closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Could hacking damage a movement?

Could hacking damage a movement?

I noticed a while ago that a few watches in shop windows have their crowns pulled out in the ‘time setting’, hacked position. I always thought it odd but thinking about it, it makes sense to put the break on an auto movement when the watch goes in the box, rather than letting it discharge the power reserve, then having to hand wind a few turns when it goes back on (which I’m told one should avoid in autos).

Question is: does leaving the watch hacked cause damage to a partially wound mainspring which is being held under tension?

Craftsman
    I’ve noticed a few sellers do this and it seems odd to me: why wouldn’t the default be to keep the crown in its usual position, the case sealed and avoid the chance of catching the crown and stressing the stem by mistake?

IANAWM but given normal running involves main springs unwinding and winding, it seems unnecessary to worry about it.

I look forward to hearing from the experts.

Not good stop a spring under tension for weeks better let it run out.

Doesn't make sense on an automatic watch, just let it run down and rewind next time you wear it.

I can understand pulling the crown out to take pictures etc.

I think it's more common with Quartz watches as that can save the battery life.

Grand Master
    i suspect it's because they are told to do it with quartz watches to save battery and don't know the difference..
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Doesn't make sense on an automatic watch, just let it run down and rewind next time you wear it.

I can understand pulling the crown out to take pictures etc.

I think it's more common with Quartz watches as that can save the battery life.
    I never get why people photograph watches with the crown out. It just looks awful, which kind of defeats the point. Just set the time and take the photo, easy!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    i suspect it's because they are told to do it with quartz watches to save battery and don't know the difference..
    Ha you know I bet you're right. Sad state of most dealers.

It’s typically done to display the watch in the preferred ten-past-ten handset orientation.

Who told you that crown winding a depleted automatic is bad for the movement?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I never get why people photograph watches with the crown out. It just looks awful, which kind of defeats the point. Just set the time and take the photo, easy!
    As stated, in order to set and hold the hands at a certain position. Nothing worse than the hands obscuring dial details on a watch sales pitch or even worse a blurred photo. The crown out gives you time to take a few photos so you can pick the best.

Some of the listers on SC should try it sometime

Could hacking damage a movement?

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    It’s typically done to display the watch in the preferred ten-past-ten handset orientation.

I just remember reading it in a few places than hand winding a mechanical pits too much torque on the mechanism. It may be nonsense, theres a lot of here say in this hobby, after all!

EDIT

**that should have read hand-winding an auto**
    Last edited by Idontgram; 18th October 2020 at 11:37.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post

It's pretty common knowledge that the 2824 doesn't like regular hand winding:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...24-handwinding

Although, I don't know why you'd need to hand-wind an automatic so often that it became a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Although, I don't know why you'd need to hand-wind an automatic so often that it became a problem?
    Interesting; thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Great observation.

...of course we are all assuming that the OP does know the difference, in which case I'll get my hat.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Thanks for sharing this - there are so many contradictory "old wives tales" surrounding automatics that I'd not taken this one on board before.

I hand-wind my small collection of dailies, well, daily - and this is something it seems I need to stop doing.

Does anyone know if the same issues affect the closely-related Sellita SW200-series movements?

And Valjoux 7750?

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Great observation.

...of course we are all assuming that the OP does know the difference, in which case I'll get my hat.
    I’m familiar with the fundamental difference between quartz and an automatic.

My question relates more to whether it’s better to leave the watch hacked when it’s put away, so to avoid handwinding an auto, or whether this in itself may cause harm to the mainspring and thus it’s better to allow the spring to discharge regardless.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

Ha you know I bet you're right. Sad state of most dealers.
    In the past I’ve bought cheap quartz that have a little spacer keeping the crown out that you have to remove before first use.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!