closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: Historic Watches on display at Oxford Museum Exhibition

  1. #1

    Historic Watches on display at Oxford Museum Exhibition

    "There's an interesting vintage watch exhibition at Oxford University's History of Science Museum. Here is a story from the Telegraph this weekend:

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...are-due-covid/

    And here is Vacheron's press release (they and Frodsham are loaning some treasures):

    https://presslounge.vacheron-constan...elebrate-time/

    The exhibition moves to the Explorers' Club in NYC next, then Geneva."

    More info here: https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/show...tories-invited!

  2. #2
    Thanks Olli. I think I might pop in tomorrow.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Thanks Olli. I think I might pop in tomorrow.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think it starts next Monday (26th). But if you fancy a pint of Old Hooky on the Mon or Tues I'll be around.

    I'm hoping that my recent acquisition will be included in the exhibition

    This one: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...2-Watch-(CTAE)

  4. #4
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,051
    Excellent. It would be rude not to, vicar.

    I'll try to call in on the Monday or Tuesday. I'll wear a tatty old J. W. Benson so that you can recognise me.
    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  5. #5
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    122
    Thanks very much for sharing this. That looks great and we will definitely try to go.

    If anyone makes it in the next few weeks please do let us know how it is!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    "There's an interesting vintage watch exhibition at Oxford University's History of Science Museum. Here is a story from the Telegraph this weekend:

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...are-due-covid/

    And here is Vacheron's press release (they and Frodsham are loaning some treasures):

    https://presslounge.vacheron-constan...elebrate-time/

    The exhibition moves to the Explorers' Club in NYC next, then Geneva."

    More info here: https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/show...tories-invited!



    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Excellent. It would be rude not to, vicar.

    I'll try to call in on the Monday or Tuesday. I'll wear a tatty old J. W. Benson so that you can recognise me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYI38iwk4Y4

  7. #7
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  8. #8
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    16
    And I even have that week off work. Will have to head up and have a look... as long as we're still allowed!

  9. #9
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,616
    Thanks Rev-O. I have something to say about this thread but I will make a separate post.
    New Rolex adage: The customer is always wrong!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Thanks Rev-O. I have something to say about this thread but I will make a separate post.
    Well that's intriguing. I await your post with interest.

  11. #11
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Well that's intriguing. I await your post with interest.
    Do you see a 1903 watch?
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...92s-watch-1903
    New Rolex adage: The customer is always wrong!

  12. #12
    OK, I should be there from about 12 noon on Monday.

    Anyone else up for a tz-uk f2f?

    Can also be there Tuesday morning as well or instead.

    PM me if you're interested and I'll reply with my contact details.
    Last edited by Rev-O; 21st October 2020 at 21:01. Reason: added info

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,186
    I'm a bit puzzled by this. I can't find any reference to it on the museum's website -

    https://www.hsm.ox.ac.uk/

    - which makes me wonder if it will be there from 26 October. Might be an idea for people to check before committing.

    The exhibitions and displays page @

    https://www.hsm.ox.ac.uk/current-exh...s-and-displays

    includes future displays but it's not among them.

    OTOH the Institute of Digital Archaeology's page @

    http://digitalarchaeology.org.uk/our-purpose

    does mention the exhibit - and says it's opening on 19 October, i.e. already.

    I've emailed the Museum for clarification and will report back.

  14. #14
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I'm a bit puzzled by this. I can't find any reference to it on the museum's website -

    https://www.hsm.ox.ac.uk/

    - which makes me wonder if it will be there from 26 October. Might be an idea for people to check before committing.

    The exhibitions and displays page @

    https://www.hsm.ox.ac.uk/current-exh...s-and-displays

    includes future displays but it's not among them.

    OTOH the Institute of Digital Archaeology's page @

    http://digitalarchaeology.org.uk/our-purpose

    does mention the exhibit - and says it's opening on 19 October, i.e. already.

    I've emailed the Museum for clarification and will report back.
    It's oddly absent from the HSM website but it is mentioned several times on the DA Twitter feed, e.g. https://twitter.com/DigiArchaeo/stat...50894604640256

    Edit - the opening date is variously given as 17, 19 and 26 October so who knows?
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 22nd October 2020 at 00:06.
    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,186
    They reply:

    'Thank you for your email, the exhibition opens on 27 October. We should soon have reference to it on our website so do look out for that.'

    There you go. Don't go on Monday!

  16. #16
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    They reply:

    'Thank you for your email, the exhibition opens on 27 October. We should soon have reference to it on our website so do look out for that.'

    There you go. Don't go on Monday!
    Brilliant, thanks.

  17. #17
    Thanks Tom.

    Really looking forward to this, some interesting pieces.

    See you next Tuesday (?!)

    PM me if you want to meet up; I'll be around till about 2 or 3pm

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    4,569
    Having just returned from Spain I am having to self isolate until Sunday 1st November.

    I was hoping to meeting up with Curta and then take him down to a local pub where we could both get sloshed out of our heads as he regularly implies is my normal ex pat appalling behaviour.

    Does anyone know, it it still open on or after the !st.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Having just returned from Spain I am having to self isolate until Sunday 1st November.

    I was hoping to meeting up with Curta and then take him down to a local pub where we could both get sloshed out of our heads as he regularly implies is my normal ex pat appalling behaviour.

    Does anyone know, it it still open on or after the !st.
    I'll try and find out. I'm in contact with Roger Michel who is organising it.

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,186
    I'm certain it will be. The earlier releases said it was on till mid-December.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    4,569
    Ah That is good. Thanks for the info.

  22. #22
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,616


    This is a message for those that are going to the exhibition. If possible can you take some pics of the "Vacheron Constantin aviatorís watch 1903"? Do whatever you can to give us some other views from the face-on ones already posted. Thanking you in advance.

    This is in reference to the thread below:

    Vacheron Constantin aviatorís watch 1903 ???
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...92s-watch-1903
    New Rolex adage: The customer is always wrong!

  23. #23
    could it be a re-case? The strap seems not to be and it maybe that the case isn't either.

  24. #24
    Looks like it might not open on Monday as intended but should be up and running by Tuesday.

    (Some personnel and logistical issues are delaying things but not insurmountably.)

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    2,440
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks for posting OP, going to try and make it over

  26. #26
    I'll be there until mid afternoon on Tuesday if any forum members want to meet up.

    Some really interesting pieces on display.

    PM me for my contact details.

  27. #27
    Iím also having to isolate, so wonít be able to meet up Olli. Apologies.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Iím also having to isolate, so wonít be able to meet up Olli. Apologies.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    :-(

    hope you're ok

  29. #29
    All fine thanks. Short overseas trip became quarantine instead. Our European cousins taking swift action on anyone flying in from the UK.

  30. #30
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,051
    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  31. #31
    I went yesterday with Mr Curta and a good time was had by all.

    The exhibition is excellent and well worth a visit

  32. #32
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,051
    I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the exhibitors and museum staff for making our visit yesterday so interesting, entertaining and inspiring.

    Here are a few photographs that I snapped of the display.
























    The History of Science Museum is fabulous, absolutely packed full of treasures such as The Einstein Blackboard with his chalked lecture notes looking as fresh today as they did in 1931, and original parts of Babbage's Difference Engine.








    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  33. #33
    Mr Curta it was nice to meet you "irl" as the kids say. I think I'll call you Mr Cutie from now on!

    Can you (or I) put that post on the mwr thread as well? It deserves a wider audience.

    Cheers

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the exhibitors and museum staff for making our visit yesterday so interesting, entertaining and inspiring.
    An an "exhibitor" I can think of one way you can repay the "huge debt of gratitude". *cough* Benson *cough*

  35. #35
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    An an "exhibitor" I can think of one way you can repay the "huge debt of gratitude". *cough* Benson *cough*
    Don't push your luck, I'll bring Ferrero Rocher next time.
    My old clock used to tell the time and subdivide diurnity; but now it's lost both hands and chime and only tells eternity. PH

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Don't push your luck, I'll bring Ferrero Rocher next time.
    Haha. Is a that some kind of bright red Italian sports car?

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    3,567
    Blog Entries
    1
    looks well worth a trip thanks for the info.



    The Ashmoleum also has a display worth viewing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information