closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Returning to the UK after 20 years

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by farquare View Post
    On the plus side, Gregg's sausage rolls are delicious and cheap, they were about £7 each at in Dubai last year, so cheer up.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Oh no didn't you watch, what's in my sandwich the other night.. Greg's have mice that poo in there shops. Sorry but that's another negative for the UK.

I assumed that was a given....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I'm sure he will.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I'm sure that rather than permanently whingeing, wallowing in negativity and feeling sorry for himself Walter will crack on and enjoy himself here. ;-)

Master
    There seems to be a lot of unhappy people about. I'm a Johnny Foreigner who is now resident in the UK and I may have missed some halcyon past but I think it is a great country.

Beautiful countryside with great places to visit.
    Super produce and some great places that know how to cook it.
    London, probably the best city in the world.
    A respect for privacy and individual choice.
    Great pubs, albeit with variable bar staff.
    The worst January but it sets you up for a great May.
    The wine has got better, but still terribly over priced.
    A sense of humour.
    A respect for the law, without a fear of law enforcement.
    Sausage rolls, roast beef, and chicken and pork and lamb, Beef Wellington.
    Great art, literature, theatre, TV and films.
    Fantastic sporting events, even the ones I don't pretend to understand: I'm looking at you cricket.
    Great microbrand watch makers. :)

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Oh no didn't you watch, what's in my sandwich the other night.. Greg's have mice that poo in there shops. Sorry but that's another negative for the UK.
    All Greggs have this?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    There seems to be a lot of unhappy people about. I'm a Johnny Foreigner who is now resident in the UK and I may have missed some halcyon past but I think it is a great country.
    Only a few.

Good luck with the return.

I've lived in various places around the world (including Middle East, Far East, Australia and Europe). My observations of living in the UK are that when you aren't here you miss the things you took for granted. But some observations (and my non-British wife shares these)

- Scotland is awesome
    - London is the best place to live in the world
    - The UK has the happiest dogs in the world
    - British Pubs are wonderful
    - The produce is amazing, but;
    - On average the standard of cooking/food knowledge of the average Brit is miles below what you find elsewhere in the world
    - the 'national dishes' are crap (a plate of fried stuff for breakfast is not a gourmet experience)
    - the one exception is Fish and Chips. Scotland does it best. We have tried this everywhere in the UK and the world. Hard to get bad fish and chips on the East Coast of Scotland
    - The cost of living is quite reasonable here
    - The Brits drink a LOT of tea. And put milk in it. Don't judge.
    - Brits love to lambast the BBC despite it being by a country mile the best national broadcaster in the world.
    - There are some crap towns in the UK.

Of where I lived, I rated Australia above the UK overall but London a better place to live than anywhere in the world. Thailand is great but drives you mad after a while and the lack of political stability (plus feeling if getting milked as a foreigner) is stark.
    France was ok (lived in Paris) but the lack of social integration is appalling. Italians are nice but they need to be told to stop living in the past, their food is ok but the Asians have taken the concept of carbs and sauce and beaten them.

Middle East is ok but all very plastic. Dull after a while going from shopping mall to shopping mall or fake 'pseudo-Bavarian' dining experience in some identikit 4 star hotel.

You'll love the UK but won't realise it at the time. The UK is a great place to live.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 17th October 2020 at 20:46.

Craftsman
    the one exception is Fish and Chips. Scotland does it best. We have tried this everywhere in the UK and the world. Hard to get bad fish and chips on the East Coast of Scotland.

Please don't forget Haggis & chips.
    Makes me proud to be a Jock!

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    - the 'national dishes' are crap (a plate of fried stuff for breakfast is not a gourmet experience)
    The national dishes are crap?
    A good Sunday roast is one of the best meals in the world and a proper,quality full English for brekky is a thing of beauty....and must come with buckets of strong tea!

- The Brits drink a LOT of tea. And put milk in it. Don't judge.
    Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    The national dishes are crap?
    A good Sunday roast is one of the best meals in the world and a proper,quality full English for brekky is a thing of beauty....and must come with buckets of strong tea!

Ok I'll counter with a proper sunday roast cooked well is indeed great. However it is often not cooked well sadly. More often not in fact. People are more accepting of crap food in the UK I find which is a shame as the quality of produce is excellent. Other countries with a higher standard of culinary expertise that I've lived in (Thailand, Australia, India) do not have the quality of produce of the UK I find. Lots of our top notch seafood for example is shipped off to Spain and France.

Master
    My advice.Don’t do it. It’s a sh*t show of monumental incompetency over here.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Is it an extra cost?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

One of the best things about the UK is the proximity of variety.
    Within 2 hours of my front door I can be in mountainous Wales, on some of the best surfing coast in Europe, in the most complete city in Europe, or just in the middle of nowhere.
    The breadth of what this small set of islands can offer is really amazing, despite the efforts of many to mess it all up.
    D

People will be more easily offended than when you left, far more restrictions when driving, much higher crime rates and worse music. Large amounts of green fields have been built on and more architecturally interesting buildings have been demolished. On the plus side most people here still know right from wrong and we still have some of the most beautiful countryside and best Beer in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Live out in the Falklands.

Don't miss UK crime - people here leave houses and cars unlocked

Miss a good chippy, chinese, Indian and pint!! Also miss going to gigs however that of course is over for now.

Also shopping - takes 2 weeks to a month to get anything out here via mail order
    I live in Shetland and really enjoy the trips back to the mainland, usually Glasgow or down in S or SW England, for shopping and/or to see relatives. I don't miss the traffic jams. About 15 years ago I was picked up from Heathrow, we drove out of the airport into 5mph motorway traffic. A couple of years ago I rode down to Torquay, and the M6 was just hell with the road works. Shetland is low-crime, and it gladdens my heart to watch little kids of 5 plus make their way to school without their parents, and on foot or sometimes on their pushbikes or scooters. Those adults that walk keep an eye out for them, and I have helped a few across the roads.

I do miss a lot of things though: shopping, trees, decent coffee shops serving consistent coffee (although ours are pretty good on the whole), low wind speeds, cycle tracks, a bacon baguette from the snack van on the A2 (probably long gone), deep-filled steak and kidney pies, a decent Italian restaurant, parks, being able to sit on the grass (it's all peat or rocks underneath here, so you get a wet or numb bum), moderate temperatures (twenty's plenty for me).

I moved up here due to among other things, traffic, pollution, crime, housing costs. I felt that for a number of years the UK has spiralled into divided societies, where all too many people seem to be motivated by profit. One half of any society seems to be bleeding the other half dry, property renting being a good example. I would say that my lifestyle is much better here. I earn 80% of what I was earning 20 years ago, but I only work 4 days a week. My neighbours are no trouble. There is a decent and cheap public transport system. It's very difficult to pay for parking up here. Flights and ferries are expensive, and you need to get away to avoid rock fever. Everything is a little more expensive than the mainland due to the shipping costs. Almost everything comes in by ferry. With a captive audience you don't see the discounting in the supermarkets that you do south. Shetland is not without it's problems, particularly drink and drugs, but the support services, as far as I can see are well funded. The air is fresh and the mostly tree-free scenery is wonderful. You can often find yourself on a sandy beach in the middle of "summer" quite alone. Would I move? Maybe to somewhere remote in Scotland, I might even stretch to rural Northumberland, but England is now a last choice for me. Scotland just has a better way of life imho, or at least the parts that I see. Overseas? No, I lived in Germany for 5 years. A fantastic country, so clean and well organised, but I am too old now to be considering such things. I have got comfortable here.

Has anyone mentioned pork pies or bacon sarnies yet?
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post

Beautiful countryside with great places to visit.
    Super produce and some great places that know how to cook it.
    London, probably the best city in the world.
    A respect for privacy and individual choice.
    Great pubs, albeit with variable bar staff.
    The worst January but it sets you up for a great May.
    The wine has got better, but still terribly over priced.
    A sense of humour.
    A respect for the law, without a fear of law enforcement.
    Sausage rolls, roast beef, and chicken and pork and lamb, Beef Wellington.
    Great art, literature, theatre, TV and films.
    Fantastic sporting events, even the ones I don't pretend to understand: I'm looking at you cricket.
    Great microbrand watch makers. :)
    I don’t think there are as many unhappy people as you might think.

Sadly many people these days focus on the negatives of life. Having lived in Africa for a fair few years, any negative thoughts can never compete with the lives I encountered of those less fortunate than myself.

The UK has it all, just enjoy it and appreciate everything it has to offer!
    Last edited by Chinnock; 17th October 2020 at 23:20.

Craftsman
    Best of luck for your move back to the Motherland.

Nothing much to add in terms of what else to look forward to after so long away other than just the feeling of not being an outsider anymore.

We didn’t spend as long as you in the Middle East and haven’t quite made it back home yet but a lot of what you mentioned in your OP resonated with me. We spent three years in Saudi and a further five years in Qatar. One thing I definitely looked forward to after leaving was traffic enforcement! I don’t miss chancing the roads in the Middle East at all.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Sadly many people these days focus on the negatives of life. Having lived in Africa for a fair few years, any negative thoughts can never compete with the lives I encountered of those less fortunate than myself.

The UK has it all, just enjoy it and appreciate everything it has to offer!
    This. I don’t think people realise how much they have in this country. There’s a reason people are clamouring to come and live here.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    One of the best things about the UK is the proximity of variety.
    Within 2 hours of my front door I can be in mountainous Wales, on some of the best surfing coast in Europe, in the most complete city in Europe, or just in the middle of nowhere.
    The breadth of what this small set of islands can offer is really amazing, despite the efforts of many to mess it all up.
    D
    Absolutely this ^^^^, and easy access to 20 something other cultures within 2-3 hours to explore, oh hang on.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    This. I don’t think people realise how much they have in this country. There’s a reason people are clamouring to come and live here.
    And it isn’t for a good mug of tea, bacon sarnie or the beer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In no other country in the world can you in the summer when its raining hard with lashing wind,sit on the promenade of a coastal town eating fish and chips total contented.

Why would you want to?
    It’s so depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    In no other country in the world can you in the summer when its raining hard with lashing wind,sit on the promenade of a coastal town eating fish and chips total contented.
    - - - Updated - - -

Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    And it isn’t for a good mug of tea, bacon sarnie or the beer.

One of the greatest meals I have ever eaten was this summer in a small fishing village called Anstruther in Eastern Scotland. They had an epic chippy and the weather was awful. Fantastic haddock and chips with an ice cold can of Irn Bru, sat in the car with the wind and rain lashing outside. A meal fit for a king!

There's something quintessentially British and very satisfying about it.

I love the climate in the UK, it is perfect for cosy pubs in winter, village greens in summer and simply sitting by the coast, watching and listening, immersed in the moment. I have arrived, I am home.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    One of the greatest meals I have ever eaten was this summer in a small fishing village called Anstruther in Eastern Scotland. They had an epic chippy and the weather was awful. Fantastic haddock and chips with an ice cold can of Irn Bru, sat in the car with the wind and rain lashing outside. A meal fit for a king!

I could do that justice this very minute,you see a lot of old folk drive out to a headway park up and just watch the sea through rain swept windscreens (though I think that is me as well now,sadly).

When I lived in Whitby I loved the taste of salt spray on the tongue in a high wind that and the dark foreboding sky's over the harbour,time to get home and a roaring open fire.

Master
    Home cooked Sunday roast and a decent local butcher.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Home cooked Sunday roast and a decent local butcher.
    There isn't one in Ashford. There hadn't been any for years, then one started 2 years ago and is now closed. We used to have a decent butcher in the village, with a local abattoir at the back (independent). The abattoir has been converted into a close, the butcher is gone to be replaced by general foods which is fine, but butchers they're not.
    The best meat I've had in this country was from a farmer's market butcher in Sandwich, and he was part of the farmer's family that bred the cows. Outstanding ribeye. But a 40 miles one way on Thursday morning, it's not an easy option and we haven't been in years.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    There isn't one in Ashford. There hadn't been any for years, then one started 2 years ago and is now closed. We used to have a decent butcher in the village, with a local abattoir at the back (independent). The abattoir has been converted into a close, the butcher is gone to be replaced by general foods which is fine, but butchers they're not.
    The best meat I've had in this country was from a farmer's market butcher in Sandwich, and he was part of the farmer's family that bred the cows. Outstanding ribeye. But a 40 miles one way on Thursday morning, it's not an easy option and we haven't been in years.
    there are many more farm shops and community shops also honesty tables I buy lots of stuff that way,especially in the summer.

there are many more farm shops and community shops also honesty tables I buy lots of stuff that way,especially in the summer.
    I've been living in the area for over 20 years, and I am rather a foodie so trust me, I've tried a few. However a farm shop is no substitute for a butcher's skills, whether when selecting the carcasses, maturing them and cutting them up.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately many small butchers with their own abattoirs have been forced to close in recent years as a result of increasing bureaucracy I believe. A shame because animals have to travel further for slaughter and they provided a good service to their local areas.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Unfortunately many small butchers with their own abattoirs have been forced to close in recent years as a result of increasing bureaucracy I believe. A shame because animals have to travel further for slaughter and they provided a good service to their local areas.
    I agree. I live close to the Romney Marsh so many of the local sheep farmers used to bring their animals there.

Wrong. Marlow and sons, been there 50 years or so, or as long as I can remember, they are a family butchers and know their stuff, the queues at Christmas go right down the street, not a fancy looking shop but the produce is top notch, their sausages are great too.
    Bit of a disclaimer they are friends of my parents but I wouldn’t post if the sons weren’t carrying on with selling quality meat.

Thank you for all the responses and the debate! I'm not coming back to the UK blind, and I don't think that I'll wearing rose-tinted specs.

I'm looking forward to the pubs, the shops, the walking - Doha is not built for pedestrians!

And the rain will be a nice change. Even thought it might pall quickly.

And who knows? If it's not for me, I can always move abroad again!

Master
    Blog Entries
    to sum it up you will get wet and eat fish and chips by the sea after a long walk.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Can you back out? Don't do it, seriously. This country is in a terrible state and not looking like getting any better any time soon. I'd love to leave and still dream that I will one day. It's horrible here.
    If you can handle this you'll be fine:

Fallout from Brexit - No Deal

Tory Government

Horrendous weather

Most powerful person in the UK is Dominic Cummings

Different rules and allowances for the upper class

COVID management is a shambles

Roads and infrastructure are a total mess

Horrendous weather

High house prices

Tuition fees

Totally underfunded NHS

Totally underfunded Ambulance Service

Totally underfunded Police Service leading to

Huge crime rates

Knife crime epidemic

Institutionally racist country

And did I mention horrendous weather?

Welcome home.
    Why would you want to?
    It’s so depressing.

- - - Updated - - -

Correct.

Perhaps you should try spending some time living and working abroad David; I’m sure you’ll find that the grass really isn’t greener and that you’ll come to appreciate this flawed little island.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Perhaps you should try spending some time living and working abroad David; I’m sure you’ll find that the grass really isn’t greener and that you’ll come to appreciate this flawed little island.
    This.

Qui bene amat, bene castigat

Join The National Trust and/or English Heritage.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Don't think this country is a better place to live than many others, it's just what we're familiar with. I'm sure most French, Italian or others will claim theirs is a better place to live - everywhere has its plus points, they're just different.

Apart from trivial stuff like Marmite (Ok, might not have been mentioned) and pork pies the most common reason to like being here seems to be the scenery and the weather. If those don't appeal, somewhere else might well be preferable.

Don't think this country is a better place to live than many others, it's just what we're familiar with. I'm sure most French, Italian or others will claim theirs is a better place to live - everywhere has its plus points, they're just different.

Apart from trivial stuff like Marmite (Ok, might not have been mentioned) and pork pies the most common reason to like being here seems to be the scenery and the weather. If those don't appeal, somewhere else might well be preferable.
    This country was a significantly more pleasant place to live 20 years ago than it is now, if you're not a UK national, preferably white.

This country was a significantly more pleasant place to live 20 years ago than it is now, if you're not a UK national, preferably white.
    Was probably so for everyone.

Was probably so for everyone.
    Quite possibly yes.
    But I was not concluding a thesis, just expressing how I saw things from my perspective
    And you'd probably be able to say the same for many countries, so I don't believe it's a UK only thing.

Master
    This.

It really is the little things that we all take for granted that I missed most about living abroad.
    Ditto.

Always the simple stuff for me.

Proper bacon.

Crisps in “British” flavours.

Real cask ale, from the cask in a pub, by a fire, in autumn, after a long walk.

The smell of said pub.

Ribena.

Heinz baked beans.

Proper tea.

Blog Entries
    Quite possibly yes.
    But I was not concluding a thesis, just expressing how I saw things from my perspective
    And you'd probably be able to say the same for many countries, so I don't believe it's a UK only thing.
    It's probably an age thing. (sorry!) Most people of a certain seniority would probably say things were better 20 years ago, regardless of where they live. Personally I thought things were better in the 70's/80's, but young ladies and motorbikes might be clouding my judgement somewhat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    Ditto.

Always the simple stuff for me.

Proper bacon.

Crisps in “British” flavours.

Real cask ale, from the cask in a pub, by a fire, in autumn, after a long walk.

The smell of said pub.

Ribena.

Heinz baked beans.

Proper tea.
    Ah yes, remember a pub called 'The Case is Altered' out in the countryside. Basically you went into the front room and the landlord went in the kitchen to pour your drinks. Halogen days, halogen days....

One recommendation for when you return and get to use public transport - buy a decent set of headphones. When you are back in a country where you can understand every word that is being spoken without having to consciously tune in you'll be reminded of the brain dead banality of most people's conversation.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Age plays its part as well, no doubt. But I wasn’t that young when I arrived; it’s not like someone who lived his youth here.
    Its simple things; if I had a question about my tax return, a quick phone call and I had an appointment with an adviser from the Inland Revenue who would help me out. Now I need to fight a website for ages to get a simple paper. An appointment with the surgery was just that, not filling a form and wait for a doctor to call you back to see if your ailment was worth their time.
    Oh, and I work on and with websites every day so it’s not because I struggle with going online ;)