to get more expensive across the board.

On the upside, it’s nice to hear about more traveller’s GMTs on the market although this one still comes back to the house of Tudor/Rolex in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I think it is a bold move too, but I can't help feeling this is a little late in the day when people like Mido are offering traveller GMTs with similar power reserve for so much less. The Ocean Star GMT is so much more compelling an offer for under 1/3rd of the price.
    Dave

Yep and that traveller GMT is appearing across the Swatch brands - Hamilton, Mido, Certina, Tissot...

Gets harder and harder to ask for a premium.

Also given their financial problems in near past, Fortis is not a brand I'd spend thousands with...

Is Fortis still independant or is it owned by a group?

I can understand it wanting to push itself into a wider market but that's a brave move on pricing. Plus, that case size is heading the wrong way for me. It looks like a cracking watch, but at 43mm is going to wear enormous on most wrists.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Is Fortis still independant or is it owned by a group?

Well, yes. The last time Fortis was mentioned on here was that they had gone into administration or more colloquially, gone bust, so I was slightly surprised to see a new Fortis, so what's happened to them?
    btw IMHO this new watch is hideous!

Master
    Good to see a travellers GMT in a titanium case and the price is not far removed from Seiko equivalent models. GMT is the same size as the Planet Ocean GMT. Interesting to see a 24 hour inner dIal and a 12 hr bezel. Not sure if I understand the logic...

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Well, yes. The last time Fortis was mentioned on here was that they had gone into administration or more colloquially, gone bust, so I was slightly surprised to see a new Fortis, so what's happened to them?
    btw IMHO this new watch is hideous!
    https://monochrome-watches.com/inter...ing-the-brand/

Although I never had any problems with it, out of all the movements released over the years, that GMT movement hasn’t been the one with the best PR.

Craftsman
    The same Kenissi GMT movement (assumed?) is also being used in the recently announced Norquain Freedom GMT.

Kenissi are clearly starting to push their movements beyond their shareholders brands.

Master
    Thanks. Fortis did/do make some great watches. I loved the line in that interview that 'Real Pilots wear Fortis watches' - does that mean if your pilot is wearing something cheap and trashy like a Rolex, then he/she's a fake pilot?

Master
    Norqain and channel are now using the kenissi movements as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I'd be keeping that quiet if I was Fortis.
    These are trying to.

Their website calls it the... “WERK 13
    Automatic, self-winding, GMT Manufacture Calibre.”

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    These are trying to.

Their website calls it the... “WERK 13
    Automatic, self-winding, GMT Manufacture Calibre.”
    Another IWC in the making. They should get them bought out by Richemont.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Norqain and channel are now using the kenissi movements as well...

Chanel are a shareholder in Kenissi

https://www.revolution.watch/hk/chan...h-manufacture/

Dave

Apprentice
    The movement probably costs customer brands a lot more than it does partner brands. Can’t be having customers out-compete on price for the same functionality.

Conjecture obvs :)
    Last edited by onemanintime; 20th October 2020 at 10:37. Reason: Grammar fail