closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone sense check me!

Journeyman

Someone sense check me!

Hi All,

So I just need a sounding board and some advice/kick up the arse..

I’ve been on the waiting list for a 126660 DSSD Deep Blue for a couple of years now. I’ve just had a call to say my AD has got one and they have offered ‘click and collect.’

I absolutely would normally snap their hands off and proceed, but I’m struggling to justify in my head spending £10,350 on a watch given the current economic climate. Is it just me?

It was my 40th back in October and I have wanted to mark the occasion, especially as this year has been quite frankly shitty!

I can afford it, no credit needed etc. Interest rates aren’t exactly great and I guess so far the track record has always been that a Rolex is always quickly saleable I’d it ever came to it.

I work bloody hard, job security is ok (I think/hope, but you never know). I guess I’m feeling guilty about spending this amount when it could be a wedge off the mortgage potentially.

I’m just in a quandary about what to do!

Sense check me!

Thanks
    Mike

Craftsman
    Go and buy the watch!!! You are only here once. Happy birthday!!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Buy it. You’ve wanted it long enough and unlikely you would lose on it if you nice it on. The alternative is you turn it down then a year down the line decide you should have bought it. You’ll pay a lot more then.

Craftsman
    Hi Mike,

My mantra is that you need to live for now as well as plan for the future. They are not mutually exclusive. But lots of people seem to skew to extremes on either end.

If you can afford it and it is something you want, then go for it! Like you said, should you need the money, it is very easy to off load without taking a significant hit (and likely to make a profit!)

BW,
    Chi Kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikelancs View Post
    Hi All,

So I just need a sounding board and some advice/kick up the arse..

I’ve been on the waiting list for a 126660 DSSD Deep Blue for a couple of years now. I’ve just had a call to say my AD has got one and they have offered ‘click and collect.’

I absolutely would normally snap their hands off and proceed, but I’m struggling to justify in my head spending £10,350 on a watch given the current economic climate. Is it just me?

It was my 40th back in October and I have wanted to mark the occasion, especially as this year has been quite frankly shitty!

I can afford it, no credit needed etc. Interest rates aren’t exactly great and I guess so far the track record has always been that a Rolex is always quickly saleable I’d it ever came to it.

I work bloody hard, job security is ok (I think/hope, but you never know). I guess I’m feeling guilty about spending this amount when it could be a wedge off the mortgage potentially.

I’m just in a quandary about what to do!

Sense check me!

Thanks
    Mike
    Buy it, you could be infected by the zombie apocalypse next week so what’s the point of being sensible.

My friend got one after 3months on a wait list and no expensive history. They do seem to range a lot between easily available or no chance.

Craftsman
    Do it.......
    Life is for living, if you’re ok with the layout of funds I think it’ll be almost as safe as having money in the bank.

Buy it. If it doesn't work out you can just sell it for a bit more and pay a bit more off your mortgage.

I have one and love it. See if the AD is willing to remove the divers extension link when they're resizing it for you, it's a bit more comfortable that way.

It's not an everyday watch but it is special and I'm very happy with mine. Don't leave without going on the list for a SD43 too, they compliment each other well. Also the sun is absolutely beaming today and the dial will look lovely when you leave the shop. I'd rush to get it before the sun goes down ;)

I'm just about to put mine on now because you don't get many chances to see the dial in full glory in the winter.

Buy it. And if you change your mind and want to sell it later you’ll get your money back plus some. In fact if you sell it on sales corner I’m sure someone will even chuck in a free argument too.

I am not sure if any of the answers here can help you decide what is right.
    You have gone to great lengths to describe your position but at the end you are the one who knows it best.
    Your money is certainly safe ( at least for time being) but you are best judge of the allotment of your discretionary spending. If it is not coming at the expense of something your partner/kids want/need, then go ahead.
    It is certainly a great watch.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    . I’m struggling to justify in my head spending £10,350 on a watch...

I I guess I’m feeling guilty about spending this amount when it could be a wedge off the mortgage potentially.

Mike
    The quotes in black above indicate that you are not comfortable with forking out the cash and it would linger in your mind. You would probably never be comfortable with the watch and therefore not enjoy it. Therefore don’t buy it.

The quote in blue indicates you have the cash,it’s not a problem and it wouldn’t impact on you financially plus you can always sell it if needs be. Therefore,if you can reconcile your head to your heart, then buy it.

Master
    If you don't buy it you will be kicking yourself for years to come.

Concur with most on here, it’s not a necessary purchase but not frivolous either. If it was a watch you were going to take a bath on maybe a different story but it’s a win win really, you wanted it for ages and can wear it in the knowledge of your situation changes you can get all the money back plus a bit more.

In many less words, buy it and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Do like others, buy it. never wear it and sell it in 4 or 5 years

As my financial adviser says t me all the time, how would you feel if you suffered a 20% loss, against how would you feel if you made a 20% gain?

No quoted the same, as it's a watch, but one of the safest watches tonnage a larger sum tied up in, and something you can wear and enjoy.

I went through a similar thing when I bought my first ever Rolex, at around £2k, my first DSSD at around £5k, a white gold Daytona at £12.5k and my Patek 5711 - but Im very pleased I did.
    It's just a matter of time...

Buy it. This year has shown us how shitty things can turn very quickly. Flick the f*ck it switch and get it collected.

Another vote for buy it. It really is a risk free decision as you would have no problems getting your money back if needs be further down the road.

The fact that you have considered the (sensible) measure of reducing your mortgage instead of spending 10k on a watch tells me you do know deep down that you are not comfortable with the purchase.

They are nice watches but mine didn't make me any happier.

YMMV

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    The quotes in black above indicate that you are not comfortable with forking out the cash and it would linger in your mind. You would probably never be comfortable with the watch and therefore not enjoy it. Therefore don’t buy it.

The quote in blue indicates you have the cash,it’s not a problem and it wouldn’t impact on you financially plus you can always sell it if needs be. Therefore,if you can reconcile your head to your heart, then buy it.
    Agree with this. Additionally, I would imagine mortgage interest rates are quite low at the moment (I haven't checked but you will know what you are paying). If that is the case, then paying off approx. £10k from your mortgage isn't going to make that much of a difference to you monthly interest and capital repayments to be honest.

+1 for the buy! As others have said, you’ll get to enjoy it - we are in lockdown after all so everyone is allowed a guilty pleasure?

Plus if it doesn’t work out you can always part ways with it!

Good luck!

S

As others have said, ultimately only you know where the balance lies.

I very recently bought a watch that - unlike this - is, frankly, likely to lose a fair bit on potential re-sale, just because I was taken with it and I fancied it.

I did of course pause to consider whether I was utterly mad to be doing that in the current climate.

Where I came out was that, given my overall assets to liabilities and general burn-rate of daily family life, if everything were to fall apart for me, frankly the difference between having bought it and not having bought it is likely to be minimal in terms of the wider very significant problems. 10 grand off the mortgage is neither here nor there when I've got 17 years left on it. If, say, I lost my job, everything would need to change.

So my conclusion was that while one of course has to be sensible and try to maintain reasonable contingency for unforeseen events, you also have to assume that life will generally go on, and putting all your assets into gold and canned beans and moving to a bunker in Montana with an assault rifle is as nuts as spending the kids' university fund on a diamond-encrusted Hublot. So I went for it. And I'm very much enjoying wearing it and, at the moment, can't resist just looking at it from time to time and thinking, "yeh, nice that".

Given that you've wanted this for a while, the opportunity has come up to get something that you probably couldn't normally just go into a shop and get, it's a much sounder investment than what I've bought, and it sounds like you can afford it, there are a number of factors that suggest that you might consider just going for it.

Set against that, another way of looking at it would be "if you have to ask, you shouldn't"!

Blog Entries
    Go for it…. He who plays with the most toys wins!!!

It’s bloody ugly to be fair though!!! But, I don’t have to wear it!

Journeyman
    Thanks for everyone’s input, I’ve pressed the button!

I’ve worked bloody hard on my career since I was 18, I’m in a relatively fortunate position and have a buffer/contingency if it all went wrong tomorrow. Also, like some have said, if it really came to it I could sell it and not take too much of a hit.

Thanks again for all your views.

Obligatory photos will be put up when I collect (likely early next week)

Craftsman

I’ve worked bloody hard on my career since I was 18, I’m in a relatively fortunate position and have a buffer/contingency if it all went wrong tomorrow. Also, like some have said, if it really came to it I could sell it and not take too much of a hit.

Congrats! Can’t wait to see photos!

Good man. We could all pay down our mortgages a bit but then we wouldn't have any hobbies and life would be very boring.

Nice one.

You know it makes sense.

Enjoy it!

Good call.
    A bit late to the party but reading the thread the other thing that came to mind was - are you on a list with the AD for anything else or would you want to be in the future?
    Turning this down may have compromised any future purchases.

Journeyman
    Loving that you asked for a sense check on a watch forum. What exactly did you think the consensus would be

What did payingoffthemortgage.co.uk say?!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

If you hadn't scratched that itch it you'd have been kicking yourself for years to come.
    On recent form its probably also a better investment vehicle than where your money is now.
    If you don't bond with it I promise to buy it from you for at least what you pay!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good shout, there has to be some emotional decisions in life taken for pleasure.

That watch is probably on a par with paying down the mortgage and more enjoyable.

Journeyman
    Buy and enjoy! Happy wearing

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Another vote for go for it here as well. As you say, there are worse places to keep your money than in Rolex watches should you ever need it back for any reason.

Master
    Glad you’ve made the decision. Great watch indeed!

The fact that you went into great thought about buying it, shows it’s the right choice for you . . . . It’s the people that buy without working out that they can afford it that are the worrying ones!

Well done, the people who talk about balance have it right. You're not of an age where you need to be worrying about your pension, your mortgage is under control, it's great to be able to pay on the nail for stuff.
    Last edited by Linocut; 7th November 2020 at 15:04.

Congrats on the decision to pull the trigger - and can’t wait to see the mandatory pics!

S

Master
    The right call to buy it. It is a chunky old Hector but is by far my favourite Rolex. So much so I have one of each.
    Wear it and enjoy it in good health.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I was half way through replying before I noticed you’d decided to do the right thing and just buy it! Honestly, I’m delighted for you. We often lose sight of just how hard we’re working, until something goes awry, only for us to realise we’ve missed out on enjoying a few of life’s luxuries. I’d have done exactly the same in your circumstances.

Looking forward to seeing the obligatory photos. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well done ,right decision work hard play hard.

I am in the same boat at the moment trying to justify a watch purchase with all this uncertainty.

I hope ultimately I will make the right call.

Look forward to seeing the pics as and when.

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I think that was the right decision. Congrats! It's not like it's dead money anyway, it's an investment ;)

Quote Originally Posted by SiSetts View Post
    Go and buy the watch!!! You are only here once. Happy birthday!!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Have to agree with this and it's a great watch

Well done,love mine......need to buy one of those "F**k it" switches though,would come in handy

Journeyman
    Definitely the right decision! Nice little belated birthday present

Journeyman
    Thanks everyone!

I guess I was just having a bit of a wobble! It’s probably my biggest ever purchase (well, apart from the house obviously) but I’ve worked hard and saved-up, so why shouldn’t I have a nice 40th birthday gift to myself. Life is short.

It’s all about getting the balance right between the mundane and fun stuff!

Picking up tomorrow afternoon. Very excited. It’s a shame the Boutique experience won’t quite be the same as in normal times, but I’m just so pleased to have secured a watch which I’ve wanted for years.

Thanks again everyone
    Mike

Master
    Correct decision and congrats. Look forward to the pics. A great way to celebrate a special birthday.

Master
    Glad to hear you went for it, I got mine at the end of July and I'm so glad I did.

No one is going to talk you out of buying a watch on a watch forum, me included. Expect to see it on the next Friday thread.

Edit- just seen update. Congrats

Thanks everyone!

I guess I was just having a bit of a wobble! It’s probably my biggest ever purchase (well, apart from the house obviously) but I’ve worked hard and saved-up, so why shouldn’t I have a nice 40th birthday gift to myself. Life is short.

It’s all about getting the balance right between the mundane and fun stuff!

Picking up tomorrow afternoon. Very excited. It’s a shame the Boutique experience won’t quite be the same as in normal times, but I’m just so pleased to have secured a watch which I’ve wanted for years.

Thanks again everyone
    Mike
    Quite right. For my 40th, I bought myself a Ducati Panigale 899.

Blog Entries
    You work hard, you deserve to have what you want, so I'm glad you could get it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    Hi Mike,

My mantra is that you need to live for now as well as plan for the future. They are not mutually exclusive. But lots of people seem to skew to extremes on either end.

If you can afford it and it is something you want, then go for it! Like you said, should you need the money, it is very easy to off load without taking a significant hit (and likely to make a profit!)

BW,
    Chi Kai

Exactly what I was thinking! Spot on advice, particularly the first paragraph.

Craftsman

...I’m struggling to justify in my head spending £10,350 on a watch given the current economic climate.

I guess I’m feeling guilty about spending this amount when it could be a wedge off the mortgage potentially.
    Think these are the two things holding you back from the purchase:

1. You’ve already answered this in your post. You are financially stable (enough) to afford the watch, and should you really need to sell it if an unforeseen situation happens you should be able to recover at least the price you paid.

2. Mortgage interest rates are very low at the moment. I think the amount the watch appreciates will be able to cover the cost. Simplified calculation - 2% of £10k per annum is £200.

Not to forget the fun you get out of the watch.

Buy it!

OP, do you like the watch?

If so, given the current Rolex price insanity, you're not really SPENDING the money, just reinvesting it (I put a few hundred of my savings into premium bonds last month ).

Given that, it comes down to whether you wavering is about the money or whether you're wondering if the watch is worth it.

Personally, I think it's a horrible watch - I can see the appeal of some Rolex divers, but not that one.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?