closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Returning to the UK after 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I think it will only swing more that way next year. With the UK able to steer it's own course in business and trade it may become even more popular.
    Got any basis for this notion or is it a 'gut feeling'...

So, will we see a forum name change? Warwick-wol?

I chose Qatar-wol in my early days of eBaying, and have used it on other forums since! I don't know what I'll do for a user name if I come back!

Thank you all for the vigorous debate that my meagre thread started! I've read all your posts, and I'm still on the glass-half-full side of things. I'll go further - I'm happy to have a glass! And have anything in it at all!

When any of you find nirvana, please be sure to check in. Until then, I think we can all agree that everywhere has pluses and minuses - and I'm looking forward to rediscovering my home.

Everywhere is what you make of it.
    People, friends, hospitality are warm most places.
    I'm sure you've had some heartwarming experience in the middle east, and you'll have some back home too.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Got any basis for this notion or is it a 'gut feeling'...
    Yup, I have every faith in the British people and think we will prosper and go from strength to strength. Of course many (mentioning no names of course) will wallow in BBC style negativity at every bump in the road.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

It is a little depressing that this thread has become another bashing shop for Brexiteer/Remoaners and Big up/Bash down UK PLCers.
    Especially as the OP specifically asked the forum for the things they looked forward to returning to after time away from the UK.

Welcome back Q-W, my in-laws are based in Warwick, I will PM you when we are up there, your presence might be a good excuse to flee to the pub for an hour or two, provided that sounds like a good idea to you......

Dave

Yup, I have every faith in the British people and think we will prosper and go from strength to strength. Of course many (mentioning no names of course) will wallow in BBC style negativity at every bump in the road.
    Mate that's faith based talk then and no room for it here

My view is different places are potentially best suited to different stages of ones life...As Mick noted London, NYC, Paris and such are great for making money...other parts might suit better for raising a family or retirement.

Best of luck to the OP.
    Last edited by Passenger; 19th October 2020 at 18:07.

Blog Entries
    You’re gonna have to change your username to Warwick-Wol

Blog Entries
    Mate that's faith based talk then and no room for it here

My view is different places are potentially best suited to different stages of ones life...As Mick noted London, NYC, Paris and such are great for making money...other parts might suit better for raising a family or retirement.

Best of luck to the OP.
    No, it's based on my experience of British people. You may have other views. We'll see how it turns out.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    It is a little depressing that this thread has become another bashing shop for Brexiteer/Remoaners and Big up/Bash down UK PLCers.
    Especially as the OP specifically asked the forum for the things they looked forward to returning to after time away from the UK.

Welcome back Q-W, my in-laws are based in Warwick, I will PM you when we are up there, your presence might be a good excuse to flee to the pub for an hour or two, provided that sounds like a good idea to you......

Dave
    Thanks Dave - I should be back for good, like Take That, summer 2021, and a trip to the pub sounds like a great idea!

The UK is such a variable place, what someone loves when living in London would drive them mad living rurally in Shropshire and vice versa. And for me, that is what makes it great - it is just so diverse and accessible. I don't know anywhere else where you can drive for an 2 hours and the local accent will have changed 3/4/5 times.

The coast is never far away.
    If you want space to get away from everyone, you can find it.
    If you want world class art and culture, it is here.

The weather is a bit crap, but I really missed the seasons when living abroad so need the seasons to keep me 'planted'.
    Just buy some decent waterproof gear and get out every day in the countryside with your dog, then you will realise that the weather may be a bit pants, but it just doesn't matter.

It isn't perfect, but nowhere is.
    Albeit, that pub in Magirus posts does look about as close to perfect as it can get....

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I don't know anywhere else where you can drive for an 2 hours and the local accent will have changed 3/4/5 times.
    I found that initially I couldn't "hear" English accents (even though my American English allowed me to hear the American accents).
    So hearing accents comes with a familiarity with the language. My point being that we have probably the same breadth of accents in French, and Richard or Menno will tell you they can "hear" where a person is from in Holland without any difficulty. Likewise, in Germany, Sweden or Spain, so pretty universal in any language I would think.

Likewise on the diversity of landscapes.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I found that initially I couldn't "hear" English accents (even though my American English allowed me to hear the American accents).
    So hearing accents comes with a familiarity with the language. My point being that we have probably the same breadth of accents in French, and Richard or Menno will tell you they can "hear" where a person is from in Holland without any difficulty. Likewise, in Germany, Sweden or Spain, so pretty universal in any language I would think.
    I am sure they are, but suspect the differences between Glaswegian, Geordie, Scouse/Manchester would be more stark. (OK, these are more like 3 hrs apart).

Likewise on the diversity of landscapes.
    Nobody said that diverse landscapes do not exist elsewhere, but this thread is about the UK.
    Last edited by Maysie; 20th October 2020 at 10:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I am sure they are, but suspect the differences between Glaswegian, Scouse and Manchester would be more stark. (OK, these are more like 3 hrs apart).
    You're wrong. Marseille / Nice / Genoble for example, or even more pronounced Strasbourg / Nancy / Mulhouse / Vesoul, or Boulogne-sur-Mer / Amiens / Rouen

You're wrong. Marseille / Nice / Genoble for example, or even more pronounced Strasbourg / Nancy / Mulhouse / Vesoul, or Boulogne-sur-Mer / Amiens / Rouen
    I suspected that I would be......

Returning to the UK after 20 years

It may be strange but I understand Glaswegian better than I can understand some people from Strasbourg. And that, of course, before they even start using their local lingo.

It may be strange but I understand Glaswegian better than I can understand some people from Strasbourg. And that, of course, before they even start using their local lingo.
    I can only speak with regards to my own experiences regarding the nuances of the spoken English language, as everything else is just foreign to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    If you can handle this you'll be fine:

Fallout from Brexit - No Deal

Tory Government

Horrendous weather

Most powerful person in the UK is Dominic Cummings

Different rules and allowances for the upper class

COVID management is a shambles

Roads and infrastructure are a total mess

Horrendous weather

High house prices

Tuition fees

Totally underfunded NHS

Totally underfunded Ambulance Service

Totally underfunded Police Service leading to

Huge crime rates

Knife crime epidemic

Institutionally racist country

And did I mention horrendous weather?

Welcome home.
    I remember your posts about the summer - here in Norfolk we had good weather throughout. I think you might be living in the wrong bit of the uk! and some countries don’t have an NHS at all......

I lived abroad for a year about 25 years ago.

I had a great time, but was glad to come home.

Things I think are good about the UK.

Sense of humour - you don't get it on the internet, but most British people are pretty easy going and will have a laugh most of the time.

Pubs - Nowhere else seems to do places to have a drink and a chat like we do, drinking in America is often particularly grim.

Seasons - I lived in Northern Europe, so we still had them, but I'd hate to live somewhere which was always the same weather.

Scenery - Lots of places have great scenery, but for a small country we have a great variety and plenty of it, only a short distance from big cities.

There are plenty of things I hate about the UK, especially now. If I didn't have an elderly mother, I'd definitely consider leaving.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I've been trying to think whats changed in the last 20 years. I remember waiting a year for an op on my knee so I don't think the NHS has got any worse. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned dogsh*t on pavements yet - I honestly can't remember the last time I had to hold a shoe under the garden tap while trying to scrape out bits of canine breakfast from the treads with a lollipop stick. So for me, Britain has improved significantly because there are far fewer barker's eggs lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I remember your posts about the summer - here in Norfolk we had good weather throughout. I think you might be living in the wrong bit of the uk! and some countries don’t have an NHS at all......
    I think he is missing lots of things.

1) Only 28 countries belong to the EU. About 200 don't.
    2) Many countries don’t have an elected government.
    3) Many countries have hurricanes, monsoons, typhoons, wild fires, blizzards/meters of snow, etc
    4) Dominic Cummings is not the most powerful person in the UK, however lots of countries do have dictators, kings, etc.
    5) Different rules for certain people, unlike every other country in the world.
    6) Covid shambles! unlike Mexico, India, USA, France, Spain, Belgium, etc, but at least we have a NHS service and social security to help out.
    7) Road/Infrastructure a bit of a mess - clearly never driven in Africa, parts of North America, parts of Europe and most of Asia.
    8) House Prices. Depends upon location, but try buying a 3 bed flat in somewhere like NY, Bangalore, Singapore, KL, Tokyo, Paris, Amsterdam, etc and see how much it costs.
    9) Tuition Fees. I assume he means University tuition fees, which are payable in most countries, but at least under 18 education is free.
    10), underfunded NHS, but at least we have a universal health service which is free at the point of delivery.
    11) Police and Crime. A largely unarmed and none corrupt police force and the UK remains below the average crime rate. Unlike many countries like the US/Mexico, South Africa, etc.

As for institutionally racist country. One of the first countries to ban slavery, one of the first countries to introduce equal rights laws, one of the first countries to permit votes for women, etc, etc.

But perhaps he can identify a few countries which tick all of these boxes.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I've been trying to think whats changed in the last 20 years. I remember waiting a year for an op on my knee so I don't think the NHS has got any worse. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned dogsh*t on pavements yet - I honestly can't remember the last time I had to hold a shoe under the garden tap while trying to scrape out bits of canine breakfast from the treads with a lollipop stick. So for me, Britain has improved significantly because there are far fewer barker's eggs lying around.

My biggest gripe with the UK (especially give its size) is the simple fact that rather than coming together as a society (times are tough) we seem to become more polarised into factions, not helped by the media and social media. Tolerance of other opinions, irrespective of what they seems to be in short supply at the moment. But I suppose that’s the price of freedom of speech. Another benefit of living in the UK.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    My biggest gripe with the UK (especially give its size) is the simple fact that rather than coming together as a society (times are tough) we seem to become more polarised into factions, not helped by the media and social media. Tolerance of other opinions, irrespective of what they seems to be in short supply at the moment. But I suppose that’s the price of freedom of speech. Another benefit of living in the UK.
    Good to see we're both talking sh*t.

#172 A list of 'whatabouts' - brilliant.

Blog Entries
    I would go further and say the media are actively encouraging the polarisation of the country into factions. Helped in no small way by the corona virus crisis. Which is a shame because the British people are usually very good at facing up to difficult times.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 21st October 2020 at 16:32.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Outstanding contribution.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I would go further and say the media are actively encouraging the polarisation of the country into factions. Helped in no small way by the corona virus crisis. Which is a shame because the British people are usually very good at facing up to difficult times.

The polarisation existed for years before Covid, however the recent growth of 24x7 MSM news, social media and the power of opinion (often sold as facts) has simply accelerated the fracturing. But unless you live in the PRC, North Korea, etc, then I suppose it’s a price we have to pay.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Are you saying the British people are no longer very good at facing up to difficult times and that's a shame, What yard stick are you using to determine this out of interest...Sure I'm on the outside looking in but there's been some real heroes as far as I can tell from what I've read/watched, not just in the NHS/care Sectors, essential workers, but also members of the general public who got themselves mobilised to supply ppe and other resources.
    Last edited by Passenger; 22nd October 2020 at 16:02.

Blog Entries
    You obviously missed the list of 'whatabouts' he was replying to. Or not.

Tory Government

Horrendous weather

Horrendous weather

High house prices

Tuition fees

Totally underfunded NHS

Huge crime rates

Knife crime epidemic

Welcome home.

Blog Entries
    Are you saying the British people are no longer very good at facing up to difficult times and that's a shame,

No I'm not saying that at all.

What yard stick are you using to determine this out of interest...

Since I never said it, no yardstick at all.

Sure I'm on the outside looking in but there's been some real heroes as far as I can tell from what I've read/watched, not just in the NHS/care Sectors, essential workers, but also members of the general public who got themselves mobilised to supply ppe and other resources.

Yes, I agree. Never said otherwise.

You want to come back to this?

“#TheWeekInTory returns, and I’m very sorry, but it’s a monster. The little scamps have achieved quite a lot in the - yep - FIVE DAYS - since the last one.
    Let’s dive straight in with probably the most gobsmacking sentence you’ll read all year…
    1. NHS staff were polled on whether, in recognition of their efforts to fight Covid 19, they would prefer to be given a badge or a snack box
    2. It was reported 2 out of every 3 hospices will have to make redundancies. In a pandemic.
    3. The govt published a poster: “We plan to cut all homeless people in half by 2025”, which is a bit severe even for Priti Patel
    4. The govt insisted we all comply with Test and Trace rules, and then excluded restaurants in the Palace of Westminster from Test and Trace rules
    5. In Sept Boris Johnson announced a £100bn “Operation Moonshot” to fix Covid “within months”
    6. A month later it was leaked Moonshot was cancelled
    7. The next day it was revealed the govt still pays over 200 private consultants up to £7000 per day each to work on Moonshot
    8. So 2 days after it was cancelled, it was reinstated, but now Boris Johnson said it will “take time”
    9. We’re still giving £100bn to private suppliers for a vaguely rapid thingy to do a hazily defined whatchamacallit that will happen too slowly to produce any useful results
    10. In May Boris Johnson reassured a grateful nation that “nobody will go hungry as a result of Coronavirus”
    11. He then denied food to the UK's 600,000 poorest children
    12. So Marcus Rashford ran a campaign to get the kids fed
    13. Then Boris Johnson congratulated Rashford on the MBE he got for his campaign to overturn the cruel policies of [checks notes] Boris Johnson
    14. And then 3 days later, Boris Johnson refused to feed the kids again
    15. And then, (because let's face it, allowing children to starve barely raises an eyebrow any more) the govt won a vote in parliament to prevent child refugees from being reunited with their families, because obviously that's helpful to ... anyone know who that helps? Anyone?
    16. But the govt pressed ahead with helping British people to lose weight (by starving them), and it was reported the (obviously) private contract to provide emergency food-parcels is charging £44 for a box that costs just £19 at Aldi. And the govt one contains rotting food.
    17. In Sept Boris Johnson said “a free press is vital in holding the government to account”
    18. This week, govt scientists reported they are being banned from speaking to the press, due to “the difficult political landscape”, meaning silencing science is a purely political act
    19. More media news, and it was revealed that following a long, noisy, mostly Lineker-focussed campaign to cut the wages of BBC staff, the Tories offered to increase the wage of the BBC Director General from £100k to £280k, but only if it could be Boris’s friend Charles Moore
    20. In June the govt gave a contract for PPE worth £32m to Pestfix, a sweet warehouse with assets of £18,000. The govt paid 75% upfront, and the delivered materials turned out to be faulty
    21. The govt has since awarded 5 additional PPE contracts to Pestfix, worth £313m
    22. The govt is now being sued to find out why it’s covertly handing out almost £350m to a crisp warehouse for PPE it has proved it cannot supply, and Pestfix is using the £350m to pay lawyers to stop us finding out why it got £350m in the first place. Still no PPE.
    23. And now, the latest update on Mark Francois...
    Nope, that's all I've got. Moving on...
    24. Boris Johnson announced the new lockdown rules were “simple enough for anybody to understand”
    25. He immediately got them wrong, telling the press separated parents could not see their children, convenient for a man who famously only acknowledges 57% of his offspring
    26. Anyway, Johnson then said the rules were obviously too complicated, so he would overhaul them. Again
    27. He said he’d liaise with local regions, and provide “improved financial support”
    28. He then forgot to liaise with local regions, and cut their financial support
    29. Boris Johnson said “whatever happens, nobody gets less than 93% of their current income”
    30. People get a max 67% of their current income
    31. The govt said it would “stop at nothing” to support people in Tier 3 areas
    32. The govt stopped at £7.85 per person in Manchester
    33. By contrast, Robert Jenrick improperly arranged a £25m gift to his own constituency - £237 per head, 30x as much as Manchester
    34. And Boris Johnson paid £100k of public money for “IT advice” from Jennifer Arcuri, who this week admitted they were actually having an affair
    35. Anyway, the Mayor of Manchester didn’t ask for such largesse, or even offer to pole-dance for the Prime Minister; he just asked for Manchester to get the same amount of money per person that is being given to Lancashire.
    36. Boris Johnson said he “completely understands” why Andy Burnham objects to the settlement
    37. And then Boris Johnson stopped understanding, and said Andy Burnham was “playing politics” and therefore he would impose direct rule on the region’s democratically elected Mayor
    38. And in further boost to the govt’s support for regions, Daniel Kawczynski, Tory trade envoy to Mongolia and successful brain donor, called for the Welsh Assembly to be scrapped
    39. Kawczynski then called for improvements to his local hospital to be scrapped. In a pandemic
    40. And then, after many eventful years calling for Britain to leave the EU, and objecting to a (non-existent) plan for an EU Army, Kawczynski, a technically sane man, tweeted that we should “begin the process of creating an alternative EU” that is “predicated on defence”
    41. Brexiters insist we can strike great deals around the world, and immediately failed in negotiations with Manchester and Wales
    42. Which brings us onto Brexit: and Boris Johnson’s oven-ready deal has skipped the middle-man and gone straight into the toilet
    43. This week the PM appeared on TV in the guise of a traumatised Shredded Wheat, and told us all we should get ready for No Deal
    44. It was reported Boris Johnson was “startled by the EU insistence” that he sticks to the agreements that he, personally, insisted the EU signed
    45. So the PM said we should walk away and have an “Australian-type deal with the EU”
    46. It was quickly explained to the PM that Australia doesn’t have a deal with the EU
    47. So Boris Johnson, now a master of detail, amended it to Canada-style deal next time he was asked
    48. But then it was revealed the Canada/EU deal includes an arbitration mechanism that Boris Johnson has already rejected
    49. John Redwood, a Tory MP and Vulcan, insisted all we want from the EU is the same thing Canada gets, such as protection of our fishing industry
    50. Canada doesn’t have a fisheries deal with the EU
    51. After a dizzying evening chasing reality in circles, it became an Australian-type deal again
    52. The business secretary was asked the difference between No Deal and Australian Deal and had to admit: nothing
    53. Brexiter Andrew Bridgen said we wouldn’t be limited to trading on WTO rules, we could trade on “WTO plus”, a thing that doesn’t exist
    54. The Chairman of the Royal Inst for International Affairs said “it now seems likely that Brexit will lead to the break up of the UK”
    55. The head of the CBI and head of the Fed of Small Businesses said the UK is not ready for No Deal
    56. Tesco chairman said the UK will have months of food shortages after No Deal
    57. British Pharmaceutical Society said there would be shortages of medicines if we have No Deal
    58. Even William Shatner – yes, you read that correctly – got involved, explaining that Brexit means smaller overseas businesses importing into the UK have to pay £1000 just to file the forms to register for VAT, and therefore would likely stop trading with us
    59. Reassuringly, the govt said it was “determined to continue to seek a deal”
    60. And then the govt told the EU not to bother coming to London for more talks
    61. And then multiple Tory MPs, each provided with real human brain, tweeted identical suggestions to “sod the EU”
    62. Michael Gove, a quasi-sentient almond who last year said “Let no one be in any doubt how difficult and damaging [No deal] would be”, now went on TV and insisted the EU had to “make constructive moves towards a deal”
    63. He then said, inside the same 2 minutes at the dispatch box in parliament, that talks had “effectively ended”; and then that the EU had taken the “constructive move” he demanded; and then that as a result, talks could now “intensify”. Wait for it...
    64. And then he refused to restart negotiations anyway, cos honestly, what do words even mean any more
    65. He claimed in parliament the UK would “do better” without the law enforcement cooperation we get from the EU, which made even Theresa May gasp “utter rubbish”
    66. And then Michael Gove said we shouldn’t worry about the 12% unemployment the IFS predicts would be caused by a No Deal Brexit, because we can create lots of new jobs building enough lorry parks to obliterate Kent
    67. I’m sure we’ll be fine, because the govt proudly announced a trade deal with Côte d’Ivoire, to which we sell 0.13% as much as we sell to the EU
    68. The world-beating Test and Trace service sent hundreds of people to be tested at a testing site in Kent that doesn’t even exist
    69. And then the world-beating app that is designed to give accurate information the public can rely on sent a series of incorrect and contradictory risk-level alerts
    70. But good news: profits at Serco are expected to jump 18%, which I’m sure is your top priority right now
    71. And on the subject of profit, Boris Johnson is rumoured to want to resign in March because his salary is too low. Which means in the middle of a Brexit crisis and a global pandemic, the Tory party will spend months fighting over which Dementor becomes the next leader
    72. It’ll be Priti Patel, obviously, because this week she announced she, personally, would tell judges what constitutes “inhuman or degrading treatment” (being an expert) and they should no longer use the globally accepted UN Declaration on Human Rights
    73. And now, unexpectedly, an all-bishops finale! The Archbishop of York was denied the traditional peerage on his retirement. I don’t know if you noticed - it's hardly worth mentioning, really - but he’s the first black Archbishop we’ve ever had
    74. The excuse given by the govt was that it “needs to limit the size of the house of Lords”, days after ennobling 36 peers including Boris Johnson’s brother, Ian Botham, and Claire Fox, an unrepentant apologist for IRA terrorism who just happened to support Brexit.
    75. Five archbishops appealed to the govt not to breach international law, which seems like a reasonable thing to ask. It's the law. Don't break it.
    76. Beta-version human and self-styled "Brexit-hardman" Steve Baker said “of course they entitled to these views”
    77. And then Steve Baker went on to say if they have the views they’re “entitled to”, they should be thrown out of the house of lords; and the Church of England, which the Queen is head of, should be disestablished. A perfectly sane response to being asked to obey the law.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    You want to come back to this?

“#TheWeekInTory returns, and I’m very sorry, but it’s a monster. The little scamps have achieved quite a lot in the - yep - FIVE DAYS - since the last one.
    Let’s dive straight in with probably the most gobsmacking sentence you’ll read all year…
    1. NHS staff were polled on whether, in recognition of their efforts to fight Covid 19, they would prefer to be given a badge or a snack box
    2. It was reported 2 out of every 3 hospices will have to make redundancies. In a pandemic.
    .................................................. .....
    77. And then Steve Baker went on to say if they have the views they’re “entitled to”, they should be thrown out of the house of lords; and the Church of England, which the Queen is head of, should be disestablished. A perfectly sane response to being asked to obey the law.”
    Usual load of rubbish.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 22nd October 2020 at 18:04.

Blog Entries
    Walter as i said in a previous post welcome back but as usual a simple post has descended into the usual cesspit so people take the politics and the private “wars” to the pit where you can all play with each other to your hearts content
    Last edited by mart broad; 22nd October 2020 at 17:50.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Usual load of rubbish.
    Perhaps you could be a little more specific, load of rubbish or some inaccuracies, or just stuff you don't want to read?

I think he is missing lots of things.

But perhaps he can identify a few countries which tick all of these boxes.
    But we're not talking about other countries,

Outstanding contribution.
    Aye whilst you do the usual 'hard facts deflection' that you're so well known for.

Anyhow G&D so take care and stay safe - everyone.
    Last edited by number2; 22nd October 2020 at 17:50.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Walter as i said in a previous post welcome back but as usual a simple post has descended into the usual cesspit so people take the politics to the pit where you can all play with each other to your hearts content
    This.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Perhaps you could be a little more specific, load of rubbish or some inaccuracies, or just stuff you don't want to read?
    I don't think copying and pasting a load of half truths and hearsay off twitter, is either relevant to the thread or necessary in the G and D.

Eddie, please lock this thread to stop the chimps from bringing their Bear Pit Tea Party into the G & D.
    The fools simply cannot help themselves, even though this is neither the sub-forum, nor the thread to do so.

Once again, welcome back Walter.

Dave

Shame people have politicised this thread, guess after Brexit and COVID, tensions are running high

Nevertheless, having lived overseas during childhood and a few times since, home is what you make it.

Enjoy all you can regardless and welcome home.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    To be honest, I can't wait to leave the UK. Once my final child has finished school and started uni I'm off!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I’m with you on that. I hate this country, completely and utterly. The lazy arse, grossly wasteful public services, the abolition of common sense, the overarching government data spying, the constant ludicrous form filling and box ticking, the pathetic red tape culture, the people who’ve “done a course” so know everything that’s best for everyone, and the horrendous weather all make life a misery on the whole.

The moment my business sells, I’ll be retiring elsewhere and never returning. Miserable sodding country it is.

Why the feck anyone would want to come back here, or come back at all belies belief.

Just IMO of course.

With regards to government beaurcracy, In my experience the UK isn't as bad as some......

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I’m with you on that. I hate this country, completely and utterly. The lazy arse, grossly wasteful public services, the abolition of common sense, the overarching government data spying, the constant ludicrous form filling and box ticking, the pathetic red tape culture, the people who’ve “done a course” so know everything that’s best for everyone, and the horrendous weather all make life a misery on the whole.

The moment my business sells, I’ll be retiring elsewhere and never returning. Miserable sodding country it is.

Why the feck anyone would want to come back here, or come back at all belies belief.

Just IMO of course.
    Pretty much agree with all of that. I never thought I would have said that but the last 10 years or so have changed my mind completely.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Master

Tory Government

Horrendous weather

Horrendous weather

High house prices

Tuition fees

Totally underfunded NHS

Huge crime rates

Knife crime epidemic

Welcome home.

I will say that the above post does illustrate, quite vividly, one thing that's unfortunate about living in this country. But it's not hard to ignore them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I will say that the above post does illustrate, quite vividly, one thing that's unfortunate about living in this country. But it's not hard to ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post