closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden realisation......

Hybrid View

Grand Master

Sudden realisation......

that I have now become rather bored with watches etc for various reasons,maybe its what were all going thru that makes me see things different now......

But I think Im ready to off load them all now.....or perhaps keep at least one,that being the 5513......which would you throw out?.

5512/5513/14060/16700 or Tudor 76100?.

Anyone else feel the same in these very strange times?,I can use the cash in better and more useful ways helping my elderly parents tbh,which is something on my mind now,and people are more important than a little piece of metal.....

100% agree with your last sentence.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    And the phone just rings and my Brother is now going into hospital with our 93 year old Dad.....damn.

And he is in a very very bad way as is our Mother.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    And the phone just rings and my Brother is now going into hospital with our 93 year old Dad.....damn.

fingers crossed for your parents I hope they manage to pull through. in this time then watches have zero value.

Apprentice

Your personal focus shift is commendable and inspiring. Thanks for the reminder about what truly matters.

Yup, same here. The whole thing has lost its shine for me.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Master
    ... didn't see you last post before I hit send... hope things work out for you...

...strange times indeed, guess you are fortunate to to be in a position to own some great watches and be considering selling to fund a different cause.
    We all buy watches we like for whatever reasons we have as and when can be justified.
    I'd think for a bit longer rather than considering a spontaneous sell up...
    Maybe a selective cull rather than sell all but one could be a way forward?

Everyone's circumstances and justifications obviously different in the current climate.

We'll all likely lose interest at some point. As for choices, I'd keep the 5513 and 16700, with little variety lost.

I lost my parents in my 20s, be thankful for the time you've had.

I wish your parents well.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 17th October 2020 at 21:57.

Master
    Losing a parent is never easy but I don't think too much soul searching is necessarily helpful either.
    Elderly parents pass away it's a fact of life and whilst sad it's not tragic.
    A young parent or child passing away(or seriously ill) I would class as a major trauma for those affected.
    Just sometimes think we lose perspective a bit thinking we will all live to 100.
    I would say anything over 80 and lived in decent health is a fine innings.

Blog Entries
    ... I was going to write some crass statements about the meaning of life - but that’s deleted - sorry about your circumstances and I wish you all the best. Martyn

Sincere condolences Mannu

Thoughts with you and your family OP, keep us updated. What part of the country are you in?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sudden realisation......

A change in circumstances can alter priorities of importance instantly, especially when it involves family or finance.

Psychologically they are just trinkets worth money when there are more important things to deal with in life, when the going is good and the mind is settled we then enjoy the less important parts of life.

Hopefully your parents get through this rough stage and you get back to enjoying the less important..

Master
    Hope that all goes well with your parents. That's the important bit.

Master
    I know that we have clashed in the past Paul, but my thoughts and prayers are with you and your parents at this very difficult time. I hope they pull through.

My best wishes mate.

As for watches, as much as I love them, they really are not that important at the end of the day. Never let possessions own you, just enjoy and move on if finances and priorities dictate.

Apprentice
    5512/5513/14060/16700 or Tudor 76100
    They all look almost the same, so I'm not surprised you got bored. Maybe you should try a different brand?

Quote Originally Posted by kamyk View Post
    They all look almost the same, so I'm not surprised you got bored. Maybe you should try a different brand?
    Maybe read the thread and see the circumstances too and shown some thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    So sorry to hear about your parents, these past few months have certainly made a lot of us reassess what’s important in life.

Master
    that I have now become rather bored with watches etc for various reasons,maybe its what were all going thru that makes me see things different now......

But I think Im ready to off load them all now.....or perhaps keep at least one,that being the 5513......which would you throw out?.

5512/5513/14060/16700 or Tudor 76100?.

Anyone else feel the same in these very strange times?,I can use the cash in better and more useful ways helping my elderly parents tbh,which is something on my mind now,and people are more important than a little piece of metal.....
    Makes sense but keep at least one to enjoy. For me it would be the either the 5512 or 13.

Craftsman
    OP, I hope your family are on the road to recovering quickly. This sort of thing is a strain that, even at the best of times, can get you down.

I find that I am looking at my collection far more regularly these days. I find they provide a nice distraction from alll the negative stuff going on that we have no control over.

Master
    Hope everything turns out ok. Best wishes to you and your family.

In reality, one good watch is all you need. If selling the rest can fund a greater cause, it’s a no brainer.

Obviously family’s well being takes precedence.
    Wish you all the best.
    If the money is needed elsewhere, makes sense to get rid of the watches. Otherwise they can provide a healthy distraction in these troubled times.

Sorry to hear about the developments
    Extremely tough and trying times and the elderly have borne the brunt and their families.
    In NY when Covid was in full force, no one was allowed to visit the sick parents with Covid in Nursing homes and a lot of them passed away without seeing the loved ones in the final days.

So sorry to hear about your parents, hope they pull though and rightly they should be the priority here..

As for watches I know exactly what you mean... since lockdown I’ve almost exclusively worn my smart watch and since going on holiday in August I’ve left my “better watches” in my Dads secure safe and haven’t really missed them..

I guess to balance the story though I have moved house, refurbed / redecorated and like many of us I’m not going out much.....

Still managed to buy two during lockdown, all be it both micro brands...

All the best to you and yours

Master
    I can use the cash in better and more useful ways helping my elderly parents tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    That’s because you *are* the elderly parent, Alec ;-p

PS to the OP; literally no idea what the watches are that you are referring to (surely only Heywood knows all the numbers by heart), but I came to the same realisation about 4 or 5 years ago, and you’re right.

So, sell them all off and enjoy the money in more meaningful ways. I think watches are a hobby and it’s fun to buy some but they’re not to be kept forever, except for the odd very special one.

EDIT: OP; I only saw your 2nd post after replying to your first above; good luck with it all!

Like all on here my thoughts are with you and your family.

Yes, times like these can really make one less inclined toward the superfluous. If you’re feeling strongly about it, and have been for a while, then by all means I think selling makes sense.

As to whether to keep one, well why not retain your favourite, on the basis that the retention is just a four week trial. At the end of four weeks with only a single watch in the collection, you’ll have a clear sense of whether you’re pleased to keep that one, or would prefer to move it on too.

All very best wishes for your parents and your brother. My thoughts are with you.

Master
    Sorry to hear of your situation Paul. Thinking of you and your family and hoping for the very best.

Master
    You're not alone thinking that way. Watches and other trinkets can always be replaced, but not time with loved ones and good health.

Wish you and your family well as you go through this difficult situation.

As for which one to keep, the one I'd keep is the one I don't notice.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Watches are just stuff. They come, they go, and it is important not to become too attached to these ephemeral things. As you say, people are far more important than little bits of metal.

If any have sentimental meaning to you, a memory or personal connection, then those would be the ones to keep.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I wish you and yours all the best.

As for the watches, I recognize your feelings. But don’t sell anything too rashly that is going to be hard to replace in the future. I’ve been away from watches for a few years and sold almost everything. Then I happened to see a picture of a particular watch that reignited the flame and I’ve been dragged back in. I’ve now replaced a few of the watches I never should have sold with considerable effort and at no small expense. The interest in this hobby may wax and wane, but it doesn’t really leave permanently. It’s easy to rationalise selling in the greater scheme of things, but that decision may not seem so rational anymore in a year or two. Unless you would need the money of course, then it always makes sense.

Grand Master
    During the call to the hospital an hour ago asking about our Dad who was admitted on the 17th Oct,told he has now been moved to the Covid ward having tested positive!.

So if he pulls thru this,myself & Brothers might ask them to get a sample of his blood and do some tests on it!.He has pulled thru so many times from various life threatening stuff over the last 5 years!.

Certainly a tough un @ 93.

Journeyman
    During the call to the hospital an hour ago asking about our Dad who was admitted on the 17th Oct,told he has now been moved to the Covid ward having tested positive!.

So if he pulls thru this,myself & Brothers might ask them to get a sample of his blood and do some tests on it!.He has pulled thru so many times from various life threatening stuff over the last 5 years!.

Certainly a tough un @ 93.
    I just wanted to offer you some hope. My Mum is 94 and not in great health and has just come through COVID after testing positive in Winchester hospital earlier this month. The antivirals and steroids did the trick and I’ve been looking after her at her flat for a couple of weeks. I wish your Dad good luck but the NHS teams have really figured out what they need to do with vulnerable patients to give them the best chance.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JIG67 View Post
    I just wanted to offer you some hope. My Mum is 94 and not in great health and has just come through COVID after testing positive in Winchester hospital earlier this month. The antivirals and steroids did the trick and I’ve been looking after her at her flat for a couple of weeks. I wish your Dad good luck but the NHS teams have really figured out what they need to do with vulnerable patients to give them the best chance.

Thanks,your last paragraph doesnt seem to fit our case!.Just called the hospital & they say they will be calling our 87 year old Mum also in very poor health to say he will be ok to go home.

That very definitely wont be happening!,sending an elderly person who needs constant care home with covid!......Nah not happening.

They haven't figured this one out,and if thats the norm at the BRI no wonder its spreading!.Sending a vulnerable person back home to another elderly vulnerable person,and the virus caught whilst in hospital!.

Grand Master
    How fast things change!.So yesterday my Dad has 2 breakfasts & sat up in bed and were all told he can come home.

On the phone for past 30 mins and finally as I write they pick up,reason being hes now dying and unlikely to see tomorrow.
    The uncaring woman that answered the phone at reception when I told her I was trying to organise visiting,well you cant and they are all busy you might not get thru she said!,I did eventually and told only 1 person can visit!.

oh well Ill see him again one day if that is true.

How fast things change!.So yesterday my Dad has 2 breakfasts & sat up in bed and were all told he can come home.

On the phone for past 30 mins and finally as I write they pick up,reason being hes now dying and unlikely to see tomorrow.
    The uncaring woman that answered the phone at reception when I told her I was trying to organise visiting,well you cant and they are all busy you might not get thru she said!,I did eventually and told only 1 person can visit!.

So sorry to hear this, surely they must be able to let you in to see him?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    So sorry to hear this, surely they must be able to let you in to see him?
    Thats why I was calling the hospital to ask what the procedures are for visiting under these circumstances.
    Was told only 1 chosen family member allowed to visit,Now I do understand that,lets face it he caught the covid whilst in there!,so the potential of spread to all who visit is increased.
    Mum is very high risk,we can give her all the reasons why She shouldn't visit,but they have been together for 70 years,its her decision and not one Id deny her making.

Very sad & difficult times we are all in,with many more going thru exactly the same.

That's terrible and I am so sorry for you, I went through similar with my Grandad so can relate to the rollercoaster of emotions. All the best for the coming days.

So sorry about this... Hope you'll see him again one day.

If there is a need for the money elsewhere, then like others have said, sell the lot. However, cash just sitting in the bank is almost dead money these days, in which case sell them when you need to.

A half way house would be to offload all the later watches, 5 digit references onwards and keep the 5512 and 5513 for now. That will give you some cash in the bank and two watches that in all probability will continue to increase in value, certainly more so than current banks interest rates.

Just a thought...

Master
    Paul, very sorry to hear that. I sent you pm before reading this thread so please feel free to ignore it at the moment.

Journeyman
    Really sorry to hear about your circumstances.

Good on you for focusing on your family. These memories can't be replaced.
    I hope you can keep a few of your favourite watches if it still brings you joy.

Mate Your last sentence resonated big time with Me I have sold a few pieces one or two I'm keeping to all those with ill/unwell relatives My heart goes to You all and you're in My thoughts.

Grand Master
    Thanks for all the kind words guys & much apprecited they are too.I recently lost a good friend who was admitted to hospital and because of the restrictions never saw him again sadly,we could only say our farewell outside his house!.
    It has me wondering will this be how we see our Dad.He is 93 and in such poor health with multiple health problems,we have all been expecting the worst for quite some time,but still not easy & less so for Mum.

Thanks guys & All take care.

Cheers

Paul

My condolences, I am very sorry for your loss.

Master
    Best wishes to your parents, hope they recover and remain healthy.

Times like this certainly put it all into perspective, they are just pieces of metal. However, perhaps do not rush to sell unless the cash is needed immediately as others have said.

You may have special memories with some of these watches, good times you have spent with your parents for example when wearing some of these models. If I was in your boat, I may consider keeping a couple of these just for the lasting memories of the experiences you have had when wearing them. (But maybe I am just strange!)

Extremely sorry for your loss. RIP.

Journeyman
    I wish your parents all the best but no amount of money can turn back time and maybe they wouldn’t want you to lose your watches you may feel differently in a year or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk