closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebay malarkey : what would you do ?

Master

Ebay malarkey : what would you do ?

Hello

Bought an item off ebay, fairly expensive £200 mark.
    I bought it as a spare backup as I already own a set. ( for several years).

The item arrives and just feels wrong to me , I examine it and can clearly see signs its a fake ; different to my original set , generally poor finish , glue lines , engraved writings rounded and not crisp.

I inform the seller ; ask if they have any proof its real ( they admit they don’t ).

I suggest I can send it to the manufacturer who I have a good business relationship with but point out that if they are fake the manufacturer may not return them. In which case the seller would lose the item and have to refund me.

Seller agrees to refund so I open a case with the sellers agreement citing fake goods sent. Send the goods back same day registered post through ebay returns.

Couple of days later I get an odd response from the seller saying they don’t have enough money yo refund me right now. I of course start to smell a rat.

Next day he sends me a message accusing me of swapping the item with a fake one.

I respond saying that is definitely not the case , I don't need the money particularly and wouldn’t waste the time scamming someone when I could just have bought them brand new with much less hassle. ; he got exactly what he sent me. And if he feels otherwise I’m happy to get the police involved.

Ebay meanwhile come back and say they have closed the dispute in my favour even though the seller claims the goods are not in the same condition. I assume I’ll get the money back one way or another through ebay.

I’ve never had a dispute on ebay ; for nigh on 20 years of using it. Should I leave negative feedback for this guy or walk away. Can I even leave feedback after a dispute is closed with a refund ?

It’s fine. Ebay will pay you if the seller can’t - then they pursue the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Should I leave negative feedback for this guy or walk away.
    If, as appears to be the case, your experience of the transaction was negative, then you definitely should leave negative feedback,

Master
    To be honest I’d probably have left neutral or even positive if he’d behaved correctly and refunded me without any nonsense.

I’ve left negative , he seems to do a fair amount of trade on ebay ; cheap traditional Indian clothing by the look of it. now he has just loss his 100% rating , strange logic he has .

Ebay always side with the buyer

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Ebay always side with the buyer
    Yep. Just ask Marius.

To be honest I’d probably have left neutral or even positive if he’d behaved correctly and refunded me without any nonsense.

I’ve left negative , he seems to do a fair amount of trade on ebay ; cheap traditional Indian clothing by the look of it. now he has just loss his 100% rating , strange logic he has .
    Unfortunately, eBays feedback doesn't mean anything. As a seller with negative feedback, you can contact eBay saying that the negative feedback affects your sales performance and 9/10 times they just delete it.
    I used to work with eBay and seen it many times.

Craftsman
    Ebay seems to have become a scam outlet now- anything over a tenner is a dodgy bet- Amazon a bit better in general but fakes are on there. A lot of the problem is we have become lazy,searching usually finds a genuine retailer at similar prices but is more faff so we take the easy route.

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Ebay seems to have become a scam outlet now- anything over a tenner is a dodgy bet- Amazon a bit better in general but fakes are on there. A lot of the problem is we have become lazy,searching usually finds a genuine retailer at similar prices but is more faff so we take the easy route.
    I think that’s way too bold a statement. My wife and parents have all bought their entire Xmas shopping for everyone on eBay and never had a hint of an issue. Must be hundreds of transactions.

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    We have used eBay a lot in recent years (buying and selling) and the vast majority of our dealings with folk there have been excellent. If things go wrong, eBay and PayPal are very good at protecting the buyer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    We have used eBay a lot in recent years (buying and selling) and the vast majority of our dealings with folk there have been excellent. If things go wrong, eBay and PayPal are very good at protecting the buyer.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Clearly there are times where an item is “too good to be true” In that case Caveat Emptor.

However I use it for things like oil from dealers such as Opie Oils. The list price is the same , but their ebay shop is shipped free. Saving £2.95 on a tenner bottle of oil. So worth doing.

Steve

Craftsman
    sometimes as yesterday find a company selling on their own web site and ebay and the item is slightly cheaper via ebay, often due to free posting.

Hello

Bought an item off ebay, fairly expensive £200 mark.
    I bought it as a spare backup as I already own a set. ( for several years).

The item arrives and just feels wrong to me , I examine it and can clearly see signs its a fake ; different to my original set , generally poor finish , glue lines , engraved writings rounded and not crisp.

I inform the seller ; ask if they have any proof its real ( they admit they don’t ).

I suggest I can send it to the manufacturer who I have a good business relationship with but point out that if they are fake the manufacturer may not return them. In which case the seller would lose the item and have to refund me.

Seller agrees to refund so I open a case with the sellers agreement citing fake goods sent. Send the goods back same day registered post through ebay returns.

Couple of days later I get an odd response from the seller saying they don’t have enough money yo refund me right now. I of course start to smell a rat.

Next day he sends me a message accusing me of swapping the item with a fake one.
    It's at this point ^^^^ that you really ought to have spoken to eBay, they have access to all messages sent via eBay, anyhow you are protected but I prefer to nip these things in the bud - so to speak.

I respond saying that is definitely not the case , I don't need the money particularly and wouldn’t waste the time scamming someone when I could just have bought them brand new with much less hassle. ; he got exactly what he sent me. And if he feels otherwise I’m happy to get the police involved.

Ebay meanwhile come back and say they have closed the dispute in my favour even though the seller claims the goods are not in the same condition. I assume I’ll get the money back one way or another through ebay.

I’ve never had a dispute on ebay ; for nigh on 20 years of using it. Should I leave negative feedback for this guy or walk away. Can I even leave feedback after a dispute is closed with a refund ?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    It's at this point ^^^^ that you really ought to have spoken to eBay, they have access to all messages sent via eBay, anyhow you are protected but I prefer to nip these things in the bud - so to speak.
    They had already found in my favour by this point ; before I had a chance to respond.

What was the item, just being nosey

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    What was the item, just being nosey
    Headphones

Craftsman
    I’ll be honest I’ve never left bad feedback even when someone has been a bit of a div. For example - I Bought 4/5 pairs of second hand Persol sunglasses and on arrival each pair was very bent and wayyy more used than the listing claimed and I had a few issues with them admitting they were more used than they had stated.

Anyway, needless to say I went and bought a new pair just to have peace of mind.

In your case because of the authenticity issue an even more bitter taste remains.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    I’ll be honest I’ve never left bad feedback even when someone has been a bit of a div. For example - I Bought 4/5 pairs of second hand Persol sunglasses and on arrival each pair was very bent and wayyy more used than the listing claimed and I had a few issues with them admitting they were more used than they had stated.

Anyway, needless to say I went and bought a new pair just to have peace of mind.

In your case because of the authenticity issue an even more bitter taste remains.
    I would have been happy to leave positive or neutral feedback if he had just refunded without any nonsense ; giving me a story about how he was low on funds and couldn't refund in the near term then followed up with an accusation I had swapped the item is what got him the neg not the fact they were fake ( which is bad enough to be fair but no skin off my nose if he refunded smoothly).

I’ll be honest I’ve never left bad feedback even when someone has been a bit of a div.
    Sadly it's that attitude which allows the bad sellers to carry on trading on eBay. (And it's the same when people don't leave Villain posts - when they are deserved - in H&V).

Craftsman
    I would have been happy to leave positive or neutral feedback if he had just refunded without any nonsense ; giving me a story about how he was low on funds and couldn't refund in the near term then followed up with an accusation I had swapped the item is what got him the neg not the fact they were fake ( which is bad enough to be fair but no skin off my nose if he refunded smoothly).
    I’m probably part of a minority but I’ll never spend any funds in off eBay until I’ve received positive feedback. Regardless of his fund situation you should be able to get a refund I guess.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Sadly it's that attitude which allows the bad sellers to carry on trading on eBay. (And it's the same when people don't leave Villain posts - when they are deserved - in H&V).
    I appreciate this, I’ve left it in the past but that’s mainly when things have arrived or when they’ve taken weeks to arrive turned up in ripped packaging etc.

When I’ve got my money back I drop part of the grudge..

Master
    I’m probably part of a minority but I’ll never spend any funds in off eBay until I’ve received positive feedback. Regardless of his fund situation you should be able to get a refund I guess.
    Not sure I follow you , are you saying you wouldn’t refund a buyer until they have left positive feedback ?

Ebay malarkey : what would you do ?

Not sure I follow you , are you saying you wouldn’t refund a buyer until they have left positive feedback ?
    He means if he was a seller and someone buys his item he would not spend that money till he was sure the buyer was happy and has left feedback saying such.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    He means if he was a seller and someone buys his item he would not spend that money till he was sure the buyer was happy and has left feedback saying such.
    Ah I get you now. Yeah I just took it as another sign that the guy was a untrustworthy scammer : excuse , excuse , excuse , accusation , is a common pattern with chancers generally I find.

Just taking a balanced view, what if the seller genuinely believed that the item was genuine and that you were trying to scam him, it is a regular Ebay story, maybe it is the trouble with Ebay, When selling something on Ebay we mark it with UV marker and take a picture, over the years this has put scammers off, we send the picture and don't hear from them again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Just taking a balanced view, what if the seller genuinely believed that the item was genuine and that you were trying to scam him, it is a regular Ebay story, maybe it is the trouble with Ebay, When selling something on Ebay we mark it with UV marker and take a picture, over the years this has put scammers off, we send the picture and don't hear from them again.
    We had significant communication where I explained why I felt they were fake and volunteered to send them to the manufacturer who I deal with a lot in business , in case I was just seeing model revision changes relative to my own set.

The seller opted to issue a return and refund , interestingly the item had been relisted "due to a timewaster" according to the seller . Makes me wonder if the seller had been rumbled before.

After this point was when the excuses and accusations started , luckily ebay has sided with me at this same point. I also said I was happy to get the Police involved if he was serious about his accusation.

I would say its not reasonable for the seller to believe I was scamming him and its just his smokescreen nonsense , he's got the neg from me and ebay have issued the refund notice so I suspect its all good now.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Sadly it's not as easy as that. eBay do not take any feedback which has been left into account when judging SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) claims.

Also, PayPal allow up to 180 days for SNAD claims to be raised, so if you really, really want to know that the money is yours to spend, with no chance of it being reclaimed, then you need to put it somewhere safe for at least 6 months. And, of course, it's possible for the buyer to do a Chargeback or Section 75 claim even after then...

Craftsman
    Ah I get you now. Yeah I just took it as another sign that the guy was a untrustworthy scammer : excuse , excuse , excuse , accusation , is a common pattern with chancers generally I find.
    That’s the one - The reason I don’t spend it is because of the breadth of people on eBay, in my own experience you’re much more likely to come across a joker on eBay than on a forum for instance.

Good point made about the guy potentially not knowing they were fake. Always a chance, but there’s an equal chance he knew and was very happy with the price he got when selling them.

Oh and cheers for clarifying rusty.