closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jury service. A bit of a rant!

Jury service. A bit of a rant!

Earlier this month we received a letter addressed to my son (aged 18) requiring him to do jury service at the start of December.

We appealed on a number of grounds.

1) He is currently in his first term at university and this would impact his education.
    2) His university is over 100 miles away
    3) His university is in area which has a high Covid infection rate.

Our appeal was rejected.

I then rang them directly to again explain the situation, but was told he either had to attend (or face a summons and £1000 fine) or to change the date to some time in 2021 (which may or may not be accepted) In respect to Covid, they informed me, that my son should assume the Courts are open, but they would advise him of any changes with little or no notice.

Anyway, my son has decided to leave Uni two weeks early (we will collect him and his laundry) so he get home and do his duty (assuming of course they don’t cancel it). However I cannot help feeling that this a stupid for a number of reasons.

1) He is 18 - so not an idea candidate as a jury (in my view).
    2) It will directly impact his studies, irrespective that he is paying rent for rooms he is unable to use. Plus he will miss the end of term party.
    3) He will move from a high risk Convid zone to a low risk area, but will certainly not be social distancing.

I even offered to be his substitute because in 60 years neither me nor my wife have been selected for jury service, but alas not.

The only upside is that he will come home early and gain experience of British Courts/Legal system without being in the dock.

Still very annoying, but rant over.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Why acknowledge the letter?

Master
    I did jury service a few years ago. The case started on a Friday morning and had collapsed by the following Monday morning. A few years later I got another letter about jury selection. I just ignored it and nothing happened. If I’d been pulled up about it I’d have denied ever receiving the letter.

I do think that is rather ridiculous, particularly under the current circumstances.

I've never been asked to do jury service either (in my late 40's now). I presume it is simply a lottery?

I also agree that 18 is too young to be a juror in my opinion also. I don't know if there is anything else you can do though.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Did you ask for him to be excused from jury duty completely or did you ask for his date to be deferred?
    If it was the former then you got the answer expected. If you asked for a deferral then I’m very surprised you didn’t get one as I’ve never heard of it being refused.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I also agree that 18 is too young to be a juror in my opinion also. I don't know if there is anything else you can do though.
    I disagree. He can vote, he can serve in the Forces or the Police, there is no reason he can’t be a juror.

And yes, I believe it is randomised and that is also why Andy can’t replace him.

I am also surprised he couldn’t differ it though.

That said, the party excuse is a new low.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I disagree. He can vote, he can serve in the Forces or the Police, there is no reason he can’t be a juror.

I agree regards the age thing.

I missed the comment about the party. Ridiculous comment and if it was actually used as an excuse I hope it was laughed at.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Why acknowledge the letter?
    This. I’ve binned a few over the years and heard nothing more. Each to their own.

Blog Entries
    Learning new things here about the British Court and Justice system.

I shouldn't express my opinion being a foreigner, but with a 19 y/o son at the uni, I can relate to your situation. I think that your arguments are (from a father's point of view) are valid. Simple, I would pay the fine for him.

Again, my opinion is not an expression of what I think think about the Court system.

Menno

Yep.....the British justice system is SO inconvenient!!!
    Lets all just pay the fine, or not attend....WCPGW?

Master
    ...why Andy can’t replace him
    What a relief!

As an adult he can appeal for himself if he wanted to.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I’ve done it in the past. It’s an interesting way to realise how much money is wasted by cases coming to court to immediately fail due to lack of due diligence. I did lol at the time when the first prosecution witness immediately depth charged the case and the prosecutor just did not know what to do.

End of term party? Is it a 70s fancy dress theme... The Joy of Six?

Master
    I’m sure everyone has their own excuses. It’s inconvenient but no more than and possibly less than many busy professionals, parents or others with busy schedules.

I did jury service about 12 years ago. It was a pretty turgid affair. Had to go through X-ray machines to get in and out, then you go into a pool with all the other jurors, and they pick 12 of you for each case as they come up. You’re not allowed to leave the building once you’re in, they give you lunch tokens. You could in theory spend a fortnight there and not have your name pulled out of the hat. I sat around for 3 days reading my book (pre smartphone) and making small talk with fellow jurors
    then got called up on the Thursday, sat on a moderately interesting but fairly run of the mill affray and assault case (fight outside a pub) which was over by the next Monday afternoon. Sat around for a few more days before being sent home Thursday lunchtime and given the Friday off as by then they wouldn’t call us again as our two weeks were nearly up.

Some people will get a juicy case or spend the whole fortnight in court, but for most I think it’s not nearly as exciting as people imagine, you’re mostly just killing time waiting for a call - it’s like spending 2 weeks in an airport lounge!

My parents (in their 70s) have never been called up.

My partner and I about 6 times between us in 15 years

I was picked for a case that fell apart within a couple of hours. The accused and defendant left hand in hand and the sheriff then lectured the jury in the perils of drink and youth.

I've ignored the last couple of letters

Master
    He’s no more qualified than you or I. Good for him to get it done now. Pain in the arse for working professionals with families etc.
    I did my service about 5 years ago now. Just over 2 weeks! Majority of cases that pass the courts are of a sex offence nature (sure I read that some where) so it’s not enjoyable in the slightest. I was selected for a 6 week case which was a gang rape case which had video evidence.. luckily as I was walking to the jury’s bench a guy I went to school with who was a junior defence barrister at the time had to make the court aware and back I turned! ... then the next case, another sex offence in the form of a class room assistant grooming two boys, who were now two young men.
    Good friend of mine had to do it soon after me and he was done and dusted in a morning.

Check to see if there are any travel expenses allowances available, and state that the bus & train service are unavailable at 4am in the morning when he will need to set off to court for a 9am start, and do they want to have the receipts submitted for the 200-mile round trip by private taxi.
    I am sure there is an allowance available for public transport travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I even offered to be his substitute because in 60 years neither me nor my wife have been selected for jury service, but alas not.
    Andy - maybe they are unaware of your balanced and unbiased views on the significant problems affecting our society today.

Blog Entries
    Earlier this month we received a letter addressed to my son (aged 18) requiring him to do jury service at the start of December.

We appealed on a number of grounds.

1) He is currently in his first term at university and this would impact his education.

I'm sure a week or two at the most wouldn't be a game changer.

2) His university is over 100 miles away

2 or 3 hours away then.

3) His university is in area which has a high Covid infection rate.

Hardly surprising if there is a university in the area.

Our appeal was rejected.

I then rang them directly to again explain the situation, but was told he either had to attend (or face a summons and £1000 fine) or to change the date to some time in 2021 (which may or may not be accepted) In respect to Covid, they informed me, that my son should assume the Courts are open, but they would advise him of any changes with little or no notice.

Anyway, my son has decided to leave Uni two weeks early (we will collect him and his laundry) so he get home and do his duty (assuming of course they don’t cancel it). However I cannot help feeling that this a stupid for a number of reasons.

1) He is 18 - so not an idea candidate as a jury (in my view).

Jurors should be a mix of society, a younger viewpoint would be a plus.

2) It will directly impact his studies, irrespective that he is paying rent for rooms he is unable to use. Plus he will miss the end of term party.

A week or two probably at the most, and he stays with you so no extra cost involved.

3) He will move from a high risk Convid zone to a low risk area, but will certainly not be social distancing.

No doubt the courts will have social distancing measures in place. What he does outside that is up to him.

The only upside is that he will come home early and gain experience of British Courts/Legal system without being in the dock.

Still very annoying, but rant over.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 19th October 2020 at 07:10.

Master
    Pretty sure there won’t be an end of term party at his uni, or any other uni, for that matter.

Return a not guilty decision by post!

Forward the letter to Lewis Hamilton. He might oblige you with being his #1 superfan ??

Master
    In relation to the OP's point my comment is only that I think 18 is probably too young for most young people to be making potentially life changing decisions for others. I fully appreciate this is a very general statement and that some 18yr olds could be more than capable.

I'll never forget my jury experience at 49yrs of age. We were unable to reach a majority decision as 3 young ladies, early twenties, persistently refused to overlook basing their decision substantially on evidence which the judge specifically directed us to ignore. There really should be an IQ test to sit on a jury.

I’ve done JS twice and agree with most of your points
    Only comment I’d make is that despite his lack of life experience at 18 I’ll bet he’s got more common sense than some of the utter retards I’ve encountered on juries.

And yes, I believe it is randomised and that is also why Andy can’t replace him.

I am also surprised he couldn’t differ it though.

It wasn’t used as an excuse.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Learning new things here about the British Court and Justice system.

I shouldn't express my opinion being a foreigner, but with a 19 y/o son at the uni, I can relate to your situation. I think that your arguments are (from a father's point of view) are valid. Simple, I would pay the fine for him.

Again, my opinion is not an expression of what I think think about the Court system.

Menno
    I would happily pay, however the summons would be against my son.

Friedrich Nietzsche

It wasn’t used as an excuse.
    I have no doubt that you had the sense to avoid mentioning it in your request, but it was used by you here, albeit as a minor point.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Pretty sure there won’t be an end of term party at his uni, or any other uni, for that matter.
    Point missed I feel. He has already missed out on Freshers, he will continue to pay £156/week for his room whilst doing jury service, he will miss out on any activities the university, room mates, etc plan in the run up to Christmas through no fault of his own, simply because the Jury service are not prepared to delay his call up until his education is finished. They will after all have another 60 years (hopefully) to call him up.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Isn't the correct TZ-UK answer:

Clearly a snowflake who needs to get his dad to ring up for him. I blame the parents. Back in my day we would have done jury service but it's all human rights now - I blame the EU.

It’s called doing your duty. It’s not ‘at your convenience’.
    If it had been during the summer holidays you would still be moaning that it spoiling his hard earned fun.

Point missed I feel. He has already missed out on Freshers, he will continue to pay £156/week for his room whilst doing jury service, he will miss out on any activities the university, room mates, etc plan in the run up to Christmas through no fault of his own, simply because the Jury service are not prepared to delay his call up until his education is finished. They will after all have another 60 years (hopefully) to call him up.
    You haven’t clarified yet whether you attempted to get his jury service cancelled altogether or have asked for it to be deferred.

bad luck, i have never been asked.

i would imagine many people have a sudden illness on jury day and phone in sick

Jury's should be made up of a cross-section of adult society. I wouldn't want a jury of twelve 18 year olds but one on the panel will provide balance to some of the old duffers.

So sorry he can't make the party.

I did jury service about 10 years ago, at the same time I was doing my MBA whilst working. It was perfect for me, I spent 2 weeks in a quiet room doing my coursework whilst getting paid from work! I did 2 cases, 1 was a fight and the other a dreadful child abuse case from the 60's. The guy was found guilty but was in his 80's at the time.

We never had to stay overnight and the worse thing is we left the same way the public did, which I thought was a tad risky. The defendant in the assault case family clearly saw us all sat in the jury box then we had to walk past them outside as we left!

Some aspects were a total farce, if it wasn't for my coursework sitting around idle for 2 weeks would have been painful. When we broke to deliberate for the assault case, one of the guy's jury service was due to end but he wanted to stay longer so just kept disagreeing with us all so the case ran into the next day. I did get called 1 hour before the end of my final day but I just explained to the judge that I had a wedding to attend the following day and he let me leave.

I did defer the first request then got called again shortly afterwards.

Makes no sense for your son to be called especially when he is 100 miles away!

I don’t think anyone has opened the letter informing them they’ve been selected for Jury Service and thought “Yippee!”.
    When I did mine it was in the summer, in a lovely part of England, I met some very nice people and I never actually got picked to sit on a jury. I remember going back to work a fortnight after with a nice tan.
    A bit like going to university without the party at the end.

Blog Entries
    Agree with most points you made Andy - other point 1 - jurors need to represent the whole of your society…. I’m sure he’ll offer some good insight

I suppose at least he can use it as a leaning experience

Maybe he could do his online studies, when he’s sat around waiting for things to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    You haven’t clarified yet whether you attempted to get his jury service cancelled altogether or have asked for it to be deferred.
    We asked for it to be delayed until after his Uni (so 2024), but that was considered to long. I did suggest to my son that he asked for a deferment until the summer holiday, but he rightly said that would prevent him from sorting a summer holiday/job without having fixed dates for his jury service. Hence decided to get it over and done with now.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Most people would have to pay rent/mortgage whilst doing jury service.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Alternative view..... why don’t we all do our civic duty, awkward and irritating as it may be. I did it and hated it, but it was a duty to which I am liable for as a British Citizen.

Sorry, it’s a suck it up situation.

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    Alternative view..... why don’t we all do our civic duty, awkward and irritating as it may be. I did it and hated it, but it was a duty to which I am liable for as a British Citizen.

Sorry, it’s a suck it up situation.
    Not so alternative, judging by this thread.

I did it at 18. I enjoyed it, and felt I contributed to the process as much as anyone.
    Everyone should do it. Being at uni was no excuse for me either, and it shouldn't be for anyone else.

Missed freshers week”, “Will miss end of term party”........... they read whiny.

I got jury duty request, but despite thinking - “this could be interesting”. Asked to be excused on the basis of being self-employed and having to commit (or not) to random work offshore and could cost work/revenue of 3-4 weeks quite easily, for even a 2 day trial.

I wonder if ‘celebrities’ or perceived ‘celebrities’ get an automatic ‘out’?

As an aside, I've always fancied doing jury service but never been selected. This despite the fact that everyone I know who's done it tells me it's either mind-numbingly boring or harrowing with nothing in between.

I did however nearly appear as a witness for the defence for someone who I was 99% sure was guilty as charged. His defence involved a number of different elements including the fact that 'person X did action Y on date Z'. That was what I was witness to and pretty much the only link in the defence chain that was true. I got a couple of days off work, train fare, and a night in a hotel (and a night out with some old mates where I used to live (though i paid for it myself)). Then the case collapsed (on a technicality relating to his arrest) before I was called so we all had a pint and I got an early train home.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Isn't the correct TZ-UK answer:

Clearly a snowflake who needs to get his dad to ring up for him. I blame the parents. Back in my day we would have done jury service but it's all human rights now - I blame the EU.
    To which could be added: if you don't like the laws in this country then leave.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I wonder if ‘celebrities’ or perceived ‘celebrities’ get an automatic ‘out’?
    I would think so, to avoid bringing undue attention to the case, and be a distraction to the process.

Master
    Several thoughts;

1) Definitely inconvenient and annoying for the OP’s son; agreed

2) it’s his civic duty, so he should do it and not try to wriggle out

3) it’s actually quite interesting (I’ve done it once. Rape case and assault case. Got to be the foreman too)

4) 18 is too young these days. 18 year olds back in the 1940’s and especially earlier, for example, were very different and grew up faster, maturing more rapidly by necessity. 18 year old these days (including myself and my friends when we were 18) don’t for the most part have the maturity or life experience to be making such decisions, and are likely simply to be lead and persuaded by the older jurors).

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    4) 18 is too young these days. 18 year olds back in the 1940’s and especially earlier, for example, were very different and grew up faster, maturing more rapidly by necessity. 18 year old these days (including myself and my friends when we were 18) don’t for the most part have the maturity or life experience to be making such decisions, and are likely simply to be lead and persuaded by the older jurors).
    You could also argue that he is likely to dissent just because.
    Again, if he is old enough to vote to contribute to the choice of our government (regardless of what his elders may say to persuade him to vote differently), if he is old enough to die for his country, and if he is old enough to arrest you because you're tired and emotional, he is old enough to listen to the arguments from the prosecution and from the defence, to assess the evidence, to listen to the judge's instructions and to come up with his verdict.

Master
    You could also argue that he is likely to dissent just because.
    Again, if he is old enough to vote to contribute to the choice of our government (regardless of what his elders may say to persuade him to vote differently), if he is old enough to die for his country, and if he is old enough to arrest you because you're tired and emotional, he is old enough to listen to the arguments from the prosecution and from the defence, to assess the evidence, to listen to the judge's instructions and to come up with his verdict.
    I don’t think most modern 18 year olds are capable of any of those things. But that’s a different discussion.