closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [eBay Rant Alert] - Way to lose a sale, or did I miss something?

Craftsman

[eBay Rant Alert] - Way to lose a sale, or did I miss something?

Long story short...

I've been researching my next dive watch on the way to a Rolex.

I've got a grand.

After f -- a -- r too much research, I'd settled on a Tag Heuer Aquaracer WBD1110.BA0928. 41mm Quartz.

But then I saw this one on the Bay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164436540996

I thought it looked like an absolute deal, though I was gonna have to stretch my budget a bit to get it.

£1,300 for an 18month old WAY201A.BA0927 which looked to be in good condition...

...Though the photo's weren't the greatest in terms of focus.

Anyway...

There followed an exchange between me and the seller.

Here it is:

Me:

Hi there,

Apologies for the short notice, only just seen this...

Can you confirm there are no 'dings' or scratches on the watch bezel and crystal please.

And any chance of a photo of the back of the watch case?

Good luck with the sale.

Bye for now

Marcus
    Then:

Apologies, scrap the request for a shot of the back of the watch in my previous email.

In my haste, I didn't see you'd already put one up **Doh!**

Can you confirm the receipt will be included in the sale.

Thanks

Marcus
    Seller Reply:

I can do a photocopy
    Me:

Just curious...

Why couldn’t you send the original receipt?

Oh and are there any dings or scratches on the bezel or crystal?

Sorry to be a pain, but your photos are a bit out of focus 
    Seller:

Go and buy a brand-new one for £2195 then it will be perfect for you this is used and there are plenty of photos for you to zoom in on a few little marks on the clasp
    Me:

Great attitude to take with someone who doesn’t know you and is contemplating giving you £1300.

Think I’ll take a pass on this one.

Good luck with the sale.

Did I do something wrong?

Is it a 'faux pa' to ask for the original receipt to be included in the sale?

I'd love to read your thoughts.

Cuz this encounter has left me a little 'rubbed up the wrong way' and I'd like to know if there's a lesson for me to learn here...

...Or the dude selling the watch was just having a bad day?

**Rant Over**

Thanks for reading =)

My advice would be "don't buy it".
    Sometimes dealing with strangers on whatever platform leads to similar exchanges.
    It's not the only watch in the world. Find another one. The looking is an enjoyment in itself.

I agree with you taking a pass. Always ‘buy the seller’.

If he/she can’t be bothered to answer a perfectly reasonable question and is actually quite rude about it, I certainly wouldn’t be handing them my cash. There will be another watch.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 17th October 2020 at 17:43.

I'm waiting for an aswer

He did you a favour by getting you to step away.

The watch is no bargain, the reason he doesn't want you to see the full receipt will be that it will show the 'managers discount'. He probably paid about £1600 for it. Someone in the USA is selling one for just over £1400 and it is brand new. Not only that he is 'open to offers'.

It is now used, it is in decent condition for a watch that has a bit of wear but far from pristine. He would be doing well to get £1300 for it now.

Mitch

Master
    Why do you want the original receipt, I’ve never got why people want that are you trying to return it to the shop.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    He did you a favour by getting you to step away.

The watch is no bargain, the reason he doesn't want you to see the full receipt will be that it will show the 'managers discount'. He probably paid about £1600 for it. Someone in the USA is selling one for just over £1400 and it is brand new. Not only that he is 'open to offers'.

It is now used, it is in decent condition for a watch that has a bit of wear but far from pristine. He would be doing well to get £1300 for it now.

Mitch
    Add £300 for VAT and handling though and it’s not such a good deal, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    The seller is very rude. I don’t think anything you have asked for is unreasonable and most importantly, you were very polite. If he thought your requests are unreasonable, he could have refused but politely. He didn’t.

Good luck with your search!

BW,
    Chi Kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    Long story short...

I've been researching my next dive watch on the way to a Rolex.

I've got a grand.

After f -- a -- r too much research, I'd settled on a Tag Heuer Aquaracer WBD1110.BA0928. 41mm Quartz.

But then I saw this one on the Bay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164436540996

I thought it looked like an absolute deal, though I was gonna have to stretch my budget a bit to get it.

£1,300 for an 18month old WAY201A.BA0927 which looked to be in good condition...

Anyway...

There followed an exchange between me and the seller.

Here it is:

Me:

Then:

Seller Reply:

Me:

Seller:

Me:

I'd love to read your thoughts.

Cuz this encounter has left me a little 'rubbed up the wrong way' and I'd like to know if there's a lesson for me to learn here...

...Or the dude selling the watch was just having a bad day?

**Rant Over**

Thanks for reading =)
    No, you didn’t do anything wrong. The seller was a Bellend.

It never ceases to amaze me the obliviousness and/or stupidity of some eBay sellers. As you rightly said, they’re asking for a lot of money. Is it really so bloody hard to be helpful?

Imagine what he’d have been like if something had gone wrong? Bullet dodged mate, on to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post

Imagine what he’d have been like if something had gone wrong? Bullet dodged mate, on to the next.
    +1
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Craftsman
    I don't buy from rude sellers....as said above buy the seller not the watch..

Guillermo

Journeyman
    I agree with the reponses so far. Imagine if there was a problem with delivery and the watch didn't turn up? I wouldn't assume you'd get much support from the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Why do you want the original receipt, I’ve never got why people want that are you trying to return it to the shop.
    I always thought it was to see if it came from an AD or a Grey dealer?

Master
    If I was selling I may want to keep the original receipt, which is effectively my invoice, not the next person's. I have provided a picture on one occasion to a buyer. Companies like WF do also ask for receipt if you sell to them, so useful to have for situations like this. It kind of makes it a full set + so can definitely see the value of asking for it! A photocopy or picture to the new buyer I suppose will suit both parties.

[eBay Rant Alert] - Way to lose a sale, or did I miss something?

I’ve just gone through something similar on Chrono24. There is currently a listing on there of a Panerai 572 in France at an attractive price verging on to good to be true so asked for the following.

High definition close pictures
    A photo of the watch on today’s newspaper
    More details of what’s included
    How did the seller come into the watch etc.

Explained why I was asking for the above, very polite etc.

I won’t bore you with to much detail but the DM’s quickly descended in him quoting of all things brexit and how the UK would be lost without the EU next year.

I mean really I was only trying to buy a watch.

To make things even stranger he eventually sent all the info and photos I’d asked for at the start with the message that he would now not sell me the watch.

There’s some strange people out there.

Quote Originally Posted by torromoto View Post
    I don't buy from rude sellers....as said above buy the seller not the watch..

Guillermo
    +1

The seller was rude, but he may have had an inbox full of stupid questions and overreacted.

I used to run an ebay account for a charity and some of the questions were unbelievable.
    I used to say that if you advertised 'a red cube made out of pine 50cm x 50cm x 50 cm weighing 10 kg' you would get someone sending an email asking what size it was how much it weighed and if you had one in blue?

My favourite was when I advertised something that was quite large and and impossible to pack for shipping.
    I specified that it had to be collected by the buyer, we could not ship it, nor could we pack it for their own courier to collect (if we could do that we would have been happy to ship it ourselves).
    I gave dimensions and loads of photos.

One person sent me an email "Will it fit in my car?"

There is never an excuse for not being polite though.

But to be honest ebay can be a bit of a bear pit, if you feel 'rubbed up the wrong way' by a rude answer perhaps it is not the place for you.
    Last edited by Kevin; 17th October 2020 at 20:34.

As has been said, he comes across as a rude t****er - I wouldn’t buy from him.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    As has been said, he comes across as a rude t****er - I wouldn’t buy from him.

Simon
    I’ve been trying to work out what a t****er might be? A twitter? Tosser doesn’t fit and isn’t rude enough to censor? #confused

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I’ve been trying to work out what a t****er might be? A twitter? Tosser doesn’t fit and isn’t rude enough to censor? #confused
    Twanker

I have had a few questions on eBay that irk me, now I have got to the point of not even answering them, why waste my time on some twanker!

Master
    Watch now sold as of 8 am Sunday morning looking at the listing

SydR
    There are rude sellers all over the place.

Earlier this year I made I contacted a London based dealer about a watch he had for sale on Chrono24. He replied say that, due to the restrictions at that time he couldn’t get to his safety deposit box.

I replied, thanking him, and saying that I understood the situation and would be happy to revisit it when restrictions eased.

I got a very curt and rude response!

Have since bought elsewhere.

OP good luck with your search.

Journeyman
    I would not buy anything from that seller.
    As it was here mentioned already - buy the seller first.
    Keep your hands away, that's my advice.

Master
    You should be thanking the seller from preventing you wasting £1,300 on a quartz Tag Heuer. Never pay more than £100 for anything quartz.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 18th October 2020 at 11:58.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    You should be thanking the seller from preventing you wasting £1,300 on a quartz Tag Heuer. Never pay more than £100 for anything quartz.
    Haha!

Ouch! You shouldn't have gone there. Hehe. But you are saying what is on everyone's mind.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

I sold a Breitling recently On eBay

The buyer contacted me throughout and bought from me in cash so he could inspect the watch

He told me he usually pops an over in a good few hundred less than the asking and is v suspicious of those who accept... sort of made sense

Anyway he’d already street mapped my address abd could see I live in a beautiful property etc etc
    All homework on buying the seller

All of the relevant paperwork was present and he commented on how I’d clearly replaced the box and knew how much that on its own had cost

He’s since recommended me to a friend of his who bought a micro brand diver from me without any fuss on PayPal gift

Walk away from toss pot sellers

Craftsman
    Outside of this community most people would say buying any watch at this price was wasting £1300 so I guess it is different horses for different courses !

Never pay more than £100 for anything quartz.
    I presume an Oysterquartz doesn't figure in your future plans ?
    F.T.F.A.

Think yourself fortunate you had close up pics to look at.

When I started buying on ebay hardly anyone had a digital camera and I had to buy on description!

TBH the original receipt is pointless - it's how much you want to pay and is it worth it?

The ball is completely in the buyers court with ebay so if what turns up doesn't match the pics..........
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    No need for rudeness, however there are just as many bad buyers as sellers.

Some of the questions I’ve had and some of the bids! I declined a bid which was half of the buy it now price, and subsequently got a rude message saying why have ‘the make a bid option’ if I wasn’t going to except bids!

I now ignore any bids that are ridiculous.
    Last edited by Ghost Chilli; 18th October 2020 at 16:26.

Apprentice
    Long story short...

You absolutely did everything right. That seller isn’t what I would call “normal” — rather, he’s a couple of standard deviations out vis-à-vis rudeness. I’ve asked routine questions (like asking for original receipt) dozens of times without encountering anything like that.

eBay FR so assuming french seller? I get the attitude point that’s quite typical (I speak french).

Happy to drop them a note if you’re still interested

S

You don't like quartz, therefore it's nearly worthless and nobody should? What an odd way to approach this hobby.

Maybe seller doesn't care and isn't ranting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The seller was rude, but he may have had an inbox full of stupid questions and overreacted.

I used to run an ebay account for a charity and some of the questions were unbelievable.
    I used to say that if you advertised 'a red cube made out of pine 50cm x 50cm x 50 cm weighing 10 kg' you would get someone sending an email asking what size it was how much it weighed and if you had one in blue?

My favourite was when I advertised something that was quite large and and impossible to pack for shipping.
    I specified that it had to be collected by the buyer, we could not ship it, nor could we pack it for their own courier to collect (if we could do that we would have been happy to ship it ourselves).
    I gave dimensions and loads of photos.

One person sent me an email "Will it fit in my car?"

There is never an excuse for not being polite though.

But to be honest ebay can be a bit of a bear pit, if you feel 'rubbed up the wrong way' by a rude answer perhaps it is not the place for you.
    I can sympathise with this.

I used to sell quite a lot of stuff (not a dealer, just moving on things) on eBay, but it's not an enjoyable experience as a private seller these days.

There are plenty of tyre-kickers, chancers and general time wasters trying to buy things and you pick up pretty quickly who they are.

The OP may well NOT be one of those, but, while I'd probably be a little less direct, I can understand why the seller might have thought he was.

I also think, perhaps, that his sign-off response was a little tetchy - As the seller, I think I'd think I'd had a lucky escape not selling to him after this exchange.

OP, you didn't lose out, put it behind you and move on

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th October 2020 at 09:14.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    I don't think you did anything wrong. These are perfectly reasonable questions to ask before buying £1,300 worth of anything.

I don't think he sold it. It had zero bids at £1,300. Relist at £1,230 and the ad was eventually withdrawn.

As a seller, you'd think he'd bend over backwards to make the buying experience good for you, so you can have the watch, and he can have the money.

Also, perfectly reasonable to ask to have the original sales receipts. Photocopy? Pfft. Its value on exists when it's with the watch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I sold a Breitling recently On eBay

The buyer contacted me throughout and bought from me in cash so he could inspect the watch

He told me he usually pops an over (sic) in a good few hundred less than the asking and is v suspicious of those who accept... sort of made sense

Anyway he’d already street mapped my address abd could see I live in a beautiful property etc etc
    All homework on buying the seller

All of the relevant paperwork was present and he commented on how I’d clearly replaced the box and knew how much that on its own had cost

He’s since recommended me to a friend of his who bought a micro brand diver from me without any fuss on PayPal gift

Walk away from toss pot sellers

Would you actually sell a high value watch from your own property? I just get a little wary these days. I would meet at a mutually convenient public place.

Journeyman
    Long story short...
    This kills me. Why on earth do people do this. Take the photos outside, in direct sunlight.

Camera phones are a great invention, but they are limited by physics.

Make it easy for your buyers to buy!

Master
    I would just have bought the Rolex I wanted. Ebay is a minefield and you have to learn to play the game and deal with the idiots I don't like trading up to the watch I really want.

Master
    There are a few simple rules for ebay that have evolved over the years.

1. Never sell your stuff on ebay because you are totally dependant on whether you sell to a normal person or a physco. Customers are ebays king and private sellers are regarded as an irritation who can't pack properly, take a decent pic or compose a realistic description. In the ebay pecking order, private sellers at at the bottom and cannot be trusted to do anything right.

2. Buying from a commercial seller is the way to go, good description, good packaging and plenty of communications are the norm.

Obey those two simple rules and ebay is great.

Master
    ....Which makes me wonder you should pay more than £100 for anything mechanical, given its inferior time keeping, vulnerability to shocks, high & expensive service requirements etc. Probably a subject for a different thread....

If you really want a sub, save your money. Anything you buy ( particularly TAG ) will in the long run, take you longer to get there, as you'll lose on it. If you're trying to 'trade up' to a Sub, I wouldn't start with Tag's on eBay.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    ....Which makes me wonder you should pay more than £100 for anything mechanical, given its inferior time keeping, vulnerability to shocks, high & expensive service requirements etc. Probably a subject for a different thread....
    Love this!

Craftsman
    Hey, thanks EVERYONE for posting.

I've been out of the loop for a few days and came back to a lot to read =)

In the end, I went with this from Chrono24:

TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 Automatic WAY201A.BA0927

£1,199

I don't think I'll be buying anything else from eBay on this journey.

Too many risks involved.

This should arrive tomorrow, then if it's legit (which I'm sure it is) I'll be its new owner. Can't wait =)

I've definitely learned to 'buy the person selling the watch' from this experience. The dude selling this ticks all the boxes you can tick without actually meeting them =)

Thanks again, everyone.

Craftsman
    Hey, thanks EVERYONE for posting.

I've been out of the loop for a few days and came back to a lot to read =)

In the end, I went with this from Chrono24:

TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 Automatic WAY201A.BA0927

£1,199

Too many risks involved.

This should arrive tomorrow, then if it's legit (which I'm sure it is) I'll be its new owner. Can't wait =)

I've definitely learned to 'buy the person selling the watch' from this experience. The dude selling this ticks all the boxes you can tick without actually meeting them =)

Thanks again, everyone.
    Congrats! It looks very nice. Glad you managed to find one in better circumstances!

BW,
    Chi Kai

Craftsman
    Congrats on the purchase - glad things worked out for you in the end!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Looks a lovely one - enjoy

Journeyman
    Very glad you found what you're looking for. Enjoy it thoroughly.

Too many risks involved.
    Smart looking watch.

You seem to have found your 'comfort level' with regard to buying from eBay.

I'm sure there are thousands of honest and fair sellers there, but as you work your way up in value, I guess the rewards for dishonesty become greater and tempting to, relatively, more people.

Good luck with your quest!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?