closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudden realisation......

Grand Master

Sudden realisation......

that I have now become rather bored with watches etc for various reasons,maybe its what were all going thru that makes me see things different now......

But I think Im ready to off load them all now.....or perhaps keep at least one,that being the 5513......which would you throw out?.

5512/5513/14060/16700 or Tudor 76100?.

Anyone else feel the same in these very strange times?,I can use the cash in better and more useful ways helping my elderly parents tbh,which is something on my mind now,and people are more important than a little piece of metal.....

100% agree with your last sentence.

Yup, same here. The whole thing has lost its shine for me.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    And the phone just rings and my Brother is now going into hospital with our 93 year old Dad.....damn.

And he is in a very very bad way as is our Mother.

Master
    ... didn't see you last post before I hit send... hope things work out for you...

...strange times indeed, guess you are fortunate to to be in a position to own some great watches and be considering selling to fund a different cause.
    We all buy watches we like for whatever reasons we have as and when can be justified.
    I'd think for a bit longer rather than considering a spontaneous sell up...
    Maybe a selective cull rather than sell all but one could be a way forward?

Everyone's circumstances and justifications obviously different in the current climate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    And the phone just rings and my Brother is now going into hospital with our 93 year old Dad.....damn.

fingers crossed for your parents I hope they manage to pull through. in this time then watches have zero value.

We'll all likely lose interest at some point. As for choices, I'd keep the 5513 and 16700, with little variety lost.

I lost my parents in my 20s, be thankful for the time you've had.

I wish your parents well.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 17th October 2020 at 21:57.

Blog Entries
    ... I was going to write some crass statements about the meaning of life - but that’s deleted - sorry about your circumstances and I wish you all the best. Martyn

Thoughts with you and your family OP, keep us updated. What part of the country are you in?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sudden realisation......

A change in circumstances can alter priorities of importance instantly, especially when it involves family or finance.

Psychologically they are just trinkets worth money when there are more important things to deal with in life, when the going is good and the mind is settled we then enjoy the less important parts of life.

Hopefully your parents get through this rough stage and you get back to enjoying the less important..

Master
    Hope that all goes well with your parents. That's the important bit.

Master
    I know that we have clashed in the past Paul, but my thoughts and prayers are with you and your parents at this very difficult time. I hope they pull through.

My best wishes mate.

As for watches, as much as I love them, they really are not that important at the end of the day. Never let possessions own you, just enjoy and move on if finances and priorities dictate.

Apprentice
    5512/5513/14060/16700 or Tudor 76100
    They all look almost the same, so I'm not surprised you got bored. Maybe you should try a different brand?

Quote Originally Posted by kamyk View Post
    They all look almost the same, so I'm not surprised you got bored. Maybe you should try a different brand?
    Maybe read the thread and see the circumstances too and shown some thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    So sorry to hear about your parents, these past few months have certainly made a lot of us reassess what’s important in life.

Master
    that I have now become rather bored with watches etc for various reasons,maybe its what were all going thru that makes me see things different now......

But I think Im ready to off load them all now.....or perhaps keep at least one,that being the 5513......which would you throw out?.

Anyone else feel the same in these very strange times?,I can use the cash in better and more useful ways helping my elderly parents tbh,which is something on my mind now,and people are more important than a little piece of metal.....
    Makes sense but keep at least one to enjoy. For me it would be the either the 5512 or 13.

Craftsman
    OP, I hope your family are on the road to recovering quickly. This sort of thing is a strain that, even at the best of times, can get you down.

I find that I am looking at my collection far more regularly these days. I find they provide a nice distraction from alll the negative stuff going on that we have no control over.

Master
    Hope everything turns out ok. Best wishes to you and your family.

In reality, one good watch is all you need. If selling the rest can fund a greater cause, it’s a no brainer.

Obviously family’s well being takes precedence.
    Wish you all the best.
    If the money is needed elsewhere, makes sense to get rid of the watches. Otherwise they can provide a healthy distraction in these troubled times.

So sorry to hear about your parents, hope they pull though and rightly they should be the priority here..

As for watches I know exactly what you mean... since lockdown I’ve almost exclusively worn my smart watch and since going on holiday in August I’ve left my “better watches” in my Dads secure safe and haven’t really missed them..

I guess to balance the story though I have moved house, refurbed / redecorated and like many of us I’m not going out much.....

Still managed to buy two during lockdown, all be it both micro brands...

All the best to you and yours

Master
    I can use the cash in better and more useful ways helping my elderly parents tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    That’s because you *are* the elderly parent, Alec ;-p

PS to the OP; literally no idea what the watches are that you are referring to (surely only Heywood knows all the numbers by heart), but I came to the same realisation about 4 or 5 years ago, and you’re right.

So, sell them all off and enjoy the money in more meaningful ways. I think watches are a hobby and it’s fun to buy some but they’re not to be kept forever, except for the odd very special one.

EDIT: OP; I only saw your 2nd post after replying to your first above; good luck with it all!

Like all on here my thoughts are with you and your family.

Master
    You're not alone thinking that way. Watches and other trinkets can always be replaced, but not time with loved ones and good health.

Wish you and your family well as you go through this difficult situation.

As for which one to keep, the one I'd keep is the one I don't notice.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Yes, times like these can really make one less inclined toward the superfluous. If you’re feeling strongly about it, and have been for a while, then by all means I think selling makes sense.

As to whether to keep one, well why not retain your favourite, on the basis that the retention is just a four week trial. At the end of four weeks with only a single watch in the collection, you’ll have a clear sense of whether you’re pleased to keep that one, or would prefer to move it on too.

All very best wishes for your parents and your brother. My thoughts are with you.

Watches are just stuff. They come, they go, and it is important not to become too attached to these ephemeral things. As you say, people are far more important than little bits of metal.

If any have sentimental meaning to you, a memory or personal connection, then those would be the ones to keep.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

If there is a need for the money elsewhere, then like others have said, sell the lot. However, cash just sitting in the bank is almost dead money these days, in which case sell them when you need to.

A half way house would be to offload all the later watches, 5 digit references onwards and keep the 5512 and 5513 for now. That will give you some cash in the bank and two watches that in all probability will continue to increase in value, certainly more so than current banks interest rates.

Just a thought...

Master
    Paul, very sorry to hear that. I sent you pm before reading this thread so please feel free to ignore it at the moment.

I wish you and yours all the best.

As for the watches, I recognize your feelings. But don’t sell anything too rashly that is going to be hard to replace in the future. I’ve been away from watches for a few years and sold almost everything. Then I happened to see a picture of a particular watch that reignited the flame and I’ve been dragged back in. I’ve now replaced a few of the watches I never should have sold with considerable effort and at no small expense. The interest in this hobby may wax and wane, but it doesn’t really leave permanently. It’s easy to rationalise selling in the greater scheme of things, but that decision may not seem so rational anymore in a year or two. Unless you would need the money of course, then it always makes sense.

Journeyman
    Really sorry to hear about your circumstances.

Good on you for focusing on your family. These memories can't be replaced.
    I hope you can keep a few of your favourite watches if it still brings you joy.

Mate Your last sentence resonated big time with Me I have sold a few pieces one or two I'm keeping to all those with ill/unwell relatives My heart goes to You all and you're in My thoughts.

Grand Master
    Thanks for all the kind words guys & much apprecited they are too.I recently lost a good friend who was admitted to hospital and because of the restrictions never saw him again sadly,we could only say our farewell outside his house!.
    It has me wondering will this be how we see our Dad.He is 93 and in such poor health with multiple health problems,we have all been expecting the worst for quite some time,but still not easy & less so for Mum.

Thanks guys & All take care.

Cheers

Paul

Master
    Best wishes to your parents, hope they recover and remain healthy.

Times like this certainly put it all into perspective, they are just pieces of metal. However, perhaps do not rush to sell unless the cash is needed immediately as others have said.

You may have special memories with some of these watches, good times you have spent with your parents for example when wearing some of these models. If I was in your boat, I may consider keeping a couple of these just for the lasting memories of the experiences you have had when wearing them. (But maybe I am just strange!)

Journeyman
    I wish your parents all the best but no amount of money can turn back time and maybe they wouldn’t want you to lose your watches you may feel differently in a year or two.

Apprentice

Your personal focus shift is commendable and inspiring. Thanks for the reminder about what truly matters.

Craftsman
    I wish your parents well OP.

Of course the lives of those close and dear are important in comparison to anything. If money would help in a situation with them, the selling of assets to help would be logical. I guess the choice of what to sell depends on personal preferences, sentiment, the economics and the market (speed in which the money is required, price obtainable at the moment, etc). If I was in such a situation, selling some of my watches would be viable but I would try to sell other things first as I do love my watches.

Strangely, lockdown has made be bond with the hobby and my watches more. I work in the NHS and it has been pretty crazy. My watches and reading about the hobby, etc has been my oasis of calm.... a little bit of joy and beauty in the chaos.

BW,
    Chi Kai

SydR

Sudden realisation......

Not so much of a sudden realisation but a confirmation of it. I’m likely the odd one out here; I simply do not have the ability to empathise.

I remember as an earlier teenager been bored at both grandfather’s funerals, despite being a cord bearer at both, and lose no sleep over my non-attendance at the funerals of my parents.

I do wonder, on occasion, how I will react should my wife, children or grandchildren die before me.

I have, however, over the years, learned that my insight is not the normal and can understand that others experience difficult times, especially with Covid doing the rounds. I therefore hope that the OP’s situation improves.

As to which watch to keep. Which means most to you?
    Last edited by SydR; 18th October 2020 at 17:16.

Got discharged couple of days ago from the hospital (still waiting for a negative test...). The two weeks I spent there completely crushed any interest whatsoever in watches.

Good luck and kind thoughts for your parents.

Christian

Only just seen this Paul, thoughts are with you and the family.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Got discharged couple of days ago from the hospital (still waiting for a negative test...). The two weeks I spent there completely crushed any interest whatsoever in watches.

Good luck and kind thoughts for your parents.

Christian
    Good to hear, Christian. Wishing you a full recovery.

Paul, I'm sorry to hear about your parents - it must be a stressful time.

The lesson I learnt selling my Rolex's on the forum earlier this year during a stressful time is simple - sell somewhere easy. Your stress levels will thank you for it.

Absolutely no reflection on the people who bought my watches (including you!), but I found the situation around selling vintage Rolex exacerbated an already stressful time in my life. Having sold the two I sold here, I sent the rest to auction and found that whilst it was less financially advantageous, this was more than offset by the lack of stress.

I had a not-entirely-dissimilar situation, it was my health in question rather than my family's, and that situation has got markedly worse recently, so I think my own decision to go the way I did was the right one.

Using the money to support your parents is laudable, but I'd say think about your own stress-levels at this stressful time also. You have enough of a hard time coming up - look after yourself as well as your folks.

Master
    These are strange times and it amplifies stress and other negative emotions. We are all being deprived of friends and family, one of our most essential needs. It's normal to feel different. Like everyone says, fingers crossed for your parents, fingers crossed everyone's circumstances improve, and we can all feel happier and find the energy to get interested in the unimportant again.

Journeyman
    I am really sorry to hear of your parents and everything you have been going through. Times like this do put our hobbies in relief and emphasize what is truly important in life.

These days I have to say that like you, I find myself more aware of the relative unimportance of things like watch collecting compared with the people I care about - but equally, all the more grateful for the things in my life, watches included, that bring me joy. If something can make you smile or provide even a passing diversion from the weightier matters in one's life, that is for me nothing to scoff at.

With that said, I think we can all share your feelings about what really matters and I would like to join everyone else here in wishing you and your family all the best. I sincerely hope things brighten up for you very soon.

Yesterday's events really brought a sad truth to this thread - at 0820 My Mother-In-Law lost Her battle against an inoperable brain tumour at this time My Brother In Law was laying in the same room He jumped up with a start having shut his eyes to get a brief rest at the same time My Father In Law heard His late Wife shout His name whilst He was also trying to get some brief shut eye(She had lost the power of speech 5 days earlier)He went to the next room to find His Son in tears confirming that He couldn't find a pulse the Carers arrived 5 minutes later and also confirmed Her death the night and early morning She had really suffered Her chest filling with fluid RIP Brenda Rose.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    Yesterday's events really brought a sad truth to this thread - at 0820 My Mother-In-Law lost Her battle against an inoperable brain tumour at this time My Brother In Law was laying in the same room He jumped up with a start having shut his eyes to get a brief rest at the same time My Father In Law heard His late Wife shout His name whilst He was also trying to get some brief shut eye(She had lost the power of speech 5 days earlier)He went to the next room to find His Son in tears confirming that He couldn't find a pulse the Carers arrived 5 minutes later and also confirmed Her death the night and early morning She had really suffered Her chest filling with fluid RIP Brenda Rose.
    So sorry for your loss. Youre right that our hobbies and interests seem hugely unimportant in times like these.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    My condolences to you and your family. Take care of each other.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Its interesting how we relate watches and I imagine other material wealth on the opposite side of health and well being, its totally understandable if your in the situation of needing money for care or to pay the bills while incapacitated.

When I lost my Dad it threw me off my current life path, lots of depressing other things happened too within a short time period to the point PTSD kicked in, its been very difficult, but I have always retained and added to the core of my watches.
    I'm not wealthy by no means but I admit I haven't needed the funds from a watch to help someone or survive, after all this I haven't thought or compared watches to health and well being, if anything they have helped as they give me enjoyment.

People react to adverse situations differently so there is no do this or do that, you have to make your own choices and time is a great healer as they say, if what you do now you think you may well look back on in 5/10 years and regret its always best to take a step back and give it some more thought..

Many thanks for all messages and kind words.

Master
    I haven’t had a sudden realisation as such, but as this disease goes on I am also reconsidering watch ownership, but for slightly different reasons to the OP.
    It seems to me that we are in for some particularly hard times in the next few years as we struggle to get our economy back on track and I can’t help wondering if I should be paying down my mortgage as much as possible, if not all together which would be pretty much just possible if I sold off my watches.
    I’ve never been through a tough recession as a “grown up”. Obviously I was around in 2007 for the banking collapse - in fact, I was working in Canary Wharf and watching the hoards of bankers leaving Lehman Brothers with their boxes of belongings, but back then I was younger, I didn’t have a mortgage and I didn’t have any kids. For some reason I’m my mind at least, this situation that we are ALL going to find ourself in seems a whole lot worse.
    I know that there are plenty of people much worse off than myself, I just can’t help thinking that having a guaranteed roof over the kids heads would be better than having Rolex’s on the safe.
    My thoughts are of course with the OP and anyone else who’s family and health have been affected.